Author Topic: 1978 CB 750K CafeHooliganRod (new pix 4/29/09)  (Read 37628 times)

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
    • Drewfus Nation, my podcast, bicycle collection, blog etc
Re: 1978 CB 750K CafeHooliganRod (done w/pix)
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2008, 08:09:47 am »
Nice looking bike. Did you rattle can paint it?
If you truely wanted an answer to that, you could have just read through the thread.
But... heres the readers digest version: yes, and no.
tank, seatpan and headlight bucket are some professionally done truck bed liner.
everything else came out of DupliColor rattle cans (primer, paint, engine paint, wheel/brake paint, fake annodize paint, clear coats, ceramic header paint are all DupliColor products and exhaust wrap sealer/paint is from VHT/DEI I forget which right now)
"I believe in the bodies, I believe in the blood, I believe in salt around the rim of the glass because it makes us thirsty, and when we drink, then we all fall in love"
-212 Margarita by The Hold Steady
Build thread:http://forums.sohc

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2008, 08:17:41 am »
"I believe in the bodies, I believe in the blood, I believe in salt around the rim of the glass because it makes us thirsty, and when we drink, then we all fall in love"

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2008, 10:31:48 am »
Nice build!  Love the mix of colors and textures along with the #$%*in can.  Can't wait to hear her running...
Columbus VinMoto
Ohio Cafe Racers website - http://www.ohiocaferacers.com

Offline Speed King

• Enthusiast
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2008, 11:17:11 am »
That bike is sick. I gotta tell ya, I'm not hatin' the fairing. I actually like it both ways. Congrats, nice job.

Offline Tim in Ohio

• So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 08:46:56 pm »
Turned out great.  Nice job Fool.  ;D
1973 Honda CB350  Four

Check out my CB350F resto project...  watch a complete moron build a bike in front of your very eyes!: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=38903.0

DirtyUnderWhere

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2009, 09:07:38 am »
Maybe it was in the thread farther back... but what did you paint the wheels with? or are they powdered? I'm getting ready to paint my wheels black and yours look excellent. Thanks

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2009, 12:30:12 pm »
Prep:brillo, scotchbrite then clean your wheels with spray type paint prep, clean water rinse and dry with CLEAN cloth, then tack cloth. I used all DupliColor brand paints. 2 coats self etching primer (greenish) then light fine scotchbrite before a 3rd light coat of the self etching primer. Cured the primer for a day or two, then came color (DupliColor engine paint black, same as the jugs), and 4 or 5 light coats over 2 days, being careful to get it in all the nooks and crannies, the spokes are hard to do evenly. The next day I did the spray paint prep, rinse and dry, followed by a compressor blow off around the nipples and spoke holes especially. Top coat is DupliColor wheel clear coat which I have found to be TOUGH and I like the slightly matted finish it gives.

Oh yeah..... all done with the tires mounted COMPLETELY covered in masking tape (the good green 3m stuff) which made them easy to handle, every other rim I have painted didn't have the tire mounted and all had blems from touching the wheel or it tipping over or rolling away or something equally as stupid.

2,000 + miles since and they still look good, a few small rock marks and 1 scratch but that is to be expected.

good luck, have fun

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2009, 12:57:03 pm »
Here is a link to my full suspension rejuvenation thread, wherein I installed dem dere Progressive Suspension shocks and fork springs, RaceTech gold valve cartridge emulators, drilled and filled my damper rods, replaced all seals etc, and installed an All Balls tapered roller bearing headset.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=43781.0

A bit of time, no small chunk of change, a lot of learning by doing, asking, then doing again correctly but it totally transformed the handling of the bike. Now if only carb 3 would behave and stop pissing all over my engine cases randomly.....

And, here is the thread were I figured out how the #*@% to install relays in my headlights, another HUGE improvement for a lot less time and $.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45894.0

Stay tuned for pics of my electrical revamping of the bike, my kewl new plate mount bracket I made this week, and the big old dent I got in my tank Super Bowl Sunday when the bike tipped over just after I snapped the shutter on this:

Offline J.Webster Designs

• Expert
  • www.JWebsterDesigns.com
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2009, 02:00:56 pm »
I'm still waiting for my sound clip.........
VISIT OUR WEBSITE!

www.JWebsterDesigns.com

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA!

