Author Topic: What did you do to your non-SOHC4 motorcycle today?  (Read 21030 times)

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: What did you do to your non-SOHC4 motorcycle today?
« Reply #525 on: June 10, 2024, 03:39:33 pm »
I threw on an extra Quad-lock knockoff so I can take pictures or video while riding, I can control my phones camera with voice commands thru my cheap helmet comms. Then I added a set of cheap CNC adjustable levers, I suppose they're nicer than stock but I haven't ridden with them yet.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 03:41:13 pm by Alan F. »

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #526 on: June 11, 2024, 05:06:35 pm »
Please be careful with that cheap brake lever and consider what part is possibly most important in your braking system.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #527 on: June 11, 2024, 05:25:40 pm »
Very true Sean thank you for mentioning it. These levers from the seller I bought from have a very good reputation for several years now, that's why I succumbed to their alure. I'll throw the stock levers into my tool roll.

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #528 on: June 12, 2024, 05:01:30 pm »
Added some crash bars.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #529 on: June 15, 2024, 04:14:45 pm »
Looking good Alan, I wondered how you were going to clear the chunky front tyre with the stock fender, but those little raising blocks have worked well. Good looking "adventure bike". ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #530 on: June 15, 2024, 10:02:16 pm »
Thanks Terry, they're better street tires than I'd hoped actually. I won't have any trouble getting out to find some dirt to ride on. Suspension mods and a few other things are coming up.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #531 on: June 15, 2024, 10:28:57 pm »
Thanks Terry, they're better street tires than I'd hoped actually. I won't have any trouble getting out to find some dirt to ride on. Suspension mods and a few other things are coming up.

Hi Alan,have you already replaced your rear shocks;how do you plan to improve your front forks ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #532 on: June 16, 2024, 05:09:59 am »
Rear shocks are still stock, I'm shopping for the right deal. They're not bad at all, just short travel for street use, they're 360mm or 14" with just 88mm or 3.47" of travel.

Forks on Interceptor and Continental GT 650 are 41mm made by Gabriel. RE Himalayan forks are as well, same fork tube specs, but longer travel & length. A while back I picked up a set of slightly bent Himalayan forks with plans to swap out the dampers and springs which will allow 200mm (7.87") of suspension travel vs my current 110mm (4.33")

After lots of research and measuring I realized that the difference in fork tube length between the Interceptor and Himalayan is just a little bit shorter than the factory preload spacer used in the Himalayan. So I can just throw all of the guts from the Himalayan forks into my forks and omit the preload spacers as if the factory intended me to. I'll also add preload adjustable fork caps, and cartridge emulators (and drill the dampers) at the same time.

There's a German kid on YouTube riding around the EU on an Interceptor 650 that he thinks is a Scrambler having changed tires and bolted on a few farkles. It's much more capable though than stock and he rides the TAT Trans-European-trail in several videos and lots of other rough roads and gets where he's going, not optimal but it's neat seeing a basically stock bike getting out there.

https://youtube.com/@freemilesmc?si=C9kM30wAGHfUeQiC
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 05:26:36 am by Alan F. »

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #533 on: June 16, 2024, 07:48:24 am »
Nice looking
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #534 on: June 16, 2024, 08:08:48 am »
Between obligations yesterday and today I've been packing up for a week out riding with the RE forum guys I went to Laconia with last year. I'm trying not to overpack but I do want to be somewhat prepared. Rain gear, tubes and tire tools take up a fair amount of space but they'll fit 2/3 of the bikes we're riding. I may bring a spare fuel bottle or 2 but that's probably overkill here in the Northeast US. The leather bags are for stuff & tools, electronics go in a tank bag and clothes will be in a dry bag strapped against the backrest.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 08:12:46 am by Alan F. »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #535 on: June 16, 2024, 10:15:07 am »
Rear shocks are still stock, I'm shopping for the right deal. They're not bad at all, just short travel for street use, they're 360mm or 14" with just 88mm or 3.47" of travel.

