Author Topic: New national record for Super Eliminator  (Read 13504 times)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
New national record for Super Eliminator
« on: November 23, 2015, 02:59:10 pm »
Okay folks, its official, I set a new national record in Super Eliminator for the A/SS class. I lowered the record by 4 tenths, to a 10.60. They're mailing me the official certificate and i'll post it here when it comes. Follow the link below for the article on Dragbike.com. Looks like our man Bill Benton has put up a challenge to me for next season on the record. This is really going to get interesting folk. I actually left 2 tenths on the table, so Bill has a lot to make up to even catch the new record and then surpass the quickest ET I've run on the bike to date. Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition. http://www.dragbike.com/super-eliminator-biggest-showing-at-man-cup/

I also won the low ET and highest mph awards for Saturday's race in our SOHC  challenge from this forum. Bill won best reaction time by snatching it away from our newbie racer, 
Wilbur (Madmountainmotors). Bill presented me with a nice clock to commemorate the accomplishment and made the announcement during the opening ceremony. I also went on to win all 3 of the categories on sunday for reaction time, low ET and highest mph but no clock this time-lol. Oh yeah, it was a triple zero light that won me the reaction time award on sunday.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
Re: New national record for Super Eliminator
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 03:06:04 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D BIG CONGRATS :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Triple-ought is my favorite load ;)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:07:05 pm »
Sorry, forgot to attach a picture of the award from the SOHC challenge. Thanks Bill.

By the way, each of the 5 categories I won came with a cash award of $100 each. Yes, thats $500 for the weekend. I donated all of the money back into the SOHC bonus in street ET. Its my way of literally "putting my money where my mouth is" to show my commitment to getting more SOHC bikes out to race with us at the Man Cup series. Although we only had 4 bikes show up this time with 3 actually in competition both days, I'm hopeful we can build the SOHC bike count up for next season. Its a lot of fun and the other racers, spectators and announcers really love to see the old Honda 750 bikes out in competition once again.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 03:24:51 pm »
Yeah, Frank shows up with an obvious agenda and something in his hand AND A BIG GRIN ON HIS FACE. Then he whips it out! No not that, his triple zero ticket. WOW. Shot Bill down on that one.  ;)

What if we get 2 triple zero's or other matching numbers? What should be a tie breaker? ET or speed? Split the pot?

Frankie, please explain that class??

Oh, congratulations  ;) ;D  I knew you'd like the clock. Bill did good  :) You weren't getting away with just a national record.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 03:46:50 pm »
Yeah, Frank shows up with an obvious agenda and something in his hand AND A BIG GRIN ON HIS FACE. Then he whips it out! No not that, his triple zero ticket. WOW. Shot Bill down on that one.  ;)

What if we get 2 triple zero's or other matching numbers? What should be a tie breaker? ET or speed? Split the pot?

Frankie, please explain that class??

Oh, congratulations  ;) ;D  I knew you'd like the clock. Bill did good  :) You weren't getting away with just a national record.

Jerry,

Bill was grinning and bragging a little too much about winning the reaction time challenge on Saturday. I figured we'd seen enough of that expression. Lol.

Good question about the tie in reaction time. I think in many cases it about who does it first if all the numbers are the same. Or maybe that's the criteria we should adopt for next season.

As to Super Eliminator, the rules are really murky to me on how each class and record is set up. Its even more confusing when you realize you're racing against an index based on that record, and have a breakout rule without actually loosing the round as long as you cross the line first. Confused yet?? I was all weekend in that class. Nevertheless, the new National record for A/SS, which is a street bike type class for the old Honda's is now 10.60. The previous record held for almost 20 years until I lowered it at the Cup race. Something for the next guy to shoot for-Bill are you listening??

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 03:50:14 pm »
 Congrats Frank....excellent performance..
 How close did the new guy get on reaction time ? He must be good..or lucky..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 04:05:00 pm »
Congrats Frank....excellent performance..
 How close did the new guy get on reaction time ? He must be good..or lucky..

Wilbur can post up his reaction times. I will say I was impressed with his performance given this being his first time ever on a drag strip. Yes, he's been a part of our pit crew for a few years now, but he didn't allow the pressure of being a  participating newbie at one of the biggest national events to get to him. He consistently lowered both his ET and his reaction time. He made rounds too. This was on a basically stock bike- foot shifting to boot.

