Author Topic: '73 CL350, project "Lola"  (Read 49797 times)

Offline Achmed

• Enthusiast
Re: '73 CL350, project "Lola"
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2010, 04:12:56 pm »
Cool thread, Kit. If it was still running OK when you babied it with choke and such, I would hope that the engine is still OK. I always appreciate the photographs. I am thinking about changing out the stock bars on my 750F and I wonder if it might look OK just zip-tie-ing the wires to the outside of the bars. My modern sports-bike owning friends couldn't believe the wires were inside the bars!

I don't remember, did you get the clutch sorted out?

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2010, 04:15:51 pm »
Yup, she adjusted the clutch cable per Paulages instructions and it works great now.  :)
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)
2006 HD 883 Sportster, stock. No use changing it, it's still gonna be a Harley.

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 08:43:34 pm »
Celebrated spring break by getting out and playing with Lola.

I started with this:

and ended (much, much later) with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVHNtwZaGcY

I know, my camera skills and the fact that I'm taking the video with my camera phone both suck, but I'm still excited. :D  The starter sounds kind of lousy/harsh. I'm not sure what's going on there, but all the buttons/knobs/doodads etc light up and do their thing, so I'm happy.

Hit the tank with The Works too.  All I need is one of those little coupler thingums that Mickey's looking up so I can quick disconnect the hose that passes under the tank, and I'll be able to put everything back together and see if she'll start.

....then I need to see why the front brake seems to be binding, etc etc.... ::)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:49:38 pm by Kit »
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2010, 06:31:21 pm »
I bedlinered the tank yesterday.

OK, now that you're done shuddering... ;D 
The original red tank has a lousy POR15 coat on the inside that's failing in an amazing and admirable way.  Rather than deal with that, I set my sights on the "spare" blue tank the PO intended to clean up and paint instead. 

Having worked with this particular bedliner before- there are a couple of guidelines:

1)Mask, Mask, Mask.  If you get overspray on anything you didn't intend to paint, you will be a sad, sad person.

2) Prep, Prep, Prep.  Sanded, sprayed with prep clean, and made sure it was as clean as it was going to get.

I didn't feel it necessary to do much more than score the heck out of the blue paint because as oxidized as it was it was a nice, rough bonding surface for the bedliner, which sticks like a demon to anything it touches.

In this case I masked off the white stripes with Frog Tape and used a mechanical pencil to outline the edges of the white, then ran an exacto knife over the lines like a stencil to remove the excess tape.  Worked a charm! 

Spraying bedliner is tricky.  This is the duplicolor stuff.  Used it on the tops of my saddlebags (where they get boot scuffed because I have short little legs) and my bicycle's suspension fork (because it'll get beaten against bike racks etc) and it's proven itself pretty durable overall.

Duplicolor bedliner sprays perfectly when you have a full to 1/4 full can.  That last 1/4, though, will NOT spray right or reliably, unfortunately- it tends to shoot too much paint with too little gas, with a result like big foamy bubbles of goop.  This happened to my airbox covers (not shown) and looked a little less like cowhide leather and more like ostrich skin.  I managed to fix it for the most part, but if I ever "show" this bike, I will be covering those covers. (the inner black ones with the brass bullet, not the outer "vented" ones with the badge)

After spraying the suggested 2-3 coats, you'll want to let it dry to the touch, and then trace all your masking again with that exacto knife.  Why?  While the bedliner is still somewhat pliable, it will want to adhere more to itself than to the painted item and you can actually pull it up as you unmask your piece.  Not acceptable.  If you leave it for too long, though, this adhesive property will make your masking one with your piece forever. Also unacceptable.  I found the process pretty similar to skinning out a deer or something.... lots of tracing, then work a little bit at a time.

Here's the finished result:

The rock chips in the white will be cleaned up and filled when I can find the time and a suitable white touchup paint...

I was looking at the HONDA badges and thought "Well those were sunfaded as all hell, weren't they?" so I went over those, too.  Brush and paint this time, though...

Hoy! Much better!

