Author Topic: '73CB500  (Read 6930 times)

Offline rusty2078

Re: '73CB500
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2019, 10:45:36 am »
Thanks for the upper triple advice, I vaguely recall seeing that referenced in one of the build threads...was thinking about drilling the R6 top and using standard bar-mounting technology, but this is a more elegant (and professional looking) solution by far.....past the point in life where clip-ons are compatible with my neck/shoulders/wrists, and planning on a standard style-bar.

With this very recent R6 front end purchase, I'm rather committed to going this route, although the advice about the same manufacturer/common parts is sound logic. Another bonus was that the bay vendor is out of Quebec, don't have to pay exchange, and shipping is a lot more reasonable pin a national scale, as opposed to ordering stuff in, and paying shipping/handling/brokerage in USD.

CW: I don't think I'll need any stock parts, but if you'd like to PM me a list of what you have, I'll take a look...I would be on the prowl for a better tank than mine, either 500/550....and same goes from this end about take off parts....I like that ReCycle out in Stony Plain gives store credit and will do parts swaps +/- cash...haven't been out there in a few years, but had good dealings with them.

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 11:40:12 am »
Oops,the rotor used is a cbr600 F3 not the F4 rotor...
Sorry.  Memory is not what it used to be...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2019, 04:10:17 pm »
All good...just doing a little research into the FZ triples, finding 2 different designs, both for the 43mm fork...older design appears to have cast risers into the triple, while the later design (09+) seems to be more angular by design and have removable fork risers...?

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2019, 04:13:22 pm »
Oops,the rotor used is a cbr600 F3 not the F4 rotor...
Sorry.  Memory is not what it used to be...

Do you have a link to a build thread or any pictures of your triple setup, by chance?

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2019, 05:16:20 pm »
2004-06 FZ6 fader top triple works as does later '07-09 FZ6 top triple but you get a cross bar clamp covering part of the handle bar and it has the Yamaha tuning forks logo cast into that bar. The 04-06 used two separate clamp blocks as pictured in the eBay listing.  There are some silver plastic caps you can get from the dealer which cover the socket head bolts that attach the handlebar clamp blocks and they give a more finished look and keep the water out of the bolt heads.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Yamaha-FZ6-OEM-FORKS-UPPER-TRIPLE-TREE-CLAMP-IGNITION-NO-KEY-/254170328031
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:19:09 pm by RAF122S »

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2019, 05:17:49 pm »
Yes FZ6R had removable/bolt on riser blocks.

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2019, 05:57:01 pm »
Thanks David! That's fantastic information....had some down time today (day off shift) and have been going through a parts compilation list, and getting some prices in mind...hoping to move my last "project" before too long, so that I don't have to store it and can re-allocate some of the proceeds towards this one.

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2019, 07:07:45 pm »
FZ6 went to quad piston calipers on 07 and later FZ6 and FZ6R bike...using same 298mm rotor.  In case you wish to start watching auctions for a good deal. Sometimes you can find a better deal on two calipers than you can with one. Rebuild kit as well will be needed to refresh the caliper seals.  Hopefully you will  find a good caliper not needing anything other than cleaning and the seals replaced, not needing new pistons.  New pistons can get expensive.

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2019, 08:21:57 pm »
Indeed....my rough assumption (hope, dream even...?) is that with a newer caliper that rust/pitting/scoring on a piston wouldn't be an issue...but, buyer beware when dealing with used parts. Small things add up in a hurry!

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2019, 03:37:30 am »
 I used the R6 top triple and drilled it for some CB350 twin risers I had laying around.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2019, 07:40:31 am »
Another resident of the infamous (these circles) lost socket garage?? That looks very clean, indeed...decisions, decisions!

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2019, 07:43:35 am »
And a little peak at your Scrambler....I had a '13 that I did a trip around the Gulf Coast on (Tampa-MCAllen, TX) a few years ago...enjoyed the bike, but it magically transformed into my wife's engagement rig....

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2019, 06:33:12 pm »
The R6 fork conversion is now gaining impetus: 2000 fork with triples (Ebay Canada), a set of quad piston callipers from an '07 and the steering head bearings sourced through All Balls bearings website.

