Author Topic: The Abomination thread!  (Read 359009 times)

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
Re: The Abomination thread!
« Reply #2725 on: March 31, 2022, 03:03:18 pm »
They also used the Rover V8 in the MGB/GT. They were used for police cars. All of the MGB's were made to bolt in the Rover V8.

That's my understanding too, since the rubber bumpers began to appear they were V8 ready. Chrome bumpered models required a long list of mods to make them V8 ready.

It's not too hard, when I was in the MG Car Club there were quite a few chrome bumper cars with the Rover V8 and some 302 Fords with aluminium heads and intake manifold. Another motor that is easy to install is the GM 60° V6. The 2.8L/3.1L/3.4L series V6 motors weigh within 20lbs of the stock 1.8L four cylinder. A stock 3.4L V6 makes 180hp, I have built my 110hp 2.8L V6 up to 240hp which is a nice output for an MGB. Currently I am building twin 10 to 1 compression MG motors with ported heads and lightened rods for our two MGB GT's.

I have been planning a 2.8 swap into my '72 BGT for a while now. I have the engine and a T5, but still need the swap kit and the time to actually do it.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2726 on: March 31, 2022, 05:27:31 pm »
I used 3.4L heads and crank to build my 2.8L block. The 3.4L heads have bigger valves and mine are ported and polished with 1.6 roller tip rockers. The block is .030" over and clearanced for the 3.4L crank that has more stroke. I used a double row timing chain and assembled it with ARP studs for the heads and crank. On top is an Edelbrock aluminium intake, a Holley 390cfm four barrel carb and a custom curved rebushed stock distributor.
I built the motor to run hard and have been beating on it for 18 years. I can't say enough good about the ARP studs. I broke the first crank and all I had to replace was the crank and I replaced the bearings just because. The studs held it all together so nothing got tore up. The last thing I broke was the clutch last fall. On a hard 3rd to 4th shift I blew the center out of the clutch disc. That's hot rodding for you. One of the good things is I still get 16mpg when I beat on it. Big blocks that get 6mpg don't cut it anymore. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #2727 on: April 06, 2022, 01:24:29 pm »
I used 3.4L heads and crank to build my 2.8L block. The 3.4L heads have bigger valves and mine are ported and polished with 1.6 roller tip rockers. The block is .030" over and clearanced for the 3.4L crank that has more stroke. I used a double row timing chain and assembled it with ARP studs for the heads and crank. On top is an Edelbrock aluminium intake, a Holley 390cfm four barrel carb and a custom curved rebushed stock distributor.
I built the motor to run hard and have been beating on it for 18 years. I can't say enough good about the ARP studs. I broke the first crank and all I had to replace was the crank and I replaced the bearings just because. The studs held it all together so nothing got tore up. The last thing I broke was the clutch last fall. On a hard 3rd to 4th shift I blew the center out of the clutch disc. That's hot rodding for you. One of the good things is I still get 16mpg when I beat on it. Big blocks that get 6mpg don't cut it anymore. 8)

My engine is the port injected 2.8 from a Fiero, rated at about 14o-145hp net vs the stock MG that was supposedly 95hp gross. Supposedly under 90k miles. The guy I bought it from swapped a supercharged 3.8 into his car.

I want to retain the original FI, I love the Fiero manifold look and I got the full harness and computer, but I am told there is an issue with the throttle body clearance to the bonnet with that intake. I just found a 3.4 Camaro at the local LKQ and I really should go grab the intake and throttle body and some other parts just in case.

I have to relocate the starter too since the Fiero engine is transverse and the starter is on the left side of the engine but the RWD version has the starter on the right side. Fortunately there is a kit to do the reverse relocation right to left, which should also work for what I need.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #2728 on: April 16, 2022, 03:42:24 am »
They also used the Rover V8 in the MGB/GT. They were used for police cars. All of the MGB's were made to bolt in the Rover V8.

That's my understanding too, since the rubber bumpers began to appear they were V8 ready. Chrome bumpered models required a long list of mods to make them V8 ready.

It's not too hard, when I was in the MG Car Club there were quite a few chrome bumper cars with the Rover V8 and some 302 Fords with aluminium heads and intake manifold. Another motor that is easy to install is the GM 60° V6. The 2.8L/3.1L/3.4L series V6 motors weigh within 20lbs of the stock 1.8L four cylinder. A stock 3.4L V6 makes 180hp, I have built my 110hp 2.8L V6 up to 240hp which is a nice output for an MGB. Currently I am building twin 10 to 1 compression MG motors with ported heads and lightened rods for our two MGB GT's.

I have been planning a 2.8 swap into my '72 BGT for a while now. I have the engine and a T5, but still need the swap kit and the time to actually do it.

