Author Topic: I've been K0'd! #4 was parted out, now getting parted in.  (Read 116520 times)

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
I've been K0'd! #4 was parted out, now getting parted in.
« on: September 30, 2009, 01:08:27 pm »
  This will start the build thread of my K0. The plan is to do a day 2 restoration. Some parts will be simulated K0. I would like it to look original but a full on resto is too costly and the original engine is long lost. When I first posted it someone said, welcome to our personal hell. I now understand.
  Now for pictures. This is how it was purchased.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 10:48:32 am by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: I've been K0'd
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 01:18:57 pm »
I removed the parts I didn't want, swapped the 812 with stuck valves and stripped cam holder bolts for a (reportedly) 836 that was in a bike my brother gave me. Re-built the K0 carbs and got new tires.   [/img]

That engine had moss growing on the rocker cover! Clean inside though. The carbs were removed and the intake stuffed with plastic bags. Edit- contrary to PO's bragging, it was stone stock bore and all else. .

Edit, that 812 had the pistons in backwards and the muffler was plugged by the PO wrapping fiberglass over the end of the baffle.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:21:19 pm by Don R »

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:25:06 pm »
This is a quick setup for riding this season. I need to do some frame repair, painting and finishing but first wanted to ride it and see if it handles OK. Scary fast. It's been a while since I rode a fast bike. I need frame neck bearings soon, it binds and makes for an unpleasant cornering experience.

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 03:15:42 pm »
This is the 70 as bought. wrecked speedometer and incorrect tach

I found this H4 headlight in some parts my brother bought. It is marked 1970 Stanley so I traded my Bosch H4 for it.

Engine donor bike note moss on rocker cover

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:47:57 pm »
Nice beginning, I really like those rims! This should be fun to watch good luck!!

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 04:27:33 pm »
I was K0'd once too... LOL I sold almost all of it back to Japan and built stuff I don't have to care about as much. I love to see some of this stuff on Cafe hot rods. Heck it makes all the nice ones even more valuable so the VJMC guys should be cheering!
Good luck with the build. The lesters are great (though I am a sucker for vintage mags) keep posting!
13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 05:21:20 pm »
 Thanks, the pictures really came out nicer than the bike in person. I will be putting a frame tube repair kit on it [from I bikes] and replacing a lower left side frame tube from the side stand to the top. It would be easier to just use the K3 frame sitting here in the garage but I am stubborn. Bidding on a tach on the bay now, I just can't make myself pay the big bucks for a really nice one.

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 06:22:37 pm »
I still have some K0 bits but no tach. I feel your pain. I love using neat bits on cafe bikes but the purists are always more willing to spend than I am. I want to use it not just look at it!

good luck.
13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 08:36:22 pm »
I like the new personality you gave it!
The old one looked confused, to my jaded eye.  ::)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 11:59:51 am »
i dig those wheels, great looking project
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 12:58:45 pm »
Thanks guys, The old girl had tapered bearings in it. that was a surprise, as bad as it turned. I took some pictures of how I did a couple things may be of help to someone else. The remainder of the headlight ear parts are ordered so this winter looks like some fun in the shop. Pictures to follow. Lovin riding it, my brother [K4 750] and I went for hot wings and drinks last night and we got stoped by a 750 fan, he had to know all about them. I also got the eyeball from 3 Illinois state police on bikes. Fun!

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 05:56:22 pm »

This is today in Ophiem Illinois. Note the K2 fork ears and headlight bucket. Courtesy of the fine folks here. Not the picture I wanted but it keeps pasting this one so Oh well.
  I found an original 70 swing arm, chain guard and center stand. The chrome parts will be used elsewhere. The old king and queen seat will turn into a cafe style. I can switch seats in a minute. I'm also considering handle bars with weather pack connectors at the control wiring so the bars could be switched complete from cafe style to stock.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:08:00 pm by Don R »

