Author Topic: Interest in a custom made 4-4 exhaust for the CB750K?  (Read 26229 times)

Aerobhoy

Re: Interest in a custom made exhaust for the CB750K?
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 03:41:27 pm »
I'd be interested 4 into 2  or 4 into 4 prefered, i own a 76 cb750 cafe project.
jimmy o

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
  • There aint no pickle like a super pickle...
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 10:09:28 am »
Yeah i'm strictly having the stock system duplicated exactly but in larger diamater tubing with a different baffle system...that's all this is. So pretty much a performance version of the stock exhaust that will fit without modification.

So it will be a 4-4 with no crossover pipes or anything...Probably in stainless if cost can still stay under or around 600?! Not sure what price point i'm shooting for...half of a new stock system is kind of what I had in mind. Mild steel is possible but it'll be ceramic coated for sure...or up to the end user to have coated however they want. Can't really say any of that stuff for certain until I hear back for what our options are.

1976 CB750K - Cafe Project...taking forever
1984 Honda MB-5 - MB-8 conversion in process
2001 Ducati 748 - Built 996 motor sleeper

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 12:31:18 pm »
Yeah i'm strictly having the stock system duplicated exactly but in larger diamater tubing with a different baffle system...that's all this is. So pretty much a performance version of the stock exhaust that will fit without modification.

So it will be a 4-4 with no crossover pipes or anything...Probably in stainless if cost can still stay under or around 600?! Not sure what price point i'm shooting for...half of a new stock system is kind of what I had in mind. Mild steel is possible but it'll be ceramic coated for sure...or up to the end user to have coated however they want. Can't really say any of that stuff for certain until I hear back for what our options are.

That is what i am talking about. If it is affordable I have relatives up that way and two hours up the Taconic is no big deal to me.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 06:58:34 pm »
man...  i wish i had waited for this instead of springing on carpy's 4-1!!  not discounting his work, but i really want a 4-4!!

colin, wanna use my 4-1 as a down payment/trade in for one of yours??   ;D ;D
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 09:39:10 pm »
man...  i wish i had waited for this instead of springing on carpy's 4-1!!  not discounting his work, but i really want a 4-4!!

colin, wanna use my 4-1 as a down payment/trade in for one of yours??   ;D ;D

Haha, perhaps...i do want to try out Carpy's 4-1...I have a kerker 4-1 and a MAC 4-1 i'll trade ya for the carpy 4-1 lol

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 11:23:38 pm »
i'd be willing to use project fuzzycycle as a test mule? (hint hint) just kidding, i DO eventually want to get a 4 into 4 for fuzzycycle as soon as things get better around here financially.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 08:32:45 am »
Ok so here's the deal, he's not gonna make a test system for me until after x-mas...understandably. I have to get my bike in rolling chassis to really make sure everything fits anyways. What we are on the fence about is using a MAC/Kerker style system to hold the pipes on (to the head), or the stock style. Either way it's gonna be 1.75" tubing since he already has the dies(sp?) for that. 4-4 each pipe individual, no crossover, and will follow the flow of the stock pipes...baffle system is still undecided. If I can source some good baffles for under 100 bucks for a set of four the whole system could be under 600 easily. It would be mild steel though...and coating would be buyers responsibility...Or we could do it even cheaper if people want to do their own muffler options...that way it would just be a header system that would require slip on or weld on mufflers. He's throwing some more ideas around, but again we won't have anything certain until he gets the time, and I get my bike to him. Which should be the first week in January.

Just figured i'd give everyone an update.

Again, pricing is strictly ballpark still until we get things set. I'm really trying for it to be in stainless in that same price range...and finding a good baffle system is eluding me? Anyone have any ideas?

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 02:45:41 pm »
well you could try to make it out of aluminized steel, like most car systems.  it's not stainless, but it's still a better alternative to mild steel...  but i'd LOVE to have stainless!!  and as long as i could get a decent price for my carpy, i'd totally buy one of your systems down the road!!  any updates?

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 02:28:57 am »
depending on when the system is ready.........if i do have the money when theyre ready to go i WILL buy one. hell 600 is less than i paid for my kerker.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 06:57:32 am »
He has my stock system pipes, and is going to start messing around with it monday. First system he's gonna make will be an exact duplicate of each stock pipe in larger diameter, by the time he finishes that my bike should be to the point where we can at least test fit stuff...

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2010, 07:12:52 pm »
I bought headers, stainless steel, 2 1/2" to 2 1/4" step tube, with merge collectors and polished for $1,100 for my 567" big block chevy dragster. It should be possible to get these built reasonably, keep after it.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2010, 08:35:42 pm »
I bought headers, stainless steel, 2 1/2" to 2 1/4" step tube, with merge collectors and polished for $1,100 for my 567" big block chevy dragster. It should be possible to get these built reasonably, keep after it.

damn, that's a helluva deal!  any pics of the exhaust and the dragster??   ;D  i'm looking to get into bracket racing after my training is over with my new job, a friend of mine owns a car and has no driver, so he asked if i was interested, woo!!!

