Author Topic: Pods off, airbox on = instant smoooooth!!  (Read 9492 times)

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Pods off, airbox on = instant smoooooth!!
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 03:57:27 pm »
since the subject came up again,what do ya`ll think about a k&n versus a paper filter?
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 05:37:01 pm »
since the subject came up again,what do ya`ll think about a k&n versus a paper filter?
K&N +5  :D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 11:11:19 pm »

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=30589.msg314926#msg314926

No change in my opinion since 2008.  The only difference between then and now is the bike now has over 123,000 miles on it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:17:27 pm by ofreen »
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline worlddrum13

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 05:58:54 am »
so bare with me for i am a noob. i put pods on my bike because i am looking for performance. it has a rather open 4-1 pipe. i assumed they would increase airflow and help with the exaust. would i get better performance by putting an airbox on?  should i change the jets back too?
75 750 k6

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 06:07:34 am »
i don't think you'll get better performance, but it will be much more liveable and smooth.  power will roll on off idle the way it should, it won't be jumpy like it is with pods.  like said before, an airbox gives your motor a "pool" of somewhat stable air to draw from, eliminating dead spaces and unwanted turbulence around individual filter bodies like you have with pods.  the stock airbox also has build in venturis which help aid in increasing velocity and direction of airflow into the carb throat, which means a better and more laminar air flow into the cylinders, yielding more consistency between cylinders and therefore smoother and easier to handle power.  the airbox is also quieter, but that's a moot point as some people like the vacuum cleaner sounds, and others what to only hear the motor and exhaust. 

pods are a hot subject around here because while they look b.a. they can be a tuning nightmare.  some people have been working on tuning for a LONG time and still can't dial it in, but when they throw on their airbox, they make one adjustment and BOOM, instant smooooooth, just like the title says.  the pods have no shielding from wind buffeting so if you get in a cross wind you get a lean symptom or your leg blocks off air flow that cylinder will become rich.  this leads to a lack of power in the low rpms, where you really need it to pull out of a corner in a higher gear.  i'll admit, pods and stacks look SO freggin cool, but i can't argue with the way the bike feels with an airbox.  i'd rather make the breadbox look as good as i can than deal with jetting and tuning pods.  just my $.02
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline laser145

• underfunded
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 06:07:49 am »
so bare with me for i am a noob. i put pods on my bike because i am looking for performance. it has a rather open 4-1 pipe. i assumed they would increase airflow and help with the exaust. would i get better performance by putting an airbox on?  should i change the jets back too?

The performance issue has been argued here many times. I think the consensus (if there is one) is that you won't notice a change in performance... well that's not true...you'll notice that your bike doesn't run as well, so there may be a lack of performance.

Others seem to enjoy pods, and maybe they're just very good at tunings carbs...I'm not.

My 750 has pods from the PO, it's runs ok...but I bought a stock box from another member and I'm excited to install it. I'm hoping to see it smooth the bike out.

Cheers

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 06:19:58 am »

Hi mate, you are going to get a pile of people telling you pods are better {kinda like an oil thread} but the airbox with a good filter {k&N} will produce the best results and flow more consistent air with less turbulence making it far easier to tune the bike. In Australia we have the fastest 750/4 Honda race bikes on the planet {non standard} and i can show you pics of one with an airbox on it, its not a standard airbox but it is still an airbox.

I am building a 1000cc monster and i am going to try to build a slightly bigger airbox out of 2 airboxes to use on it.

I have had a few 750/4's and i used airboxes on all and all mine were non standard bikes with performance 4 into 1 exhausts and i never had a problem tuning any of them, there are very few guys that run pods that can say the same thing.

Mick

750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline edbikerii

• Master
    • Gallery
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 07:38:10 am »
If you have upgraded your exhaust, the odds are that your bike will not run properly -- even with the stock airbox -- unless you re-jet to match the increased air flow.  In my opinion, based on my experience, if you are going to have to re-jet anyway, you may as well go with pods.

