Author Topic: Transistorized Ignitions, aka Hondaman Ignition in Dual, Single, and now Triple!  (Read 122445 times)

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
I make these Transistorized Ignitions specifically for the SOHC4 bikes, but they also will run any points-driven, battery-and-coil ignition system from 6 volts to 24 volts (including a car!). These leave your points in place as triggers, operating transistors to switch the coils.  This makes the points last a VERY long time, without adjustment. It also gives you 100% "backup" in the event you ever destroy this unit: you can unplug the wires from the points and coils and plug them back together again in about 2 minutes' time, putting you back on the road. If you'd like to see the whole development thread, search for "Transistorized Ignition" and it will take you to 2006 when we developed it here.

Now available in 6 and 12 volt versions, in Single, Dual, and the new Triple points versions!

Below is a picture of the units and a schematic of how they install. For each unit sold, $1 goes back to this forum to support it for all of us!

It's easy to install: the box mounts near the bike's battery and on Hondas it just plugs into the existing wire harness connections, whether it is a Four or a Twin. The wires are color-coded to go along with Honda's wiring scheme. (The version for single-points systems like CB/CL/SL175 bikes may have different colors for the points wires, though.)

There is an optional "Security Switch" that I can add for $25: this 3-position switch kills the coils when set to OFF. This Switch is a special-order item, so drop me an e-mail to discuss it.

For costs, please see the website at www.sohc4shop.com, where I'll try to keep postage current.

Gas Cap Hinge Pins are now available as a single-screw set, These 'kits' consist of a screw, a nice acorn nut, and 2 nice finish washers, all in non-sparking stainless steel so you don't blow up your gas tank, and are sent out for donations to SOHC4.net's Treasury.  :D  These gadgets are purely a fundraiser for our SOHC4 site. They cost $2.50 per hinge set, and shipping is $2.50 for up to 4 sets in one envelope.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:34:25 pm by HondaMan »
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Gears

• Enthusiast
... Gas Cap Hinge Pins????

frankenstein550

Do you still have to worry about points and capacitors condition and or adjustment? That's what I would like to eliminate.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
Do you still have to worry about points and capacitors condition and or adjustment? That's what I would like to eliminate.

From what we have seen since the testing first started in 2006, no wear is appearing on the points. It makes sense: since the arcing on the points normally makes them weld together a little on every opening, forcing the cam to bash them open to make the next spark, removing the arcing and electrical load is letting the points run with almost no wear. I say "almost" simply because I have one e-mail that indicated his points needed adjustment after about a year, but that's the only one I've heard. I've going on year 4 with mine, no adjustment, not even a cam greasing, since 2006 riding season. And I started with used points!

The primary advantages of this system:
1. The original dwell is preserved (no other electronic replacement system does this).
2. The power consumption is only 0.1 amp more than stock, max. The typical Dyna S uses a little over 1 amp extra, as does the Boyer-Brandsen. The Dyna III uses another 0.55 amp on top of that, which makes it impractical for the 500/550 or smaller bikes.
3. Points and condensors stay in place: this provides 100% backup if the electronics ever should fail. You can unplug the 4 wires to the points and coils, plug the points back into the coils, and hit the road again in (literally) about 2 minutes, even on a hot bike.
4. This one has Lifetime warranty (so long as I can still get the parts): you break it, I'll fix it for return postage only.

I hear of lots of other advantages, but those have to be experienced with a ride.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:40:13 am by HondaMan »

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline Gears

• Enthusiast
So are you planning on selling the pins or what?

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
So are you planning on selling the pins or what?

Gas tank pins? I do! I can make some more when I get home (in KC on business).

Offline jaknight

• Hot Shot
  • ....Round Town Ride......
Hi Mark,

As you may recall, I recently picked up a BMW R90/6, a 1975 model.
It had a Dyna III, which I am going to take off and put back the
regular plate with points and condensers.

Do you see any problem adapting one of your ignition systems to my
old BMW?

By the way, I never did let you know that the hardback book arrived
in fine shape and I love the way you signed the book for me.

Sometime, I have got to sit down and write out for you one of the other
miraculous experiences I had....  ;D

~ ~ ~ jaknight ~ ~ ~
"THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD........
..........EXCEPT IN A SWORD FIGHT"

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
Hi Mark,

As you may recall, I recently picked up a BMW R90/6, a 1975 model.
It had a Dyna III, which I am going to take off and put back the
regular plate with points and condensers.

Do you see any problem adapting one of your ignition systems to my
old BMW?

By the way, I never did let you know that the hardback book arrived
in fine shape and I love the way you signed the book for me.

Sometime, I have got to sit down and write out for you one of the other
miraculous experiences I had....  ;D

~ ~ ~ jaknight ~ ~ ~

Cool!  8) Love to hear it.
I have several (3, I think?) Ignitions running on the older BMWs now. It's a single-point version, costs $58 and takes a few days to build up. I don't usually keep them on hand, but it's the same unit as for the CB160/175 crowd, and certain other twins that use one set of points. Or one-lung engines.

Offline Vampire

I take it that this replaces the regulator and rectifier, is that right?
PS: I refuse to grow old until I grow up.
PPS: Growing up is for people with nothing better to do with their lives.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
I take it that this replaces the regulator and rectifier, is that right?

Umm...no.
This is like an "amplifier" for the ignition points.

