Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3151310 times)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #8850 on: January 06, 2012, 07:31:00 am »
Note the cool bolt in the stator cover,WTH is that about ??   

There is only one way to find out, and you may not like the result when you remove the cover  ::) ::). ..Larry
  I will take a peek in there soon as I am curious. Must have been a way he plugged a hole or something. At least he did it "Right',I see some plumbers tape.   ;D  ;D  :o
There are 4 screws that hold the stator in. Each has a place enlarged in the cover, to thread into. You can see them eqally spaced around the cover from the outside. That one may have been damaged internally, and he had to drill it through to the outside, and replace it with a bolt and nut.  Clever.

Probably was removing the stator, from the inside, couldn't get that screw to come loose, drilled it out and damaged the threads in the hole. Or used too long of a screw to reinstall the stator and it poked through.  Something like that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:33:12 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #8851 on: January 06, 2012, 08:42:59 am »
Good insight there MC,thanks. Luckily have never had to delve deep into those stator covers much over the years.Seems to still work but will check out what you have pointed out.     Eric

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #8852 on: January 06, 2012, 08:52:52 am »
Good insight there MC,thanks. Luckily have never had to delve deep into those stator covers much over the years.Seems to still work but will check out what you have pointed out.     Eric
Nothin a new/used cover won't fix. But if it still works...  :D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #8853 on: January 06, 2012, 05:48:38 pm »
Nice pics Eric, I love that Dyna III ignition, what I wouldn't give to find a NOS one hiding in a box somewhere......... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline steam-powered man

• Not the eggman, Not the walrus, I am the
  • Hot Shot
  • Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso
« Reply #8854 on: January 06, 2012, 07:10:28 pm »
assembled the top end.  think i'll contact the PO for some history, last on the road in 2000 but cam and rockers look new.  also, no serial numbers on the cases mean they were replaced at some point.

next up will be grinding the flanges off the mounting lugs to make the install easier, sanding/spraying the frame while the weathers still good (38 degrees in jan - wtf?).  then make the engine look a lot better and stick 'er back in.             
searching for a dr350se

Offline Tree

• Enthusiast
  • CB750K5
« Reply #8855 on: January 06, 2012, 07:27:33 pm »
picked up a '78 750F to work on.  Engine turns and it's all there but doesn't run yet.  Something to work on this winter :)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #8856 on: January 06, 2012, 09:44:29 pm »
Nice pics Eric, I love that Dyna III ignition, what I wouldn't give to find a NOS one hiding in a box somewhere......... ;D
Hey Terry. Any idea as to how old that thing is ? Not really up on that stuff.Way back when shortly after I joined you identified an old Prestolite I think its called I got with a big bore engine,said you used to see them around for about a dollar back in the day,maybe dealt a few---Got to get off these points someday and join the real World.

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #8857 on: January 06, 2012, 10:20:26 pm »
Got my MC rebuild kit in the mail today. Gonna have a go at replacing the caliper and rebuilding the MC tomorrow morning. Didn't want to have to work on brake parts twice, so I waited on the caliper.

[Edit] Once I get the front end back on, I'll be putting my brand new oring chain that I got super cheap on.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:43:09 pm by Dimitri13 »

Offline RustyStuff

• If it aint broke, Fix it till it Is.
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8858 on: January 06, 2012, 10:40:35 pm »
I finished rebuilding the mastercyl. going to finish the brakes. Also bought a new 530H chain.

Also got it to almost idle without the choke on. Pilot jets are Still too pluged to work, got to pull the bowls tomorow and run some guitar string though them again. sounds sweet though.
'80 CB650

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8859 on: January 06, 2012, 11:56:18 pm »
Hey Terry. Any idea as to how old that thing is ? Not really up on that stuff.Way back when shortly after I joined you identified an old Prestolite I think its called I got with a big bore engine,said you used to see them around for about a dollar back in the day,maybe dealt a few---Got to get off these points someday and join the real World.