My real-world experience was that with my less restrictive 4-1 exhaust and the stock airbox, the bike ran very, very hot, because it was running lean.  This is VERY BAD FOR YOUR ENGINE'S LONGEVITY.  She started up easily, ran well, etc., but she was too lean.

All-around performance will be just fine with PODS, if you tune it properly, including jetting properly.  At high RPM you will enjoy a performance improvement.

For the full run-down on that, including the cylinder head temp measurements, experiences with rich/lean running, etc., see the links in my sig.
SOHC4 #289
1977 CB550K - SOLD
1997 YAMAHA XJ600S - SOLD
1986 GL1200I - SOLD
2004 BMW R1150R

Jetting: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20869.msg258435#msg258435
Needles:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20869.msg253711#msg253711

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 07:47:59 am »
If you have upgraded your exhaust, the odds are that your bike will not run properly -- even with the stock airbox -- unless you re-jet to match the increased air flow.  In my opinion, based on my experience, if you are going to have to re-jet anyway, you may as well go with pods.

My real-world experience was that with my less restrictive 4-1 exhaust and the stock airbox, the bike ran very, very hot, because it was running lean.  This is VERY BAD FOR YOUR ENGINE'S LONGEVITY.  She started up easily, ran well, etc., but she was too lean.

All-around performance will be just fine with PODS, if you tune it properly, including jetting properly.  At high RPM you will enjoy a performance improvement.

For the full run-down on that, including the cylinder head temp measurements, experiences with rich/lean running, etc., see the links in my sig.

While you should probably re-jet for an open exhaust, that does not mean that you should go to pods.  A slight re-jet and the stock airbox will perform better in "real world" riding than pods. 
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline edbikerii

• Master
    • Gallery
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 07:49:14 am »
I appreciate your opinion, but I tend to ride in the "real world", too.  I've had no noticeable performance issues with my pods.

While you should probably re-jet for an open exhaust, that does not mean that you should go to pods.  A slight re-jet and the stock airbox will perform better in "real world" riding than pods. 
SOHC4 #289
1977 CB550K - SOLD
1986 GL1200I - SOLD
2004 BMW R1150R

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 11:49:45 am »

"Performance" may be an over used word, and it certainly has a very broad meaning which changes according to goals.  For example, fuel economy can be part of a performance spec.  Max power at red line can be a performance spec.  Power available at "roll on" can be a performance spec., etc. While pods may indeed be "better" for a special purpose track event.  It is clear to me that the stock induction is far better at the wide range of conditions/requirements found during street use.

First, Pods are not a supercharger.  It won't stuff any more oxygen into the cylinder that the engine doesn't demand.
Oxygen and fuel are what makes the power.  If you've seen engines that were mechanically altered and used pods, it wasn't the pods that made the engine more powerful.  The pods may have enabled that particular engine to make more power though, as it's demands are now beyond what the stock air induction system was designed to supply.

The stock air box only presents increased "flow resistance" at engine speeds very near and above red line.  Those speeds are only intermittently used on street bikes.
Past reports noted, at best, a 1-2 Hp improvement at or above red line for modified engines using pods.
It should be noted that "pods" are not a specification.  There are many brands/styles and they do not "flow" equally among the brands and styles.

