Author Topic: Engine Pulls Hard up to 5.5k RPM Then Not So Much  (Read 3031 times)

Online PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
Re: Engine Pulls Hard up to 5.5k RPM Then Not So Much
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2024, 09:47:14 pm »
I have tried the Yamiya advancer springs on my K2. I could not get F to line up with case mark at Idle. Yamiya springs did not help.

TEC points. 300 advancer.
F was a little advanced, around 1-2mm at idle.
I had to cut the stock springs that fixed it, F lined up with case mark.
It has Dyna-S now
(As my K6 that also has cut springs.)
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline Finnigan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2024, 10:52:38 pm »
Thanks for letting me know!  Any additional info on how you cut the springs?  Picture even?

Offline willbird

• Expert
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2024, 08:24:34 am »
I have tried the Yamiya advancer springs on my K2. I could not get F to line up with case mark at Idle. Yamiya springs did not help.

TEC points. 300 advancer.
F was a little advanced, around 1-2mm at idle.
I had to cut the stock springs that fixed it, F lined up with case mark.
It has Dyna-S now
(As my K6 that also has cut springs.)

It sucks that somebody has not just made a spring kit, people would buy a lot of them.

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2024, 01:33:48 am »
Hi Finny
Re Springs...I just cut one of the end hooks off with snips and then with a pair of pointy nosed pliers bend the next coil up to 90 degrees to replace the previous loop.  :)
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline Finnigan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2024, 08:32:21 am »
Hi Finny
Re Springs...I just cut one of the end hooks off with snips and then with a pair of pointy nosed pliers bend the next coil up to 90 degrees to replace the previous loop.  :)

Makes sense, thanks for the info

Offline Finnigan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2024, 02:47:32 pm »
cut the end of both springs and bent the last loop 90, stiffened the system up quite a bit and was much more snappy.  The RPM for full advance didn't change much if any and I still need to position the F mark for 1/4 and 2/3 to the left of the timing mark to land in the middle of the full advance zone. 

Noted that before the spring mod, 2/3 were a different distance from the timing mark than 1/4 to get in the fully advance section.  maybe I need to take ANOTHER loop out of the spring to make them pull harder?

Going to look around for some options when my Yamiya order comes in, maybe I can experiment with different sizes and strengths.

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2024, 04:19:56 pm »
What main jets are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2024, 08:17:54 pm »
cut the end of both springs and bent the last loop 90, stiffened the system up quite a bit and was much more snappy.  The RPM for full advance didn't change much if any and I still need to position the F mark for 1/4 and 2/3 to the left of the timing mark to land in the middle of the full advance zone. 

Noted that before the spring mod, 2/3 were a different distance from the timing mark than 1/4 to get in the fully advance section.  maybe I need to take ANOTHER loop out of the spring to make them pull harder?

Going to look around for some options when my Yamiya order comes in, maybe I can experiment with different sizes and strengths.

Did you continue to use the 4into1 advancer with the cut springs?
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline Finnigan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2024, 09:17:13 pm »
What main jets are you running?

Just switched from 120s to 115s

Offline Finnigan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2024, 09:18:41 pm »

Did you continue to use the 4into1 advancer with the cut springs?

As in 4into1.com?  I am using the stock Honda advancer with the cut springs, its the 323 stamped version.

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2024, 09:24:55 pm »
323?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2024, 09:27:24 pm »

If the 1-4 side reaches full advance, but the 2-3 side doesn't, I have most often found that the whole points plate itself was sitting a little bit "low" in the mounts, because the plate was slightly undersized. This happens with non-OEM timing plates, most often the Daiichi or FEW brands of plates. Raising the whole plate upward usually solves it nicely, if clumsy to do: I use some old feeler gages to shim the plate upward (in the lower mounts) while tightening the screws.

If the marks are 'jittery' or jumping around, that is due to the points shaft being bent. This favors having the 2-3 side not being able to reach full advance, too, but with the 'jumpy' timing witnessing the problem being in the points shaft and the advancer thus not being at right-angle to the points plate.

