Author Topic: 1972 CL350 Ground up Restoration  (Read 49344 times)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
Re: 1972 CL350 Winter Ground up Restoration
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2006, 06:07:48 pm »
A little more head way today. Got the carbs, air filters and filter covers on today. Took a bit of frustration remembering how to route the throttle cable but finally got it ;D

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2006, 07:03:53 pm »
Apparently getting tires for this old beast isn't so easy.
Picked up the rear today and got it on. Here are the picts. Front wheel tomorrow, they had to order it.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2006, 10:55:00 am »
That bike's looking good!
When you were doing your polishing, what grit # did you start with? I've been using 600 wet and dry paper with good results on parts that are not badly corroded but leary of using heavier grit on worse condition parts without some advice first.
Thanks,
Cliff.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2006, 04:09:46 pm »
Wet sand....started at 200-300-400-600-800-1000 then the polish wheel

Don't be afraid.........you won't see the reusults until you get to the polish, but this is how I have done both bikes now.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2006, 05:25:18 pm »
Thanks!
I just finished a rear hub that was pretty bad. Started with 400, then 600, then autosol but it still wasn't good enough. I tried an SOS pad of all things. It brought it uo nicely, cleaning all the dirt out and then finished with autosol. Came out great. Just a nice bright lustre for that area is what I wanted.
Cheers,
Cliff.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2006, 09:30:27 pm »
Another weekend and a bit more progress. New tires, wheels balanced, both brakes hooked up/

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2006, 11:06:47 pm »
Lookin' good Seaweb...lookin' like a bike now.Mama's going to like it..I can tell!!
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2006, 05:02:24 pm »
Hello again. Removed 4-1 Molasses mixture from gas tank today and it worked like magic. No more rust.
I did a mock up of new Ebay exhaust as well  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4616259873&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1  It looks great!,

also picked up an original nicely chromed long exhaust shield at $41.00  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4619679470&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1<p>

Here is the newest Ebay purchase, a "NEW" Original Seat from Singapore. God I hope it fits.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4621105352&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

No new photos today, my  wife took the camera with her on her "Learn how to ride a bike safety school course" Her second day of actually riding a motorcycle. 

The finish line has come and gone, I'm now on overdrive to get it on the road for her.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2006, 05:42:31 pm »
seaweb, you can catch us up later, get her bike together so she can be enjoying it. I'm sure that I'm not the only one wanting to see photos of it. Judging from the progress you've already made and the parts that you got to finish it up, That 350 is going to be some piece of work!! You and your wife have every right to be proud, you're doing a great job. Hope my 450s (I have 3 CB & 1 CL to build on) turn out somewhere near as good. Later on, Bill :) ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2006, 06:33:41 pm »
Thank you for the encouragement guys.

Ohio Cafes just mailed me the last rubber washers and bolts for the final rear fender installation. Just have to wait for the re chromed stuff and some custom paint and some, and some, and some...............$$$$$$$$$$

I'm a bit stumped, I have a picture of a 72 and a 73 on the wall in my shop/  visual aids for the motorcycle impaired.
My wife wants to do the 73 "gold" on the tank and sides. I know it will look great like that, but all my efforts of keeping this bike stock and now put the wrong color on it?  I'm not positive of the colors available at that time, but I have only seen red or blue with this tank. And this tank is correct for the bike....as far as I know.

But the frame is silver after all, so I suppose any hopes of a "stock" bike whent out the window with that choice. (I love it!) :D

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2006, 06:14:26 am »
I think there was a gold colour for the CL, according to the thousands of eBay auctions I've seen by now chasing CB350 parts. Anyway, as you say, when you decided to change the frame colour the bike will not be stock anymore, so just paint it with the colour your wife likes more. At the end, it is HER bike.

My CB350 was baccus olive green, but I plan to paint it in Candy Gold. If I could go back in time and buy the bike new from the showroom, that would be the colour I would have chosen, so I will paint it gold.

Raul

Offline techy5025

• Expert
  • 1969 Diecast and Sandcast 750's
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2006, 01:26:08 pm »
Seaweb,

Where are you getting all the polishing wheels.  All I seem to find are
these six inch jobbies that don't get into the nooks and crannies. You
obviously have a great talent for polishing....and a lot of patience.  8)

Beautiful job......

Jim
1969 750 K0 (Reborn)
1969 Sandcast 750 K0 (Reborn)
2003 CBR600F4I

Offline mwvachon

• Hot Shot
  • The Family Heirloom
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2006, 05:35:02 pm »
Seaweb,

If you're wondering about correct colors, try this link: http://www.honda350k.com/CL350.html
I have a K4 model, but ended up with a red K3 tank (all I could find at the time). Your tank looks like a K4 to me. No wonder I could never match up the the new side covers with the tank (the K3 tank is a darker shade of red). Honda did have a candy gold color for the K3/1973 model year.

Unfortunately, my CL is a half-a$$ed restoration, looks no where as nice as yours! I also ran into an issue with the bike not being able to start - traced it down to a possible drag on the crank. Bearings? Rings? Not quite sure as I did put new rings, but did nothing with the bottom end except clean it up. I gave up and threw in a salvaged engine - but still haven't gotten that one to run either! So what did I do? I started a second restoration project on my 71 CB750-K1! This one is getting all the attention to details it requires (professional paint, powder coating, head service by machine shop, etc). I will get the CL running soon, though. I have a 72 CB350 (complete, but rough) that I am planning on doing a custom restoration on. I was wondering about doing a red frame with a silver tank combination - but I really like the look of your silver frame! We'll see...

