Author Topic: Squirley's 550 CAFE Build  (Read 155399 times)

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
Re: Squirley's 550 CAFE Build
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2008, 06:26:38 am »
I would say either lower the front one inch or raise the rear one inch and lengthen your tail by two. I agree it does have a bit of a pushed-in-nose feeling right now, but if you look at a lot of older, vintage bikes, that's kind of what they looked like, too. It would be interesting to see how it handled in it's current configuration.

1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2008, 07:45:53 am »
Squirley

I don’t see it as being an issue with the front end, but a fender would pull some colour up front and reduce the focus from the tire.

I hate to say it but my money is on swingarm length. If you can pull the rear wheel in approx 2” without changing the shock or its location that would effectively reduce the forward stance substantially. With your excellent fabrication skills you could weld on eccentric axle adjusters from maybe a ZRX or something to shorten the wheelbase.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2008, 07:47:16 am »
Squirley

Other options include extending the seat back a couple of inches as already mentioned and/or using light mounts to create length. Check out the new CBR1000RR. Honda has mounted the signal and brake light way out back in a very creative way.

Just thought that I hope will give you some ideas.

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2008, 11:29:08 am »
Squirley

Other options include extending the seat back a couple of inches as already mentioned and/or using light mounts to create length. Check out the new CBR1000RR. Honda has mounted the signal and brake light way out back in a very creative way.

Just thought that I hope will give you some ideas.

They put it way out there because it has to be behind the tire by law (for new manufactured bikes).  The first thing everyone does is remove that long thing and put everything under the tail.

The only thing I would suggest is to lengthen the seat just a few inches.  I think it would make the bike look more sleek.

or after looking at it a bit more,  you might try to source a tank from an early cb 500.  It is a smaller tank and you could throw some knee dents like this:

It might give it that sleek look and not so front heavy. 
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

fuzzybutt

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2008, 12:20:24 pm »
i'd say just lengthen the seat a bit and be done with it. i take it the tank was ok?

QuikSilver

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2008, 09:42:36 pm »
your crazy. its perfect.

Offline acaruth

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2008, 01:27:55 pm »
your crazy. its perfect.

I have to agree with Quik. I think the bike looks perfect. By the way squirley, what size tires you running on that thing?

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2008, 02:36:34 pm »
Squirley

Any new progress to repost?

FJ

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 09:42:41 pm »
Not much in the form of visual progress. 
I have done:

-got the chain riveted together and on
-started my wiring harness, got the basic stuff for charging and starting
-got the new accel coils on
-made a makeshift stand for the bike
-did a little suspension changes to make the bike a little more appealing

Acaruth, the tires are 110x90x19 front and 130x80x18 rear.

Here are some pics, not much new. Hopefully will have it running this weekend after I time it.

Offline Stevevo8

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:55 am »
What year and model of GXR is the front end from? I love what you did here. I have a 400F that would love something like this.

fuzzybutt

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2008, 12:02:12 pm »
was the tank ok i hope?

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2008, 03:53:15 pm »
Fuzzy, I think the tank is fine thanks.  I havent filled it up yet, but after i stripped it down, everything seems to be solid.

stevevo8, the front forks are from a 2002 gsxr 1000. 

Offline babyfood1217

• The only way to drink espresso is as a
  • Hot Shot
  • I miss my baby...
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2008, 05:42:20 pm »
GAWD!  that is hot!  Best word: Stout!  I would ride it in a heartbeat!  Keep up the nice work!!!

-Chris

And share feedback! (plz) http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=38280.0
I need help moving my project bike from Wisconsin to Seattle, WA.  Willing to pay well.  Contact if interested.

SOHC member: #438

Project: 1976 CB750K
GSXR forks, Monoshock Rear end, 836 in progress, RC51 pipes, custom frame and everything else.

Offline bradweingartner

• 74 CB 550 x2
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2008, 08:48:21 pm »
I don't suppose you have the part number for the top steering stem bearing you used?? That would help a guy out a lot  ;D

Love the bike.

Offline BlindJoe

• Expert
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2008, 02:05:27 pm »
Looking good...I'm anxious to hear how that 650 cam performs. Hurry Up! ;D

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2008, 04:00:05 pm »
Well, she is up and running.  It is running very lean so I will have to dig into the jets next.  But anywho, a couple issues for you thinkers out there. 