C'mon now, this is an abomination thread. There hasn't been a single new :o abomination in three pages.
 ;)

I think this type of abomination happens because the side covers are so hard to find. ::) ??? I'll prolly wait and see what you guys are disturbed by  here.  But if you love this magnificent expression of moto-artistic license in teal and shades of cinnamon, lucky you. It is available for the bargain price of $12,500 U.S.D. 

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/1973-honda-cb/4296960510407210?ref=messenger_share&rt=54

« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 04:13:15 am by faux fiddy »
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2729 on: April 16, 2022, 07:54:28 am »
Ok, has this been posted?

« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 08:47:01 am by Alan F. »

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #2730 on: April 16, 2022, 08:03:48 am »
The 350f is a true abomination of gaudiness
The Harley is another idea that didn't need to be expressed. Just because I can think something up does not mean I should build it.
Funny stuff
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Ichiban 4

• "Ichi"
  • Hot Shot
  • A "Boomer" still going strong.
« Reply #2731 on: April 16, 2022, 10:02:31 am »

Yeah..the 350 reminded me of some of the custom bike stuff we saw back in the 50's and 60's..
Maybe because a lot of us were relatively poor (right after WWII and Korean War..some coming out of depression years of 30's) and wanted to be 'creative' when rebuilding/restoring old bikes LOL

Looked to me like the fellow restoring the 350 had access to a lot of various anodizing and spiral-metal finishing methods..that he used to 'dress-up' that bike.  So probably wasn't as financially limited as the old-timers were years ago. 

But one thing that came to mind seeing that..was that some of us tend to get so caught-up in the work and methods we're using at the time..that we aren't thinking about what it will turn-out to be/look like as a finished product.  Personally feel that's okay..but can't expect that others will necessarily appreciate "all the work you put into a project" LOL

The $12K asking price on that seems to indicate that the seller thinks it's worth all the time and money he put-in to it..which of course it isn't to most people..but as others here have indicated..worth a few chuckles to look at..

Al/Ichi
Al Summers

Present: '77 550K
Past: '73 CB450(twin), '72 CB175, '68 CB350, '58 Ariel Square 4 (1000cc), '58 Matchless Typhoon (650cc single), Whizzer Motorbikes '48 -'55 (Pacemaker & Sportsman)..Vespa, Lambretta scooters..etc.

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #2732 on: April 16, 2022, 02:49:31 pm »
Yes, the old “too much to list” syndrome, meaning it’s a bunch of parts put together with little regard for functionality or look.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2733 on: April 17, 2022, 12:47:17 am »
I restored a CB350F back in 1996 before Ebay etc, when I had to buy all NOS parts from my local Honda dealer. It was a $200 swap meet pile when I bought it, so I needed everything rechromed, rebuilt, repainted (professionally) powder coated etc etc. All up it cost me $3900 AUD ($2500 USD) but I did catch a break on a complete NOS exhausts system ($600) and NOS seat. ($400)

Looking at the "Abomination" 350F I can't see how there's anywhere near $12500 in it. The walkaround was accompanied by the sound of crickets, and I think that's all he's gonna hear while waiting for some cool hipster type with deep pockets to fall in love with it, and pony up the dough.... I don't want to even mention the "Scootster", it defies any form of logic ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #2734 on: April 17, 2022, 08:38:08 am »
Yeah, I'm thinking there's a fair bit of money in cheap  rattle can paint considering the dollar cans are a thing of the past, but carbs look (and likely will perform) better soda blasted. The gold spray-on rebuild  is not my favorite color, and unless it's black it impedes dissipation of heat.  And it will all look like crap within 1,000 miles running at operating temp. ( I don't see this guy putting any significant miles on the bike for obvious reason is he is selling it as a runner without new issues popping up. )  As for the tank, the stock 350 f tank has nice lines, and slight knee dents.  It is hard to figure how anyone, adding new paint/graphics which are completely different, and laid over the stock contours of the tank,  somehow can think it will  look better. Then inspect the difference in the gages- this bike is cobbled out of used parts of different quality.  What is going on with those pipes? Are the middle ones just straight hanging/hiding under there? Beautiful stock bikes sell for about 1/3 of that regularly if not much less.

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #2735 on: April 17, 2022, 05:37:36 pm »
The Vetter scooter I can live with looking at and not want to pluck my eyeballs out.  Vetter would be the one to raise the bar.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fdNB7nrNrww/Xv1tfsGCTcI/AAAAAAAAeu8/CpT2ZKQjkuoUUihIbllKrwpsoSPeLRLEQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/2004-Vetter%2BTorpedo-1.jpg
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 05:40:46 pm by faux fiddy »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2736 on: April 17, 2022, 06:44:24 pm »
Yep, I'm a Harley fan and own a couple of Sporties, and as horrible as it is to see one turned into a scooter, the Vetter one doesn't look disgusting. I'd be fascinated to see how one went around corners though, there's a lot of bike behind the rider, and not much in front..... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Online simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #2737 on: April 18, 2022, 02:06:06 am »
also interesting to see how they kept it cool . buell had enough trouble with the rear cylinder overheating in the ally framed bikes . a fully inclosed air cooled v twin looks like a very bad idea . not the worst looking bike in this thread though .

