Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3157640 times)

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #18150 on: July 27, 2014, 05:12:18 am »
Got the carbs off....easy..peasy......

It'll probly take my lazy azzzz a month to get 'em back on.....we'll see.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
« Reply #18151 on: July 27, 2014, 05:31:19 am »
Rode my 350/4 to a club coffee morning.  Nice weather for the middle of winter.  Scrubbed in the new Pirelli City Demons

http://www.cimaa.asn.au/?page_id=1371
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #18152 on: July 27, 2014, 06:54:53 am »
Dynamically timed Rhonda... 1/4 spot on, advances just fine. 2/3 are jittery and don't advance fully. Is this a symptom of the out-of-true advancer shaft?

Also put on the solid-state Reg/Rec. Bike seems to start easier now, especially with a kick.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18153 on: July 27, 2014, 07:55:57 am »
Dynamically timed Rhonda... 1/4 spot on, advances just fine. 2/3 are jittery and don't advance fully. Is this a symptom of the out-of-true advancer shaft?

What brand of points do you have? Some of the cheap type pose problems with timing. Search for a thread by Hondaman on this.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline rappz7

• Enthusiast
  • Bikes dont leak oil, they mark their territory
« Reply #18154 on: July 27, 2014, 08:18:39 am »
Took her down to bare bones. Removed everything including the engine and begun to sandblast the frame.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18155 on: July 27, 2014, 12:15:54 pm »
Been working on getting this '77 550F roadworthy.  The PO did some truly custom paint work on the front lowers, isn't that pretty?

Nothing me and a little stripper couldn't handle. Took the forks apart for inspection, new seals and oil and got em back on the bike...

Next: new rubber on the front.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #18156 on: July 27, 2014, 12:26:32 pm »

What brand of points do you have? Some of the cheap type pose problems with timing. Search for a thread by Hondaman on this.
The preferred brand is "TEK", a logo on the point plate with the 3 letters smooshed into one 6 sided emblem. IIRC

To your question, I'd think if the advance shaft casues a prob with 2-3, it would also on 1-4. I blame the plate and or points on 2-3. Quaity control. Split the difference.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Nic

« Reply #18157 on: July 27, 2014, 02:32:32 pm »
That'd be TEC

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18158 on: July 27, 2014, 03:21:11 pm »
Rear brake lever and arm
New Autopal H4 DOT headlamp
Clutch lever
Left and right controls,
Throttle grip and cables
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #18159 on: July 27, 2014, 04:05:03 pm »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #18160 on: July 27, 2014, 05:36:08 pm »
Thanks for the info, folks.

In sad news, I dropped my bike today.  Rhonda took a nap and then started crying oil from the coil cover... nice little crack. So I had to pull all that apart. Going to be a temporary JB Weld fix for the time being, then either a new cover or a quality repair job by a welder in the winter.

If anyone has a generator cover that would fit a K5 going for cheap... pleas PM me.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox

Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline imamotohead

• Nuthin a little duct tape won't fix!?!
« Reply #18161 on: July 27, 2014, 06:29:05 pm »
I took my first ride after rebuilding the carbs on my 750F1 cafe.  Ran better than it ever has!   :D Great Day!
Here today, gone tomorrow.  Make the most of today!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18162 on: July 27, 2014, 06:34:03 pm »

In sad news, I dropped my bike today.  Rhonda took a nap and then started crying oil from the coil cover... nice little crack. So I had to pull all that apart. Going to be a temporary JB Weld fix for the time being, then either a new cover or a quality repair job by a welder in the winter.

If anyone has a generator cover that would fit a K5 going for cheap... pleas PM me.

I wouldn't waste money on repairing it, good time to upgrade to a polished cover.

Offline MarshallCS

• The Audio Ninja
  • The things I can control are in control
« Reply #18163 on: July 28, 2014, 02:35:11 am »
Replaced wonky Left side switch unit with a NOS cb750A unit (slight wiring differences, but I figured it out.) Added a GSXR1000 clutch perch and lever instead (matches my MC.) Replaced the clutch cable and refitted grips.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can finish tuning the clutch bite point and get the clutch safety switch wired. (need some small spade connectors)
First and Only Bike
1978 Honda CB750F Supersport

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #18164 on: July 28, 2014, 02:40:54 am »
Well it was cold and miserable again today, but being the manly man that I obviously am, I braved the slings and arrows of outrageous weather conditions and whipped my dirty old "Wang out for a lazy 150 mile ride. I dropped in to see Steve K0 in Wallan first for a cup of coffee and a chat, then headed off into the frozen tundra.

I headed north, and took the Broadford exit, then east across to Yea (pronounced "Yay", not "Yeah") for another coffee and a couple of jam donuts, and a smoke. The lady that served me must have been bored because she came outside for a chat about my magnificent 'Wang, saying that she'd never seen one that big before? "I bet you have", I thought to myself, but being the gentleman that I am, I thanked her politely.