The SOHC4 carburetion is not adaptive like todays modern computer controlled systems are.  Changes in exhaust back pressure effect cylinder scavenging and air/fuel charge replacement of what remains in the cylinder from the previous firing cycle.  Carbs don't know about this, and Honda set the metering to be "in range" with the exhaust provided when new.
Similarly, the induction characteristics effect the depth of vacuum in the carb throats.  It is the depth of that vacuum from either venturi effect or simply engine suction, that determines the rate of flow from a given fuel metering orifice.  There is flow in the carbs because air is being used to equalize pressure between atmospheric and what the engine cylinder demands.  In the tube between source and destination is a gradient pressure.  For purposes of explanation, a 12 inch tube might have half the pressure differential midway in the tube.  If you chop off the tube (like is done using pods) the midway point of the pressure gradient moves farther back toward the intake valve and away from the carb metering jet.   The closer the metering jet exit is moved toward the inlet source along the tube, the less effect the engine source vacuum will have on drawing fuel into the carbs and this alters/leans the fuel mixture for a given jet orifice size.
Therefore, an induction system change can effect what the size of the fuel metering orifices must be to achieve proper air fuel ratios for "best power".  Then there is the turbulence developed by any obstruction placed in air flow, such as filter media.  Pods put all that turbulence and it's downstream effects right at the mouth of the carburetor where the variable-with-airspeed downstream effects can reach into the carb throat to the fuel jet exits.

As the carbs are not adaptive, best power must be set for an average temperature, and outside air pressure.
Temperature not only changes the engine's combustion efficiency, but the air, or more importantly the oxygen, density.  Barometric pressure also effects the oxygen density.  Honda engineers had to find the "mid-point" for all these variables, and set the carb metering to anticipate all the variables that would be encountered anywhere in the world, assuming the induction and exhaust preformed as the stock ones do.

Anyway, there is a "ripple effect" when you change a parameter in the induction system that alters the pressure in the carb throats.
The slide cutaway shape works differently at different air densities (think carb throat pressure).  And, the whole range of mixtures provided by the main throttle valve between 1/4 and 3/4 positions that are determined by the taper of the slide needle profile length and shape.

Is it really such a surprise that the stock arrangement is better for the stock street engine than a change over to pods?

However, if it's really more noise you are after, loud pipes and pods sure make it "sound" like there is more power from the engine, even if "performance" has actually diminished.  ;D

Cheers,

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 12:00:00 pm »
the musings of Two Tired and a hot cup of coffee.....PRICELESS!  ;D

can i get that in a hardbound edition?

..i am a sponge.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 02:25:18 pm »
In the tube between source and destination is a gradient pressure.  For purposes of explanation, a 12 inch tube might have half the pressure differential midway in the tube.  If you chop off the tube (like is done using pods) the midway point of the pressure gradient moves farther back toward the intake valve and away from the carb metering jet.   The closer the metering jet exit is moved toward the inlet source along the tube, the less effect the engine source vacuum will have on drawing fuel into the carbs and this alters/leans the fuel mixture for a given jet orifice size.

Just to share an anecdote, my bike has always had pods on it since I bought it.  It had been jetted by the PO and ran OK (but was pretty rich), but suffered from all the classic symptoms you hear about with pods.  As I tinkered over the years with the system , I decided to create some extension tubes that would move the pods rearward.  I made them up out of PVC and rubber hose, maintaining as much as possible a smooth inner tract.  The spacers were about three inches long or so. 

The bike ran better like this, but still not like you'd get with a stock airbox.  TwoTired's statement explains this, as I'd changed the relationship between the metering orifice (jet) and the end of the intake tract.  Since the jet was now further from the end of the tract and hence atmospheric pressure, the vacuum at the jet was correspondingly higher.

I'm in the midst of a rebuild right now and current plans are to install an airbox and return to stock jetting.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline worlddrum13

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 02:42:10 pm »
for the benifit of this thread, let me rephrase my question and give you my scenario. i got a 75 k6 for FREE. here's the catch. its in 3 weather beaten cardboard bboxes and milk crates. over 2 years i built it with the parts that were given and had to use ebay and my parts 550 for others. it had a 4-1 pipe already but no airbox. i assumed it didnt have the original due to its pipes. so, i went to ebay and bought a generic pod set for it. like alot of people are stating in this thread, im having trouble tuning them. i guess my question is, " if i buy a stock airbox for this bike, is there going to be a problem considering the pipe is rather open? is has 110 mains btw"
75 750 k6

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 03:11:39 pm »

So put some bigger jets in it.... ::)      Don't blow things out of proportion just to make a less popular point, it doesn't help one little bit.
  All my bikes had performance pipes on them and all ran excellent with bigger jets and i live in an environment where temps quite often go over 100 degrees for 3/4 of the year.  There are a lot of guys on here struggling to tune their bikes with pods on them, the guys using the stock airbox don't have these problems at all...

