Author Topic: 350f, Bonneville bound.  (Read 48451 times)

Offline MondayLSR

Re: 350f, Bonneville bound.
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2013, 07:45:28 pm »
Ahhh. Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

We were also discussing having the mill table ground square. (Blanchard ground) Thoughts on that?

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2013, 08:14:17 pm »
You adjust the head to be square with the table; the head is adjustable, while the table is the constant, unless there is severe damage or wear to the table surface. Minor boo-boos, or tattoos can be "stoned" off with a common flat 3x5" sharpening stone, like your grandfather used to sharpen his fishing knife. The idea of stoning is to only remove the very slight ridges left at the edges of the tattoos, but not the rest of the table surface; you can feel the drag of the stone over the ridges.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2013, 04:16:38 am »
Thanks for the info  8)

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2013, 04:55:41 am »
Wow, what a great addition to the shop!

Is $1100 a mega-bargain, or should I start planning to get one of these too once I have a shop again?
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2013, 06:48:52 am »
I honestly don't know. Someone who knows better please chime in. It was a bargain to me because we went halfs on them.    8)

Offline EBCB

• Earache Motorsports
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2013, 09:00:38 am »
One down, three to go...

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2013, 08:49:02 pm »
Looks good erick.  I did some test fitting and have some issues to work out in regards to cooling flow.  ???

I will hit you up tomorrow and see what you think.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2013, 11:45:02 pm »
Without digging back through, what do you guys have to do to qualify as a rider there? I just read an article in American Motorcyclist about running 175mph to qualify the rider?? Maybe I missed something.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2013, 06:54:15 am »
That is for SCTA riders that have entered a bike in a class with that speed -record or higher. Those runs are made on the long course.  All others are on the short-course.  If you want FIM sanctioning, you also have to submit a recent physical with your application.  I think I understand that SCTA also requires a rookie-run but has just recently allowed that the run may also qualify for a record attempt on the short-course. The BUB event has very similar AMA rules and also has FIM sanctioning...........I am not aware of a rookie-run requirement.

I think its a very good idea to take a cruise on the salt to familiarize yourself with the course markers and how to exit and return to the pits.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2013, 10:28:41 am »
Solid info, thank you!

Offline 195suz

« Reply #185 on: February 26, 2013, 11:22:03 am »
At BUB they do a rookie orientation where you can drive your car or bike down the salt to see everything it is very helpful.

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:27 am »
Anyone have experience with steering dampners?  Any reason to spend big bucks on an aftermarket, or will a used factory one be sufficient?

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2013, 12:44:54 pm »
Monday they are there for a reason, its your backside  so  spend accordingly  ;).... bit like a helmet decision I guess

I posted a pic of the latest Honda dirt bike CR 450 or something, very small and mounted vertically on the front of the head stock....... light , not sticking out into the wind on one side,    new about $400.
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2013, 02:50:02 pm »
Any damper is better than none.
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline MondayDad

« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2013, 09:20:50 pm »
Has anybody gotten one that they didn't like, and if so, what didn't they like about it?

How about one that they liked well, or upgraded to?  What made it better?

Are there better/worse brands, not just higher/lower price?  Do they fail? 

Is there something that would make them not pass tech?

Looking for some experience and specifics.

MondayDad

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2013, 10:06:40 pm »
Gday mate, i always use them on my 750/4's, actually, nearly every bike i ve ever owned either had one or i fitted one. On the Old Honda's i just use the old Kawasaki style NHL dampers, cheap enough and make a noticeable difference to stability, if you set the to the higher settings you will notice and induced weave at slow speeds as the front end is tighter and harder to steer, great at high speed though, also i fitted them after experiencing some scary tank slappers, never had a slapper with a damper fitted.  I use the 3rd setting on them for the street, they can be adjusted on the fly...

http://www.zpower.com.au/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1916/products_id/379

Ignore the price. they can be found cheaper... ;)

Here you go..  Scroll down the page for more...