PS: the -323- advancers are for the CB350F engines, not the 750. The total advance angle is different between them.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2024, 09:42:03 pm »

The springs has nothing to do with total advance.. The springs return the timing to the initial timing (usually the F mark) as they can overcome the centrifugal forces of the higher rpms…  stronger springs will only delay the advance like already posted.. the range (in crankshaft degrees) of  the advancer is fixed (unless modified)..  #6 in the manual and as already posted the strobe light can verify the fixed advance range and explains what is ideal and what to do if it is not..

If Yoshimura is recommending +3 degrees advanced (ignition timing) your strobe should be blinking out in front of the 26.5 degree mark at higher rpms…not any where in between them..

Stronger than stock springs are good for more radical engines with longer duration camshafts that cannot be satisfactorily tuned to idle smooth at lower rpms… the stronger springs prevent a fluctuating timing condition at idle rpm..  where the idle rpm may be high enough the weak springs may be allowing the advancer to advance the timing from the static( F mark) to a greater advance and then back to the initial timing as the engine idles rough from the long duration camshaft..Some call it “scattering” which can easily be verified with your timing light..it will look like the timing mark is moving around at an idle instead of stationary blinking and stopping the timing mark exactly in the same place..

Do you have a family member or friend that has carburetor and mechanical distributors experience to lend you a hand..?
Age Quod Agis

Offline Finnigan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2024, 10:41:14 pm »

If the 1-4 side reaches full advance, but the 2-3 side doesn't, I have most often found that the whole points plate itself was sitting a little bit "low" in the mounts, because the plate was slightly undersized. This happens with non-OEM timing plates, most often the Daiichi or FEW brands of plates. Raising the whole plate upward usually solves it nicely, if clumsy to do: I use some old feeler gages to shim the plate upward (in the lower mounts) while tightening the screws.

If the marks are 'jittery' or jumping around, that is due to the points shaft being bent. This favors having the 2-3 side not being able to reach full advance, too, but with the 'jumpy' timing witnessing the problem being in the points shaft and the advancer thus not being at right-angle to the points plate.

PS: the -323- advancers are for the CB350F engines, not the 750. The total advance angle is different between them.

Image of spark advancers in your book (appendix G-2) shows a K4 advancer with the 323 stamp.  What am I missing?

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
Age Quod Agis

Offline Oddjob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2024, 10:03:31 am »
323 is the model number of the 500-4 not the 350-4.

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2024, 06:56:00 pm »
The 350-400 uses a 333 advancer. Finnigan, please post a pic of the T and F marks on your 323 advancer.
Regardless of which unit you are using, it should still travel from the F to the full advance marks at RPM, and back to the F mark at idle.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2024, 08:44:09 pm »

Image of spark advancers in your book (appendix G-2) shows a K4 advancer with the 323 stamp.  What am I missing?

The -323- advancers were used on a select few of the 750s during the US gasoline shortage in 1975, notably 750K4 and 750K5 bikes (that's one reason why that -323- version appears as the 3rd advancer in that picture). Their advance springs were softer than those found on the 350F, though, to achieve full advance by 2000-2200 RPM instead of 2500+ RPM, and the compression was lower in those engines as well, due to a +1mm height difference in the cylinders (and heads). Honda was advertising 50 MPG fuel economy at the time (at 55 MPH) and these were some of the 'tweaks' they used to get there. But, the top end of those bikes was about 90-92 MPH on average, so the practice disappeared quietly and quickly, and in the shop where I was then (Littleton Honda) we were issued {n} number of spark advancers to recall the bikes and change them. I only saw 1 actually get recalled and changed, but the performance difference was both immediate and noticeable.

In the 350F engines the springs are stronger and the full advance occurs nearer to 3000 RPM, but the full advance angle of the advancer is less (I think it is 3 or 5 degrees less, something like that).

To obtain similar MPG results with the stock 750 advancer we would set the idle timing at the "T" marks instead of the "F" marks, and change the float bowl levels in the carbs to the 26mm of the post-K1 era bikes. Interestingly, the bikes idled better and did get better MPG, but the upper-end performance was noticeably less. It was OK for touring, though, since you couldn't run much more than 65 MPH anyway, lest the gendarmes get pissed.

