Author Topic: dash cams  (Read 68425 times)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
dash cams
« on: January 08, 2013, 12:28:10 am »
just testing out my new cheap dash cam,70 bucks,,the sd card was 48 extra!it works ok,the mount on a vertical truck screen like mine captures a little of the actual mount,its a kaiser bass cheapo impulse buy,have a look at this squid,,i heard him first coming from behind and looked in my left mirrors,its a sweeping left bend 60 kay limit(35mph),then my right ,,nothing,,then he flashed by,,further ahead you see a small dump truck with a bobcat on board he does the same thing to,all on a sweeping left bend with no rear view much past your own tail,,hope it works,its taking forever to load on photobucket.

it must be a loud bike,thats windows up and air on in a brand new litttle isuzu,even in the distance you can hear it,loud pipes save idiots?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:32:48 am by dave500 »

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
Re: dash cams
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:36:26 am »
huh?  I thought dash cams were for cops? I didn't hit the you tube.

But I did see  reverse cam at autozone  which I thought could make an excellent rear view for a cafe bike. I wonder if you could see the screen in broad daylight...

It was only $99 and wifi to the screen that was about 10cm x 30 cm.

DOT says all cars in US will have this in a couple years because of a lawsuit against the dot by some lady that backed up over her bayby cradle or something. Detroit it will prolly cost $1k for this thing that costs $99 at autozone. Okay thread hi-jack over....
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:56:18 am »
That's an awful camera Dave, (but not as awful as the music you were listening to) but thanks for the clip anyway, that guy was hiking.

Your point about loud bikes wasn't lost on me either, I always thought loud bikes were pointless because you only hear them after they've roared past, but now I think they're not a bad idea, I certainly heard that guy before he passed you, so you couldn't say that you didn't know that he was there? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 02:38:24 pm »

Listening to some John Cougar Mellencamp there Dave?  ;D
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 03:22:44 pm »
just the radio,i channel surf it all the time,yeah its a crappy camera terry,but still good enough for my miserly intentions,say like if that bike rear ended the car in front then i drove over it?i live up a steep steep long hill.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:16:52 pm by dave500 »

Offline jamesb

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:22:35 pm »
Loud pipes saves idiots. I like that a friend has this on a shirt
"If loud pipes saves lives imagine what learning to ride that thing could do" pretty cool dash cam. I'm thinking about getting me one to use in my 1960 Chevy and my motorcycle. For insurance purposes and the pigs here can't be trusted.
I've done a lot of things in my life that I'm not proud of...and the things I AM proud of, "are disgusting"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 07:33:39 pm »

Listening to some John Cougar Mellencamp there Dave?  ;D

I like John Cougar
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 07:45:21 pm »
just the radio,i channel surf it all the time,yeah its a crappy camera terry,but still good enough for my miserly intentions,say like if that bike rear ended the car in front then i drove over it?i live up a steep steep long hill.

Gotta love the V8 rumble especially when it is paired up with looking over the bonnet of a nice HQ ;D
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:25:28 pm »
it doesent work bad for cheap,ill see how long it lasts?its slow transfering a file to pc,it plays direct on tv but grainy,you have to save the file on pc then use a movie program to convert it so itll play on wmp or say quick time or link it to photobucket,it loop records in 2,5 or 15 minute segments,much better units cost much more of course.ive just quietend that car down true blue,the old walker super turbos were 20 years old!it made too much noise under load like that,from in the cab thats mostly qjet induction roar.
http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/GPS-Navigation/Road-Recorder/LAKBA12001
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:29:42 pm by dave500 »

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 06:14:47 am »
Thanks for posting this.  I've been thinking about getting a dash cam for a while.  I know this one says it has a rechargeable battery, but does it also have the option of plugging into the 12v socket so you don't have to keep pulling it out to recharge?  Have you tried it at night? 

I think your issue with having to convert the file to play it on your computer is just a lack of the correct codec for .avi files.  I use VLC media player because it plays just about anything without needing any tweaking, but if you like WMP you can go here to get the K-lite codec pack for free that will allow you to play most file types on it without having to convert them first. 

http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Codec-Pack-Full/3000-13632_4-64246.html

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 11:34:53 am »
thanks for that link gordon,i have k lite and fraunhoffer codecs maybe those are later ones?,yeah it has a lighter socket you can leave plugged into the unit,it switches on and off automatically and starts recording then when you start the engine,so long as the lighter socket is key switched,mine isnt but the truck one is,i havent tried it at night but as a guess id say its crap with a two foot range?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 01:40:41 am »
if this guy hadve hit the truck here he would say i drifted into his lane,theres a pair of learner riders in front of the car infront of me and half a dozen directly behind me,im not about to brake hard just through a busy four lane intersection,he gets the horn once i realize hes not going to see me,,or is he trying to bulldoze his way over?he stays in that lane all the way,this and other stuff happens all day,the camera is right on the a pillar so the white line runs close in the shot.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:45:31 am by dave500 »

