Author Topic: New guy, first build  (Read 55706 times)

Offline Cabilao

• Hot Shot
  • Diving and Driving
    • Sea-Explorers Watersport
Re: New guy, first build
« Reply #375 on: August 30, 2015, 06:31:03 pm »
awesome drawings,my skills end with a smily  :-[
 :-[
 ;)
before:
Kreidler RMC(50cc)
CB400N(first bike)
RD350LC(more than one)
XS850(great bike)
CB900F(wish i still have it)
FZR1000(too fast)
Rickman CR900(sold for a good price)
now:
Rusi 125
CB 125 CL(just for fun)
Yamaha XTZ 125
CB750P7(mystery bike)
77/78 cool 2 member

Offline P.abrera

• Hot Shot
« Reply #376 on: August 30, 2015, 08:07:34 pm »
Easy to imagine on paper, uwe. Hard to make in reality back to my current project for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #377 on: August 30, 2015, 09:32:57 pm »
Your drawings remind me of this Triumph a little, which certainly isn't be a bad thing.

Offline P.abrera

• Hot Shot
New guy, first build
« Reply #378 on: August 30, 2015, 09:46:37 pm »
Your drawings remind me of this Triumph a little, which certainly isn't be a bad thing.

Definite compliment, ive been looking at that one for inspiration, though im imagining a fuller half-fairing. I love the all metal look of that one though

The Flying J 550 is also a great source of inspiration. But the lines are a bit leaner than the slightly more muscled flavor im looking for.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:59:22 am by P.abrera »

Offline P.abrera

• Hot Shot
« Reply #379 on: September 06, 2015, 05:34:27 am »
Got around to converting to double disc up front. Didnt seem to need to file down the lower mount as others have had to but i did need to shim about 3 mm on the top mounts. Ran outa daylight before i got some fluid running through but fit up seems ok.

Offline edbikerii

• Master
    • Gallery
« Reply #380 on: October 16, 2015, 08:08:13 am »
Holy Cow, man!  I cannot believe you took that horrible pile of crap and turned it into such a beautiful machine!  I honestly would not have touched that bike based on the before picture.

I'm not on here that frequently any more, but I'm very sorry I missed this build until now, Paolo.

Did you ever sort out your tuning issues?  I see that you are working with a 76 and you have a whole different set of parameters (reverse cone exhaust, single pod intake, 3mm bored cylinders, etc.), but the basic steps to jetting are always the same.  I did a bunch of work tuning my old 77 (with different, lean-burn carbs than yours) for the coolest running cylinder head temps with an infra-red thermometer.  Do you have access to one?  They are pretty cheap lately.  Have a look at the link in my signature for more tuning info.  Mind you, "The Right Way" is to do it on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer, but I didn't want to lay out the coin for that.

Great Job!!!!
SOHC4 #289
1977 CB550K - SOLD
1997 YAMAHA XJ600S - SOLD
1986 GL1200I - SOLD
2004 BMW R1150R

Jetting: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20869.msg258435#msg258435
Needles:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20869.msg253711#msg253711

Offline knowsnothing

• Hot Shot
« Reply #381 on: October 16, 2015, 12:41:43 pm »
Got around to converting to double disc up front. Didnt seem to need to file down the lower mount as others have had to but i did need to shim about 3 mm on the top mounts. Ran outa daylight before i got some fluid running through but fit up seems ok.

Looks so good i am doing a 550 front end swap on my cb350f with the KZ wheel.  ;D  I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.  Are you using the 550 front axle? Did you have to make or use any spacers?  Also, i am guessing you are using the KZ speedo drive?
1978 CB750k Green - 811 engine
1978 CB750k Blue - for sale
1974 CB375F Faded Black - had to have that 6th gear
1976 CB400F Red - in many pieces
1973 CB350F TBD - in many pieces

Offline P.abrera

• Hot Shot
New guy, first build
« Reply #382 on: October 18, 2015, 05:36:55 am »
Holy Cow, man!  I cannot believe you took that horrible pile of crap and turned it into such a beautiful machine!  I honestly would not have touched that bike based on the before picture.

I'm not on here that frequently any more, but I'm very sorry I missed this build until now, Paolo.

Did you ever sort out your tuning issues?  I see that you are working with a 76 and you have a whole different set of parameters (reverse cone exhaust, single pod intake, 3mm bored cylinders, etc.), but the basic steps to jetting are always the same.  I did a bunch of work tuning my old 77 (with different, lean-burn carbs than yours) for the coolest running cylinder head temps with an infra-red thermometer.  Do you have access to one?  They are pretty cheap lately.  Have a look at the link in my signature for more tuning info.  Mind you, "The Right Way" is to do it on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer, but I didn't want to lay out the coin for that.

Great Job!!!!

Thanks man, i appreciate the positive comments. Further tuning on the bike is on the back-burner and its been moth-balled for a few weeks, some changes at work are taking priority at the moment but ill be back to it once the smoke clears IR thermometer tip is solid, will look into it
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:21:19 am by P.abrera »

Offline P.abrera

• Hot Shot
« Reply #383 on: October 18, 2015, 05:39:30 am »

Looks so good i am doing a 550 front end swap on my cb350f with the KZ wheel.  ;D  I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.  Are you using the 550 front axle? Did you have to make or use any spacers?  Also, i am guessing you are using the KZ speedo drive?

