Author Topic: Squirley's 550 CAFE Build  (Read 157583 times)

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • [Brian] I've got something to say about that!
    • Undead Asphalt
Re: Squirley's 550 CAFE Build
« Reply #325 on: July 12, 2010, 06:35:34 pm »
oh yeah,

the 550 is different and I really have no idea with those.
everything I say is pure speculation and
I have no idea what I'm talking about  ._.

Marla              .:71CB750:.CAFE

redbullssg

« Reply #326 on: July 13, 2010, 05:51:32 am »
I called ALL BALLS just a minute ago, and talked to one of the fellas.  He said that it is common for tapered bearings to stick out and that the seal is designed to seal the bottom race, so if the bottom race is sticking out, it isn't going to adversely affect anything. 

I however, am not really satisfied with it.  I will either cut the old race seat out of the head and either re-machine a new one, or modify the old one and weld either one back in, or make a dust seal somehow to keep the elements out of the assembly as it sits....  If I decide to do any of these things, I will start a new thread focusing on the swap alone..... 

Thanks for the help guys. 

I can figure things out on my own pretty well, but I always like to seek advise from people that have already go thought it, and have the knowledge on tap.  I learn more that way!

Offline RustyOlive

• rustyolive.com
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #327 on: July 13, 2010, 07:52:02 am »
redbullssg, just a thought.. if and when you do start a new thread.. post a link here to it.. so we all can follow.. well, ok.. so "I" can follow! LOL I'm interested in learning more about this too, before I jump in and do this mod as well..

thanks..
Untitled by cameron.bateman, on FlickrRustyOlive, on Flickr

redbullssg

« Reply #328 on: July 13, 2010, 02:18:02 pm »
I can say the bearing part is the easy part.  I checked into them a little more and they will seal alright.  I had the wrong seal with the wrong bearing.  Switched them around and the top one seals good.  I will probably make a little dust cover, just for good measure.  I held off on buying rotors until I get my wheel and hub, so I can measure the offset and see if there is something already out there that may work better than the stock GSXR flat ones.  It may be easier to just shim them....  I will post a link if I do...

redbullssg

« Reply #329 on: July 16, 2010, 04:54:24 am »
NOPE, I LIED!  Once the race is seated, it shrinks a bit, causing the bearing to stick out even further.  My suggestion is to stick with the XS650 lower bearing and just shim around it for the fit.  Much less hassle.  And also, I had to make a spacer for the bottom tapered bearing so that the bottom triple would clear the neck....  I think just going with what Squirley has done is the easiest way.  Although, now I have tapered roller bearings, for a long life without notching....

When I am done with it, I will do a thread on what was done.  I have been working a lot, so I haven't worked on it much.  I am teetering between two ideas now.....  And for most people, they wouldn't be the easy route....  Need a grinder, a cutoff wheel, a lathe and a welder...

Offline chevy55

« Reply #330 on: November 01, 2010, 08:50:30 pm »
Hey Squirley first of all let me start by saying your cb550 is one of the most beautiful machines i have ever seen. My question is what kind of 650 did you get the cam out of? year,make and model thanks.

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #331 on: November 02, 2010, 10:35:31 am »
Welcome to the board. Go to the home page and do a search for CB650 cam and you will find tons of post about it.

Offline chevy55

« Reply #332 on: January 03, 2011, 07:48:21 pm »
Thanks for the info on the 650 cam! can you tell me what year narrow glide front hub was used for the front wheel there's a couple different kind and I'm thinking i may have bought the wrong kind. Thanks for any info on that.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #333 on: January 03, 2011, 10:43:40 pm »
Thanks for the info on the 650 cam! can you tell me what year narrow glide front hub was used for the front wheel there's a couple different kind and I'm thinking i may have bought the wrong kind. Thanks for any info on that.

Late 2000's, i think 2008+, it has a 1 inch axle......

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline ZoomyZen

• Nube
  • Yup.
« Reply #334 on: January 03, 2011, 11:46:09 pm »
Good Stuff!! 

A while back I posted an introduction, including the fact that found myself inspired by this bike.  I first saw the bike on YouTube before I was pointed towards this forum by a member of a fishing forum I moderate.  I joined, having no idea the builder was on this forum!  I found this thread about five minutes ago!!!!

Sick bike man!  I'm on the second page, I can't wait to see it unfold.
1975 CB550F non-functioning.