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 06:01:36 am »
That CAM shot would have come in handy in court if the RED SUV had hit you. They were probably looking at the GPS to find out where they are. There are new laws here in most states "DISTRACTED DRIVING" has to do mostly with TEXTING on your cell , but if you're looking at a DxxM GPS for directions and NOT looking at the road isn't that the same????
A person should know where they are going before they leave and when they get there then they are there!!!
Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 01:54:42 pm »
That CAM shot would have come in handy in court if the RED SUV had hit you. They were probably looking at the GPS to find out where they are. There are new laws here in most states "DISTRACTED DRIVING" has to do mostly with TEXTING on your cell , but if you're looking at a DxxM GPS for directions and NOT looking at the road isn't that the same????
A person should know where they are going before they leave and when they get there then they are there!!!
Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

ha!  +1.   it's called a MAP, and REMEMBERING.... long forgotten skills, i'm afriad.   ;)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 03:09:46 pm »
Actually I love my GPS, and if I was driving from one side of the city to the other as I did on Wednesday when I collected my GL1200 engine from an area I wasn't familiar with, I would have presented more of a problem to other drivers as I continually referred to a map, rather than just listening to the crisp English voice of "Sarah", my GPS lady.

Sarah tells me when to turn 800 yards before each intersection, then prompts me again 150 yards before that intersection, so I have plenty of time to check my mirrors and indicate well before the intersection. She also tells me where the speed cameras are, and if I'm driving faster than I should be.

I still remember the days when I'd see car and truck drivers driving along with their street directories on their steering wheels, watching traffic with one eye, while scanning their street directories. I don't even need to look at my GPS, I just listen to Sarah's lovely voice, and it's all good. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 03:10:15 pm »
Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

ha!  +1.   it's called a MAP, and REMEMBERING.... long forgotten skills, i'm afriad.   ;)

+1000000000   

Nice commentary Dave....."dickhead"..... ;D ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 03:12:41 pm »
Actually I love my GPS, and if I was driving from one side of the city to the other as I did on Wednesday when I collected my GL1200 engine from an area I wasn't familiar with, I would have presented more of a problem to other drivers as I continually referred to a map, rather than just listening to the crisp English voice of "Sarah", my GPS lady.

Sarah tells me when to turn 800 yards before each intersection, then prompts me again 150 yards before that intersection, so I have plenty of time to check my mirrors and indicate well before the intersection. She also tells me where the speed cameras are, and if I'm driving faster than I should be.

I still remember the days when I'd see car and truck drivers driving along with their street directories on their steering wheels, watching traffic with one eye, while scanning their street directories. I don't even need to look at my GPS, I just listen to Sarah's lovely voice, and it's all good. ;D

On the other hand, my boss loves his GPS, i hate the friggin thing, it took us 45 minutes to get to a job that i could have gotten us there in 15 minutes, they don't seem to understand the best route, the bosses has a mind of its own.... :o
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 03:24:22 pm »
Yeah Mick, like anything electronic they are reliant on up to date software and are subject to electronic gremlins, but I still remember the Brisbane street directory I bought that had multiple printing errors that caused me all sorts of problems too.

In a big city like Melbourne, there's no way I could have read my street directory before leaving and still have remembered the entire route to the factory complex in Brooklyn where my engine was, if I said I could, it wouldn't be here, it'd be in the "Bullschidt" thread. ;D

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 03:30:08 pm »
Yeah Mick, like anything electronic they are reliant on up to date software and are subject to electronic gremlins, but I still remember the Brisbane street directory I bought that had multiple printing errors that caused me all sorts of problems too.

In a big city like Melbourne, there's no way I could have read my street directory before leaving and still have remembered the entire route to the factory complex in Brooklyn where my engine was, if I said I could, it wouldn't be here, it'd be in the "Bullschidt" thread. ;D

Even with a "good" Bris directory, there's that many 1 way streets that its a pain in the arse to find your way around, the old "I was only going one way officer" doesn't work either.... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 06:37:20 pm »
"didnt you see the arrow"?  "i didnt even see the indian"!

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 06:43:35 pm »
A mate of mine got pulled over and asked "have you had anything to drink ?", he said, why, is there a big fat sheila in the back.?   He said that the dopey cop just didn't get it....  It was funny over a couple of cold ones... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 03:02:13 pm »
Even with a "good" Bris directory, there's that many 1 way streets that its a pain in the arse to find your way around, the old "I was only going one way officer" doesn't work either.... ;D

Yep, I was up there for the Expo in '88, then moved up in 89-90. They changed a lot of city streets to "one way" for the Expo and kept them like that afterwards, but UBD et al, didn't catch up with all the changes for a couple of years, so it was a nighmare for a Mexican like me until I got to know Brisbane much better. I was in Brissy 2 years ago and surprised myself with how much I still remembered. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 04:08:01 pm »
dash cams....kinda old hat....been there done that...... ;D ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vzjRs3ARo0g#!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 12:16:16 am »
Wow, every person in that clip is dead now, so that in itself is interesting, seeing all those "Dead men walking"......... ;D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 12:20:15 am »
ill bet more than a few went to ww1?