Author Topic: 1977 CB550F IDK (first build)  (Read 170828 times)

Offline minimo

• Expert
  • 1977 CB550F 1975 CB400F 1959 Ducati 200 Americano
1977 CB550F IDK (first build)
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:19:07 am »

Oh boy, what did I get myself into. OK. Deep breaths. This is my first build. A recent fascination with the cafe racer-styled bikes got me fawning and obsessing over pics from various blogs, forums and videos like . Call it a fad/fashion whatever, I knew I had to get into it and I figured how difficult could it be to build this in my apartment/garage? Sure, I've ridden on the back of a couple of motorcycles long ago but so what if I don't know how to ride/operate one. Oh yeah, so I'm a total newb to motorcycles. In fact, for the longest time I've been against them for whatever reason - probably thought they're too unsafe or whatever. Yeah, whatever. I do have a hand at machining, fabricating and fixing things - I've worked a number of years in the special effects industry for movies - so those skills I hope will come in handy. We shall see.

I purchased this partial basket case 1977 CB550F from a guy in Norco, CA (one of the armpits of SoCal) for 600 bucks. The guy responded to a Craigslist want ad I placed for this specific year/model (significant 'cos it's my birth year, eh hem). He told me he put his back out in a work-related injury and couldn't complete the build and hence threw all the incomplete parts, well, into a basket. It appeared that the bike sat covered for a while outdoors yet had been found in a tool shed some time before then. The odometer reads 26k miles. I have a feeling those are original miles.

Considering the bike is as old as me, it looks like it's in semi-decent condition. The carbs were off so couldn't test to see if it ran. So yeah, the tank and the carbs were off (some of the basket items). The tires were flat so it was a beast for me to load it up and then off the truck all by myself; the PO had put his back out so he couldn't help me. When I came home, tear down began immediately and it was pretty much down to the frame and motor in a matter of a few hours:

See I've designated a corner of my apartment already for parts I don't know what I'm going to do with - probably eBay/Craigslist them. Oh, btw, I've temporarily nicknamed this bike, "IDK" pretty much 'cos I Don't Know what the F I'm doing. But what I realize is that I need to give this bike a complete scrub down and maybe even replace some parts along the way. We'll see how it goes...

I admit that I'm currently about five months into my build - it's my first post and I'm back-logging here. Been meaning to post as I work but just found myself so immersed in the bike and screwing up and making trips to Home Depot and Harbor Freight... Just gets so busy. So this may all seem like I'm working in warp speed (for a novice) but really, this is going slow over the course of the last few months since my purchase back in June of this year (2012).
I've had to extract a bunch of the screws because 1) they were stuck, and 2) I don't have the right size Philips screwdriver. I do love my GrabIt Pro tool though! I fully endorse and adore this product.

Whittling it down...

I was struggling a bit trying to get the swing arm off. Lots of head scratching and moving the part around. I realized then that sometimes you gotta bang on things pretty hard to get things off a 30+ year old bike.

Engine removal time! Picked this trick up from a number of you here in the forums  8) Thank you.

Voila!

Let's begin to peel back the engine, shall we... (gulp)

Doh! Cam chain tensioner bolt kept spinning and the nut was pretty much seized onto the stupid Philips head bolt. Btw, why in the friggin hell are a lot of these screws Philips? Sheesh. I'm ordering myself a stainless socket bolt set. Screw this. Anyway, I was in a rut so I had to Dremel a slot for a flathead to get the darn bolt out and pretty much replace the entire part because the bolt is a special piece... Oh well.

Cylinder head and pistons look a bit #$%*e. Say, why don't we soak them overnight in some Simple Green... Bad idea.

So as many of you know, Simple Green is a great cleaner/degreaser. It works well on most metals but don't do what I did and leave aluminum parts to soak in the liquid for too long (eh hem, a few days) or it will corrode the part.
Time to get the valves and the springs out without a proper valve compression tool. Going ghetto with a C-clamp and a PVC pipe fitting. Whoops, I shot a couple of valve keepers out the window. Where'd they go?

What the heck does this do?
And this...
Man, what a mess.
Cafe Buffet

Oh balls!
I'll be replacing those with some All Balls tapered bearings 'cos that seems to be the thing to do these days  8) Had a real rough time drifting out the lower bearing race. In fact, I gouged out a good portion of the inner wall as I tried to forcefully bang the race out with a dowel and a hammer. Basically, I wasn't banging evenly and the race began to gouge into the inside wall of the tube... Frack. What can I do? Can I ground/hone it down and allow the new tapered bearing race sheath it? I hope I don't have to get a whole new frame for this dumb mishap. Crap. Lesson learned - haste does make waste, folks.

Dude, not cool. Right? What to do?
Anyway, we'll get back to this later. Meanwhile, I've got the frame to de-tab.