Miles & Smiles
Mike V.
M.W.Vachon
2014 CB1100 Deluxe
1999 Valkyrie I/S
1971 CB750-K1 (Candy Gold)
1971 CB750-K1 (Candy Red)
Project link: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=108498.0]
1965 Honda S90
1976 GL1000
1975 CB400F

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2006, 09:01:34 pm »
I dropped off the tank, headlight bucket and side panels at the painters today. This guy did my 750 last year and really knows his stuff! Decided to go metallic 74 CL350 GOLD with a silver trim on the tank. Should pop nicely ;D

Received a few rubber washers I needed to complete the rear fender, signals installation as well and got that done.
Won't be any more posts for a couple of weeks while I wait for the chrome and paint stuff to come back for completion.

Still waiting on an Ebay purchase of a brand new seat out of Singapore, and an "as new center exhaust shield".

Did I say Completion......OH YEAH!  Another Winter another Bike ;D

next.......

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2006, 09:28:24 am »
Finally got it all back together, photos a bit later.
Here are my main issues. Any thoughts anyone?
#Remember all stock configuration.

Took it out for a hard run today.

* coughs and sputters at anything over 6000rpm
* I seem to have a short on one side of the points when the points cover
is on, only runs on the one side then. I don't get why it would rub on anything?
* Ran it without the cover and all went well..up to 6000rpm, but noticed
a bit of oil dripping out of points area, Should oil be getting in there?

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2006, 04:42:08 am »
There is an oil seal on the crankcase plain bearing, so no oil should be coming out. Have you replaced the four screws that attach the points housing (that work as camshaft bearing) to the engine? The original were slightly shorter, so if you just put new ones they can bottom up before actually tightening the housing and the gasket. The points chrome cover should have an isolating coat inside. If you have rechromed yours and the coating is off, the spark could be jumping to the cover. The problem with revs over 6.000 rpm could be due to a wrong spark advancer adjustment

Raul

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2006, 10:22:35 pm »
There is an oil seal on the crankcase plain bearing, so no oil should be coming out. Have you replaced the four screws that attach the points housing (that work as camshaft bearing) to the engine? The original were slightly shorter, so if you just put new ones they can bottom up before actually tightening the housing and the gasket. The points chrome cover should have an isolating coat inside. If you have re chromed yours and the coating is off, the spark could be jumping to the cover. The problem with revs over 6.000 rpm could be due to a wrong spark advancer adjustmentRaul

Sorry for the delay in responding Raul , was trying my best to get it all sorted for the Vancover Classic Bike Show this past Sunday.
Unfortunately, neither the bike nor the wife were really up to the task. "Patients, "Patients, "Patients, "Patients

I will admit to all at this point to all reading..........,  I was so close to it running great, I GAVE up a bit and had the Best Honda Dealership Ever!  to look into the last of the last details. I called on Sat at 9:00AM and told the guys I was trying to get her to a show the next day and they said get on a ferry and we will sort it out.  They did. still waiting on the seal and all should be well.
I am truly one of the lucky ones here on the forum with a supportive Dealership. They love my bikes! Just a bunch of bike keeners like us here.

No re-chroming, or new screws. Seems  the Crank shaft oil seal was gone. "Probably due to my two days of installing and un-installing the cam shaft re-fit trying to get it right.  I did in fact get it right if any one cares ;D

The one sided burn was caused by a points grounding issue, a bad points setting to start with, but also a poor spark plug wire connection.
*Dealership also found I had not set the valve clearances. That helped a lot as well.

"Coughs and sputters at anything over 6000rpm"  was due to the oil spewing through on to the points.

I did get the digital camera back today, but now the bike is at the dealership until the oil seal comes in.
New photos promised in the next few days to any one waiting to see the finished project.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2006, 12:07:20 am »
Well hell ya!!!! I know I have been keepin in touch with this build.Glad to hear it was sorted out and minor details.Can't wait to see end result.Bring it on Seaweb!!!
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2006, 04:47:20 am »
.....waiting to see the photos also....cant wait!! ;D

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2006, 05:36:19 am »
Well hell ya!!!! I know I have been keepin in touch with this build.Glad to hear it was sorted out and minor details.Can't wait to see end result.Bring it on Seaweb!!!
.....waiting to see the photos also....cant wait!! ;D

WHAT THEY SAID!!!!!!!!! We all are anxiously waiting. Later on, Bill
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2006, 08:54:07 pm »
Still no seat, PU tomorrow. Here's a tease photo.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2006, 09:06:36 pm »

seaweb, you DO know how to tease! Knowing that there's nothing we can do about it.
         In the words of Yosemite Sam,"You're Despicable"  WE'RE WAITING! PATIENTLY WAITING!
         PATIENTLY that is. Ha!Ha! the suspense is killing us (or at least me) Later on, Bill
Member # 1969

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2006, 09:11:29 pm »
OK.......here's another. What do you think of the color? 73 gold with a silver accent on the tank instead of red

I will take some wider shots once the seat is on.  Promise ;D

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2006, 06:18:17 pm »
Here's some more

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2006, 07:04:27 pm »

seaweb- 
              Man, that is one sweet looking ride!! The only thing about a buildup is, when it's finished, it's
     kind of a letdown that it's over. Good looking bike though and you should be proud. Later on, Bill
Member # 1969