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 03:29:47 pm »
for the benifit of this thread, let me rephrase my question and give you my scenario. i got a 75 k6 for FREE. here's the catch. its in 3 weather beaten cardboard bboxes and milk crates. over 2 years i built it with the parts that were given and had to use ebay and my parts 550 for others. it had a 4-1 pipe already but no airbox. i assumed it didnt have the original due to its pipes. so, i went to ebay and bought a generic pod set for it. like alot of people are stating in this thread, im having trouble tuning them. i guess my question is, " if i buy a stock airbox for this bike, is there going to be a problem considering the pipe is rather open? is has 110 mains btw"

You may be fine with stock jetting. I don't know what stock is for your bike, but with mine I went from 100 to 105 with stock airbox, uni replacement and a fairly open 4 into 1. 
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline gravano

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2010, 03:42:45 pm »
I have pods on my CB550f and am planning on going back to stock.

Main Reason: Burbles in and after a rain.
Sub Reason: My bike runs beautifully, but the choke has to be open halfway.

I want to get rid of the burbles, but since my bike is jetted (maybe) to the pods, will it be difficult to get it back to stock?
Should I follow the Aint really Broke Don't Fix it line or make my CB better?

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2010, 04:01:18 pm »
I want to get rid of the burbles, but since my bike is jetted (maybe) to the pods, will it be difficult to get it back to stock?
Should I follow the Aint really Broke Don't Fix it line or make my CB better?

You will thank yourself every time you ride your bike after you switch back to stock. 

The difficulty in switching back depends on how much was changed when the pods were installed, and whether or not you still have the stock components.  If the only changes made were the jet sizes, then it's just a matter of dropping the bowls and replacing the jets.  If the needle clips were moved, then it's a little more work, but still worth it. 

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 04:04:34 pm »
The F model Cb550 had #98 mains, largely because of the quieter and more restrictive exhaust.
The slide needle was of a different profile, and the position was in a leaner position than the K models.

If "going back to stock" includes muffler and air box arrangement, you can just return the carbs to book value and drive away happily.

A more open exhaust (and stock air box) most likely means a larger main jet, and at least a different slide needle position.  I've not found the UNI filter to make THAT much of a difference on my stock Cb550Fs.  But, it does seem to be running slightly leaner.  Some of that may also be the California democrat mandated 10% ethanol in the gas, which effectively makes the mixture leaner, too.  I can't really tell which has more effect, as I can't buy good gas.  Further, I'm near sea level (200-300 ft), which by nature, puts more oxygen in the mix too, as here we all have a bigger stack of air on top of us than higher elevations do.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline gravano

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 04:17:11 pm »
Going back to stock means air box only.

I'm still trying to get a psychological profile of the previous owners of my CB550f, but it seems they didn't make changes to increase performance, only to fix what was broken with whatever they had handy or was under ten bucks. So, I'm guessing they may not have bought new jets, but I suppose I'll need to take a look. 

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 05:40:12 pm »
If you have to ride around with your choke half closed, they probably did not re-jet.  You are running really lean and compensating for it with the choke. 

Offline edbikerii

• Master
    • Gallery
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 07:00:05 pm »
Make sure you go with stock exhaust, then.

BTW, your bike was not jetting properly.  As you said, "it was pretty rich".

In the tube between source and destination is a gradient pressure.  For purposes of explanation, a 12 inch tube might have half the pressure differential midway in the tube.  If you chop off the tube (like is done using pods) the midway point of the pressure gradient moves farther back toward the intake valve and away from the carb metering jet.   The closer the metering jet exit is moved toward the inlet source along the tube, the less effect the engine source vacuum will have on drawing fuel into the carbs and this alters/leans the fuel mixture for a given jet orifice size.

