Author Topic: 1978 CB750F - Metric Mayhem"  (Read 59818 times)

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
1978 CB750F - Metric Mayhem"
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:01:15 pm »
This is my first bike rebuild. Originally I wanted to buy an old truck, rebuild it, and buy a Ducati motorcycle. Instead I ended up buying a new truck, and an old bike to rebuild.

Picked up this bike out in Ft. Worth for $600. It wasn't running, and the carbs weren't even on it. The electrical system was chewed to bits too. Here are pics of the process so far.

Stuff to be cleaned/ trashed

Naked.

Removing the ugly center stand brackets. I might miss it, but I'd rather shed the extra weight.

Bobbed the rear Fender, so that it lines up flush with the frame. I also filled the holes and painted it black.

Frame is "Real Red" VHT enamel paint.

Comstar rims are now black. These may get re-done though...

Starting to look back to normal. The tank is only primed in the picture. This is my old workshop. aka a tiny ass shed... A horrible place to build a bike, but it worked. I've seen some of the other shops in these threads and I'm super jealous. I just moved into an apt and I have a garage now. It's 100 times better.

The swing arm bolt was shortened, because the new rearsets I have don't bolt onto it. They go around it, and it stuck out a few inches.

Check out the custom seat. I had a friend who used to do upholstery make it for me.

The bike in my friends shop. He's going to be sorting out the engine and electrical for me. He's also fixing all the mistakes I made haha. Like repainting the tank.

Here's the engine. It's getting at least one new piston, and the cylinders are being honed at my dad's machine shop.

More engine stuff photos. You can see the piston there on the far left that is pitted pretty badly. That is the one getting replaced for sure.

This is the end of the process as of now. I will post more as more progress is made.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:53:53 am by scroggins5000 »

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
Re: 78 CB750F (Super Sport FTW)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:41:49 pm »
The following is waiting to be completed:

-The engine rebuild: Cylinders need to be honed. Replace one of the pistons. The ignition system is now electric and much better than the old points (I may put a new "hidden" ignition switch on). I got a full gasket set and bolt kit, and those will all be replaced.

-The engine is going to be painted black. The edges of the fins will be bare metal and polished.

-I already have Yoshimura style 4 into 1 from Carpy. It's black, and will be covered in black header wrap.

-The electrical was really bad on it. I picked up a used wiring loom in good condition for a '77 supersport on ebay for $15! Beat that... I think it is the same for the '78, but if it's not exact it will be easy to fix.

-The tank is going to be painted glossy black.

-The rims may get redone as well. They will stay glossy black, but the edge of the rim may be bare metal. For a faux white wall tire look.

-Need all new turn signals and brake lights. I think I am going to do the LED strip style brake light under the seat and have the turn signals integrated. The license plate will be mounted right under this. I'm not sure if it will be mounted to the seat pan or to the fender.

-Speedo & Tach. After much debate, I think I am going to ditch the OEM ones and buy some smaller aftermarkets to replace. They're just so damn big and clunky looking up there.

-New tires are in, and just need to be put on. I went with sport touring so they last longer than racing tires because theyre not as soft. I'm not going to be doing any knee sliding anyways.

-I will be going with pod K&N filters, and ditching the old air box.

-Already have a new chain.

-I only have one side cover so far. The one that goes over the oil tank. I have been having trouble finding one for the other side.

-Suspension needs a little work, and the forks need to be resealed.

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 05:22:45 pm »
looking good. I will keep my eye on this thread.

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:23:43 pm »
That is quite the list but sounds like its going to be a nice build..

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 10:46:58 pm »
for the side cover you may want to consider LPM. I have heard they are way better then stock, since thats not what your going for. Just an option..,

Offline gearhead ed

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:35:52 am »
Nice work! I will be watching this thread,I have a
1978f also. Good luck with you build.
1978 750f    1964 Chrysler 300

Offline UK Pete

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 12:48:30 am »
Thats Looking good so far, i am also am building F2's one standard one cafe racer, i will watch your progress with interest
Pete

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 01:19:58 pm »
Found a replacement side cover for left side for about $45. Someone shared this link with me, and they have cheap side panels. Spread the word. They are in the UK.

http://lpmreplicaparts.com/index.html

Offline cb750fbomb

• is by no means a
  • Hot Shot
  • "No hope? See, that's what gives me guts!"
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 01:30:59 pm »
I got two of those side panels from LPM and they are great. The stock ones I had were made out of peanut brittle sans the peanuts and painted yellow. She's already looking nice with the black and red color scheme. I'm looking forward to see the progress on this one.
'77 CB750F2
“The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.”

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 04:50:47 pm »
I understand the idea.  most times the guys who change a bike to a cafe do it reasonably well. The ones that usally drive me nuts are the guys who want the "bobber" look so they toss the stock seat bolt on some retarded springer seat and drop the rear end with struts. Then chop the rear fender and bolt on the closest trailer light you have lying around.

Like this. sorry if this is your bike not my taste.

Oh and obviously you must paint it flat black.