Didn't get much of anything done today, though... oh well. :D

"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2010, 11:38:40 pm »
Today was a special day.  My spring break vacation is being spent working on Lola with MickeyX.  I usually get stuck doing all my garage work alone, so this is a really nice change.
Went out to the garage and connected all the fuel line, the under-tank crossover, etc etc.  Figured the front brake wasn't working and set about fixing that.

What a PITA.
Everything went right, it was just a greasy mess.  We had fun, though.

The fun pretty much ended, though, when the clutch cable that I thought I had hooked up came loose again, meaning I need to take off the left cover again, meaning I really ought to truly fix the stupid threads that don't want to helicoil right, instead of letting the half-helicoil "sorta" work.

Assuming that works alright, though, the battery is on the charger, new exhaust gaskets are crammed into the head and awaiting the exhaust- which waits until the clutch is done again.

I'm remaining optimistic. :) I'll get a picture or two tomorrow. 
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2010, 11:52:58 pm »
That tank and those M bars look hot on there.  ;D
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2010, 06:21:03 am »
Great job on the tank!

-Steve
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2010, 12:38:58 pm »
I think we will pull it out of the garage a bit today since the rain has stopped and take a pic or 2 on where it is in the process. It's still pretty dirty but that will be changing as soon as it gets started up. It need tires before it can hit the road too. That is the last big expenditure as far as I can tell.

Time to throw some lunch down Kit's throat and get to work.  ;D

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2010, 01:44:13 am »
Today was another big day.  :) 
The clutch was readjusted with no problems.  That let us start on the exhaust.
They started out looking like this:

...I am now being told that we didn't get 'after' pictures.  I'm kicking myself, here, I really am.  :P  Wellllll after a few hours of WD-40 and brush work, some über fine steel wool and ospho, they came out looking pretty much like new.  The rust spots were down to small black freckles which are unnoticeable unless you get up real close.

here I am dinking with the foot pegs and giving MickeyX a look while she's pointing the camera at me. :D

then a lot of time passed. The sun went down.  It got cold and dark.  We cranked the radio, drank some caffeine, shut up and danced. :D  Grips went on, brake line got rerouted, replaced the bent up shift lever with a 'new' old one that cleaned up real well.

I took a file to the edges of the fins, flattening them a little so the light really catches them. (had to do something while waiting for the ospho to do its thing)  changed the spark plugs over (still need to put some antisieze and dielectric grease on them ,but figured I'd be monkeying with them on and off until the bike is really finished anyway, so no worries.

Got 'er all done 'cept for the gas in the tank.  We figured at 11:30ish, it would be kind of late to try to deal with leaky carbs.  We put that off 'til tomorrow.
Here are some pics of our self-congratulations. 8)

Polishing the switch pods before I take the protective baggies off the new turn signals...

...why yes, I AM stoked about those pipes...;D

Gratuitous M-bar shot:

Sittin' on it an' goin "Vroom!"

1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2010, 02:30:47 am »
Going great girls, I just spent a good half hour reading your whole project thread (while trying to catch 007 with my other eye) you have certainly moved this along nicely.
So right now you have 2x CB650's 2x CL350's and a Harley in the shed!
You're catching up to my cluttered garage. :D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline coldright

• That's Ms.
  • Expert
  • to you
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2010, 10:35:21 am »
Kit, it looks fantastic, you guys have done a great job!  You should change your avatar to that last pic, I like the red eyes... you look mighty devilish!

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2010, 11:18:28 am »
looks great! let me know what kind of quick connect fittings you find. i have a brochure somewhere for a company that oil filter service used to carry, that make quick connect fittings for automotive fluid lines. i talked to the owner of the company at one point about getting QC fittings for my fuel lines, as well as one for the crossover on one of these bikes, and he was enthusiastic about the application, as they usually only see stuff for race car engines. i'll see if i can find that brochure somewhere.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2010, 11:22:34 am »
I used the dual shutoff crossover from Motionpro.  $28 from motorcyclesuperstore.  the spacing is kind of a pain because you have maybe an inch on either side of hosing before you reach the little spouts on either side of the tank... Still doable though, if you go straight across. 