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 06:09:23 pm »
That seat had to go, but love them Lesters, did the K0 have a solid rear sprocket?
Just my idle curiosity as I know jack all about the CB750's. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 07:14:40 pm »
No, thats an aluminum polished disc over the sprocket. Just another custom part that will be transferred to the next project. Someone spent a lot of money customizing this one so I can uncustomize it. The swing arm has a slight looseness at the bushings so that's next. with the lowering blocks that were on it there was a wobble at about 65mph and up. Just removing them helped cure it.
 What's your opinion on the fork ears and headlight? paint to match like original or leave the ears chrome and the headlight black? the paint will be candy blue-green.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:02:19 pm by Don R »

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 12:12:16 pm »
I like the look of the chrome ears but you will seriously have to make the light bucket same colour as tank and side covers, anything else would be a sin! ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 09:07:25 pm »
This is the frame repair kit I got from I bikes it is only tacked in place. It will be finish welded this winter when the bike is apart. The tubes and braces were completely gone and the new center was cut from a wrecked 75f.
the before pic
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:16:28 pm by Don R »

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 09:22:12 pm »
I added  this red light so I will know when the key is on. Just until I get my proper gauges with the built in lights.

It is almost like the lights on the domestic japanese models, they were hooked to a speed sensor I believe, note the hammer marks on the fork nuts, more PO handy work. Also the needle on the speedo. The first time I started the engine to ride the needle jumped off the peg. An easy repair. I didn't put the little stainless band back on yet, the chrome cover holds it together.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:27:14 pm by Don R »

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 03:57:34 pm »
The speedometer didn't work so I pinned the drive to the Lester wheel, as shown on a thread here for dual discs. It still didn't work so I checked the cable and it was broken. I tried a newer cable and it broke too. The speedometer is locked up tight. I installed a better speedo and tach I got from E-bay and wired the idiot lights in the headlight bucket. The end was twisted off the cable at the bottom so I soldered it back in and it is working OK now. It sure is nice to have the oil and neutral lights working. Now I need to find a use for the red light in the steering neck nut. Maybe headlight on?

There are extra wires in the bucket, A black hot wire, a brown that is hot with the key up, for a front park light on european bikes, yellow and yellow/white they make a circuit through the headlight switch which is used on other bikes this switch fits also. It is on with either low of high beams, it could be used  for an emergency headlight circuit.

Now everything on the bike works as intended. the headlight switch is a little finiky but works if you know how to fiddle with it. Now to make it pretty.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 07:17:52 am »
It sure looked a mess at first, I'd be proud to ride it now Don,  8) 8) 8)  well done.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Scotty J

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 08:00:24 am »

Wow!  135 at 0 RPMs!  Slow down there, cowboy.  Did you regear that thing, or what?
1972 Honda CB750 Four
2010 BMW R1200 GSA

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 08:39:32 am »
No, these bike are just fast standing still. :D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 09:26:06 am »
Thanks for the kind words, guys, Sam, I've been watching your automatic project with interest. Being a car drag racer, I've watched the matic's.  When we ran jr dragsters we won a lot being the slower car. I worked with a guy that raced a kawi 1000 drag bike, when it broke, he raced his 400 matic, he won so much his buddies wouldn't talk to him and when the crowd booed him his family wouldn't go along any more. If only I could be that successful!
 Scotty, is that located near Texarcanada?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:28:43 am by Don R »

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 09:33:57 am »
Note in the before frame picture, the shop that cleaned the carbs numbered them right to left. I failed to notice this and returned them to the slides in firing order. Does not work. Made me crazy for a while. The notches were facing the engine, now I know better.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 09:42:00 am »
Thanks for the kind words, guys, Sam, I've been watching your automatic project with interest. Being a car drag racer, I've watched the matic's.  When we ran jr dragsters we won a lot being the slower car. I worked with a guy that raced a kawi 1000 drag bike, when it broke, he raced his 400 matic, he won so much his buddies wouldn't talk to him and when the crowd booed him his family wouldn't go along any more. If only I could be that successful!

Now that's funny I don't care who you are!   ;D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 09:53:56 am »

Don, the person you are talking about might be a member on here but hasn't posted yet allthough there were one or two in the same boat.
They dropped the dial in to exclude him but he managed to go faster just enough.
In the end they banned Hondamatics, I've read and heard all about it and seen it in black and white. :D :D :D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92