I got the tires off the wheels and part of the hardware on both front and rear... I can make a career out of working the wheels but I won't. I think I'll let someone else work these because I don't have the right tools nor the wits to take these apart. Again, we'll address the wheels later when I get to it. Focus right now is the engine and then the frame.
Onto the crankcase. Whoa. Been stumbling on this one for a while, probably a week to be exact. I couldn't figure out how to split the case after taking the sides off. Then, alas, I found one lone screw, Philips no less, on the bottom of the crankcase that was holding the whole thing together. Let's not lose this screw, huh? Anyway, crankcase is apart and now it's time to get dirty!

What the hell am I doing? IDK. Nevertheless, I think I'm getting somewhere. My garage and apartment feel like a junk yard and the incense masks the stench of WD-40 and Simple Green fairly well.

Gutted. Time to clean and soda blast the exterior followed by a warm rinse and power wash. Get this baby ready for paint. Oh joy!

Been ordering a bunch of parts along the way:

Quite impressed with Dime City Cycles. Excellent packing and quick shipping. Also quite like http://www.hdlparts.com for ordering a bunch of the nitpicky OEM seals, bearings, clips and other parts. They also have the cool parts diagrams and such. Check it.
Anyway, so where were we? OK, so which brings us to the here and now. I've got the empty crankcase and I soda blasted/power washed it so now I need to mask it off for paint. I'm using Rustoleum Specialty High Heat (rated at 1200�F) - there's a picture of a gas grill on the can so hopefully they're serious when they say this stuff can take the heat. Not sure if I need to bake these parts as I've seen demonstrated in the forums here but I'm sure I'll find the info. So I think this gets me up to speed with where I'm at on this build. Lots of work done yet so much more ahead. It's slow going but this is becoming a good life lesson on time management, budget, patience, trouble-shooting, resourcefulness... Learning a lot and I'm grateful for it. It's sometimes frustrating and exciting but trying to take it day by day. I can almost taste the exhaust.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:35:00 am by Glenn Stauffer »

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
Re: 1977 CB550F IDK (first build)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:44:39 am »
You got guts........to say the least.

Kewl...........................!!!!!!!!

Hope all goes well..........liked the video.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:33:04 am »
Very ambitious first build.  Curious on why you totally disassembled the motor withonly 26K miles? They commonly go twice that or more w/o a rebuild.
Did the PO say it needed it?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:48:55 am »
Thank you for the well wishes, budlite282.

Very ambitious first build.  Curious on why you totally disassembled the motor withonly 26K miles? They commonly go twice that or more w/o a rebuild.
Did the PO say it needed it?
Well, good question. Part way through disassembly I was wondering the same. I wanted to be sure that there'd be no leaks so that at least meant that I had to replace the gaskets and seals and since the bike wasn't running, there was no way for me to find out. Replacing the engine gaskets kind of requires pulling apart quite a bit off of the bike and I thought, well, how difficult could this be if I'm systematic about it. Very difficult. This is proving to be a great challenge for sure. It's like there are mini worlds within these parts and it amazes me how complex this machine is. It's going to blow my mind when/if I get this thing back together again and it starts. Whoa.
Thanks for tuning in!

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 09:50:34 am »
Subscribed.... You should be able to get a bill for those side covers if you sell them... If not mroe if not cracked or broken...
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 10:06:56 am »
Thanks, Tews19! Thanks also for tuning in. I will need the help for sure  :)
Good call on the side covers. Yes, they're in good condition, however, one thing I noticed from pictures of the OEM side covers it appears that the "550F" mark is more like a badge/emblems as opposed to a sticker as it is on mine.
Here's an example of some I found online:

Whoa, 19 bids for these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB500-CB500F-FOUR-NOS-SIDE-COVER-EMBLEMS-NEW-OEM-CB550-CB550F-/221126596931?nma=true&si=Ali%2BXNJV8QD8EyuI1zOUApkEZwU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:25:21 am »
550F has sticker decals on the side covers... I am not sure what color yours are as they are most likely repainted.. Whats the plan for the exhaust? Please whatever you decide, keep the header and use it.... The sound is really nice with the right muffler set up... Use CLR to remove the rust and steel wool 000
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 10:34:44 am »
Yeah, interesting. Mine are a maroon color, matching the tank.
TwoTired has a collection and knows the difference between the models:

If it has a badge attached to the cover, it is a K model, as the F side covers had vinyl letter applied.
The 74-76 cover badges had a plastic orange "F" embedded into the molded badge itself.
78 CB550K badges were molded and gold in color with black paint in the shadow of the letters.

Not sure I've seen 77 badges, if they are different from the 78 models.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 10:45:00 am »
Maroon was not a stock color, but your bike is 35+ years old, they have been painted every color you can think of. (the PO painted my 75 F red)

Learn more about your bike here....

http://www.sohc4.net/index.php/cb550/cb550-model-guide/
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 10:56:02 am »
Thanks, Stev-o. By "maroon", I meant the "Candy Presto Red" color. That's what I have and it appears that everything pretty much matches up color-wise.
I think the seat from the PO was aftermarket as it's missing the strap that goes across but oh well.
Thanks for the link but looks like the photos are down and the pdf turns up a blank page :o

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 07:50:50 pm »
thanks for the tips on the header and reminding me about the exhaust which I'm not sure yet what I'm goin to do with - probably use the same one if there's no good reason not to. The exhaust looks pretty well caked in carbon on the inside. Can I bathe it in CLR to clean it out?

