Poll

What color should I go with for my 750 K2 restoration?

Candy Gold
28 (59.6%)
Candy Ruby Red
11 (23.4%)
Silver
8 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: July 31, 2014, 10:01:50 am

Author Topic: Need Opinion: Help me decide what color to go with  (Read 8436 times)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
Need Opinion: Help me decide what color to go with
« on: July 09, 2014, 10:01:50 am »
While my project is on hold, I thought I'd get this out of the way.

For those who've been following project Ice Cream, you know I've been doing my very best to keep things stock and get it back as close to factory as possible. I've decided to go with a Yamiya kit after looking through some incredible K2 builds on here, and realizing that a top notch paint job costs nearly as much as the kit anyway. For a correct US K2 restoration the options were

Brier Brown Metallic (Flat out depressing so not even in the running)
Flake Sunrise Orange (Tolerable, but not available in the body kits from Yamiya, so not an option)
Candy Gold

Since the very beginning of the project, something has been bugging me constantly, and that is the fact that I simply am not fond of the Candy Gold color in the least. I'm most inclined to the Candy Ruby red (who isn't?) but that is also the most incorrect for a K2. My intentions for this bike are to ride it as long as I can, but i will admit that if the price is right, I will not hesitate to sell it and grab another one to restore. So please keep that in mind when helping me decide, should I go with the correct thing, or something that would look great on it. Thank you for taking the time!

Here are some pix to help with the vote

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Need Opinion: Help me decide what color to go with
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 10:24:29 am »
three great color choices for sure  8)
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline FillionJ

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 10:34:07 am »
Personally I like the gold/yellow, all very nice though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hon3ybadger

• Enthusiast
  • Someday it will run...
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:49:29 am »
I like the silver cause I've honestly never seen it. I've seen the gold and red everywhere but not silver.

Offline EricHa

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:50:18 am »
Candy Gold all the way. I wish my K6 had been painted OEM in that color.
1975 Honda CB550K1
1976 Honda CB750K6
1977 Kawasaki KZ900A5

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 10:58:09 am »
i do like candy gold. for me, it's one of the typical, special honda colours. and good for resale value.
i could also get used to silver, it's kind of understated cool.
red is my least favourite one of the three. looks somehow more "normal" than the others (for lack of better words).

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 03:17:20 pm »
Thanks for the input guys, I might actually be convinced by the end of this poll :)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 04:05:30 pm »
Not crazy about the Gold either, Ruby all the way!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 04:31:05 pm »
Like em all, but the eye popper still the Ruby Red! My .02. Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
  • I love old Japanese bikes!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 04:51:06 pm »
Ed, I've had to make that decision more than once. For a build that I want as a personal bike where it's sole purpose and reason for existence is to stir my emotions and my own personal taste - I'll paint it any color I like and want.

This bike is different. You have spent much time, money, and effort getting it "Right". If this were my bike and I had kept the goals you set and have adhered to - STOCK. Period. My first H2 Kawasaki Mach IV, a 1974 model came in a pretty Green/Green and a Chicken-Poop Brown. I was and did paint that bike back to it's original color - the absolute ugliest and tasteless "Poop Brown".

I promise that if you'll look at and ride the bike as it were a "slice of history", you'll grow to love the Gold. Don't change course now - stay the K2!

Best Regards, Gordon
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:52:47 pm by Ilbikes »
Kaws, Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis - especially Kaws

AJK

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 05:53:42 pm »
Colour is always a personal preference. At the end of the day, if it's not the right colour, it will bug you. I agree with ilbikes though that the candy gold may 'grow on you' if you allow it.
  On another note, you could grab another tank and side covers. Do one in the period look, like gold or whatever you don't like but correct for the bike, & do another one in the colour you like. I know this is doubling up and funds may not permit it, but remember that its only the tank and sidecover replacement to completely change the colour of the bike.
  Consider re-sellability value as well as part of your decision.

Offline Tempast

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 06:07:57 pm »
I've always loved the gold. It's such a pretty colour.

Thinking I should keep the trend going.
My MR2 and 300, and my dads 750 and my 550. Orange for the 550?

