Author Topic: 16ft Ski boat Restoration....  (Read 43571 times)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
16ft Ski boat Restoration....
« on: July 24, 2007, 07:40:03 pm »
OK, I sold my 40ft cruiser "FINALLY"!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 14 yr old daughter never got to learn to water ski as we had moved on to bigger boats by the time she was born. She has been bugging me to get the old ski boat in the water.

I bought this Glastron ski boat when I was 20, cut out the floor, restrung the hull stringers and built an outboard well on the back.  I was working at the time as a "trampoline salesman" I know laugh now, but it was fun and the money wasn't to bad.
I spent 2 years rebuilding this little boat and we had a lot of real fun camping trips in it and my older daughter did learn to ski.

So back to the present.......... I have been dragging this ski boat around from house to house for over 25 years!  It has had no love in the pat 15 years.  It has been left unattended in the rain, sun, snow etc. It was under a shelter for most of the time, but years of neglect are showing.

I decided yesterday to make another go of her! pulled the seats and pedestals, had the pedestals sand blasted and painted those today. Washed 15 years of crap off of it and saw that the fiberglass on the transom  has cracked and needs re-glassing.

Spent this morning repainting the seats pedestals and the rest of the day grinding off the bad fiberglass.  Mariah removed the ski bar, stereo, bow tank and all the old wiring.  I have set a 14 day time table before we are water skiing again.  Putting this challenge here online will help motivate me so I don't look like a doof when I get lazy  ;D

It needs:
*  115-140 hpr motor
*  Seats, front and rear.
*  A Sh*t load of fiberglass work and paint.
*  New carpet
* Of course a nice sound system......... ;D
* A lot of luck.

Funny, can’t blame the previouse owner

P.S. This bow tank was out of a Datsun 510!  It's stll clean inside.

NASTY!

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: 16ft Ski boat Restoration....15 years later
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 08:06:21 pm »
Looking good Derek, but whats in the glass in the 1st and 4th pics ? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 08:23:29 pm »
That would be my nod to "Trailer Park Boys"  ;D

Good thing I had my beer behind me in the others ;D

Offline Joel

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:53:31 pm »
Are you changing the fuel tank location?

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 08:57:31 pm »
No, I use the bow tank to keep weight up front. I use that fuel last. I will use 2 - 5 gln portables on either side of the rear as well.  I just wanted to make sure the tank was free of rust before I ran a pile of rusty fuel through a new motor.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM ....now where did I learn that trick ;D

Offline Rushoid

• Shameless
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 07:56:25 am »
Seaweb, you're my hero! I want a boat so badly I can almost taste it. I've never owned one and I don't have a lot of experience around them (I was in the Navy, for pete's sake!) but I see a lot of older fiberglass boats around. When I was growing up, I'd usually spend several weekends with my uncle on Lake Cumberland, so I do know a little. About as much as I knew about motorcycles before I bought my 750  ;) My father in-law has 3 old boats in his backyard and I might be able to talk him out of one. I wish I could tell you the type, but I don't know all of the types. I'll post a pic if I ever get back up there. It's basically just a fiberglass shell - needs a floor, seats, and...oh yeah, an outboard!

Anyway, please keep us updated with your progress. I'd like to know as much as possible about bringing one of these back. How much does an outboard cost anyway?  ;D
Go Cards!! Go Colts!! Go Bucks!!

SOHC/4 Member #3452

Offline nickjtc

• I was numero dieci
  • Old Timer
  • Yamaha XT500 'Gromit'
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 08:18:25 am »
Hey Derek. There is still a month left of school holidays. Get that kid of yours working dawn to dusk! But don't get her too excited about boats....remember that we want to keep the motorcycle interest to the fore... ;D
Nick J. Member #3247

2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
1977 Suzuki GS750

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear proper motorcycle clothing...."