Just to share an anecdote, my bike has always had pods on it since I bought it.  It had been jetted by the PO and ran OK (but was pretty rich), but suffered from all the classic symptoms you hear about with pods.  As I tinkered over the years with the system , I decided to create some extension tubes that would move the pods rearward.  I made them up out of PVC and rubber hose, maintaining as much as possible a smooth inner tract.  The spacers were about three inches long or so.  

The bike ran better like this, but still not like you'd get with a stock airbox.  TwoTired's statement explains this, as I'd changed the relationship between the metering orifice (jet) and the end of the intake tract.  Since the jet was now further from the end of the tract and hence atmospheric pressure, the vacuum at the jet was correspondingly higher.

I'm in the midst of a rebuild right now and current plans are to install an airbox and return to stock jetting.

mystic_1
SOHC4 #289
1977 CB550K - SOLD
1986 GL1200I - SOLD
2004 BMW R1150R

Offline edbikerii

• Master
    • Gallery
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 07:04:46 pm »
Yes, rejet to match the exhaust.  That's what I said.  It is exactly the same work required to rejet for exhaust + pods.  Oh, well except that it is 100% easier to work on a bike with pods rather than airbox.

Popular?  Why would I give a #$%* about that?

So put some bigger jets in it.... ::)      Don't blow things out of proportion just to make a less popular point, it doesn't help one little bit.
  All my bikes had performance pipes on them and all ran excellent with bigger jets and i live in an environment where temps quite often go over 100 degrees for 3/4 of the year.  There are a lot of guys on here struggling to tune their bikes with pods on them, the guys using the stock airbox don't have these problems at all...

Mick
SOHC4 #289
1977 CB550K - SOLD
1986 GL1200I - SOLD
2004 BMW R1150R

Offline edbikerii

• Master
    • Gallery
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 07:12:32 pm »
Hey TT, just to be clear, I don't disagree with you at all.  If you want the simplest, most idiot-proof solution, then by all means use the stock pipes and the stock airbox.

However, if your pipes are rotted (who's pipes arent after 30+ years?) it is going to cost you at least an arm and a leg to replace them with a stock exhaust.  I'm quite sure that the OP's entire bike cost less than 1/4 of what an OEM exhaust, in decent condition, would cost him.

If he uses anything but stock exhaust AND stock airbox, he's going to have to rejet.

The F model Cb550 had #98 mains, largely because of the quieter and more restrictive exhaust.
The slide needle was of a different profile, and the position was in a leaner position than the K models.

If "going back to stock" includes muffler and air box arrangement, you can just return the carbs to book value and drive away happily.

A more open exhaust (and stock air box) most likely means a larger main jet, and at least a different slide needle position.  I've not found the UNI filter to make THAT much of a difference on my stock Cb550Fs.  But, it does seem to be running slightly leaner.  Some of that may also be the California democrat mandated 10% ethanol in the gas, which effectively makes the mixture leaner, too.  I can't really tell which has more effect, as I can't buy good gas.  Further, I'm near sea level (200-300 ft), which by nature, puts more oxygen in the mix too, as here we all have a bigger stack of air on top of us than higher elevations do.

Cheers,
SOHC4 #289
1977 CB550K - SOLD
1986 GL1200I - SOLD
2004 BMW R1150R

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2010, 05:03:40 am »
Make sure you go with stock exhaust, then.

BTW, your bike was not jetting properly.  As you said, "it was pretty rich".

Yes I know, where did I say it was jetted "properly"?  I said it ran OK.

The new configuration won't be "stock" as my carbs are 75F, motor is 70 K0, and pipes will be custom.  I will configure the carbs appropriately to the new configuration when I am done.

Even if the carbs were dialed in to the correct mixture, there would still be issues.  Are you suggesting that one should NOT use the stock airbox?  That seems to be your message.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0