550F has sticker decals on the side covers... I am not sure what color yours are as they are most likely repainted.. Whats the plan for the exhaust? Please whatever you decide, keep the header and use it.... The sound is really nice with the right muffler set up... Use CLR to remove the rust and steel wool 000

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 02:22:10 am »
Masking with 3M Transparent Duct Tape is working out well so far to prep the crankcase for paint. This tape is great because I can see where to cut along. The adhesive on this tape also doesn't appear to leave a gooey residue either.

Not shown are my efforts of plugging all the threaded holes for screws. Want to make sure to leave those areas clear of any paint.

Plans to paint the engine with Rustoleum Self Etching Primer followed by their Specialty High Heat rattle can rated to "Resist Heat Up To 1200°". Holy smokes! We'll see about this...

Oh crap, would it be wise to hone the cylinders first before paint???

Currently in the midst of prepping the cylinder head, cam cover, header, oil pan, and other such paintable items that are aluminum in color. Thought I'd chronicle where I'm at as I post 8)

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:52:34 pm by minimo »

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 04:56:21 pm »
Welcome to my living room garage. Won't you come in?

Make yourselves at home and have a seat. Some tea?

Offline Spike

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 07:36:05 pm »
Just a question with regard to the primer.  The paint is high temp and will stick to 1200 degrees theoretically but what about the primer? Hopefully a paint guru will be able to answer.  Good luck with your build.
Any road...anytime
IBA# 6154
'73 CB 500
Concours C14
BMW R100/7

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 10:42:40 pm »
Just a question with regard to the primer.  The paint is high temp and will stick to 1200 degrees theoretically but what about the primer? Hopefully a paint guru will be able to answer.  Good luck with your build.
That's a great question! Experts out there, can you offer some advice? High-temp primer, perhaps? I was actually going to skip the primer - for the engine - and paint straight onto the engine. I'll use the self-etching stuff on the frame and other parts.

Offline bmann

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 10:58:19 pm »
If you really are selling the side covers I am quite interested as long as they are not cracked.  Please message me.
thanks

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 12:28:24 am »
If you really are selling the side covers I am quite interested as long as they are not cracked.  Please message me.
thanks
I'll think about it, bmann. No cracks, pretty pristine and I won't be using 'em since I've grounded off the darn tabs.

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 09:52:16 am »
Since I cannot put my engine in a "spare" oven and do not wish to risk bodily injury by using the one in my kitchen, has anyone used a heat gun to cure hi-temp paint??  There's a cheap Harbor Freight model on sale currently.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline IAmCitizenMe

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 10:00:46 am »
Subscribed.

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 10:09:26 am »
CB750, I was thinking about going the same route with a heat gun, specifically with that Harbor Freight one but after talking to some people, and among them some experienced paint pros, using that approach may produce bad results with uneven drying/curing since the heat is a more directional one as opposed to oven baking.
As for the health issues for oven baking painted parts, I'd be curious to find out what harmful chemicals are burned off after cleaning an oven with say Easy Off or some other cleaner commonly used in this case. I don't know, after baking my parts in the oven, I plan on leaving it on BROIL for a while in the hope that will burn away most of the harmful vapors left behind from the paint. Any scientists/physicists/doctors/chemists out there care to chime in?

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 10:17:07 am »
By "risking bodily injury" I meant from my better half and not the vapors!  Those paint vapors can't be good either, or oven cleaning vapors for that matter.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline sanglasmick

• Just do it! but be careful!!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 12:07:22 am »
Hey Minimo,

Looks like you know exactly what you're doing, well done on the purchase.

On the colour, mine is a '77 CB550F2 and is the same colour as yours with the "sticker" badges, although my PO thought white house gloss paint was an improvement? :-\

Subscribed.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=103837.0
1977 CB550F2, 1974 Sanglas 400E, 1981 XJ750A.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 01:39:33 am »
your doing bloody well,dont rush it as it comes closer to being finished.

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 09:27:49 pm »
Thanks, y'all.
Funny, I had a dream last night that I had completed my bike build and I was riding around in it. I was really happy in this dream; it felt really good. But then I awoke and shuffled into the mess that is my living room and then the real nightmare began again. Life and work are pulling me away from this build lately, but there's not an hour in the day that I'm not thinking about what I'm going to do on the weekend. Next on the build agenda still is paint and bake. Ugh. I may be about ready to throw in the towel and buy me a Beat Takeshi bike. Dream on.

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 09:06:37 pm »
Honed with balls