Offline my78k

• I am Meat-O of the Hungry Horses MC
  • Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:20:03 am »
"Anyway, please keep us updated with your progress. I'd like to know as much as possible about bringing one of these back. How much does an outboard cost anyway?  "

Unfortunately usually more than the rest of the boat!!

Are you considering a "new" motor or "new to you" Seaweb?? The new Evinrudes V-Tec or whatever they are calling them push out tone of power compared to the old...we have a 70 on our 16.5 bowrider and I can keep up with my buddies 110 Merc...his boat may be a bit heavier but not by much at all....

Dennis

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 09:30:05 am »
I had an older 140 on it the last time and it did 60 mph "timed by a car"!!!!!!
Thinking about a "new to me" 115 this time around. I know where there is a completly rebuilt one for $3000.00, but I am still on the hunt.

More fiberglass sanding and grinding today ::)

Offline Chris Schneiter

• Hot Shot
    • Christopher Schneiter Photographer
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 10:08:08 am »
I congratulate you on your courage to re-enter a project after 15 years! I also recently started working on my boat after about a 4 year hiatus... Mine's a sailboat...Snipe Class...for about 15 years, I raced, dragging it and its predicessor all over the country for regattas (my favorite was in St Pete FLa over New Years, when it was snowing in Michigan!)...then came a divorce, and health and financial problems, then I loaned it to someone who trashed it, so I've drifted away...I can easily see how boats end up in the yard under trees... Recently, I began moving about 30 miles west to the shore of Lake Michigan, and my juices are starting to flow again....but here's my problem...shortly after the picture below of my daughter and me sailing was taken, I got T-Boned on the starboard (right) side, and it broke the seam between the cockpit and the hull...I've tried patching it, but short of fiberglass, the only thing that keeps the water out is Duct Tape, which is ugly...Do you know of any resources or book on fiberglassing that might help me?
Unfortunately, being on the Lakeshore is getting my Wooden Boat juices flowing too! They're everywhere and you can pick them up for pennies! And I do know how to work with wood!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 10:12:24 am by Chris Schneiter »
CB750 K6

Offline Aaron J Williams

• Old Biker
  • Hot Shot
  • Member # 725
    • Dude's Garage
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 10:08:59 am »
Keep up the good work, you almost have me motivated to replace the floor in my 89 Bayliner Capri I/O!
There are old bikers and there are bold bikers but there are very few old, bold bikers.

Quote from: Gordon
Not doing what you can to make your bike ride-able during the best riding months of the year kind of defeats the purpose of owning it in the first place.

Offline Rushoid

• Shameless
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 10:49:53 am »
"Anyway, please keep us updated with your progress. I'd like to know as much as possible about bringing one of these back. How much does an outboard cost anyway?  "

Unfortunately usually more than the rest of the boat!!
I was pretty much under that impression, and
I know where there is a completly rebuilt one for $3000.00...
gives me an idea of what I'm looking at. I'm pretty sure he'd give me (actually my wife) the one fiberglass, cuddy cabin job, but I'd still need to come up with a motor. Even though all three have been sitting there for years, and he'll never do anything with them, I don't think he'll part with the sailboat or the cool little 2-seat aluminum speeder.  ::) My dream is that he'd give me one, and the cash to fix it, be impressed with my skills, and give me the other two so he could take them out again.  ::) Yeah, right.  >:( ;D ;D
Go Cards!! Go Colts!! Go Bucks!!

SOHC/4 Member #3452

fuzzybutt

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 02:12:18 pm »
when i was in my 20's i had a glastron gt160 with a 115 merc on it. damn that thing was a blast to ski and cruise with. is i hadnt left florida i'd probably still own it. right now though i need a boat like a hole in the water lol.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 02:22:07 pm »
80 degrees and I'm wearing a turtle neck, jeans and surgical gloves ::)
What's wrong with that picture?  My office downstairs is so cool, it's getting hard to leave.