I will warn though not to put any kind of pressure on these fittings. The plastic snaps way too easily.  :(
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2010, 10:35:58 pm »

She runs!

...so we washed her!

...and she still ran!

:wootrock:

This was also my first time kicking a bike over... Many thanks go to MickeyX for not videotaping my confusion at how to operate the kickstarter.::)

...and yes, I CAN stand on the kicker lever. I need me a damn cheeseburger. :P
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2010, 01:45:41 am »
That bike has got great street-cred Kit, the peaked headlight is a neat touch.
As I remember double leading shoe brakes...apply them a week before you need them, def not in the same category as our disc ones. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2010, 10:17:58 am »
Hoping to see the new tires and the cafe seat soon. Then, it gets registered and insured so she can take it on the street. It needs a tuning yet but it's pretty close now.

Then, off to see what we can do about mine. That one needs more love, definitely.  ::) It looks like someone took a chainsaw to the wiring.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2010, 12:01:16 pm »
Lookin' sweet, Kit. Well done.

Now I've got to get my own lazy a$$ in gear and start painting.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2010, 12:41:41 pm »
UPS guy just brought the tires.  8) Avon Roadriders. Sweeeeet.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2010, 02:16:02 pm »
You guys got a money tree or did you find someone else's Visa card? ;D

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2010, 05:47:41 pm »
Actually the paint was bedliner, so $5/can, carb kits were $15 each, the air filters, seat and tires cost the most... but I had some money left over in my savings after this round of tuition payments and decided this was a good investment.  I'll be turning around and selling a lot of my "spare" parts to recoup the losses.
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2010, 07:10:46 pm »
We took it over to a local small shop and had them change the tires for us, new tubes, rim strips, balance, greased the rear wheel, checked and set the brakes front and back... they also took some time to set the valves, check/adjust the points and make some carb adjustments too. All for about $130. ;D It turns out, the owner of the shop had this exact model and year in high school as his 1st bike and was tickled that Kit was bringing one back to the road. He ended up doing the tuning part himself when his "boys" couldn't quite figure it out. It took him about 10 min total once he got hold of it.  8)

And what did we do while they were hard at work? We played some video games at the arcade, went to the Army/Navy store and went to the movies and saw Alice in Wonderland with some free tickets.  ;D

Next is doing the fork oil, changing the engine oil and putting on the cafe seat when it arrives. Kit needs to get over to the DMV to license the bike now that it can handle the road with new tires. I'm not sure if that is it or if Kit will come up with more. Then, we get to play with my CL350.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:14:03 pm by MickeyX »

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2010, 02:57:26 am »
About time Mickey got a bike on the road, Samson ended up as parts! :D

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2010, 03:11:37 am »
Just read through the thread and I gotta say pretty bad a. s. s...  Gotta love these old honda's show them a little attn and they come right back to life.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2010, 08:14:33 am »
Indeed. :)

Just working the bugs out right now. I need to get it licensed and registered, and check out the popping thing it's doing right now.

little pops/smoke out left cylinder exhaust pipe.  It fires, and both pipes get hot, but it's not always there.  

I'll take it for a run up/down the street and around 5k or when I give it some throttle, it'll pop a bit like that but I do go a bit faster, then with some more throttle I get these real kick in the ass, sit-you-back surges, then it cuts out like steppin on the brake, then another surge.  It does that 'til I've convinced myself I could put myself over the handlebars doing that crap. :D

Per Paul I'm going to check the carb because I get some drippage from the overflow on Lefty as well.

I'd check the gasket from lefty to the muffler, but this model has it being all one piece from header to muffler- it's all welded together.

It's also very possible probable I haven't synced the carbs right.

just small bugs...
then I want to put a Hondaman ignition on.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:17:06 am by Kit »
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2010, 09:41:34 am »

then I want to put a Hondaman ignition on.

yup, I knew there was gonna be something else.