Facebook:
www.facebook.com/JWebsterDesigns

Instagram:
www.instagram.com/j.websterdesigns

Offline A Grove

• Some people call me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2009, 02:10:02 pm »
Sound! Clip!! I'm dying....

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2009, 06:57:58 pm »
Oy vey... OK, I am not dragging out the mic's and preamp, but I do have a decent camcorder around.
Within 7 days I will post video w/audio, I PROMISE.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2009, 03:41:10 am »
Hey that's looking good Drew, I didn't like Proty's bed liner paint job much, but on your bike, it looks great. Maybe it's the color, or the shape of that big tank, I dunno, but regardless, it looks good, and the whole package looks very professional mate, so well done! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline seven

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2009, 04:01:37 am »
Yeah,

That bike wouldn't look out of place in a remake of the 70's classic bikie flick, 'STONE'...........
Seriously, insincerious......

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2009, 04:11:33 am »
Most of the guys here wouldn't have seen "Stone" mate, that's why they refer to "Mad Max" so much, more's the pity............ ;)
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline syth82

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 cb550f project
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2009, 11:55:45 am »
Most of the guys here wouldn't have seen "Stone" mate, that's why they refer to "Mad Max" so much, more's the pity............ ;)

Do you mean to imply there are other Aussie movies besides Mad Max?  ;D
-Luke

By trying to make yourself sound intelligent you appear to be #$%*in stupid......

Offline Tim in Ohio

• So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2009, 06:24:01 pm »
I thought it was just "Mad Max" and "Crocodile Dundee"...  Sounds like our mates down under have been holding out on us. 
1973 Honda CB350  Four

Check out my CB350F resto project...  watch a complete moron build a bike in front of your very eyes!: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=38903.0

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2009, 08:17:56 pm »
"Stone" was a great movie (in it's day, it's a tad dated now, particularly the dialogue) written, directed by and starring a guy called Sandy Harbutt about a group of Vietnam veteran bikers badly affected by the horrors of war who stumble on a political assassination, and are then followed by the assassin, who needs to cover his tracks, and an undercover cop's efforts to keep the "Grave Diggers" alive.

Quite well acted throughout, by many of the actors who re-appeared a few years later in "Mad Max", but the star of the movie was undoubtedly the just released Kawasaki Z1, ridden by every member of the "Diggers", also a colloquial name for an Aussie soldier.

The Australian Vietnam Veterans Motorcycle Club were officially presented the clubs "colors" (a stylized skull wearing an Aussie army slouch hat) by Sandy in a ceremony in the early 1990's, and while not a 1% outlaw club, are well respected by the other 1% clubs in Oz. I've got the movie on VHS, but if I can work out how to copy it to DVD, I'll get some copies made if anyone would like.

Just a warning, the dialogue is pretty crappy, and there is some really nasty violence too, but some brilliant stunts by Grant page (who also did Mad Max) and a great fight scene where the cast "fought" the Newcastle chapter of the Hell's Angels, who worked as extra's, for a river of beer........... ;D 

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2009, 08:40:42 pm »
mmmm, river of beer  8)

Sounds like a flick I wouldn't mind watching, LMK if you get dubs done in the future.

Back to my bike...

did nearly 100 miles today when I headed out to scenic Skyline Drive on this unseasonably warm (61 degrees!) day, and she ran strong and felt great, but I think I need to spend some more time out on the twisties pushing it a little more because I sure aint as fast (fearless) a rider as I used to be. I guess 20 years and a wife and 2 kids will make even the craziest of us a little more timid. Well, it gives me something to shoot for this summer.... maybe a ton up Blue Ridge run is in order??

Drew

PS- Terry, I don't know if I ever told you how pleased with the spin on filter/oil cooler jammie I got from you, so let me say now it is one sweet piece of fabrication on your part and it has served me well :)
Thanks again

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2009, 11:14:42 pm »
Terry,

I think you owe a fellow Ambassador a DVD!

