Author Topic: The "Why am I building this?" bike - 1971 CB500 K0  (Read 10076 times)

Offline NobleHops

• Don ya be callin' me no
  • Expert
  • Misfit - Tucson, Arizona
The "Why am I building this?" bike - 1971 CB500 K0
« on: December 29, 2016, 07:40:18 pm »
Hoy hoy lads,

I have been scarce, but not because I don't love you. Just for fun, this is one of the projects that has kept me entertained very recently.

A year or more ago a bike popped up here, a 1971 CB500K, reporting very low miles. Seemed like it had good bones, fairly complete. With a quick call to one of my brothers that lives nearby (Washington State), I made a deal with the seller, including paying him some extra to drop it off at my brother's house. For a variety of reasons having to do with the guy being a giant flake, my brother ended up going to get the bike, not getting a title, and not getting any refund for what I paid for delivery. So this did not start well. Dear brother relayed the bike to me last spring before a shared trip down Grand Canyon and I trucked it home to my hoar^^^^COLLECTION. And there it has sat, along with *mumble* other bikes. 

Finally I had a talk with myself a month ago about all the bikes I have been hoardi^^^^COLLECTING, and that was a step in the right direction. So I have dedicated one of my three lifts to the....COLLECTION, with the intent to thin the herd of the bikes I don't have much amore for as quickly as I can, and to concentrate on the ones I DO really want to build.

SO...

That is how I came to own this homely, unvaluable bike with great potential to immediately find myself upside down on, because I cannot bear to flip a bike and have it be a POS. And so with no further ado, here it is.

That's a 71 CB500 K0, showing a scant 2100 miles on the odometer. It is in many respects pretty solid, the chrome is good and usable, the gauges seem decent. and the engine shows only light damage from tipover-grade mishaps. The head gasket is leaky, carbs are stuck, tires are junk, it is missing an airbox and battery box, and naturally the brakes are junk end to end, as are the handlebar switch pods and perches.  The interior of the tank is B-, has light rust, but definitely usable. Paint sucks. Forks have big rust at the top of where the gaiters should be, but mercifully the tubes are good in the travel area. It's got some funky lowering brackets on the rear shock mounts that were the first thing we removed. Good thing it was cheap :-).

First we hosed it off:

Started to take a closer look at what we really had.

*big sigh*

We'll fix it, as fast as we can do a decent job of it, then see if we can find its forever home.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:54:40 pm by NobleHops »
Nils Menten * Tucson, Arizona, USA

I have a motorcycle problem.

My build thread: NobleHops makes a 400F pretty for his wife: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131210.0

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
Re: The "Why am I building this?" bike - 1971 CB500 K0
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 07:58:23 pm »
First thing we did was pull the wheels off, cleaned up the hubs and spokes in the vapor blaster, checked the bearings and replaced the tires and tubes.

We pulled the swingarm out, you know WHILE WE WERE THERE, took it apart, cleaned and regreased and retorqued everything, found the fit to the bushings still good,  put it back together. Cleaned out the rear brake drum, roughed it up with the dry blaster to break the funky glaze, did the same to the rear shoes, greased where it ought to be greased, cleaned where it shouldn't, removed those funky brackets on the rear shocks and put it back on its rear wheel.

The entire triple area is really rough looking and of course the steering head was centering very noticeably once we got the weight off it it, so we need to take the front end apart. We will replace the steering head bearings, repaint the triple clamp, top bridge, handlebar clamps and speedo bracket, and then we will rebuild the fork with new seals and oil, vapor blast it. etc. and install the gaiters that belong on this bike, hiding whatever is left of the rust after we soak it with naval jelly. We replaced a bad axle clamp stud, removed the brake caliper, grease-pumped out the frozen piston, and stripped it and the master cylinder and vapor blasted and then repainted it all in preparation for rebuilding it. We are replacing the brake line. Can't send it out without fully functioning brakes, can we?