I just keep thinking of a nice water ski Aug 15th ;D ;D

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 04:28:22 pm »
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but outboards ain't cheap.  A buddy of mine was looking at a Suzuki 4 stroke 140 at $7000.00 US.  I wanted to replace my Honda 10hp, but I don't have $2300.00!!!

On the other hand, I was out on the water last night.  I am connected with a non-profit organization called The Alexandria Seaport Foundation ( www.alexandriaseaport.org ).  We have a Tuesday night group that is supposed to work on a project(currently a paper boat-long story) but the weather was so nice and there was a fair amount of wind, so no work got done.  We had two sailboats in the water, so most of the group took turns in them, and I had the outboard chase boat out.
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 05:26:49 pm »
Day 2:
To the untrained eye it may not seem like 6 hours of work,............but it was!
More sanding and grinding.  I'm out of supplies and have to go off Island tomorow to get some 40 grit discs, new carpet, and because I have such high hopes....a new stereo ;D

While I'm there I will go see the upolster guy and see what he has in store for me$$$$$$$$$$$

why am I so itchy???????????????

P.S. I measured it today from bow to stern........ 13.5 ft.  Any wonder it went so fast!  What a dumb boat.

And YES that is a 72 CL350 motor!

Offline nickjtc

• I was numero dieci
  • Old Timer
  • Yamaha XT500 'Gromit'
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 06:03:04 pm »
And YES that is a 72 CL350 motor!

OK, so the motor problem is solved, isn't it, Derek!!
Nick J. Member #3247

2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
1977 Suzuki GS750

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear proper motorcycle clothing...."

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 06:41:31 pm »
wood doesn't look bad.  And that looks like 10 hours work.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 06:23:59 pm »
Day 3 working on Boat:
Went to the "BIG" Island yesterday for supplies and parts. Found some carpet for 60 cents a sq ft, but will pick it up later. I was at the other end of town when I realized it was the best price. Went to all the marine stores in Nanaimo and found some seats that will work out GREAT! Mocked them up this morning and they will still swivel on the pedistals.

Called the shop I bought all my outboards from over the years including the 9 horse on my dingy. They will give me $1000.00 credit/trade in on the 9 hpr engine I have towards a 1990 90 hpr Evinrude c/w power trim they have for sale at $2995.00. So I've got my motor and only $1995.00 out of pocket!

Another 5 hours on the grinder today, man those things can bite! >:(

Any way, had the guy from the boat yard by today and he says I'm ready for the rebuild, no more destroying.

Ouch!!!!!!!!

New seats

Me at the end of the day!!

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 09:31:58 am »
Derek!
Nice work! Who makes thoses seats? Those would go great in my 1971 Fibreform Tyee fishing boat.
You'll like the 90 hp Evinrude - great motor.
Looks like "so many projects, so little time".
Cheers,
Cliff.

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 09:44:31 am »
woah man... nice aura dude  ;)

i think all it needed was new seats.  don't need no stinkin' motor.
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 10:44:23 am »
The seats are made a company called Tempress Products. They were $189.00 a piece. The Chandlery in Nanaimo carries them.
They are very comfortable and if the upostry gets wrecked, you can just buy replacements.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 02:54:32 pm »
Day 4:

All cleaned and taped and a good soak of resin to get things going ;D

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 05:20:11 pm »
Lookin' good!!!

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 09:59:11 pm »
The day is done, it's to dark to work any more.  I am extremely happy with the progress. The 1st coat of resin went on well, hardened and I was able to fill all the holes and gouges today with 3 applications of a resin/putty mix sanded in between. Tomorrow is the laying of cloth.  Takes about 3 hours to make templates from paper and then transpose them onto the cloth.  It's the prep that takes the time like all projects. Should get that out of the way in time to sand by the end of the day.

1 perhaps 2 days of fairing before paint. 

It is amusing at times redoing something you did 25 years before.  I obviously did not have the best skills at the time, based on what I found while sanding it all down to bare wood ::)  But I did have a cool boat ;D