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4634.m570.l1313&_nkw=NHK+Steering+Damper+&_sacat=0&_from=R40
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2013, 06:17:24 am »
Thanks for the help!  A factory piece that is adjustable sounds perfect.

Offline EBCB

• Earache Motorsports
« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2013, 07:57:22 am »
Thanks for the help!  A factory piece that is adjustable sounds perfect.

I have one from a '00 GSXR lying around my garage someplace. Let me know if it'll work and I'll try to find it.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2013, 03:16:22 pm »
The critical aspect of the "bargain" dampener is the effective movement at the center-point........ie.....no play and equal restriction in both directions.  I have seen several 'cross' mounts going from the fork-tube or outer portion of the lower tree and then to the opposite side of the frame down-tube to avoid hitting the head on a wide motor.

Going back to your intake design.....others have commented and I agree....a prolonged lean condition on any piston can lead to a grenade condition......Its a long way at WFO between the timing lights.....The Lake Gardener reports confirm.   
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2013, 03:51:05 pm »
The critical aspect of the "bargain" dampener is the effective movement at the center-point........ie.....no play and equal restriction in both directions.  I have seen several 'cross' mounts going from the fork-tube or outer portion of the lower tree and then to the opposite side of the frame down-tube to avoid hitting the head on a wide motor.

Going back to your intake design.....others have commented and I agree....a prolonged lean condition on any piston can lead to a grenade condition......Its a long way at WFO between the timing lights.....The Lake Gardener reports confirm.
Well that's gospel for LSR. Anything using nitrous (the worst IMO) or forced induction will blow through the edge of the piston and your seal is gone. The best case scenario is you lose power and cut the run or you really hurt the engine. I never got into turbo stuff though I enjoy the concept. Guys I know tell me to "boost" my busa but I like NA and always have.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #195 on: March 01, 2013, 04:01:12 pm »
I definitely don't want any lean cylinders.  A lot of effort was put into trying to design the manifold to flow as equally as possible..... lets hope it all works the way I hope  ;D

A very awesome benefit of running this fuel injection is the ability to control individual injectors.  This year we will have to do some plug reading to dial in each cylinder, but there is discussion of running 4 widebands in the future. 

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #196 on: March 01, 2013, 08:16:12 pm »

Never had that as a problem on a 750 so it should be an easy fit on the 350.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2013, 08:41:41 pm »
Erick (EBCB) gave me a call last week and wanted to contribute more to the project.  Cant say no to that!  It amazes me how eager people are to help out others.  Learning a lot of life lesson on this project.  He just made one to test fitment with.  We made it nice and solid to retain strength, but Im worried it will block too much airflow to the head. 

Next up was more work on tank template fabrication.  Another new friend Jay Basler stopped by to lend a hand getting some measurments for the top of the tank.  Big thanks to him..... It gets pretty awkward trying to sit in full tuck position with one arm holding a ruler while blind measuring!  :o

I reached a point with the tank that it was time to start making final decision on where to mount the battery and intercooler, which made for the most logical routing of the hot and cold intercooler pipes.  First up is the battery. Thanks to my dad and friend Chris Kellar for coming out Thursday.  Dad provided moral support while Chris put some time in on the camera.

I decided the idle air control valve had to go.

The week ended on mixed emotions.  Saturday morning at 5am I received a call from my brother informing me of the passing of our grand father.  He has been battling cancer for many years, but since his wifes (our grandmother) passing about a year in a half ago things started to go down hill.  He has been in a lot of pain lately and it has been extremely hard to see him in this shape.  He was a greatly compassionate, patient, humble, loving, humorous man.  Only now do I realize what a noble life he led.  Im not sad, but proud to have had him in my life.  I hope people see my life the way I see his when Im gone.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2013, 08:56:57 pm »
Sorry to hear about your grandfather; it sounds like he lived a life worth celebrating...
BTW, nice pics....
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline chris mcshifty

• Enthusiast
« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2013, 11:18:01 pm »
He will be with you at the salts and all ways