Author Topic: Ever heard of dynabeads?  (Read 43110 times)

Offline Burnboy

• Hot Shot
Ever heard of dynabeads?
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:49:27 pm »
they're small beads that you put in your tires and it keeps them balanced. Wondering if anyone has used them or heard of someone who has.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/service.htm
1975 CB750
1973 CB350F

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
Re: Ever heard of dynabeads?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:51:38 pm »
I don't get it....
No.

Offline Burnboy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 12:56:48 pm »
as the wheel spins the beads are pushed out with centrifugal force and then somehow balance the tire. Ive heard a lot of truckers use them too
1975 CB750
1973 CB350F

Offline Burnboy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 12:58:25 pm »
yeah Equal is what ive heard of them using before, but the dynabeads would only be about 10 dollars total for a bike, not bad if it works.
1975 CB750
1973 CB350F

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 12:58:35 pm »
as the wheel spins the beads are pushed out with centrifugal force and then somehow balance the tire. Ive heard a lot of truckers use them too

Yeah, I get the concept, I just don't see how it would actually work properly. But what do I know, I'm just a caveman. Your world confuses and frightens me.
No.

Offline Inkscars

• grumpiness comparable to an
  • Old Timer
  • I have a box. I'm used to being ignored.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 12:59:57 pm »
I've heard of people using moisture in a similar fashion. Now this is the only way it was explained to me that made any sense.
"Off road tires are really big and" blah blah blah blah " to people that aren't used to the big tires, the ride seems choppy or wobbly even " blah blah blah blah " so you put this stuff in the wheel, and as the wheel and tire rotate, it fills in weak spots or uneven spots in the tire which dampens the vibrating sensation."
I'll repeat what I tell customers that come in, complaining of vibrating tires on big truck with big stupid tires, " It's not a cadillac sir, those tires aren't made for the highway, and that's why it feels like that."
Seems like a smart way to make money off of "simple-minded" people.
And who the hell named us; click-click-click-click-click-click

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline Sporkfly

• The frosty rider
  • Hot Shot
  • Mmm, Guinness
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 01:12:14 pm »
Keep in mind you'll only be using these on tubeless, unless you find a way to get 'em in the tube!  ;)
1977 CB550K
1979 GL1000 - Current project, winter '09-'10
1979 CX500
1976 Suzuki GT500 Titan

gilesclement

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 01:16:17 pm »
whatever happened to just balancing your tires?

ever tried to use that Fix-a-Flat liquid crap to repair a flat? You'll have a non flat tire alright but the liquid floating around in there will make you think you're sitting on a clothes washers filled with a corpse.

Offline Inkscars

• grumpiness comparable to an
  • Old Timer
  • I have a box. I'm used to being ignored.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 01:19:25 pm »
 :D What? You don't think someone could get 'em in the tube? Don't forget, where there's a will, there's a dumbass to try it.
Oh, and about the liquid, It really depends on the consistency of the liquid. I've had fix a flat that hardened, that resembles your corpse analogy, but I've had water in a tire (on accident) that actually made the wobble from a bent rim disappear.
???
And who the hell named us; click-click-click-click-click-click

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline new2novas

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 02:03:58 pm »
thats more for an emergency just to get you somewhere, not a permanent fix ???
75 cb750F

Offline Inigo Montoya

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 02:12:35 pm »
Spork, you remove the valve itself and just pour em in. Reinsert valve and there you go. ;) My concern though would be the wear inside the tube.

Offline Sporkfly

• The frosty rider
  • Hot Shot
  • Mmm, Guinness
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 02:33:28 pm »
I remember looking at these before, from what I saw they were a bit too large to fit through a schrader and there was a special valve they sold so you wouldn't get them screwing up your valve....