I haven't finished the testing on my [upcoming] reg-rec units, yet.  ;)

slazenby

I would like to order the basic transistorized ignition; how does ordering work? Do you take PayPal?
--Scott
sdlazenby@yahoo.com

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
I would like to order the basic transistorized ignition; how does ordering work? Do you take PayPal?
--Scott
sdlazenby@yahoo.com

Hi, Scott!
I edited the top post: somehow my Paypal info was gone up there (maybe me?).
My Paypal is only available for non-USA usage only (long story, my identity got stolen, thanks to corrupt Colorado State employees).
PM me for details if you are outside the USA and want one of these units.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:43:43 am by HondaMan »

Offline spitcrazy

• Enthusiast
  • 1973 CB500 FOUR - German Model.... Funky Tailight!
Hi Mark, I can't wait for mine to arrive!!

Question about dwell using the ignition. The points are still in full control of dwell?
I don't have a meter so do I still need to optimize dwell with the points gap?

Thanks!

PS I noticed you have updated the postage info to Canada since I ordered, do I owe you some money? I don't want you to be shorted here :o ;D
1973 CB500 FOUR - German Model.... Funky Tailight!

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
Hi Mark, I can't wait for mine to arrive!!

Question about dwell using the ignition. The points are still in full control of dwell?
I don't have a meter so do I still need to optimize dwell with the points gap?

Thanks!

PS I noticed you have updated the postage info to Canada since I ordered, do I owe you some money? I don't want you to be shorted here :o ;D

You don't owe me any: the postage to Canada seems all over the board. I think it has to do with distance, or districts, or something: here in the States it is one price to next door or to the other ocean.  ???

The gap is still in control of dwell, just like in the stock setup, with this box. So, set the points normally (nominal .014" gap).  ;)

Offline spitcrazy

• Enthusiast
AHHH but remember that the US mail is charging you the varying rates. Parcels within Canada are one rate anywhere in our borders as well. Glad I have paid you all you need to send it out HM.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
AHHH but remember that the US mail is charging you the varying rates. Parcels within Canada are one rate anywhere in our borders as well. Glad I have paid you all you need to send it out HM.

You should have it in a couple more days, I'm guessing.  :)

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
Just got my Hondaman ignition (well a couple weeks ago now)  Just wanted to say that this thing is TOP NOTCH! Excellent quality.... looks like it came from a factory.

Cheers! And thank you SO MUCH!!

PS... I'm frothing at the mouth for one of your Rec'Reg units! If it's anything close to the quality of your Ignition.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
Just got my Hondaman ignition (well a couple weeks ago now)  Just wanted to say that this thing is TOP NOTCH! Excellent quality.... looks like it came from a factory.

Cheers! And thank you SO MUCH!!

PS... I'm frothing at the mouth for one of your Rec'Reg units! If it's anything close to the quality of your Ignition.

Thanks, Hed!  :)

Offline fullofdays

• Broken
  • good old age, old and full of days - Gen 25:8
Thinking about ordering 2 ignitions from you--  thanks!

traveler

What is the price for a setup that would work on my '77 CB550K?

~Joe

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
What is the price for a setup that would work on my '77 CB550K?

~Joe

That's just the basic one, Joe: see the post at the top of this section.  ;)

traveler

So, basically there are 2 advantages to your system over a Dyna S.

1.  Less Ampere draw
2.  Points backup in case of transistor failure

But.....

POSSIBLE points adjustment, and condensor replacement.

Make sense?

Not sure what way I want to go.  I really like a breakerless setup.  With the wiring on my Cafe, I have no accessory amp draw.....all my lighting with the exception of the brake running light, is kept turned off via toggle switch unless I get caught out after dark, then I can use the electrics to power the headlight and gauges to get me home. ;)  So 1.5 amps isn't a big deal for me, but for anyone running all the other stock stuff, this can be an issue obviously.

Thanks for the reply Mark.

~Joe
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 08:04:59 pm by traveler »

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
So, basically there are 2 advantages to your system over a Dyna S.
1.  Less Ampere draw
2.  Points backup in case of transistor failure
But.....
POSSIBLE points adjustment, and condensor replacement.
Make sense?

There's quite a bit more to the story. 

- A Dyna-S will use more power but I consider that nearly a non-issue. 
- Once you set the points up using this system, you're probably done playing with them pretty much forever.  You can go back to them easily on the road side if necessary but I've not heard of a single failure of one of these units.  Since the points are now used only to switch a transistor (very low load), the points maintain their integrity nearly indefinitely. 
- You'll notice better cold starts/idling and better idling overall - I believe this to be true with a Dyna-S as well.
- You're engine will have more RPM range relative to a Dyna-S because the Dyna has a shorter "on" time which translates to less coil bang at higher RPMs (HondaMan, correct me if I'm wrong). 
- It's very easy to "go back to stock".  Not as easy with Dyna - You have to re-install the points plate and lobed cam thing.
- It's cheaper than the Dyna-S.  I think the cheapest you can get a new Dyna-S is $125. 
- If the Dyna-S fails, you wait for parts or put your points plate back on but regardless, your bike is dead.  There have been plenty of reports of failed Dyna-S units but to be fair there's a bunch more of them out there than the HM units. 

You do need to find a place to mount this little box.  Under the battery box works... behind the battery box and in front of the plastic fender.. hmmm.. on  a 550, I think I saw one mounted vertically under the seat near the battery. 
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

traveler

Points would last forever...but probably a good idea to keep the cam lobe in there greased.

~Joe

Offline spitcrazy

• Enthusiast
Points would last forever...but probably a good idea to keep the cam lobe in there greased.

~Joe

however the little cam follower block on each point set will eventually wear out, probably when your grandchildren pass away! ;)