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #2738 on: April 18, 2022, 07:58:55 am »
Really strange
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2739 on: April 18, 2022, 10:00:48 am »
After looking fruitlessly for more info I looked at all of the available pictures closely and it looks to me that the large black circles on each side are electric fans. I'm not sure if it would be cross-flow or both directed inward or outward, but I'm sure that rear cylinder is getting its share of the wind.

Edit, I think they're intake fans. Notice the 'portholes' at the rear are filled with the same old 'pop-vents' that were used on his fairing windshields.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 10:03:37 am by Alan F. »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2740 on: April 18, 2022, 12:05:54 pm »
Yeah, I thought the same thing Alan. I remember my mate Davey had an overheated rear cylinder on his ‘79 AMF Sporty, and probably why my ‘73 Iron Head Sporty has a massive oil cooler. ;D

Offline Just John

• Enthusiast
  • Apparently I am a glutton for punishment
« Reply #2741 on: April 18, 2022, 01:39:59 pm »
The Evo Sportster engine should (in theory) run cooler than the old Ironheads.  But, I would still run an oil cooler on an Evo engine especially in the warmer climates.  In the 70s I used a Ford power steering cooler on my bikes and never had any problems.  I have an old NOS cooler for my 79 XLS if and when I get it ready to ride.  Vetter based his scooter concept on Tony Foale's "feet forward design" 
AMA
AMCA
VJMCA

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2742 on: April 18, 2022, 02:29:22 pm »
The Evo Sportster engine should (in theory) run cooler than the old Ironheads.  But, I would still run an oil cooler on an Evo engine especially in the warmer climates.  In the 70s I used a Ford power steering cooler on my bikes and never had any problems.  I have an old NOS cooler for my 79 XLS if and when I get it ready to ride.  Vetter based his scooter concept on Tony Foale's "feet forward design" 

Thanks mate, I’ve also got an Evo Sporty, a 1994 XLH1200 and have never had any issues with overheating, but when I eventually install the Hammer Performance 1275 kit, “Buell” heads, 570 cams etc I’ll install one as cheap insurance. I used to make oil cooler kits for CB750’s and recently found a box full of new US made power steering cooler rads so I’m in the process of installing one on my 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B hotrod, and I’ll put one aside for my Evo Sporty as well. ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 02:35:19 pm by Terry in Australia »

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #2743 on: April 19, 2022, 05:04:11 am »
Yes, the old “too much to list” syndrome, meaning it’s a bunch of parts put together with little regard for functionality or look.

The bike is just over thirty miles away and I would go see it, but the peril of possibly meeting a total douchenozzle is not worth it.

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #2744 on: April 19, 2022, 05:09:12 am »
. not the worst looking bike in this thread though .

Yeah, the more professional keep simple thing as if it's a rule. Start with the silver trim that wraps around it is all the same line front to back.

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #2745 on: April 19, 2022, 08:01:57 am »
Still, a Sportster scooter?
It's sooooo weird.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2746 on: April 23, 2022, 06:31:06 pm »
How to build a low budget Cafe Racer:
1. Buy old sh1tbox bike.
2. Remove front fender.
3. Turn stock bars upside down.
4. Install the worst possible tyres.

Cafe Pile-o-sh1t by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

One mans dream bike is another mans sh1tbox........ ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2747 on: April 23, 2022, 08:08:00 pm »
Terry you are gonna have to quit buying these neglected abused strays...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2748 on: April 23, 2022, 08:47:39 pm »
How to build a low budget Cafe Racer:
1. Buy old sh1tbox bike.
2. Remove front fender.
3. Turn stock bars upside down.
4. Install the worst possible tyres.

Cafe Pile-o-sh1t by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

One mans dream bike is another mans sh1tbox........ ;D

Terry,it might take a few things for you to sort this one out;the first thing you might do is remove those gawd-awful ugly tires  :-[
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2749 on: April 23, 2022, 08:50:07 pm »
The 240Z was/is a magnificent car...

It truly is.   Back in '70 when it came out, it was a lot like what the CB750 was to motorcycles  [reliable, inexpensive, better than British and fun to drive/ride!]

We are toying about buying this one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324992383755?hash=item4bab0e3b0b:g:qnkAAOSwLjdhygqh

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a convertible 240Z Steve, buy it! ;D

Just made an offer!

Stev-o, were you able to score the Datsun ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.