Everybody's favorite drag racer (Bill Benton) dug into his treasure for an airbox, a set of handlebars complete, and a solid battery box, so we set to cleaning those up too...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:59:17 pm by NobleHops »

My build thread: NobleHops makes a 400F pretty for his wife: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131210.0

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 08:15:05 pm »
My neighbor James Hale (Harisuluv) happened to have a good rebuildable carburetor rack core for this bike, a happy fluke, and so those are rebuilt and the steel is replated, and they are tucked away, ready to go. The insulators are soaking in my wintergreen brew while we clean up other stuff, seemed solid and actually less than rock hard, so the plan is to reuse those. These carbs are actually very good cores and will clean up once the steel is replated, but they are plenty gummy and partially stuck.

The aluminum alloy covers on the bike and the tappet covers naturally look like crap, although the engine paint on the crankcases looks surprisingly good. Of course we have the fix for this on the other side of the shop, so these were all removed and vapor blasted, and new seals and a gasket kit were ordered. Cams and bearing surfaces looked fine, no unusual wear or play. Hooray!

The starter was crying out to me as you can clearly see in this picture :-), so we extracted it, disassembled, inspected and cleaned it, lubricated it and cleaned up the exterior, and bench tested it, good to go.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:19:13 pm by NobleHops »

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 08:27:05 pm »
OK, you guys routinely blow me away with the sharp eyes, so this is a test. First person to answer this correctly will get some kind of prize: a peck on the cheek, or free shipping of some shocks, or something vapor blasted. Something they'll love ;-).

This is the left side crankcase cover, just after I removed it, still has the clutch cable installed. What is wrong with this picture? Click for a larger version and give yourself a fighting chance.

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 08:48:05 pm »
What else...

The wiring is in nice shape overall, but even so we have opened up every connector and cleaned every contact, inspected the wiring, cleaned up the sheaths and insulators. This is a 'before' shot.

A few days ago we set the tank to soak in vinegar, and today we pulled off the badges and emblems, cap and lock, and blasted a few iterations of paint off of it and the sidecovers. Along the way we learned that the bike was originally painted in the Candy Jet Green of this model year. Tomorrow it gets a coat of Caswell epoxy inside. We have ordered a half-pint of Star Light Gold, and will hunt up a stripe kit before we hand this off to be painted. That will of course require that we get new badges, right? Restraint is for pussies.

Tomorrow we also hope to get the front end all the way apart and the fork refinished and rebuilt, and the black parts painted and curing over the weekend. Then we will put that back together with new steering head bearings, put the front wheel on, mount the carbs and airbox and battery box.

Then we need to rebuild the brake caliper and master cylinder, install those and the brake lines, and clean and test the replacement switch pods.

Once we can get it on its wheels we will pull off the oil sump to inspect and clean it, and take a beady eyed look at what we can see of the lower end of the engine. And then it's time to finish the tune-up stuff, fire the beast and see what we have got engine-wise.

That about catches you up. Stay tuned, and don't forget to make your entry for the "Sharp Eyes" contest above ^^^.

N.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:52:24 pm by NobleHops »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 08:57:15 pm »
Hey Nils....been wondering what you been up to.  You been busy!

Clutch rod does not look good.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 09:21:36 pm »

DINGDINGDINGDING

That has got to be some kind of record. Yes, the clutch pushrod is in two pieces. And scarce as hens' teeth. And although it did seem simple to fabricate, I did not want to think about something 'made' making an oiltight seal, so I popped for a NOS one from DSS.

Well done Steve!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 09:25:39 pm »

DINGDINGDINGDING

That has got to be some kind of record. Yes, the clutch pushrod is in two pieces. And scarce as hens' teeth. And although it did seem simple to fabricate, I did not want to think about something 'made' making an oiltight seal, so I popped for a NOS one from DSS.

Well done Steve!

Too easy.  I've already had the shocks shipped, but still need the H2 carbs vapor blasted!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 09:35:06 pm »

Too easy.  I've already had the shocks shipped, but still need the H2 carbs vapor blasted!

I will hook you up, smahht guy. :-)

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 01:59:00 am »
Signing on to follow your great work as usual & the inevitable shiny parts.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 04:02:39 am »
Looks lovely, as always, Nils. While you have the valve cover off, best to refresh the pucks and re-torque the head for "assurances".