Forks on Interceptor and Continental GT 650 are 41mm made by Gabriel. RE Himalayan forks are as well, same fork tube specs, but longer travel & length. A while back I picked up a set of slightly bent Himalayan forks with plans to swap out the dampers and springs which will allow 200mm (7.87") of suspension travel vs my current 110mm (4.33")

After lots of research and measuring I realized that the difference in fork tube length between the Interceptor and Himalayan is just a little bit shorter than the factory preload spacer used in the Himalayan. So I can just throw all of the guts from the Himalayan forks into my forks and omit the preload spacers as if the factory intended me to. I'll also add preload adjustable fork caps, and cartridge emulators (and drill the dampers) at the same time.

There's a German kid on YouTube riding around the EU on an Interceptor 650 that he thinks is a Scrambler having changed tires and bolted on a few farkles. It's much more capable though than stock and he rides the TAT Trans-European-trail in several videos and lots of other rough roads and gets where he's going, not optimal but it's neat seeing a basically stock bike getting out there.

Ok  :)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #536 on: June 16, 2024, 05:55:55 pm »
 I started wet sanding the chrome like finish off of the gs1100's clutch cover, I assume it's anodizing. It had major boot wear in the middle and still has a ding from the brake pedal bumping into it. I thought that pedal looked a little wonky.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #537 on: June 17, 2024, 12:07:14 am »

I am taking the puch to Spain next month for a couple of weeks riding the trans Europe trail .  Never been before so should be interesting , have just increased my European medical cover just in case !

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
    • https://vintage.dennisball.us
« Reply #538 on: June 17, 2024, 10:52:22 am »
Flushed and refilled the brake fluid on the NC700X.  I noticed the fluid was a bit discolored when I had the bike out for a ride this morning.  I flushed all the fluids when I first got the bike, but that was back in 2020.

Since I started using a 100ml syringe to vacuum out the old fluid the job takes only a few minutes to complete.  It works just like an expensive vacuum system, but you can get syringes on-line, or locally for just a couple bucks.

I hang the syringe on the brake lever and this keeps a supply of fluid in the tubing and prevents any air from entering the system.

After I have just a bit in the tubing, I remove all the remaining old fluid from the master cylinder using a pipette. I then fill the master cylinder with fresh fluid.  You then use the syringe to remove the rest of the old fluid being careful not to let the master cylinder run dry.  I think I topped up the master 3 or 4 times during the process.

it only took about 85ml to remove all the old contaminated brake fluid. You will notice the clear new fresh fluid entering the syringe when you have all the old fluid removed.
Dennis...  74 CB550  79 CBX  82 Seca Turbo  2011 CBR  2012 NC700X

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #539 on: June 24, 2024, 03:42:18 pm »
 I tried the syringe method once and it didn't work at all, then I got out the vacuum pump, no dice there either, I tried the traditional way and that didn't work either. I finally realized that the hoses were cemented shut with old dry fluid.
 I got new lines and every method worked fine. I'm always happy to see liquid brake fluid on any bike I work on now.

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #540 on: June 24, 2024, 05:01:04 pm »
I am taking the puch to Spain next month for a couple of weeks riding the trans Europe trail .  Never been before so should be interesting , have just increased my European medical cover just in case !

I can't wait to hear about that trip. Have a good time.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #541 on: June 25, 2024, 10:32:42 am »
thanks will post some pictures  , leaving on the 11th bike not ready yet !

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #542 on: June 25, 2024, 04:03:25 pm »
Spotty and I installed the “new” engine to the transmission of the BMW K100RS and bolted the frame back on. We were both a bit surprised at how easily it went back together but when reinstalling the clutch cable discovered that the clutch pushrod seal/bellows needs replacing so I’ve ordered a new one from Britain and with luck it’ll be here next week.

On Saturday we’re picking up another fairing for the Hindenburg as it’s the same colour and has a very good lower panel, compared to the one that’s on it now with damage from the fire. Another drive to Heathcote, but we’ll stop for a pie for lunch.;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #543 on: June 25, 2024, 09:49:57 pm »
thanks will post some pictures  , leaving on the 11th bike not ready yet !

Sounds about right. I started on my bike for the season on June 1st and found I needed tires before my ride on the 17th, good thing I'd already bought them.
Good luck.