Since today it's harder to get a 'proper' advancer for these engines, I have [several times] altered the -323 advancer by grinding the notched back side of the weights at an angle (wider toward the baseplate) and then bent the 'stop' ears (and/or thinned them) to get the extra few degrees of advance angle out of them. They have a natural advantage today over the regular advancers in that slowing the spark advance curve is needed with today's gasolines because they burn so slowly compared to the 1970s fuels: with normal advancers I cut off 1-2 turns form the springs to slow the advance, but with the -323- advancer the springs seem to be just about right, provided the weights can swing further to get the same full-advance angle.

But on the whole, the -323- advancer used today in a 750 will make for a seriously sluggish performance (although the sparkplugs may stay cleaner loner).
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Finnigan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2024, 12:54:52 pm »
Good progress today,

Last week I scored a K1 advancer on eBay for 20$, it arrived and after cleaning and lube the springs felt a little soft - decided to go with the Yamiya ones (needed or not, educated guess based on feel).  I also replaced my stock points shaft with a NOS even though I bent the old one into shape with a soft hammer and dial indicator per HM's book and online instructions.  Since the poor stock hardware had turned to cheese with all the adjusting I went and got stock length Allen bolts to make things easier for future adjustment.

It took about 5 minutes to get the F mark on and no adjustment was needed after, both points fell on the static 'F' and between the lines at full advance and it seems as though its coming on at the same RPM as the old one (I'm aware these advancers could foul plugs with loose springs?).

I'd consider THIS issue resolved....running out of things to fix :)

As a side note: without touching the carbs at all the bike now idles at 800RPM where before I couldn't get it lower than 1100.  Time for a test ride :)

Thanks for all the help and comments!

Offline Finnigan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2024, 03:06:53 pm »
Be aware that Deltarider will demand a video of the engine idling at 800. He seems to think it’s not possible for a sohc to idle smoothly under 1000 revs. I could get my 500 down to 600 rpm when I restored it in the late 70-80, a fact he refuses to accept, saying that he refuses to accept most facts 😀😀😀

5-600 seems crazy, must be a 750 whisperer :)

After 3 test rides I think I found the sweet spot where the power comes on around 6.5, letting the engine cool before I pull the plugs again.

I think this motor still has more to give, every time I dive into an 'issue' it turns into a lesson or 'a ha!" moment.

When I get new rear shocks I'd love to drive it on a 100+ mile trip up the coast and fingers crossed a dyno tune someday.

Offline Finnigan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2024, 03:18:45 pm »
We only have his word it's running at all, or even that he has one ;)

Trouble uploading, hope it works this time

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2024, 05:50:58 pm »
Nice.....just observing that with those tires and your 'larger' motor, you could change the rear sprocket down to 43-45 and be comfortable at current highway speeds.......which would also move the rear wheel back and give you some slack in the chain. Have Fun
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2024, 06:27:22 pm »
We only have his word it's running at all, or even that he has one ;)

Trouble uploading, hope it works this time
Looks great, congrats! Vroommmm~

Offline Finnigan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2024, 07:49:06 pm »
Nice.....just observing that with those tires and your 'larger' motor, you could change the rear sprocket down to 43-45 and be comfortable at current highway speeds.......which would also move the rear wheel back and give you some slack in the chain. Have Fun

Very good eye, the tires are leftover from a couple years ago I had them so I put them on (struggled with the huge sidewall and non flex of the rubber) and I've regretted it ever since.  They feel like basketballs on the freeway and despite going to softer rear and gold emulators + progressive springs up front it hasn't helped much.  Performance tires or vintage correct Dunlops are in the works.

Based on an old Yoshi article I have in Choppers Magazine the closest upgrades from Yoshi demo bike to mine had 18/48 which I decided to run.  I should really go to a 17 but waiting until the tires materialize.

Online PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2024, 02:57:07 am »
About idle rpm.
I prefer 1200-1300rpm, adjusted when hot after at least 30min ride.  Stock as well as modified engine.
Much easier to ride. Take offs and less abrupt throttle off.
Higher compression is trickier for smooth take off at too low rpm.

Easier to keep it idling when cold too.

I can set idle on my K6 970ccc + 125-75 cam to 1000rpm. It will be a pig at take offs due to the compression and too responsive flat slide carbs.

Oil flow a good reason for higher idle.
Check when engine is really hot a very warm day. Risk that oil warning lamp will flicker if idle is low.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967