Offline jerry h

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 08:45:10 pm »
If I had to pick, personally I'd go with the Candy Gold ;D.    It's an interesting color. Depending on the light and angle you view it at, it can give off an orange-ish hue up to a more  yellow gold.  It's an elusive color to photograph to depict what it really looks like in real life.
"It is not the critic who counts, the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose hands are covered with grease and oil."

K2 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,105097.0.html

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 09:37:56 pm »
Naturally, the 'purist' in me asks for the Gold, but there's a problem (for me) with it: although it is the consummate "hey, I'm from the 1970s!" screaming color (and everyone here knows that's why folks constantly stop in parking lots and gather around mine when I go to town), I never actually favored the Gold, myself. I like the 2 Blues (Candy Blue-Green K0), Planet Blue (it was over silver, wasn't it?), and a tossup over the Valley Green (original, not metallics) and the Candy Red. Of the restos I do, most want the Red.

I had a gold 450, a gold 350, a gold and brown CB500-4, a gold 750K1. When I ended up with the [turd] Garnet Brown Flake on my K2, I gave up trying: in those days these as NO WAY to obtain a blue-green tank and covers from Honda: the demand was too great. When I got married in 1979, the brown was worn down to the failed Valley Green layer (they painted red over failed Valley Greens to get the brown) on most of the tank, so I had a friend who owed me a favor paint it: I told him 'anything Honda but gold'. He misunderstood, guess what color I got...it's STILL there!  :P

So...if you want to remove all doubt in the public square of this bike's genre: go with the gold. Everyone will stop and look at it and tell you how they remember their gold one, too.  :D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 01:08:30 am »
I've only ever seen one silver K2 Raffi, believe it or not, when I was a kid in secondary school a school friend of mine tricked his father into buying him a silver K2 when he was only 13 years old! Yeah, I know it sounds like BS, and I didn't believe him until he invited me to come check it out, and there it was, a shiny new silver K2, parked in his dad's garage.

His dad was German and his english was poor, so I believe that he didn't know what he'd ordered until it arrived at the dealership, and by then it was too late to change his mind.

I left home to join the army before he was old enough to get his license so I never saw it on the road, the next time I saw him I was riding a new CB750 and he had a shiny new silver CBX! A couple of years later I had my first K1, and I had it professionally painted in silver because I liked that silver K2 so much.

Of course the final decision will be yours Raffi, as it should be of course, but I can tell you that there are thousands of red and gold K2's out there, but how many silver ones do you ever see? Cheers, Terry. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 04:10:00 am »
When I first set out to buy a CB750 my heart was set on a candy gold K2. Looked at a few but the price was too high for the junk people were selling. I was dead set against one of the wide panel later models. I decided the most logical move was to buy the best "stock" bike I could afford for the right price. I wasn't excited by my candy anteres K6 at first, but it was in great shape and a good deal that I couldn't pass on. Now I absolutely love it.

The silver would be my last choice because that color was never offered on any model year in the states. It seems that 90% of the restored bikes I see are the candy gold. I may be the only one, but I really like the look of the brown. I've only seen one in person and it seems to be rarest color. I think my current favorite color is the candy Bacchus olive.

Offline timbo750

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 04:32:02 am »
This very same question has been in the back of my mind for months now about my build. I tend to agree somewhat with HM about the blues, but now Terry has got me thinking about the silver as well. My build will not be stock like yours but I do want it to resemble a stock bike with a colour close to stock. Go with your gut instinct, after all you did say that you would keep unless someone makes an offer which means it should be finished to your likening.

Offline Dream750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 07:15:08 am »
The 750 K2 owners are the lucky ones, they were produced in 8 different colors and the most of any of the K series. Honda used a two letter code for paint color identification. Unless you’re restoring for concurs d'elegance points competition, any of these colors are factory correct for a K2, but not necessarily area code correct. This is a subjective and debatable topic depending on who you talk to – so let your conscience be your guide. My vote is picking out one of the colors that YOU like and calling it good. ;)         

CM-Candy ruby red       
LU-Brier brown metallic
LV-Flake sunrise orange
LX- Candy gold custom
LY-Candy Bacchus olive custom 
MV-Planet blue metallic
NQ-Silver metallic custom     
PC-Astro purple metallic