Offline spammasher

« Reply #335 on: January 04, 2011, 05:29:34 am »
I have to say i liked Squirleys bike so much that while my motor was out getting new primary chain and cam chain i decided to take my frame to local engineering mob with a pic of Squirleys bike and said can you do something similar for mine. They said 'show me the money' and im rapped with the outcome. Don.

Offline englishwheeler

« Reply #336 on: January 04, 2011, 06:18:43 am »
That's a killer bike!

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #337 on: January 04, 2011, 06:21:53 pm »
I have to say i liked Squirleys bike so much that while my motor was out getting new primary chain and cam chain i decided to take my frame to local engineering mob with a pic of Squirleys bike and said can you do something similar for mine. They said 'show me the money' and im rapped with the outcome. Don.
That is a sweet bike, is that yours?

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #338 on: January 06, 2011, 03:36:58 pm »
hey you two .. quit thread jackin'  ;D

Offline chevy55

« Reply #339 on: February 26, 2011, 09:08:47 pm »
where the hell do i find those aluminum rims? I've been on this computer for months lookin for a 19x2.5 and a 18x3.5 with no luck please help me Im goin nuts!!!!

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #340 on: February 26, 2011, 09:13:50 pm »
EBAY or Buchanans

friggs

« Reply #341 on: April 08, 2011, 02:26:06 pm »
This build was one of the main reasons I joined SOHC4.net.
Really awesome build, well done on the result Squirly.

--Now to get my arse in gear and start on the CB550 carcass I have in my garage.....

Offline enkindel

« Reply #342 on: January 06, 2012, 09:44:46 pm »
Hate to revive an old thread but if you still get on here can you go into a little detail about your swingarm? Is it just got an added loop and possibly even flipped over after you decided not to do the duel shock setup?

Offline TonUp550

« Reply #343 on: February 14, 2012, 07:19:46 pm »
I love the rebuilding of the frame. what size tubing did you use for the frame? I know i am a little late to the party.

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #344 on: September 10, 2012, 02:42:12 pm »
You guys thinking about fork swapping....   great info and links in this thread.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #345 on: April 07, 2013, 09:12:17 pm »
You may want to test the rear end to see if the tire is going to contact your rear hoop/underside. If it does, that would spell disaster on the street or track causing a bad wreck. Please take care of that issue.

Nice job on the GSXR front forks and mods.  The fuel tank will look fine with good paint and give you longer range. Roll with it...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline fr33man

« Reply #346 on: May 09, 2013, 11:18:15 am »
Great Info. I'm gathering info for my cb750f1 busa fork swap.. I know nothing so all this is awesome lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline Ewan 500K1

• Hot Shot
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #347 on: August 29, 2013, 06:50:31 am »
Despite the longer rear shocks Squirley never appears to have put a sterring damper on the bike. I've been warned of rear end wobble and tank slappers due to putting longer rear shocks on my 500 cafe ... increase from 315 between centres of mounts to 361mm . Anyone got experience of using longer rear shocks.. do I really need a damper ?
jings, crivens, help ma boab

500 four K1 cafe racer build thread at :
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=100883.0

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #348 on: September 01, 2013, 02:55:43 pm »
Despite the longer rear shocks Squirley never appears to have put a sterring damper on the bike. I've been warned of rear end wobble and tank slappers due to putting longer rear shocks on my 500 cafe ... increase from 315 between centres of mounts to 361mm . Anyone got experience of using longer rear shocks.. do I really need a damper ?

Its more to do with the front than the rear, the longer shocks increase the steering head angle, which makes for faster {twitchier} steering, this increases the chance of a tank slapper, lots of racers do this mod but they usually run a steering damper to lower the risk or eliminate an oscillating front end.
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Ewan 500K1

• Hot Shot
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #349 on: September 01, 2013, 03:04:20 pm »

Its more to do with the front than the rear, the longer shocks increase the steering head angle, which makes for faster {twitchier} steering, this increases the chance of a tank slapper, lots of racers do this mod but they usually run a steering damper to lower the risk or eliminate an oscillating front end.

yep, thats I was meaning .. longer rear shocks = more acute angle for the forks / headstock at the front end = twitchy front end ?
jings, crivens, help ma boab

500 four K1 cafe racer build thread at :
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=100883.0