Author Topic: Visiting the UK - Bike to Borrow, Beg, Rent, or Steal  (Read 12736 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
Visiting the UK - Bike to Borrow, Beg, Rent, or Steal
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:25:04 pm »
My wife and I may want to visit your fair island someday.  I was thinking of a nice tour of the country side, including Scotland, on a bike for about a week.  I've been riding my CB750 K3 since it was new and was wondering if something similar was available in the UK.  Of course to make this interesting, I have a bike or two for a return favor for anyone that wants to visit the midwestern US. I live near the Road America racing circuit. Dennis in Wisconsin
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline dave400

• Hot Shot
  • Super Lamb Banana
Re: Visiting the UK - Bike to Borrow, Beg, Rent, or Steal
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:46:56 am »
You should be able to hire a bike quite easily over here, I only have small cc bikes not really suitable for two up touring.

Cheers

Dave

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 07:52:46 am »
I somewhat regularly read the magazine ads and internet sights for bike rentals and tours.  I have a '67 Triumph T100C and have had other British bikes, but would be more comfortable on a left-foot shifter.  I just don't see anyone offering vintage or newer mid-sized Hondas.  I am not looking for a monster-Wing or the like that needs reverse to move around in a parking lot.  Maybe a Trans-Alp or Africa?  Anyhow, I am not in a hurry.........maybe 2011 for the TT!
Dennis in Wisconsin
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 08:04:38 am »
Dennis if you need a contact in Glasgow Scotland let me know. I have a biker friend there who will be able to help you with a rental. And we can also provide some excellent touring roads in Scotland (just tell me how long you plan to be there). I have been all over Scotland. A must-do is the ride into Glencoe  -truly amazing (in any weather). Of course first you have to cross Rannoch Moor....another must-do  ;D.

If I were you Id get a bike in Glasgow and head up the west coast, passing Loch Lomond and heading on up to Crainlarich. You will pass the 17th Century Drovers Inn on the way complete with roaring fire, plenty of stuffed animals and kilt-wearing barman. A not to be missed landmark. Then continue on up past the Green Welly Shop and onto the open road heading for Bridge of Orchy...and the famous Rannoch Moor...you will see the 17th century Kings House Hotel on your right as you approach the Glen and the majestic Buchaille Etive Mor on your left....continue down into the Glen and see the imposing Three Sisters mountains, the Lost Valey all making for some great photos...all this only 80 miles from Glasgow. After this head for the most westerly point in Scotland - the famed Ardnumurchan point....at the end of the single track road there is a beach...wild, remote, desolate beach with the Atlantic ocean hammering away at it. Next stop Nova Scotia ;). Continue Northwards heading for the might Ben Nevis moutain range and you may catch a passing steam train as it lumbers onto Mallaig....

Interested yet?  ;) ;D

Cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline dave400

• Hot Shot
  • Super Lamb Banana
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:58:08 am »
I somewhat regularly read the magazine ads and internet sights for bike rentals and tours.  I have a '67 Triumph T100C and have had other British bikes, but would be more comfortable on a left-foot shifter.  I just don't see anyone offering vintage or newer mid-sized Hondas.  I am not looking for a monster-Wing or the like that needs reverse to move around in a parking lot.  Maybe a Trans-Alp or Africa?  Anyhow, I am not in a hurry.........maybe 2011 for the TT!

If you get stuck for a bike during your visit and make it for the TT let me know, I have a bike you could use for transport over on the Island and it's just a 10 min ride to the ferry boat. The ferry is quite expensive at TT time, it's just over £200 this year (bike + rider) :o but well worth the money.

Cheers

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 02:16:59 pm »
Andy...........I've been reading and our daughters have visited Scotland by train.  I am aware of a Bike rental with Triumph twins of the 60s.  Besides all that good stuff we are looking for a church where my wife's grandparents were married. We have the marriage certificate. Are you up for another visit?

Dave...........I will keep your post...........just what I am looking for.  Now if I can talk my wife into a few days at the TT.  Mr brother-in-law went to the August races in 08 and got rained on everyday. He was tent camping with a car rental. Had to get medical help at home for the fungus on his feet!  BTW...the Goodpastor's pair of Norton Manx are a real treat to watch at Road America. There is a place on the track where I can stand about 2-feet away from the handlebars as they pass at full speed!
Dennis in Wisconsin
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project