Offline KC_Northstar

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 07:28:44 am »
Not to make it even more complex, but there are 2 different candy golds.  Candy Gold and Candy Gold Custom.   The Candy
gold custom was used on the K2's.  It is slightly darker.  There used to be an internet site called spookey toms that showed
examples of many Honda colors.  He claimed that Planet blue metallic was used on a few U.S. bikes and had come across several.
I also saw a K2 on Ebay a while back that was for sale by the original U.S. owner and it was original paint Planet blue.
Check out this link to this exact topic a year or so ago that includes a color poll.  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=106645.0
In the picture below CQ is Candy Gold and LX is Candy Gold Custom.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:32:21 am by KC_Northstar »
KC

1971 CB750-K1
1972 CB750-K2
1971 SL350-K1
1971 SL125-K0
1979 CM400A

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 09:06:05 am »
Personally, I like the Ruby Red.  It really is a beautiful color on these 'ol beauties.  However, if you ever sell it, the purists will want a correct color for the year.  But, I really believe that if you put 2 identically restored 72s next to each other, 1 in Ruby Red and the other in Brown, and then offered them for sale at the same price, the Ruby Red sells first.  I restore about 1 bike a year and I usually give the customer the color choice as long as it's a Honda color.    I've done 5 Ruby Red, 2 orange, and 2 blue bikes.   There's a reason salesmen say "Resale Red"

The gold will grow on you.  It is really a beautiful color in person as well.  It get the 2nd place vote.

Silver, is just so blah for me.  Not enough contrast with the bike.  Kinda dulls the whole look.

I voted for Ruby Red.  Good luck - can't wait to see the finished pics.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 09:56:34 am »
Thank you everyone who has taken the time and provided valuable insight, I really appreciate it. I can't describe how good it feels that my project isn't just my bike, it belongs to this SOHC family just as much as it does to me :)

@Stev-o, @Bill: I agree, many say the same thing, Ruby Red makes the CB750 "Stand Out" a little more than the others

@ilbikes: Inspiring story once again, if you can put up with Chicken Poop Brown, I feel like I at least owe Candy Gold a chance

@Jerry h: That's a good way to look at it, and I agree about it looking different in different lighting. In fact, the first pic above, I thought it was Candy Gold from a bad lighting angle but as @KC_Northstar clarified, that is in fact Candy Gold Custom. I would never have been able to tell the difference :D

@Hondaman: The purist in me (gold guy) hates the enthusiast in me (ruby red guy), hence the dilemma :D. I thought silver would've screwed them both but it doesn't seem to succeed. Lots of folk arund here who grew up in the 70s, and our town does host a classic auto show in the summer. I was planning to take it there eventually, and I can see the benefit you describe, lot easier to explain :)

@Terry: I know I will be making the tough decision in the end, this thread has helped me ease the biggest concern I had originally, which is "What if I regret the color choice I make?". Lots of good points that I hadn't originally considered. I know that there aren't many silvers, but @greenjeans' reply has me thinking about it. There really isn't much contrast in the silver when it sits in between all that Chrome, Polished Aluminum and Painted Engine, so at this point, at least in my head it has been narrowed down to Red and Gold, somewhat of an easier decision  :P

@Dream750: Thanks for that info, and good point on technically being factory correct but not area code, will definitely now be a factor in my final decision

@KC_Northstar: Thanks for clarifying the different golds. Had I known Planet Blue was a correct K2 US color, I'd have included it in the poll. I think* yamiya sells a blue set too, so good to know I have a third "correct" option in case I abandon the gold vs red debate altogether :D

@greenjeans: I agree that the purist buyer will probably ask for the gold, and cosidering the price I have in mind for it, I'm sure they WILL. But if red is truly a "resale red", then I guess can afford to not worry so much about selling it, at least not right away.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 10:57:55 am »
Ed- i am bias to the candy gold paint (since I have it on my K1).  Love the paint and the way it pops in the sun is amazing.  Since you have done such an amazing job restoring the bike I lean toward period correct paint.  That being said it's your bike and you have to be happy with the paint color.  I know I am not in the majority but I don't like the red and prefer the silver out of those two because it's unique.

IMO you can't go wrong with any of the Yamiya colors, pick one and go with it.

Offline jamesbekman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 11:00:27 am »
Why no love for brown?

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 01:29:13 pm »
I like the gold and would probably go for that but my second choice is orange. I love orange bikes.

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 04:51:27 pm »
I'm orange too large metal flake