Good progress there Terry and Spotty.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #544 on: July 15, 2024, 12:21:54 am »
Well the weather this weekend was lousy, wet and cold. On Saturday I decided to pull the oil/water pump on the Hindenburg off and in the process dropped the oil, filter, pan, thermostat and coolant. I was happy that there was no engine killing sludge therein, and the oil pickup tube was nice and clean, but I pulled it anyway and cleaned it in my ultrasonic cleaner.

Hindenburg Saturday 13 July 2024 5 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Hindenburg Saturday 13 July 2024 7 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

The oil/water pump assembly though, was externally filthy.

Hindenburg Saturday 13 July 2024 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I went to disassemble the pump and the nut on the impeller shaft just snapped off, with the threaded portion of the shaft therein. Fcuk. Not that it made any difference, the shaft's mechanical water pump seal portion was rotten with rust, so bottom line is, I'll need to buy a new shaft assembly.

Hindenburg Saturday 13 July 2024 9 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

The mechanical seal was flogged out as well, so while I have a "rebuild kit" with new seals, I wasn't looking forwards to removing it because it's usually a b1tch to remove, but this time it almost fell out.

Hindenburg Saturday 13 July 2024 8 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Oh well, it explained the oily muck all over the oil/water pump body, there's a weep hole at the bottom of the pump that will allow either oil or coolant to dribble out of under the pump depending on which seal (separate seals for oil and water sides) has failed. I couldn't go any further so I replaced the pan and installed a new K&N filter and I'll have to wait for the new shaft assembly to arrive before I can go any further. Oh well, I checked the thermostat in boiling water and it worked fine, and I'd bought another fairing panel to replace the toasty one, so I installed that.

Hindenburg Saturday 13 July 2024 9a by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I reinstalled the other fairing panels, and covered up the hole where the oil/water pump used to be, and put a bike cover back over it.

On Sunday, Spotty and I reinstalled his ram that he'd fixed for his bike lift, then wheeled on the white BMW that I blew up on Mother's Day, jacked it up, and did some more work on it. We'd spent enough time cleaning and painting the replacement engine, carefully installed the "new" engine (that's been sitting in a guy's garage for 20 years or so) and yesterday installed the exhaust and airbox/air fuel meter, EFI computer, and the fuel tank. We'd previously filled it with oil and coolant, so we decided to put some fuel in the tank and see if it would go. It did.

Can't be unhappy with that, the engine sounds good, but as it was still cold and wet outside Spotty's garage, and also because we haven't put the fairing lowers or seat back on it, we just called it good, and next weekend we should have it back together, and I can take it for a ride. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #545 on: July 15, 2024, 08:44:53 am »
Terry,you're doing those BMW's good  :)
What a nice thing to find a very good engine from the man's widow ?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #546 on: July 15, 2024, 10:09:36 am »
 I put the push-pull throttle and a set of Randakks grips on the GS1100, I ignored the instructions about trimming the throttle tube so I can allow spacing for a NOS throttle lock type cruise control that's lurking in my parts somewhere. The bike had the large diameter foam grips before, the new ones fit my hands better. 

I got the new seat lock grommet on, the old one was dried like a prune, I just pushed it out the bottom and then used a little soapy water to lube the new one. I started the difficult side first and rotated the grommet until the bottom flange was all of the way on. A clear water rinse and it's good to go.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 11:41:50 am by Don R »

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #547 on: July 15, 2024, 07:27:53 pm »

not quite a widow yet, though from talking to the guy i think she'd like to be. he didn't even know she was selling his bike parts....
i blame Terry

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #548 on: July 15, 2024, 08:50:11 pm »

not quite a widow yet, though from talking to the guy i think she'd like to be. he didn't even know she was selling his bike parts....

That could make for an uncomfortable purchase trip.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #549 on: July 15, 2024, 10:02:57 pm »
I pulled the wheels off the 01' Honda TRX 350 Rancher. I found the poor performing brakes on the front were due to the fact that they had never been adjusted. All four adjusters were bottomed out. The front wheel bearings are so toasted that the grease was burnt black and stanky. Surprisingly there's no sign of leaking wheel cylinders.
If the parts price is too high I'll buy a disc brake kit instead of rebuilding the drum brakes.

I haven't tore down the rear brake yet so there may be more carnage to be revealed. The thing still has the original tires on it. The up side is I drove it onto the trailer 3 years ago when I got it.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans