Author Topic: The 1970 Daytona CR750s.  (Read 262809 times)

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: The 1970 Daytona CR750s.
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2008, 12:39:30 am »
No worries mate, my oldest boy has "borrowed" my scanner, but when I get it back I'll scan it and post it here. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2008, 02:28:58 pm »
OK Terry that'll be fine!
Since I am starting up a (very) small business in supplying parts for CB's 750/500, I am in the process of developing 'special' parts which are becoming hard to get these days. One of the items is a top rear engine mounting part. Used this part years ago on a 750 racer. I just need to blast and paint. See what you all think.

I also have a front engine-mounting part made out of 7075 Alloy. Will post a picture shortly.

Cheers, Rob
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 02:30:37 pm by voxonda »
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2008, 02:32:51 pm »
Yeah, Terry, see if you can post it somewhere for a download of largish scans.  

The #2 engine builder on the Big Benley project, Curt Jordan, has his shop here in San Diego. Does a lot of Hayabusas.  Killer dyno setup!

BTW, for some reason I though Benley used a Dresda frame.  Has my memory gone with my hair?   ;)  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2008, 07:02:10 pm »
If it's the same bike we're talking about Ricky, it's definitely a stocker that's been modified, there are a lot of pics in the article showing how Patrick braced it. Cheers, Terry. ;D

OK Terry that'll be fine!
Since I am starting up a (very) small business in supplying parts for CB's 750/500, I am in the process of developing 'special' parts which are becoming hard to get these days. One of the items is a top rear engine mounting part. Used this part years ago on a 750 racer. I just need to blast and paint. See what you all think.

I also have a front engine-mounting part made out of 7075 Alloy. Will post a picture shortly.

Cheers, Rob

Thanks Rob, I can't open the pics from my defence department computer, but I'll check 'em out when I get home. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2008, 10:00:05 am »
Here the front mounting, hope you like it.

Cheers, Rob

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2008, 04:49:15 pm »
Hey That's cool mate, I particularly like your oil cooler plumbing, you do good work! What's the purpose of the extra rear mount? Is that a turbo I see lurking there?

The "Big Benly" uses a special plate that ties the engine mounts to the swingarm axle, which apparently increases the frames rigidity quite a bit. My son is bringing my scanner back tomorrow, so I'll post the pics then. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2008, 04:53:21 pm »
Cool, Terry. I'm sure a lot of people are interested in the frame reinforcements.  I know I certainly am!  Thanks!  RR
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2008, 04:54:47 pm »
And Vox... VERY pretty stuff!  Are you going to make some parts available for purchase?  Thanks.  RR

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2008, 05:31:48 pm »
Well done Vox. Those mounts will indeed help the engine stiffen the frame.

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2008, 03:38:15 am »
Hey That's cool mate, I particularly like your oil cooler plumbing, you do good work! What's the purpose of the extra rear mount? Is that a turbo I see lurking there?

The "Big Benly" uses a special plate that ties the engine mounts to the swingarm axle, which apparently increases the frames rigidity quite a bit. My son is bringing my scanner back tomorrow, so I'll post the pics then. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Hey Terry, Thanks for your kind words! Must say I adore the GOODRIDGE stuff, it makes everything looks so much nicer and more professional. This rear mount makes the engine to frame connection much more rigid. Specially together with the front one. And yes, thats a Turbo! It's another project of mine. Know of the solution with this plate, but thinks it add's not, much, more then my solution though it looks 'the bizz'.
Can't wait to see more picture's of that bike!

Cheers, Rob

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2008, 03:40:27 am »
And Vox... VERY pretty stuff!  Are you going to make some parts available for purchase?  Thanks.  RR

Hey RR, Thanks. And Yes I am in progress to start up a, little, business to produce and sell custom made parts for our beloved CB!

Cheers, Rob

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2008, 03:42:07 am »
Well done Vox. Those mounts will indeed help the engine stiffen the frame.

Thanks, bwaller. Glad you like them. They really work. Although that is not strange if you take a good look at the original!

Cheers, Rob

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2008, 02:47:16 am »
Hey Terry,

No luck yet?

Cheers, Rob

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2008, 04:12:48 am »
Here you go mate, I might have to photocopy the A3 pages and reduce them so they'll fit in my A4 scanner, but at least here are some images you can drool over. Cheers, Terry. ;D

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 04:24:05 am by Terry in Australia »

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2008, 08:15:20 am »
Thanks Terry, I love it!!! ::)

Perhaps too much to ask but is it possible to 'blow up' the picture of the frame? If not, no problem am very pleased with the article.

Thanks again mate.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2008, 01:36:50 pm »
Here you go mate, it's a bit grainy, but the best I can do. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2008, 02:47:20 pm »
Here you go mate, it's a bit grainy, but the best I can do. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Hey Terry, no worries it's good enough for me. See some interesting features on the frame, think I will use that in future frame.

Cheers, from a cold and wet Holland.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2008, 07:28:06 pm »
Hi Everyone

I'm also coming to this thread late in the game (just signed up), but can shed a little light here....

Of the four factory CB750s (not CRs....the CR moniker reflected kitted bikes with kit parts, not whole motorcycles) built back in early '70 for Daytona, only one has been proven to still exist. It's in France, and one of the two bikes shipped there after Daytona for endurance-race use by Honda France.

I have hi-rez images of one (a right-side-shift machine) right after it was uncrated at American Honda in Gardena. The detail of the images is stunning.

Two years ago, Motorcyclist sent Patrick Bodden, Bob Hansen and Bob Jamison to Paris to check on a bike owned by a collector who claimed to have one of the originals...

Although they couldn't confirm it was THE Mann or Bryans bike (or one of the others), they did confirm that various engine and chassis parts of the bike did indeed come from one of the four factory machines. Which is significant considering how elusive this portion of Honda's mechanical history really is.

We've got pix and an amazing bundle of notes on the Paris bike, the trip and the machine in question, and will publish them at some point in Motorcyclist Classic - our new classic/vintage magazine - when we get things organized and the story written in full.

Anyway, I'm in touch with Hansen and various Japanese Honda R&D engineers (who worked on the CB project in the late '60s) on some of the more important details of the story, and we're hoping to lay to rest some of the wild CR/Mann/Replica BS that's been floating around these last decade or so.

Thanks for your time....

Mitch Boehm
Editor
Motorcyclist Classic
Mitch.Boehm@sourceinterlink.com

Does anyone know if this new magazine is in the shops yet?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2008, 07:33:13 am »
Hey what do you think of this 1972 Japauto Endurance bike, Dresda frame?

More to come.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:10:36 am by voxonda »

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2008, 07:36:25 am »
and even more naked:

Cheers, Rob

troppo

« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2008, 07:41:40 am »
hey vox
what are those extra stays behind the shocks?
they look like solid flat bar which would cancel out the shocks but not replace them

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2008, 09:04:26 am »
It's a muffler hanger.

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2008, 09:55:51 am »
It's a muffler hanger.

You're absolutely right!

Cheers

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2008, 04:53:03 pm »
hey vox
what are those extra stays behind the shocks?
they look like solid flat bar which would cancel out the shocks but not replace them

Wanker!  ;D

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2008, 05:34:10 pm »
Anybody know what the story is on the reversed rear brake arm?

And Voxonda, do you happen to have a photo of the oil tank that is normally housed under the seat hump of the JapAuto?

Thanks!  RR