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 03:16:35 pm »
I understand the idea.  most times the guys who change a bike to a cafe do it reasonably well. The ones that usally drive me nuts are the guys who want the "bobber" look so they toss the stock seat bolt on some retarded springer seat and drop the rear end with struts. Then chop the rear fender and bolt on the closest trailer light you have lying around.

Yeah, I would definitely have to agree that lazy people that are just going for the "look" are the worst offenders, bobber or cafe. I have a profound respect for anyone who fully dismantles a bike and cleans, repaints, and customizes it to their liking. But someone who buys a sparkling, well maintained bike and throws on new handle bars, pod filters, and rearsets just seems wrong to me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:37:13 am by scroggins5000 »

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 04:49:59 pm »
I agree, I have 3 hondas and not 1 of them ran when i bought them. That being said when i cafe my bikes, it would get done a heck of a lot faster if i had a good running well maintained bike to begin with. I would still tear it apart and paint, modify and put back together. I guess the guys that just slap on a few ebay parts are just as big offenders as the bobber guys but both have a plus side. 1) the slap together cafe guys bikes dont look terrible, just lazy. 2), the bobber guys make a lot of stock seats available to the restorer and seat pans for the real cafe guys. Just my 2 cent ramble.

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 06:26:24 pm »
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yes some will end up not being what they could, however Cafe's and Bobbers and a like are not really fads.. All of them have been around a long time. If the bike is going to end up sitting collecting rust or worst it is because of the owner not because of a passing fad. I like seeing CB's on the road, in what ever form gets them out there and running.. Much better then collecting dust/rust and who knows what sitting in some ones barn..

Just my thoughts.. I maybe alone on that thinking tho, its ok I am used to it... :)

:: Edit ::
Just for the record, mine barely qualified as a beater.. It ran and was hard to tell it was a CB.. Most of the parts on in (forks, bars, shocks, etc..) came off different bikes (350, 400, 450, 500 etc..) so no matter what I do it will be better then it was..

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:42:30 pm by Zaipai »
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Little_Horse

• Hot Shot
    • My cafe build
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 07:38:39 pm »
I agree also, if you are going to chop a bike then you may as well start with a beater. Also alot of people start a project and don't finish so if they start with a pristine bike it is a real shame. My build started with a not running bike that was missing enough parts to not bother with a stock rebuild with anyways. Im in for watching this build keep the progress coming!
"Little Horse Cycles" facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Little-Horse-Cycles/185809474769493

LHC is my start up cafe racer shop specializing in custom parts, bikes, restoration and recreation

The 500 builds http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64250.0

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 12:17:23 am »
On another subject: I've seen some Cafe builds that begin with a bike that has nothing wrong with it in the first place, and I don't get that. I really like the cafe look, but if it is a classic that is full stock, and in nice working order, then why not keep it that way?
That's why I went with a beater, because no matter what you do, it will end up looking better than it did... Hopefully! Haha.
Does that bug anyone else?

You betcha!
It's why I try to avoid as much of the cafe/bobber threads on the forum as I can.  Turning good base material into specialty niche, only a few appreciate, is just so sad.  Most will become discarded junkers in a few years cause the fad has passed. IMO
Resurrect a near goner bike into something useful = admiration.
Hack up a good practical runner because of "style points" = pity/disgust.
Real hot rods, rather than look alike wannabes, I place in a different category, however.  But, than needs skilled engine work, usually and $$$, rather than simply putting on pod filters and open exhaust.
I agree with Twotired on this.  It's one thing to resurrect something that's basically dead, save for a good working engine (or rebuilding the engine AND the body) and doing what you want with it but it kills me to see people take a stocker in decent to good condition and just hack up the good parts.  

Cornandp, I didn't say it earlier, but your build thread on the SH forum has my rapt attention.  I really like everything you've done so far, and can't wait to see it done. :) 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:19:17 am by Kit »
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 09:23:20 am »
Well I am going to have the frame, rims and some other pieces re-done. They will be sandblasted and powder coated. I'm getting a good deal on the powder coat, so I decided I should go ahead and get it done. The color scheme is going to stay the same.

The frame will be a metallic flake red instead of just a standard red. Everything else that is black will stay black. Like the rims, triple trees, etc.

The left side cover came in, and the tabs might need to be modified slightly (dremel) to ensure a proper fit.

Later on, I am considering the idea of getting the tank, rear fender, and side covers, pin striped by a professional once the bike is nearer to completion. I would like to do red pinstripes to match the frame and accent piping on the seat. Something real simple and clean. Nothing flashy.

Offline bikeme2001

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 05:49:23 am »
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yes some will end up not being what they could, however Cafe's and Bobbers and a like are not really fads.. All of them have been around a long time. If the bike is going to end up sitting collecting rust or worst it is because of the owner not because of a passing fad. I like seeing CB's on the road, in what ever form gets them out there and running.. Much better then collecting dust/rust and who knows what sitting in some ones barn..

Just my thoughts.. I maybe alone on that thinking tho, its ok I am used to it... :)

:: Edit ::
Just for the record, mine barely qualified as a beater.. It ran and was hard to tell it was a CB.. Most of the parts on in (forks, bars, shocks, etc..) came off different bikes (350, 400, 450, 500 etc..) so no matter what I do it will be better then it was..

