testy

Author Topic: CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing  (Read 14528 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
Re: CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2020, 08:11:40 pm »
I'd say buy a couple of them while you can. ;)

Are you suggesting they might no longer be available soon?

George

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2020, 05:22:20 am »
Also thinking about a 650 oil pump as several members have replaced the 550 pump with one.  Guessing it provides more volume or pressure.  Would like to hear from someone who has made the swap to confirm if that is correct.

I'd like to add a 650 pump to my engine as well. I bought one but the oil passage or the pressure gauge threw me for a loop. Do we just use the 650 guts and the 550 housing?

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2020, 07:57:21 am »
i just put one on my 500/4.... no issues,

650 internals are wider (thats why you want them :) ), so no fit in 500/550 outer... the pressure gauge outlet can be simply plugged...  cant really follow whats the problem...

i use that outlet to feed the cam

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2020, 01:03:05 pm »
been away form my bike for 3 months of lockdown, so just had a look. The 650 pump is a simple bolt on...

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2020, 08:49:12 am »
I was concerned with the 650 pump's extra port on case side for pressure sensor. I guess it will seal?

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2020, 12:57:24 pm »
ok, got you now, i just threaded and plugged that hole with an M4 screw

it's the tranny oil feed for the later models.

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing - 2020 Update
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2020, 01:24:25 pm »
In spite of Covid 19 we are back racing in 2020!  My 2019 season was cut short after the Island Classic in January.  In March of last year, during a routine colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with anal cancer.  After chemo, radiation, and surgery I am cancer free!   I have regained my health and hope to stay that way.

My bother Mark retired last year and at the age of 61 decided to go road racing.  He built a Kawasaki F7 175 based bike to run in Formula 125 with AHRMA.  So far it has been a struggle to take a bike designed to put put in the woods and make it run wide open on the track.  He holed a piston at the first track day and seized while breaking the rebuilt motor in.  I had purchased an 82 Honda Hawk CB450T for us to use as a track bike and endurance race.  With Blackhawk Farms less than two weeks away I pulled multiple long days and got it race prepped for him.  My CB550 has been ready and waiting for me since last summer.

Both bikes ran well in the heat at Blackhawk.  It was 90 degrees Saturday and 94 degrees on Sunday.  Mark completed his first race weekend with only one off track excursion and took the checkered flag in both Vintage Superbike Lightweight races.  I spent the weekend slowly getting back up to speed.  My competition in F500 was Kevin Dinsmoor on his CMR framed CB550.  He was smoking me in the corners and won both races.  I finished 2nd in class and fifth overall Saturday, but by Sunday I was picking up the pace and was also 2nd overall.  Formula 750 was my bump class and also finished 2nd both days. 

Gingerman was the following weekend and we were blessed with sunny, but cooler weather.  Highs in the 70's.  The Honda Hawk continues to run trouble free like the proverbial Swiss watch.  Mark found a little more pace and finished in 5th place both days in Vintage Superbike Lightweight.  Dinsmoor was again my competition in F500.  He tells me I have speed on him down the straights.  He continues to run off and hide from me in the corners.  Had a good race on Saturday with Sokolich on an RD400.  He was riding better than me and took second place behind Dinsmoor with me in 3rd.  I found some more speed on Sunday and beat him out of 2nd with Dinsmoor winning again.  Also ran F750 on Saturday and finished in 2nd. 

Matt Esterline (slick willy)was at both races with his Sportsman 750.  Won't steal his thunder except to say he had what appeared to be very good weekends.  With 4 races completed over 4 race days we are now qualified to race at the AHRMA October Barber event. 

Today I was performing my post race inspections and pulled the 550 oil pan.  Much to my surprise there was part of a gear in it.  It had been captured by the magnetic drain plug, but was too big to go through the drain hole.  Not sure yet which gear it is from, other than it appears to be a sliding gear.  From the parts diagram it could be third on the main shaft, if it is on the counter shaft it could be 3rd or 5th.  As I recall the custom gears I got from Moore Engineering were not sliding gears, so I may have dogged a bullet.  Particularly since he closed his business after a racing accident.  Will know later today or tomorrow when I spit the cases.  By happenstance Jim French is doing some welding for me.  When I mentioned my failure he suggested R&D Transmission in Florida.  Says they do gears for drag and Moto America racers. 

Wishing everyone a healthy and virus free 2020!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 05:55:54 pm by Rocketman »

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing - Broken Gear
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2020, 06:05:05 pm »
Pulled the motor and it is sitting upside down on the bench.  Pretty sure it is 3rd that has broken.  It is one of the dogs that engage the gear next to it.  Looks like I have all of the missing fragment in the one piece I found. 

I'm thinking I can pull the lower case off and do the repairs without disturbing the top end.  I have never done this before, but  can't think of a reason it won't work.  May be time to have the whole box checked.  Anyone have a favorite shop they use to magnaflux their gears?

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2020, 04:58:33 am »
Martin, your bike is amazing. Its like racing a piece of art. I am in love with that bike.

Your prep and build quality is second to none. Your engine is STOUT! I have some work to do for sure.

I left Gingerman with a different kind of trophy this time. I broke my left foot pretty bad. Drove 14 hours home. Surgery 2 days later. Barber might happen, likely won't. 2020 just has a way of continuing to stink.

shout out to Mike for the amazing head work. I missed a few shifts(like always!) and never hurt the valve train. My motor runs well but Martin has opened my eyes!

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2020, 05:45:00 pm »
 Thank you Kevin. Unfortunately I'm not an orthopedic surgeon otherwise I may have been able to have helped you with the foot too. ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 06:05:55 am by MRieck »
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2020, 10:10:27 am »
Kevin. I missed your accident!  After the F500 race I focused on helping my brother.  What happened?  Hope you heal fast. 

No doubt Mike is the man for head work!  I think the dyno will show a new high for HP. 

I can now confirm it is possible to remove the transmission without taking the top end off.  Sending the tranny to R&D Motorsports in Florida for magnafluxing.  The good news is neither of the custom gears from Moore Engineering were involved.  The engagement dog broke off and fell to the bottom of the oil pan.  Does not appear to have caused any other damage.  Didn't even come out of gear!

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2020, 04:55:30 am »
Martin, I jumped into the Sportsman 500 race to race with some friends on my stock framed CB350, that way I could leave a little early since my intended 350 race was much later in the day. Well first the clutch was dragging and I couldn't find neutral on the grid, stalled the motor, went off second wave, I had to pop start, head down, caught the pack, filtered through, took the class lead on lap 6, went into T3 and lost the rear tire, then high side. Not sure what happened. Have a decent video of it, still cant tell. May have been some oil down. Not sure.

I have also split my cases without pulling top end, so nice to be able to do that.

I also use R&D in Florida. good work from that shop.

;
Honda