By now my bladder was full of second-hand coffee, so it was time to head for home. The 'Wang was in it's element cruising at 75 MPH at a leisurely 4000 RPM in 5th gear, and silently passing all and sundry, and whilst bitterly cold, the warm air coming off the engine provided some comfort as I rode west into the setting sun. All in all a lovely ride, and a nice way to spend an otherwise miserable Sunday afternoon. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Always happy to trundle along beside you on the XJR if you want the company on a Sunday ride Terry.

No worries Cliff, what are you doing next weekend? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18165 on: July 28, 2014, 02:42:23 am »

Nothing me and a little stripper couldn't handle.

So where's the pic of your little stripper Steve? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18166 on: July 28, 2014, 02:45:42 am »

I wouldn't waste money on repairing it, good time to upgrade to a polished cover.

I hate throwing away good covers because they can be easily welded and polished back to "as new", but that one is a fake anyway, so no biggie. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #18167 on: July 28, 2014, 03:40:32 am »

I dropped my F2 in a parking lot in Tennessee earlier this month as I was coming to a stop, it was the first time I've dropped the bike but wouldn't ya know it I did it in front of 4 other bikers.  :'( I've got crash bars on mine so no damage to the left side cover but a day or so later I began hearing a noise as if something was loose especially when taking off from a stop. Well I found out yesterday what the noise was and it turns out the mounting point on the left crash bar where it mounts to the frame is cracked clean through so it's coming off today so I can properly weld it.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #18168 on: July 28, 2014, 04:39:35 am »

I hate throwing away good covers because they can be easily welded and polished back to "as new", but that one is a fake anyway, so no biggie. Cheers, Terry. ;D

No "Made in Japan" give it away? A new one from DSS is 250$. Bleh.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18169 on: July 28, 2014, 04:47:37 am »

Nothing me and a little stripper couldn't handle.

So where's the pic of your little stripper Steve? ;D

Check the "rack" thread!

Offline jamesbekman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18170 on: July 28, 2014, 07:29:47 am »
I assembled the carbs back together id say about 7 times on the bench for my CB500K0.  I have a spare set of carbs to reference and another CB500K0 to look at as well.  I learned that carburator inside and out and there really is only one way to put those carbs back together on the rack as I certainly found out.  A bunch of cool engineering to get everything to line up etc... 

I also got my rebuilt and painted caliper with new OEM piston on my CB500K0 cafe bike with my aftermarket master cylinder after I was having a moment of stupidiy wondering why I couldnt get any pressure built up in the system as I didnt have the cap screwed down and sealed.  I also rebuilt my other CB500's brake caliper last weekend as well. 

I also had another bank of carbs pulled and redid the float heights after a cleaning from ethanol in the system clogged stuff up, mounted them on my other cb500k and had them weaping like crazy and was very frustrated.  I let it drain out then start the bike with the fuel bowls full of fuel and the problem corrected itself.  I had put some kroil in the float jets and blew air into the gas line and let the floats seat a few times to get them nice and lubed up and seat properly which did help a lot, then sealed it up and went along as I stated above.

I also looked at my CB350twin and said hello...  If I didnt have to get all oily to do your timing I would pay attention to you right now.  I did add a little marine stabil to the gas though.

I also laid a little clear on the red OEM kill switch that I am rebuilding. 

I also looked at the non cafe CB500K's rear brake that is out of adjustment and it techincally works now but I need to do some research and have another go at getting her working right.

I didnt drink one beer but did a little chewing tobacco...  The girlfriend also wasnt upset that I was working all day long and was very understanding.  So I believe it was a success. 

Offline trebuchetxlt

« Reply #18171 on: July 28, 2014, 02:02:05 pm »
Fitted a set of original Honda 4-4 pipes on my 550. The guy I got them off had them stored in a barn since 1975 when they were taken off a new bike and replaced with a Kerker 4-1. Cleaned off the 40 years of barn #$%*e and gave them a bit of a polish and they look fantastic, even the black paint around the muffler ends is still there, all this for just $400 for the set. It really was my lucky day.
1975 CB550K
2013 CB500F

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #18172 on: July 28, 2014, 02:06:08 pm »
Fitted a set of original Honda 4-4 pipes on my 550. The guy I got them off had them stored in a barn since 1975 when they were taken off a new bike and replaced with a Kerker 4-1. Cleaned off the 40 years of barn #$%*e and gave them a bit of a polish and they look fantastic, even the black paint around the muffler ends is still there, all this for just $400 for the set. It really was my lucky day.

lucky day for sure-bike looks fantastic...Larry

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18173 on: July 28, 2014, 02:57:40 pm »
The clearcoat was failing on my K7....

Had my buddy shoot it with clearcoat and buff it....

Not perfect by any means but looks 100 times better.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #18174 on: July 28, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »
Show a picture of the right side Steve. I want to see what it did to the cracks in the striping. I want to get my freshly derusted Apricot Red Flake K5 tank clearcoated. Did you hit it with rubbing compound or something else before applying the clear?
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......