Used the kz wheel/axle/speedo drive as is on the 550 fork, so far no problems. Make sure you use a speedo with the correct ratio though to get an accurate reading.

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
« Reply #384 on: October 18, 2015, 05:51:15 am »

Nice build man.
I can Pimp those Rotors for you if you'd like:
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/album03/Godfferys-Garage-123/Parts+and+service/

Offline P.abrera

• Hot Shot
New guy, first build
« Reply #385 on: October 18, 2015, 05:54:56 am »

Nice build man.
I can Pimp those Rotors for you if you'd like:
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/album03/Godfferys-Garage-123/Parts+and+service/

Ive seen the goods

Id be all over your service if i was stateside

Keeping it in mind for the next build. Hopefully with a bit more budget to spend.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 05:59:50 am by P.abrera »

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
« Reply #386 on: October 18, 2015, 01:00:29 pm »
 Well you did one heck of a job bring that bike back to life!
It sure looked pretty far gone!

Offline cocinero196

• Enthusiast
« Reply #387 on: December 19, 2015, 05:46:29 am »
Sorted my oil cooler plumbing. Lines are an inch longer than i needed though my fault, mismeasured

hi paolo, was it really necessary to install an oil cooler? was there a significant difference? if so, what conversion/mods and parts does one have to get? where was your oil cooler from originally?

TIA!

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #388 on: December 19, 2015, 02:40:16 pm »
Some vanity shots from last weekend

Some nice images!

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline P.abrera

• Hot Shot
« Reply #389 on: December 19, 2015, 10:11:38 pm »

Sorted my oil cooler plumbing. Lines are an inch longer than i needed though my fault, mismeasured

hi paolo, was it really necessary to install an oil cooler? was there a significant difference? if so, what conversion/mods and parts does one have to get? where was your oil cooler from originally?

TIA!

I dont know if it was "necessary" but i figured it couldnt hurt given our hot climate and traffic conditions. For a four-season country an oil cooler might work against you in the cooler months though (oil might not get up to working temp). I used a nighthawk cooler and an spin-on oil filter conversion plate from cycle-X plus some NPT braided hoses that i had made up

Offline P.abrera

• Hot Shot
« Reply #390 on: December 19, 2015, 10:12:06 pm »

Some vanity shots from last weekend

Some nice images!

.: Scott :.

Thanks man

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #391 on: December 19, 2015, 10:46:52 pm »
An oil cooler might come in handy in the Philippines.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline cocinero196

• Enthusiast
« Reply #392 on: December 20, 2015, 12:00:41 am »

I dont know if it was "necessary" but i figured it couldnt hurt given our hot climate and traffic conditions. For a four-season country an oil cooler might work against you in the cooler months though (oil might not get up to working temp). I used a nighthawk cooler and an spin-on oil filter conversion plate from cycle-X plus some NPT braided hoses that i had made up

It looks OEM, nice and clean install! Very impressive! ;)
Btw, I found this...http://www.5thgearparts.com/products/1984-honda-cb550-nighthawk-oil-cooler
Is this the same as yours and would the adaptor on this work on a '77 CB550?
May I know the size of the NPT hose that you used?

TIA!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:34:14 am by cocinero196 »

Offline P.abrera

• Hot Shot
« Reply #393 on: December 21, 2015, 03:01:47 pm »

Btw, I found this...http://www.5thgearparts.com/products/1984-honda-cb550-nighthawk-oil-cooler

TIA!

Thanks

Yes, thats what i used on my build. You'll really just use the cooler radiator itself. The hoses and plate will not work with the older sohc 550's. The adaptor sandwich plate i used from cycle x will work on all the years of the sohc 550's.

Offline cocinero196

• Enthusiast
« Reply #394 on: December 21, 2015, 03:28:21 pm »

Yes, thats what i used on my build. You'll really just use the cooler radiator itself. The hoses and plate will not work with the older sohc 550's. The adaptor sandwich plate i used from cycle x will work on all the years of the sohc 550's.

Cool! Thanks for the info! May I know the size and kind of NPT hose that you used? I'm a bit concerned about Oil pressure leakage though, especially in the fittings that'll be used, may I know how you made sure that this won't be an issue? Thanks again! Learning so much from this forum  :)

Offline P.abrera

• Hot Shot
« Reply #395 on: December 21, 2015, 04:03:32 pm »

Cool! Thanks for the info! May I know the size and kind of NPT hose that you used? I'm a bit concerned about Oil pressure leakage though, especially in the fittings that'll be used, may I know how you made sure that this won't be an issue? Thanks again! Learning so much from this forum  :)

Theres not a ton of pressure to worry about. You will need to buy the necessary fittings for the adapetr to run a cooler. You can get them at any hardware store, the size you would need is 1/4” NPT with a 1/2” barb. Braided stainless hoses are a bit overkill IMO and were more of an aesthetic choice for me. Just make sure the hose is rated for heat as it will be hot oil circulating from the crankcase coupled with heat from the headers given the location and routing of the hoses.

Offline cocinero196

• Enthusiast
« Reply #396 on: December 21, 2015, 04:55:38 pm »

TIA!

Got it! Thanks buddy 8)

Offline P.abrera

• Hot Shot
« Reply #397 on: December 21, 2015, 05:06:01 pm »
No prob. Just payin it forward. Got lotsa solid input from the good folks here when i was up to my elbows in my build