And don't forget the single steel ball bearing on the end of the clutch rod, beneath the cam.  ;)
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline GV1390

• Hot Shot
  • Express Gratitude.
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 04:30:39 am »
Solid donor! Look forward to these updates, Nils. Stellar work as usual.
93' GSX-R1100, 78' CB550, 71' CL350, 71’ CB500 & 02' ZRX1200R.

Offline Restoration Fan

• My wife will never call me
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 05:25:49 am »
Looks lovely, as always, Nils. While you have the valve cover off, best to refresh the pucks and re-torque the head for "assurances".

And don't forget the single steel ball bearing on the end of the clutch rod, beneath the cam.  ;)
Nils,
Same thing had happened to the clutch rod on the 500 I've been working on so I bought a new one as well.  I also replaced the little steel ball bearing and while at it, I just went ahead and bought like 5 of them.  If you need one, PM me your address and I'll gladly drop one in the mail to you.

Ron

P.S. (Oh yeah...fantastic work as usual.  Subscribed.)
Ron

Stella - Logan's Senior Project    78 750K http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141761.0

Logan's Reward - CB500 and CB550 Cafes    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,147787.0.html

Offline Camrector

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 11:50:46 am »
Great work so far Nils!! Can't wait to see more.

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 12:49:32 pm »

Nils,
Same thing had happened to the clutch rod on the 500 I've been working on so I bought a new one as well.  I also replaced the little steel ball bearing and while at it, I just went ahead and bought like 5 of them.  If you need one, PM me your address and I'll gladly drop one in the mail to you.

Ron

P.S. (Oh yeah...fantastic work as usual.  Subscribed.)

Ron, thank you so much - I'd be glad to have one of those, and you can mail it to the shop please!

RestoCycle LLC
850 E Ohio St, Suite 17
Tucson, AZ 85714

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 12:53:48 pm »
You guys are awesome as usual.

Not many people in the world understand why we all plunge headlong into projects that will never have the monetary value of what we put into them, let alone encourage the process. I know I can always count on you though :-). przjohn put it perfectly in another thread recently, and I have quoted him in my signature for the next little while, it was so delicious.

Let me fire off a quick update and then I am off to my other threads to make fun announcements re the vapor blasting business.

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 12:59:10 pm »

Great stuff Cal, thanks. I did replace the pucks but did not retorque the head and that is a great idea, and might help staunch the leaky head somewhat if I am lucky. I am for the moment holding out hope that I will not get sucked into doing the top end. I will pop the rocker cover and do that next week.

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 01:19:02 pm »
Alright, I am going on record here and saying that we are NOT doing the full Monty on this bike, this is not getting restored, we're just putting it back into the world to be enjoyed, and just this once we are NOT getting (entirely) carried away.

OK so I made one of those knucklehead errors I am supposed to know better about - the tank looked great after a multi-day vinegar soak, so we emptied it (and a cup of flaky rust) out, gave it a good drying rinse with acetone, and then quick like a bunny with the reversed shop vac to dry it. And that is the moment I would normally dump a cup of WD40 into it to stabilize the steel somewhat, but my painter's wibbling about the evils of WD40 on soon-to-be-painted items echoed in my ears and I left it be. And it flash rusted, as I guess I knew it would. Compounding my folly, we had already blasted the metal spotless and so the re-soak resulted in some vinegar on the outside of the tank, which put a quick patina of rust on it too.

D'OH!

SO... we gave it another day with the vinegar, and that cleared up the flash, gave it another good shaking rinse with the acetone, and it looked great inside again, and then we dried it again, and then we gave it a nice coating of the Caswell epoxy, and that is curing over the weekend. And then we will dust off this exterior rust and that will be that. And I don't mind sharing my folly, even though I knew better, and didn't do it, but this is my takeaways and best practices for anyone that hasn't treated a tank:

1. You should really do your best to get any heavy rust and crud out of it before you do anything else with chemicals or coatings. My personal favorite is to jam a pressure washer into the neck and try to blast out any loose dirt and sediment first, then use a length of sash chain obtained from Home Depot to shake around there to dislodge anything that remains. Sash chain is easily retrieved with a magnet.