Aside from me having to run on choke a little due to being lean, the number 1 cylinder exhaust appears to be much hotter than the rest of them.  The yoshi pipe was painted with a high temp bbq paint by the previous owner,  after running the bike for about 15 min, the paint on the number one cylinder is disappearing.  My thoughts are:

1)  It is buring oddly due to not enough fuel
2) The time is off (4 cylinder is moderately hot)  And timing was a hassle today, the timing for 1-4 is a little advanced, but cylinder 2-3 is looking good with the standard static timing.
3)  Maybe the paint wasnt as thick

Please feel free to add some advice and correct me where I am wrong, but my guess is that it is due to  cyl 1/4 being advanced (damn aftermarket points).

Also, there is a fair amount of exhaust pillowing out the back.  It does not look blue enough to be solid oil.  It is in a whiter shade, but considerably thick for moisture.  Is this possibly another issue due to improper jet and fuel values?  It didn't do it upon initial startup, but it does now when I rev to moderatley high rpms which leads me to believe that it is a fuel issue.  What do you think?

Please chime in with anything

ps  The 650 cam is a direct drop in.  no cross wires, or even in my case no dremel work.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:38:12 am by squirley »

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2008, 10:28:55 am »
I used a harley narrow glide dual disc hum like the one in your first link.  You can also find single disc front hubs like this and they go for cheaper is you only want to use one disc.
The other hub is the older style star hum and does not use sealed bearings.

Offline sinister902

• Hot Shot
    • Anger Street Kustoms
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2008, 10:52:15 am »
THANKS!....pricing stuff out  ;)

Offline Stevevo8

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2008, 07:43:12 pm »
Fuzzy, I think the tank is fine thanks.  I havent filled it up yet, but after i stripped it down, everything seems to be solid.

stevevo8, the front forks are from a 2002 gsxr 1000. 

Im assuming you used the tripple tree from the same GSXR; do you know if that tree has any degree to it and what your resultant trail is?

Thanks Again!!! Keep up the good work.

Offline Stevevo8

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2008, 08:20:02 am »

engine temps can also be incresed by too much fuel; probably not your case since you have a larger 650 cam in there. I would adjust the air mixture for that cylinder and see if the engine temp goes down a bit or not.

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2008, 02:29:49 pm »
The triple of the gsxr does not have very much offset, that is why the front appears to be a little pushed in.  I don't know what the trail will be, but I will find out.

comp

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2008, 03:51:59 pm »
cool build

Offline bradweingartner

• 74 CB 550 x2
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2008, 09:03:14 pm »
To clairify for those of you wanting or attempting to do something similar to this:

I've been doing my homework... Got some forks sitting at home right now (too bad I'm stuck in Vegas on business till the end of August  >:( )

If you use a lower steering bearing from any year XS650 (and other Yamahas), in the UPPER position in the SOHC CB head, and a stock CB bearing in the lower position, you'll end up with the desirable 30mm bore upper and lower needed for virtually all modern sportbike front ends. The only minor pisser is that the Yamaha is a 48.0mm OD, and the CB has a 48.5mm OD spec. So you'll need some .25mm shimstock to make up for it as was mentioned earlier.

When the time comes I'll take lots and lots of detailed pictures for everybody else who's been wanting to do this. Keep in mind though when you guys are scrounging Ebay and the likes. Even though modern forks go for under $200 all day long, by the time you end up with all the other parts to make it work you can be in the hole for a grand or more real fast. Makes me wish I would have just bought a complete front end wheel to clip-ons for $1000 and saved myself the headache of finding all the misc parts.

Nobody said this was cheap...  ;D

Offline squirley

• Hot Shot
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2008, 09:55:11 pm »
The bearing from a yamaha sounds about right, I will check out my build notes but off hand that seems correct. 
If we are talking price, I have done my whole front end for just over 700 bucks, and that includes almost all new parts from the aluminum DID rim to buchanons stainless spokes, galfer lines, etc.  If you are doing it on a time limit this stuff would cost a small forture, however, if time is your friend, you can do it considerably cheap