Author Topic: FINALLY !! I am finished. Greenjeans' yet to be named '72 CB750 - photo heavy  (Read 9626 times)

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Well, it took alot longer than I thought it would, but I am finally finished with my '72 CB750.

A quick recap:
Bought it about a year and a half ago from a great guy in McKinney Texas that just had too many projects for $450.  It didn't run, but it was all there and everything seemed ok to me.  It had been sitting since the late 80's.   I got it running fairly quickly - with much help from the great guys here, and rode it around all last summer before blowing it apart.

Ended up replacing the normal stuff: points, condensors & plate, new coils & caps, new wheel bearings front & rear, new seat (DSS reproduction) new fork seals & oil, new plugs, new brake shoes front and rear.

Had a vendor that I work with powdercoat the frame, swingarm & rims for FREE !!  Ended up polishing all the aluminum parts that even got near my trusty buffer & splurged for some new stainless spokes.  Rebuilt all the controls and pretty much just cleaned everything that I could.

The biggest expense, by far, was the brand new set of pipes.  Somehow, right before thanksgiving of last year the British pound was taking a beating, so i was able to get the pipes shipped to my door from DSS for just over $600 - that was my x-mas present - might be the best one I've ever received.

I did all the work myself, with a great deal of help from you guys here on this forum.  I can not thank you guys enough for the encouragement, and very timely answers to my never-ending  barage of questions.

Paint is House of Kolor -  apricot flake.  Had to have some bling.

If you want to read more of my ramblings, there is a build thread that had some of my adventures in it here:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45194.0

Anyway, thanks again fellas - as promised here's some photos:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:20:13 am by greenjeans »
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
More photos:

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Even more:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:14:09 am by greenjeans »

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
And finally, a couple movie links to hear the new pipes:

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
Very very nice! Love the paint and the 750 badge - very cool. Front end looks really clean and the black bars work well.

How is the front brake? Enough stopping power? And how does it run! Very clean and nice attention to detail....one question though....no speedo/tach.....are you just going to guess your speed or take it easy on this bike? And I am really curious to know those tires are in corners!! Please tell! I see them a lot in Japan and have been curious...

thanks and well done
cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline alltherightpills

• Expert
Holy crap that looks nice.  I see a BOTM in your future.  Well done.
78 550K
77 550K (in pieces)
71 500K0 (in pieces)

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Well....the brakes leave something to be desired, but I kinda knew that going in.  The tires, handle like crap, but they look cool....Oh the things we sacrifice for looks.  This was made to be a commuter & bar hopper - at least in this incarnation.  I have all the original parts, as well as a dual disc set-up that I'll likely put on there some day.  It runs really great (at least it seems that way - this is my first running CB750)  Starts with 1 push of the starter everytime.
I'm considering a small speedo of a 350 if I can figure out the ratio with those gigantic tires etc....I'll take it easy on this one for a few years or till it needs a motor rebuild and then....who knows

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
It looks fantastic!  So are we going for a little ride this weekend?  My bike is leaking some oil, but I think it will get to Denton OK. 
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
Excellent work done there - that bike shines - love the paint too.

When you coming to Australia? - I'll let you work on mine for free..... ;D

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Great work Greenjeans!  Glad to see it past the rolling frame stage.

Since you have the antique plate, is that how you are getting past inspection without the gauges?  I don't know if that makes a difference.  So how are you gonna get an inspection sticker for it?

I am soooo close to finishing mine (a stopping point to be able to ride it) I can taste it.

If you and CBGhia roll though McKinney, let me know.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
You could always meet us in Denton. 30 min up for me   30 min over for you.  We could meet at the square and go out toward the lake.

And here in Texas you do not need inspection with an antique plate.
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Antique plates = no inspection necessary.  At least in Texas. 
I still need to add a mirror & I just noticed that I forgot to put my fork brace on....

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
Really sweet looking.  I needed to see that badge (tank) on a bike to "get a feel" since I bought a set from you :).  Looks great.  That is a really cool color.  Dang, what a great look. 
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline noisebomb

• Enthusiast
Very nice looking!  Awesome job.
1978 cb750K

luckydevil

Man, that looks GREAT.  If you are ever in the Fort Worth area, bring it by Cycle Gear on Alta Mere so I can check it out first hand.

Offline lowmileage

• Gotterdone
  • Enthusiast
  • At Montauk Point Circa 1975
You've dun good.
1975 750 K5 Original owner -  11K miles.  On the road 8/09 after 26 years in storage.
2004 Harley Superglide - bought new
1973 Honda CL350 - sold in '75 to buy the "750"

Offline luder

• Hot Shot
Very nice job....luder

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
The front brake seems to be seating better and better.  Just finished painting my fork brace, so that could only help.

Offline Caferacernoc

• Enthusiast
My wife's CB750 "chopper" has a CB350 front wheel with the drum brake. We also have a CL350 with the same brake. Obviously it works better on the lighter bike but I think it's ok on the CB750. Especially one that has been lightened a bit. Don't want it for 2 up touring with a fairing and saddlebags, though!
And of course I prefer my disc brake on my CB750 "cafe" for going fast. Better feel, less fade......

Offline Aaron Richard

• Enthusiast
  • 1975 CB550 cafe
    • shop
very nice. I have those bars on my cafe and they are very relaxed but sporty. I love the look of the retro tires but, how to they handed in the corners?

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Tires are great looking but bad handling.  They just don't have a snap to them.  It's almost like there is a tiny delay after steering input.
They wander a bit on the road, but not nearly as much as I thought they would.   For this project, I just wanted something a little different
while I was working on the next project.  I've kept all the original parts, and every now and then when I have a little extra spending money,
I'll start assembling those pieces.   It's fun just top get it back on the road again.  The bars are just about 1.5" lower than the stock bars and
are very, very comfortable.

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
Absolutely gorgeous.

BOTM for sure!!
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline markb

• When I finish my current project I might be a
  • Master
Nice & clean.  I like it!
Mark
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Offline RM81

• Enthusiast
  • 4 out of 3 people have a problem with fractions
That looks great.

Offline nippon

• Hot Shot
    • Classic Cycle City
Yes, I aggree,....great job.
Especially, I like your front end,....so clean.

nippon