2. All vinegar is not created equal, and the cheap #$%* I buy from Costco is diluted with water to achieve a specific 5% acid concentration. It still worked, but I think undiluted vinegar would be better, or one of the commercial solutions like Metal Rescue, and I am going to see about that next time. I favor vinegar because I feel no pangs about sending it down the drain when I am finished.

3. You really have to go end to end with your process if you can. If you're going to coat, it should be done as soon as the tank is clean and dry. Anything else is inviting Extra Fun.

3a. If you're going to strip the exterior for paint, do it AFTER you clean and or line the inside.

Monday we will dust this off again...

But the inside looks like this, and you are looking through the Caswell epoxy here:

...so I am declaring victory over the tank for the moment and moving on.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 02:27:31 pm by NobleHops »

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 01:23:38 pm »
A gallon of Distilled White Vinegar at the Home Center in the cleaning products aisle works very well. And it's $2/gallon. Beat that! You can fill the tank entirely for under $10 and soak it once and insure you get the underside of the top (where rust really likes to collect!). Then down the drain or toilet if you're on a septic field  :D

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 01:28:28 pm »
Gotta love the Caswell.  I've never had a problem with it but I have had issues with redkote, etc.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 01:45:33 pm »
I'm a whore for nice new parts. Is that so wrong? I love restoring old parts, but for things like cables and brake lines and seals and what not, bring it on. 4-into-1 has been a great supplier for us, and many of the repro parts they sell are good AND cheap, and they get them in my hands in two days. Great supplier.

A can of brake cleaner and a half can of WD40 and a few sheets of cardboard gave their all so we could see this metal again. Moment of silence.

I pulled the oil pump off, replaced the orings, inspected the relief valve, all clean and good, turns smoothly. Primed it in some clean oil, reinstalled it. We're going to replace the clutch pushrod and shifter shaft seals before we put this back together, as soon as the new clutch pushrod and Ron's ball arrive.

We reassembled the rocker cover and installed it and the breather with new orings and pucks, but we're going to pop it back off and retorque the head per Cal's suggestion. NBD, I hadn't adjusted the valves so it's no real backtrack, and I already did the head-scratching about which bolt/screw goes where, which took more time than anything else. What is the conventional wisdom about a torque value and process to use for a retorque? Factory spec? More? Two stages?

Side note - points looked great - spotless. Thank heaven for small favors. Rotor did too. Clutch cover is back on, popped the clutch pressure plate off to retrieve the pushrod and measure the fibers and springs, found both A-OK. Installed a new kickstart shaft seal over a prophylactic of electrical tape over the splines, Practice safe seals!

Starter is back in too.

Took off the janky handlebars in preparation for stripping the front end.

Yeah, this looked like total crap, there was no "tidying this up", it is for some reason in much worse shape than the rest of the bike.

Well well, what have we here? Anybody got a solid top bridge in their stash? Cosmetics unimportant, I will refinish.

Knocked the bearing races out, will clean that all up next week in preparation for reassembly and installation of new steering head bearings. The fork parts are in that box too, the plan is to derust the tubes with naval jelly, stabilize that metal as best I can, and rebuild these with new seals and oil.

And then the brake and wheel reassembly and put this back on its wheels.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:56:44 pm by NobleHops »

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 01:56:13 pm »
When I torque a head that has been sitting (as this was), I release all the nuts in reverse sequence. Then I torque in two stages. If you haven't replaced the head gasket, which I know you haven't, then I don't bother with the overnight sit.

But i think it's always best to undo them, and step them in to insure even, full torque is achieved. My approach to it...

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 02:00:00 pm »
When I torque a head that has been sitting (as this was), I release all the nuts in reverse sequence. Then I torque in two stages. If you haven't replaced the head gasket, which I know you haven't, then I don't bother with the overnight sit.

But i think it's always best to undo them, and step them in to insure even, full torque is achieved. My approach to it...

Thanks as always! Stock torque values per the manual? More?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 02:06:58 pm »
Stock values for stock studs.

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 02:12:55 pm »
Stock values for stock studs.

Perfecto, thanks.