I can't wait to see what happens when Wilbur actually preps a bike in full race tilt.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 04:06:10 pm »
Wilbur  cut a .022, .015, and a .070 that I recall. Mr Loney....congratulations, you deserve it! Wilbur's going be fun to watch. Trey should be back, c'mon guys its big fun!   I will see you in April if not before. Any races at your home track left this year?  If you tie on reaction time, then whoever runs closest to their dial in will be the winner. That good with y'all?  .......Payback, hmmmm, oh man, is next year going to be fun!!  Billy Bling not Bentens yet! There's going to be a bonus for first in the 9's also, an N/A one and one for non N/A bikes. Frank, you did a most awesome job of throwing down the gauntlet,  and yes I picked it up!  ;D
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 04:30:19 pm »
Wilbur  cut a .022, .015, and a .070 that I recall. Mr Loney....congratulations, you deserve it! Wilbur's going be fun to watch. Trey should be back, c'mon guys its big fun!   I will see you in April if not before. Any races at your home track left this year?  If you tie on reaction time, then whoever runs closest to their dial in will be the winner. That good with y'all?  .......Payback, hmmmm, oh man, is next year going to be fun!!  Billy Bling not Bentens yet! There's going to be a bonus for first in the 9's also, an N/A one and one for non N/A bikes. Frank, you did a most awesome job of throwing down the gauntlet,  and yes I picked it up!  ;D

Run with it Bill. You've got enough parts and resources to surpass my puny National record. I'm sticking with my primary goal of getting an SOHC in the top ten in points in one of the Man Cup classes- either street ET or Super Eliminator. Both tough classes.

Now get that turbo bike ready and lets see a 9 second pass. Who needs a stinking 10 second time slip anyway!!!

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 04:32:07 pm »
Way to go frank!!!!
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline sohc boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 04:41:07 pm »
Congratulations on your record Frank , good to see
i live by the voice inside my head

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 04:49:49 pm »
So, where do automatics fit into Super Eliminator?

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 04:57:29 pm »
I'd ride mine in and leave it at Bill's but it might get blinged LOL

Whadda ya think a mostly stock 1000 with a 315 and 33.5 head would turn?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 05:25:57 pm »
Congratulations Frank, pretty cool to hold a national certificate. Right on man right on!

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 05:27:48 pm »
So, where do automatics fit into Super Eliminator?

That's a great question Jon. As I said earlier, I'm very confused on the classifications and race procedures. I can tell you its pro tree, bracket racing on a national index for your bike. You're given a dial in based on your average runs with a breakout percentage rule. Yes, I'm confused by it all and I'm probably not explaining it right. If you lower the index during time runs, your dial in gets readjusted somehow.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 05:30:09 pm »
I'm going to research the rules so I fully understand how it all works.

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 05:58:30 pm »
congrats dragracer,very cool,now you have another nice memory!!billp
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 06:06:37 pm »
I'm going to research the rules so I fully understand how it all works.

#$%* it Frank! Put the hammer down and kick some DOHC ass!!  ;D

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 06:08:22 pm »

Whadda ya think a mostly stock 1000 with a 315 and 33.5 head would turn?
Who would be riding it?  ;D ;D ;D

Very cool holding a NATIONAL RECORD, Frank. Congratulations!

I am also interested in how an Automatic would be treated.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 06:10:01 pm »
Congrats to all involved! I don't understand half of it, but I love all of it!

We'll never get a record, but I can't wait to gather some more timeslips.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 06:18:12 pm »
Way to go Frankie 8)

I'm curious to hear more about the Super Eliminator class as well.  I didn't see much info online.  So your particular  record, is this for a certain age range(for the bike that is ;D), cc limit, tire limit?  Just curious.

I'd like to see Billy get down to your lower/mid 10s with an improved Cobra girl.  With the right chassis/tire setup he should have a good shot at it once he gets the most out of the bike.  I'm sure HP potential isn't holding him back.

George

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 06:30:59 pm »
In my cases, they inspected the bike based on the model/ make. They then looked it over for add ons like the aftermarket pipe, the extended arm, and if it had a stock clutch, lockup or slider. Self starting etc..  I was then placed in the A/SS class. Ss being super street. Not sure where the A came from but the bike had to fit all the criteria. Keep in mind this was a 20 plus year old record that I broke. The parts on my bike are basically from that era with the exception of the rear Shinko tire. All else was available back then in one form or the other in particular the engine parts. I'm sure there were better builders and riders than me 20 years ago. So I'm going to attribute my success in lowering the record to the sticky tire and better track surfaces.

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 06:33:39 pm »
I'm sure HP potential isn't holding him back.
"Potential" is the KEY word.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 07:09:50 pm »
 ;D
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 08:24:01 pm »
Is that the Cobra motor?