Author Topic: Squirley's 550 CAFE Build  (Read 157574 times)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Squirley's 550 CAFE Build
« Reply #350 on: September 01, 2013, 04:02:17 pm »
I've mentioned you may not even notice the difference. Of course it steers quicker but it doesn't turn them into evil beasts. I've raced this set up for three years. I just destroyed it in a heavy crash due in part to a lock to lock tank slapper. However the tank slapper was the final result of a near high side. In three years it's been stable as a rock at very high speeds. Just do it, you'll love it!

If the whole thought still bothers you though, sell those shocks and but some shorter, no one will judge you. Go ahead and install a damper, every sohc4 I own has one.....but I didn't say that out loud.  ;)

Offline Ewan 500K1

• Hot Shot
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #351 on: September 02, 2013, 01:00:14 am »
I've mentioned you may not even notice the difference. Of course it steers quicker but it doesn't turn them into evil beasts. I've raced this set up for three years. I just destroyed it in a heavy crash due in part to a lock to lock tank slapper. However the tank slapper was the final result of a near high side. In three years it's been stable as a rock at very high speeds. Just do it, you'll love it!

If the whole thought still bothers you though, sell those shocks and but some shorter, no one will judge you. Go ahead and install a damper, every sohc4 I own has one.....but I didn't say that out loud.  ;)

the longer shocks are staying put  :P   
jings, crivens, help ma boab

500 four K1 cafe racer build thread at :
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=100883.0

Offline dave.vega

« Reply #352 on: March 13, 2022, 04:05:16 pm »
Amazing thread, thank you all. I am starting a front end conversion and this is a great source of information.

I have a question I hope someone can answer. Is it possible to use the CB550 front rim and spokes with the HD hub? What is the reason to source a new set?

Offline Shtonecb500

• Master
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #353 on: March 15, 2022, 08:13:08 pm »
Amazing thread, thank you all. I am starting a front end conversion and this is a great source of information.

I have a question I hope someone can answer. Is it possible to use the CB550 front rim and spokes with the HD hub? What is the reason to source a new set?

Im under the impression the spokes/holes/number of holes? and angles aren't going to line up, and would need to get custom spokes made by buchanan to mate the two. Tell them the style of both or send both to them.

i might be wrong.
73/74'' CB500/550 resto-mod - sold
75' 750f 91' cbr f2 swap cafe - mock up
74' 750 chopper hardtail - complete - sold
74' CB750/836kit - Black mix & match - daily rider - always tweaking
71' cb500 K0 survivor - complete
71' K1 - CANDY GOLD/BROWN Winton kit - in process

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #354 on: March 15, 2022, 10:02:07 pm »
Dave there are quite a few factors in play when calculating the appropriate spoke length to use for any combination of rim and hub. You'll need accurate measurements of the hub and the rim. I like the description and the calculator on this site:

http://earlymotor.com/leon/misc/html/spoke.htm

Offline dave.vega

« Reply #355 on: March 21, 2022, 10:00:53 am »
Thank you both!! That makes sense. I got a narrowglide hub and wasn't sure if I could fit it to the stock wheel or if I needed rim and spokes. I imagine I can get stock spokes for this hub and just find a new 19" rim. I will double check dims just in case.

I like the description and the calculator on this site:

http://earlymotor.com/leon/misc/html/spoke.htm

Amazing tool, thank you!