Anyway, I'll be honest, I didn't check the link you have there because I've read about these before. Be interesting to see a review of them, especially if you get 'em in that tube ;)
1977 CB550K
1979 GL1000 - Current project, winter '09-'10
1979 CX500
1976 Suzuki GT500 Titan

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 02:39:48 pm »
I saw this stuff at a Harley Dealership where "you can buy better, but you can't pay more"

The guy at the parts counter (a member here who'll remain nameless for now) said good things about them. 
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 08:28:38 pm »
We put them in the front tire (tubeless) of my Sportster earlier this year as an experiment. The back has the standard weights. (we couldn't get the back tire to bead so took it to the shop and same thing so we put a tube in and they just balanced it right away so no beads in there.) I notice no difference in balance between front/back and rides really smoooth. We went with the valve stem they offer because those little balls are tiny and can clog a standard valve stem and make it hard to release or fill. I like it. It doesn't take much filler either for MC tires. What I wonder is how much of a mess it makes when swapping to new tires later on. As I understand it, truckers use them and they just vacuum them out, change tires and reuse the beads.
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)
2006 HD 883 Sportster, stock. No use changing it, it's still gonna be a Harley.

Offline Achmed

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 08:42:52 pm »
mlinder, you sandbagger, you. I would think it increases the moment of inertia (in the third or fourth dimension?) I guess I could see how it evens out imbalances of poor tires, but how, by filling in spots where the rubber is bulged out somehow? I admit I didn't click on any links in this thread.

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 08:54:44 pm »
they don't claim to fill bad spots in bad tires, they claim to evenly distribute due to centrifugal force, and also distribute opposite areas of greater mass, thereby smoothing the rotation. There are a lot of independent tests on these as well.

here is a report done by auburn university on a similar product, "counteract balancing" concluding that it worked.

it seems like on every forum there're two or three guys (usually engineers) saying "We need hard evidence! Data!" and a bunch of other people saying "We don't know how to quantify it, but the performance is great!"  ...so w/e.  I plan on putting them in my front tire pretty soon.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:59:32 pm by Kit »
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline XN

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 01:25:55 am »
I've ran them in my VTX for 2 years with no problems. I use the normal valve cores with them and have never had a bead stuck in them.  There is a cool video on youtube showing how they work. (Id post a link, but the darn work filters won't let me get there)
78 Honda CB750K
02 Yamaha V-star 650
02 Honda VTX 1800

Offline nippon

• Hot Shot
    • Classic Cycle City
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 02:56:30 am »
When I visited the website first, I thought it is an instruction guide for smuggling cocaine.  :D

Offline Burnboy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 02:57:20 am »
here ya go, pretty cool video.
does it sound like a markkaa every time you stop though?
1975 CB750
1973 CB350F

Markcb750

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 04:41:23 am »
I searched through several pages of Google results, I can find only anecdotal evidence of effectiveness.  No tire or vehicle manufactures have posted test results that I could find.

My engineering nature tells me to be skeptical without test result from qualified laboratories or tire manufactures.  I would not use them, I prefer to do things I "know" work, as opposed to things I "think" work.  a fine philosophical line I know, but I drew it and I ain't crossing it.  :)

Beyond my engineers opinion, it is your time, money, and safety do what you want, let us know your result.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:50:13 am by Markcb750 »

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 04:46:58 am »
:D What? You don't think someone could get 'em in the tube? Don't forget, where there's a will, there's a dumbass to try it.
Oh, and about the liquid, It really depends on the consistency of the liquid. I've had fix a flat that hardened, that resembles your corpse analogy, but I've had water in a tire (on accident) that actually made the wobble from a bent rim disappear.
???

I just put NOS in my tire tubes. Will that be a problem?
Quote from: SOHC Digger, RIP
'Ere's whatcha do, Guvna', just throw a couple dookie logs in the hearth and bob's your uncle!
'77 CB750k

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 06:49:45 am »
OK, I'm no physicist, but something is ringing some bells that say "wait a second, this can't be right" in my head. Maybe we should start a thread in open forum to dissect this concept...
No.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 06:55:37 am »
OK, I'm no physicist, but something is ringing some bells that say "wait a second, this can't be right" in my head. Maybe we should start a thread in open forum to dissect this concept...

Can an airplane ...on a conveyor belt...   ;D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 06:57:10 am »

Can an airplane ...on a conveyor belt...   ;D

Right.
No.