Your Long Distance Drinking Buddy (guess what I'm having now!)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline aussie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2009, 01:21:03 am »
"Stone" was a great movie (in it's day, it's a tad dated now, particularly the dialogue) written, directed by and starring a guy called Sandy Harbutt about a group of Vietnam veteran bikers badly affected by the horrors of war who stumble on a political assassination, and are then followed by the assassin, who needs to cover his tracks, and an undercover cop's efforts to keep the "Grave Diggers" alive.

Quite well acted throughout, by many of the actors who re-appeared a few years later in "Mad Max", but the star of the movie was undoubtedly the just released Kawasaki Z1, ridden by every member of the "Diggers", also a colloquial name for an Aussie soldier.

The Australian Vietnam Veterans Motorcycle Club were officially presented the clubs "colors" (a stylized skull wearing an Aussie army slouch hat) by Sandy in a ceremony in the early 1990's, and while not a 1% outlaw club, are well respected by the other 1% clubs in Oz. I've got the movie on VHS, but if I can work out how to copy it to DVD, I'll get some copies made if anyone would like.

Just a warning, the dialogue is pretty crappy, and there is some really nasty violence too, but some brilliant stunts by Grant page (who also did Mad Max) and a great fight scene where the cast "fought" the Newcastle chapter of the Hell's Angels, who worked as extra's, for a river of beer........... ;D 

Geezzz terry , the yanks have already stolen MadMax from us since Tina played a part, now you want to give them Stone. ;D ;D ;Dhehehehehehe ;D ;D

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2009, 01:48:41 am »
I jumped the fence at the local Drive in movie to watch the first showing of "Stone". There were bikes everywhere, awesome experience for a young bloke, Z9's and honda 4's everywhere.......i will never forget it...... :o

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2009, 02:39:49 am »

PS- Terry, I don't know if I ever told you how pleased with the spin on filter/oil cooler jammie I got from you, so let me say now it is one sweet piece of fabrication on your part and it has served me well :)
Thanks again

No worries drew, after 200+ adapters sold I haven't had a complaint yet, but I always like to hear from another satisfied customer, so thanks for the positive feedback mate! ;D

Terry,

I think you owe a fellow Ambassador a DVD!

Your Long Distance Drinking Buddy (guess what I'm having now!)

Ha ha, no problem Jerry, once I work out how to copy it onto a DVD, you'll be high on the priority list!

And you don't need to ask what I'm drinking right now to wash the bushfire smoke out of my mouth! ;D

Geezzz terry , the yanks have already stolen MadMax from us since Tina played a part, now you want to give them Stone. ;D ;D ;Dhehehehehehe ;D ;D

Well I think it's only fair Wayne, America is known for many wonderful things, (Makers Mark Bourbon, Harley Davidson motorcycles and the Ford Mustang being the standouts in my mind, in that order) but sadly, their biker movies are shiite.

With luck, some Hollywood producer will see "Stone" and steal the concept for a decent modern day movie about "a bunch of hard drinking, hard living Gulf War veteran bikers who witness a political assassination, (not Obama, hopefully) and are then followed by the assassin, who needs to cover his tracks, and an undercover cop's efforts to keep the "Grave Dogs" alive.", ha ha! ;D

Anyway, sorry about the thread hijack Drew, and once again, nice bike mate! ;D

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:25:15 am by Terry in Australia »

Offline seven

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2009, 03:57:32 am »
Sorry to keep on Hi Jacking But,

Anyone who wants an uncut version of the movie can get it here.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/B00140PKDW/severinfilms-20
Seriously, insincerious......

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2009, 10:16:58 am »
30 seconds of crappy camcorder audio for you.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Offline J.Webster Designs

• Expert
Re: 1978 CB 750K CafeHooliganRod (done w/pix and now***BAD AUDIO!!!***)
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2009, 03:15:20 pm »
thank you good sir. thats what i was hoping it would sound like.
VISIT OUR WEBSITE!

www.JWebsterDesigns.com

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA!

Facebook:
www.facebook.com/JWebsterDesigns

Instagram:
www.instagram.com/j.websterdesigns