Next item I'd like input on is exhaust...my system is pretty much shot, other than the #3 pipe. Wondering what others have had success with..planning on a pretty much stock rebuild, nothing fancy for performance mods, most likely stock carbs/airbox. Your thoughts??

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2019, 10:08:01 pm »
I found a set of 4 into 2s from Japan from a fellow member for my project bike as it came with no exhaust. I am Leary of the MAC exhausts as I do not feel the quality is there for a long lasting exhaust system.  But, that said...the originals are not known for long life either.
There are a couple good performance oriented solutions like Delevic 4-1 system but it and others like it are loud.
Odds are the stock pipes can still be sourced from someone like CMSNL or repo parts like David Silvers but they are quite pricey.
If you are patient you can find Jardine exhausts from time to time on EBay that are NOS. But, odds are against you on that front unless you are willing to wait.
The Motad exhausts are probably better quality than the MAC exhausts and DSS carries them.
FWIW, my $0.02
David

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2019, 08:09:22 am »
Thanks David, it seems like most of the common aftermarket systems are either Mac or the Yosh-pattern from Carpy. The stock system is beautiful, however far too expensive for this bike (concours restoration, it ain't!). I've had Mac on an XS650 previously, it did the job, but I wasn't entirely thrilled with the build quality, as you mentioned. I've seen a couple of designs with a 2:1 that look quite nice, as they parallel the bottom frame rails and have a nice little kick up at the end...the downside was that they were a one-off boutique bike build (Ellaspede CB550, Brisbane, AUS), (Ripple Rock Racers, Toronto, Ontario, "OZ" build).

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2019, 09:04:20 am »
Uh, correction in your thinking...  Carpy did Not come out with the Yoshi pattern pipes in recent years...  MotoGP made some beautiful Yoshimura pattern pipes but I think he quit making them for the CB bikes because of some bad customers making him fed up with the hassle. He made the best ones out there. Carpy is an acquired taste and I do not expect I will acquire that taste.

Ripple Rock carries the Delevic and they make the 4 into 1 as well as a 4 into 2. Both are great value as they are very good quality.

The exhaust is an area on the bike you will have to spend some money, just like you will for shocks. It might smart to do so, but better in the long run.  If you intend to keep a 550 around you could always just throw a cheap Mac system on the bike if you sell it one day and keep the exhaust for your next 550.

Just insure the bike for what it is worth when you are finished with your build. Agreed upon policies for stated value or appraisals are the way to go...
My $0.02

David

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2019, 01:57:36 pm »
Agreed...this is an area where I feel a bit guilty about thinking about aesthetic appeal being on par with performance. Most of my bikes have been twin cylinders of various origin and singles (enduro), with an abundance of well designed exhausts to choose from...a bit less choice for a vintage CB. I do like Kemp's (Ripple Rock) 2:1 system, and have made an initial inquiry along those lines....like the visual appeal of each side having the bottom frame rail paralleled by the header, and equally important, that he's worked with Hindle to reduce a performance-enhancing product....the bonus for me is that any $$ transaction is in CDN funds, with less shipping....with exchange being what it is, an exhaust priced at $500-ish USD works out to around $625 with exchange, plus shipping.

Also agreed that a lot of the systems out there don't do a whole lot for me, either in terms of visual appeal...each to their own though.

Cheers!

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2019, 03:13:15 pm »
Brain fart on my memory... Ripple Rock carries the Hindle...a very good pipe!  Yes, I like their 4 into 2 pipes alot.
David

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2019, 10:40:44 am »
After some back and forth with Kemp (very nice guy, BTW!), decided to go with his 2:1 system, as built for his "OZ" bike....it's not a mass-production item that he's marketing (no jigs for reference, but starting from scratch), but he's agreed to build another, so another little research step "conquered"!

Just had a little time over the weekend to pop out to the garage for a bit, to loosen fasteners and drain the oil. Pleasantly surprised that only 1 JIS machine screw is stuck (left side, cam cover)...everything else loosened up without drama. Also happy to note, that other than dirty oil, no filings noted, and nothing on the drain plug (presumably, this is magnetized).