G'Day Eric, Dyna made the Dyna 3 from the late 1970's until only a couple of years ago, but discontinued it because the Dyna "S" was cheaper, and outsold the "3" exponentially. The "3" was an excellent ignition though, I bought a NOS "3" and a set of 3 OHM coils from a member here back in the greenspun days, and fitted it to my old F2, and the difference between it and my new OEM points and coils was night and day.

It seemed that I only had to wave my thumb over the starter button and the thing would start, needed much less choke, and ran beautifully, with a lovely fat blue spark. I think that some "3's" had problems with the black boxes failing after many years use, (I've got one here that Hondaman sent me, it was on his bike for many years and many miles before it failed) but basically, if your bike is running well now, then just use it. To see the difference, just compare the spark from that bike and one of your bikes fitted with points, and I think you'll be impressed. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8860 on: January 07, 2012, 12:08:46 am »
I just got home from the 200 mile return ride from my folks place, my dad turned 85 yesterday, so I rode down a couple of days ago and spent some time with my folks.

It's Christmas Holiday season here, so I took the back roads where possible for the first 100 miles, then weaved around mobile chicanes (cars and 4x4's towing boats and caravans, with dirtbikes, bicycles and other extraneous #$%* hanging off them) for the last 100, it was actually quieter on suburban streets than it was on the freeways.

Anyway, apart from errant cage jockeys, I had a great ride, stopping a couple of time for coffee and a cigarette, and the obligatory pic. Cheers, Terry. ;D

maduncle

« Reply #8861 on: January 07, 2012, 12:27:09 am »
Hey Terry - which pub is that?

I also went for a ride today, albeit a short trip into the city and back to visit a store called 'mid life cycles'.

http://www.midlifecycles.com.au/

Met one of the Michaels and had a good yak about bikes, clubs and club registration. I think I will put club registration on the Runcible.

The ride down and back on the CB750 was 'interesting'.

Usual story - coughing and blatting and miss firing due to bad carbs, but each time I  pulled up the idle revs were too high, so I would wind it back a bit. This happened three or four times. Each time the bike was idling between 3 and 4 thousand, so I would wind it back to 2 1/2.

After I went to take off on the third wind back I found out I had gone way too far on the wind back - absolutely no take off power! So in the end I had to reset the idle at 4 thousand (!!!) and now the bike has never run better!

I get full throttle response. all four carbs firing well and good power and torque.  I just sit at the lights with a screaming engine as a result!

Why is this so?

I have ordered four full carb rebuild kits from Sirius, and I plan to strip, rebuild and install my spare rack of stock CB750F carbs.

Do I have a carb with a blockage in the set I have on the bike right now?

Why does a high idle setting make my bike go better?

When will I be able to ride my CB750 with confidence in the carbs?

:-[

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 12:29:32 am by maduncle »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8862 on: January 07, 2012, 12:32:31 am »

1. Hey Terry - which pub is that?

2. When will I be able to ride my CB750 with confidence in the carbs?

1. That's the "Cricket Club Hotel" in Heyfield, in Gippsland Cliff. 

2. Don't hold your breath.................. ;D

maduncle

« Reply #8863 on: January 07, 2012, 12:38:43 am »

1. Hey Terry - which pub is that?

2. When will I be able to ride my CB750 with confidence in the carbs?

1. That's the "Cricket Club Hotel" in Heyfield, in Gippsland Cliff. 

2. Don't hold your breath.................. ;D

Ha!

So there is no point even thinking about riding to 1. until I resolve 2.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8864 on: January 07, 2012, 12:49:25 am »
Yep, I wouldn't ride it at all, it looks like your engine is running lean up to 4K (which it appears to be doing, until a combination of your idle circuit and your main jet/needle starts to feed enough fuel into your bike) your engine is slowly melting internally, and eventually it'll go bang.