Offline HB-1fan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2010, 10:00:29 pm »
Hey Ricky Racer, whats the latest on your contribution to this exhaust thread. Seeing as how you had to tease everyone with the pics and sound!!
 By the way what model is that tank on the red bike.

HB
"If you always expect the worst, you can never be dissappointed, only surprised"

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 01:42:03 am »

HB1, the exhaust prototype is currently with Nippon in Germany, on it's way to Switzerland so that additional copies can be produced. Hopefully they'll be available sooner rather than later...

The tank on the red bike is the Read-Titan tank we produce along with two (soon, three) Read-Titan seat designs.  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline bikerbart

• Master
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 05:01:28 pm »
4-4 head pipes would be great as there are a lot of bolt on muffler options out there.I am still on the fence about a new exhaust system,I want the carpy yosh replica,but I noticed he will be making a 4-2 system soon,BCR's 4-4 system is absolutely gorgeous but I cant afford $1200.I vote for 4-4 head pies with nice upswept ends.There is a local custom shop called super rat that I will see if they can do me a set.Short reverse megaphone mufflers would be cool.
its better to regret something you have done,than something you havent.Except playing with explosives.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 07:16:19 pm »
Bart,

I'll sell you my carpy 4-1 if I end up getting one of these 4-4 systems.  It's never been mounted so I'd just need to box it up for ya.  You can have dibs if this system suits my wants and sounds like I want it!

I too would LOVE a benji 4-4, but who cab afford that really?  It does sound tits though, so does carpys!!  Well lemme know, I can't wait to hear some updates from Colin...

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 09:21:23 pm »
still waiting with bated breath 

NO i havent been into the night crawlers  :D

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2010, 06:55:26 am »
Still waiting...he found a 75 cb750k on craigslist that was missing a tank and in SUPER rough shape for 50 bucks that him and I went halves on to use as a mockup bike lol.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 07:22:04 pm »
so colin,

what's the deal with the exhaust?  any good mocking up done?  i can't wait to see it, and HEAR it!!

do you have any clue what it'll sound like?  maybe a benjie?  superbuild?  swarbrick?

those all sound pretty damn good!  i certainly know that i want a RACE sound!  not something that's deafening throughout RPM's like an uncorked MAC or Kerker, but something that just opens up and GROWLS when you open 'er up!!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 11:45:11 am »
bump?

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2010, 07:31:23 am »
High time for an update huh? Well he ran into a problem...going with wider diameter tubing makes it difficult to work with the passenger peg setup still...I really would like to keep the passenger pegs. That way people can keep them if they want, but don't have to.

Currently he is trying to get the bends just right so the pipes are nice and snug up against the bike for good ground clearance. I'll see if he can get me some pics of the progress...

No idea what it's going to sound like...at all lol. The baffle system is still on the drawing board.

Going for the kind of sound you are talking about wannabridin, loud and throaty but not to the point where you HAVE to wear earplugs even for short rides.

Offline Deceptibong

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2010, 10:28:40 am »
Id be very intrested for a set on my 750K.  Ive started collecting the NOS 341 pipes but only have 2 at the moment.  Id be willing to sell those to put towards a new set of 4 - 4s.  ill keep checking for updates.
1972 CB750k2

Build / Travel Reports: http://easterntowestern.blogspot.com

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2010, 10:45:54 am »
Yeah i'd like to give a timeframe, or deadline or something...but I want this done right. As much as I want a set for the spring time I really don't know how this is going to work out. I'm hoping it will since we started the process in january...but we'll see.

The goal is a good set of pipes, that is easily reproduced in small batches and at a reasonable cost without compromising quality. The plan is to make at least 6 sets for him to make money to make his time worth it. After that he can make individual sets when people want them for sure. Keep in mind i'm not making ANY money off of this, and he wouldn't be making even remotely close to what he normally charges to build custom exhausts...especially something this involving. This is a favor to me, and he loves the old honda's lol.

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2010, 12:51:17 pm »
Very Cool!....I was going to spring for some Drag Pipes...the Mac TT's...but put those Cycle X baffles in them... although..after reading this thread....4-4's sound cool again ahah!...maybe I'll just paint up my ol' rusta-Mega's (my avatar...they're not original honda equip.) until I can spring for a set of these!!  Can't wait to see how this comes together.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2010, 01:28:30 pm »
well colin, if you don't already have 6 people singed up for the first batch, then put me on the list!  i can prolly sell my carpy 4-1 on here with minimal problems and put it towards one of these exhausts!  so hopefully i can be one of the first to get them  :-D