Did find this though, under the oil filter cover...any ideas on why Honda would inscribe this?

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2019, 12:56:00 pm »
A couple more questions that require group wisdom, in terms of parts suppliers/sourcing/quality: for my rolling chassis list, I'm looking at ordering a new set of rims, as opposed to getting the originals re-chromed (chrome is flaking, but the rims aren't pitted per se) as this is most likely going to end up on-par for cost. Options that I've seen:

Buchanan's: seem to be best choice, with great reputation, but greater cost
Vintage CB750: DID steel rims, OE spec/original supplier, good price point but heavier (assuming this here) than alloy...anyone used these??
4 into 1: "Rising Sun" alloy rims...cheapest for a set, but I'm a believer in the "you get what you pay for" mantra...anyone used these?

I'm also a believer in spending more money on things that have a direct impact n my health and well being, such as wheels and brakes....

Along these lines, looking at gasket sets for my engine rebuild (engine will be completely taken down, cleaned, inspected and rebuilt)...options thus far:

CycleX: gasket kit for complete engine (n/k brand)
Vintage CB750: Athena kit, OE manufacturer, located in Canada, less $$ in shipping, while being on par for purchase price
4 into 1: Vesrah kit, either with seals or without

Again, I'd rather pay a bit more for correct fitment and a quality product, wondering what experiences have been with these products?? If anyone has any other sources please feel free to chime in!

Thanks!!!

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2019, 03:11:58 pm »
CognitoMoto carries 17" Warp 9, lower cost but good quality but need to check to ensure you can get the correct # of spokes for the hub...recall seeing them note something about being only 36 spoke for some of the sizes possibly.  Their hub comes in either 36 or 40 spoke configuration...
They also have Sun and Excel Aluminum rims and can anodize the Sun rims in black or gold if that floats your boat... I like natural myself.
Excel in dimpled or non dimpled are available.

Akront rims are another aluminum rim option and there is Borrani as well.

Vesrah makes good gaskets and I have heard good things about CycleX gaskets, especially favorable for their MLS head gaskets.  The pucks will need to be sourced in addition to the gasket set and HondaMan has said that you need to be careful on them as many are too thin and do not seal properly or for long as a result.
But, that said...most recommend you go with Honda gaskets as they often are far better fit than some of the gasket sets out there...definitely a more expensive route.

BTW,new DID rims have rim info stamped onside of rim, unlike originals...

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2019, 06:53:26 pm »
Thanks again, David...I feel like I'm going to be repeating that a lot! Warp 9's are certainly popular with the supermoto and enduro crowd (had a set for my XR650L), but I'm most likely going to stick with the stock sizes/profiles...17' wheels (Cognito) don't really appeal to me from an aesthetic perspective, and since my engine is going to be stock, I don't think it makes sense to go with super bike profile rubber. Thanks for the advice on gasket sets as well...I've bought some package deals in the past and found quality to range from OK to GOOD, just weighing the convenience of "acceptably good" vs. extra legwork and cost. The 1 recurring theme that does keep popping up is getting Genuine Honda "pucks", and carb boots...1 less decision to make!

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2019, 06:55:52 pm »
The first (of what will be many) Ebay packages arrived today...complete set, requiring rebuilding, 2000 R6.

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2019, 12:40:45 pm »
Those 2000 R6 forks look great, and function even better.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline rusty2078

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2019, 12:58:23 pm »
I'm quit excited about this...I'm sure there are some older posts from 2015-ish kicking around, as I had started the exact same project back then...however, in the interests of marital harmony and prudent financial stewardship, I sold several projects to fund both my wedding and home renovations...I actually had another 500, plus the R6 assembly, parts, etc that ended up going to a young fellow who was interested in building his first bike (and did a great job of it!). While this may not be the smartest time to be taking on a project (work, volunteer, full tine post secondary, and expecting first child next year while finishing up said renos), I'll slowly pick away at it. My wife realizes that this is one of my creative outlets and is fully supportive!!!