It does explain why your mechanic screwed the air screws all the way out until fuel dripped on your cases though, I set them up as per the factory manual, but it's still jetted too lean,and there might be some air leaks thru your old rubber manifold adapters as well. Cheers, Terry. ;D

maduncle

« Reply #8865 on: January 07, 2012, 01:17:39 am »

Okay, no more riding until the carb issue is fixed then.

Time to strip and rebuild the other set of four stock carbs as the back up plan in case the POSA/Lectron experiment fails.

Chris_SZ

« Reply #8866 on: January 07, 2012, 10:22:30 am »
Installed a new battery and gave the old Lady a quick ride to the shop for some beer  8)
After returning, disassembled shift lever and left side cover in search for that oil leak that is irritating since I got her. After reading through the relevant posts I assume its one of the three O-rings behind the Oil pump.
I'll try and get some that fit, else I have to order those original parts from the Honda dealer.

Left to the green arrow is the slightly darker spot where the vent in the cover is. Below the bright spot is the oil pan seal, which I had in focus first, but the oil starts already above that.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #8867 on: January 07, 2012, 11:35:37 am »
Best bet is to wrap the threads of the pressure switch with teflon tape to stop the leak from up there.

I'm not sure if you can find anything better than I did, but I visited the 3 big home improvement stores around here and found some o-rings I thought would fit, but I'm still leaking. Ended up paying the dealer $11 for the 3 pump seals.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #8868 on: January 07, 2012, 02:17:49 pm »
Best bet is to wrap the threads of the pressure switch with teflon tape to stop the leak from up there.

I'm not sure if you can find anything better than I did, but I visited the 3 big home improvement stores around here and found some o-rings I thought would fit, but I'm still leaking. Ended up paying the dealer $11 for the 3 pump seals.

+1 Dimitri, certainly looks like its leaking there.  That's an easy, cheap fix, I'd try that 1st before pulling the pump.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Chris_SZ

« Reply #8869 on: January 07, 2012, 02:41:20 pm »
Ok, got the message: Honda spare parts. Next week, promised.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #8870 on: January 07, 2012, 03:16:50 pm »
I rode the K5 to Home Depot to find an 8mm bolt I could use to secure the ill-fitting reproduction muffler on the XL250s.
Invented some new curse words while securing the new muffler. >:(
It was a nice day, I should have just kept riding!
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #8871 on: January 07, 2012, 04:51:46 pm »
Rode it ! on a perfectly gloomy, grey, low slung sky kinda winters day.... roads were empty, didn't see one other bike, rained for 20 mins. too.... but still a great ride... got 'in the groove' good for the last 30 miles ( know what I mean, the groove, about 15- 20 above the posted limit  ;) ) Did 76 miles on country roads, bike needs a wash  :o
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #8872 on: January 08, 2012, 09:10:45 am »
...bought a rear break switch for my K1.
Honda CB750 K0 & K0 & K1 & K1 & K2 & K2 & K6

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #8873 on: January 08, 2012, 01:37:08 pm »
I started her once and with a bit of choke she idled nicely even through the gate operation - neutral, kick stand, open the gate, move out, neutral kick stand, close the gate, ride - she usually does not like the kick stand when cold but today she purred like happy kitten. Took her for 20 miles fast run, I could get used to winter like this.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:38:48 pm by 70CB750 »

Offline steam-powered man

• Not the eggman, Not the walrus, I am the
  • Hot Shot
  • Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso
« Reply #8874 on: January 08, 2012, 05:20:05 pm »
working on installing my new sissy bar, slight interference w/spring "shroud".  will remove 'em 

disassembled the rear shocks.  checked damping (is very nice, how can that be?), used fine steel wool on the springs, caps, adj rings, etc and reassembled w/out the shroud.  reinstalled the shocks, sissy bar and blinks.

the "lump" is out, has new pucks and awaits valve adjustment.  to be followed w/cleaning/polishing. 
searching for a dr350se