I agree with you.I just picked a 78 750 f and was going to restore the bike.I paid 300 for the bike and it is in ok condition for the money.I started seeing these cafe bikes online and thought that was what I would do.Not for being lazy but liking the cool bikes Ive seen.Then I read on here about guys not aproveing of what guys have done too there bikes.I guess if I dont like the looks or style of a rebuild Ill not do that style, but Im not going to bash some guy, Actually i like that other guys do and have done things that I dont like.Saves my the trouble.Dosent mean there wrong cuz I dont want my ride to lock like there bike.

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 08:31:27 am »
I knew I was going to have to replace at least one of the pistons, and I was thinking about going ahead and replacing all four anyways. Well, I just had my Dad and Uncle's machine shop in Houston (http://scrogginsmachine.com/) check the tolerance on my pistons, and they're all off. The tolerance is about double what it should be. So I am going to need all new pistons anyways. Next step is to find out if new set of standard size pistons will work, or if we need to go a little larger and bore out the cylinder walls to ensure proper tolerance. I hope that's not they case. They can't bore motorcycle engines in house, because they're only set up for bigger engines. We would have to send it out to get it done, and that means I'll have to pay for it.
I didn't know it had hemispherical piston heads. Pretty cool. Does anyone know if the F series are the only engines like that, or do some K models have them too?

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 12:41:06 pm »
650s are hemi'd too
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 02:15:36 am »
I agree with Lloyd (Two Tired) that good original bikes should be revered, not trashed, and I hate those jerks who say, "I own this bike, so I can do what the hell I like with it", when someone tells them that they've just ruined another classic, it's like buying the Mona Lisa and wiping your butt on it.

Having said that, if you're starting with something that someone else has already trashed, then the only way is up. I built my K1 Kruiser entireley from parts I bought off EBay, or swap meets, or from you guys. I started out with a bare K1 frame with no swingarm, and a K6 engine that a mate found for me at a swap meet. It still looks a little "ratty", but considering that the 836cc race engine I built for it will do 120 MPH @ 11,000 RPM in third gear, I don't get too much ragging, even from modern bike owners.

I had an F2 10 years ago and loved it but sold it to buy something better, so when I saw another ratty F2 on EBay 5 years ago I bought it, even though it was a wreck. It was so bad I could only use the bottom end of the engine and the frame and wheels, and spent 5 or 6 grand on parts and restoration. I could have saved some bucks and "Cafe'd" it and that would have been OK too, but I decided that I wanted an original (with sensible mods) F2 that I could enjoy for years to come.

Main thing for everyone here to remember, is that it doesn't matter what style of bike that you go for (I'd like to "Kong" a 750 next) the main thing is that you finish it. I've seen so many build threads here that start and don't go anywhere, and next thing those bikes have been parted out and the "builders" have moved on, achieving nothing. All the best mate, get it done, and show us the finished result! Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 02:59:13 am »
I think we can agree on oe thing, if you find a clean bike, don't chop it. I recently looked at puicking up a '76 360 (didn't, but that's how it goes) that had been sitting in a barn for years and even though it was somewhat taken apart it was nice. The tank was straight, gauges were not sun beaten, bird turds all over it but nice. My buddy who came with me asked what I'd do with it & I said restore it, he was a little shocked but I pointed out some things and then he saw the light. Now as for that heap over in the corner that they were looking to let go as a "parts bike" along with the barn find, well I had the frame cut up 6 ways from Sunday within 5 minutes of seeing it.
That which does not kill you leaves cool scabs which turn into awesome scars.

'77 CB750F Come on...were almost there!

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 03:02:10 am »
But back to the point, nice looking project there Scroggins5000, I like the black comstars. Good luck the rest of the way, I look foward to following the rest of this to the finish.
That which does not kill you leaves cool scabs which turn into awesome scars.

'77 CB750F Come on...were almost there!

Offline nobody

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 03:31:31 pm »
I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread as well.

F2s seem to be the red headed step child of CBs and it's nice to see people building them. My F3 is at a standstill because it has no title (lesson learned, never buy a bike without a title). If I can find a titled frame or a parts bike it's on but for now it's gathering dust. Fortunately I hadn't put much time or money into it before realizing the err of my ways.

Seriously good work so far though and I, too, am glad you chose a clunker instead of hacking up a perfectly clean bike.
74 cb750k

If life hands you lemons, make lemonade. If life hands you tomatoes, make tomato soup. If life hands you a box of hand grenades... well, now... THAT'S a message!!

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 05:26:18 pm »
When i was looking for my first bike Lloyd (Two Tired) had one for sale. I spoke with him through email a few times about the bike but as soon as i mentioned that i wanted to build a cafe bike the deal was off. He would not sell me a bike if it was going to be cafed. At the time i thought it was strange but now that i have owned 4 CBs i get it. I wouldnt sell my nice stock bike to some kid who wanted to chop it up. But enough on that debate. I want to see progress! I have hit a stalling point on all my builds (getting married) but ill pick it up again soon.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 05:45:26 pm »
Zapai said,
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I thought it was "beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"....... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.