Author Topic: No Reserve Racing - Project and status updates  (Read 27403 times)

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
No Reserve Racing - Project and status updates
« on: April 26, 2015, 08:30:12 pm »
I bought a 65 CB160 about a year ago, in really rough shape. 
Not running(with suspected engine problems), no title, no headlight/speedometer, broken starter, rusted rims... anything metal looking has some sloppy aluminum paint haphazardly applied on it, and the speedometer cable was just hanging off the front wheel.

What's a bike like this good for besides parts... I say race bike!   

So my buddy and I spent some time tall talk'n about how easy it would be to convert this into a race bike.  Well, in hindsight, that time a talking was precious time being wasted.  I race with AHRMA, and we're planning to be at Grattan in mid-June for our first race of the season.  Plenty of time, right?

We started the tear-down in late January, doing a little work here and there, and then started picking up the pace around late-February/early-March, and now we're feeling the pressure in April. 

Here's a couple pictures of the bike as we're starting the tear down (I think we only removed the seat and side covers at this stage):

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:16:34 pm by Kickstart »
- Chris
75' CB750F Orange flake (rider)
75' CB750F Blue (Project)
75' CB750F Painted black (Project)
No Reserve Racing #171 AHRMA

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
Re: Le Mans start CB160 by mid-June or bust
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 08:43:27 pm »
Some tear-down action shots:

Carbs with rotting air filter - note the quality application of aluminum paint: :)

Lower left side - you can see some of the rust on the front rim:

- Chris

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 08:59:02 pm »
Most of the pictures we took are close-ups, as we wanted to create a reference to use later.  Neither of us have previous experience with CB160's... all we have is a scanned copy of the shop manual and an Clymers manual - but the clymers manual seems to be for a different model :)

We don't actually have much to go on with building a CB160 race bike.  The GroupWRacing website has pretty much been our starting point, but that was last updated back in 2008, and some of the links on that site don't work.

Here are some more of those close-up shots:

I'm pretty sure that rectifier doesn't work anymore:

If we didn't take a picture of it, we'd have no idea where to attach the ground wire:

Carbs off:

Headers off:

Right side controls with some penetrating oil - also showcasing the aluminum paint on the handlebars:

Front brake:

- Chris

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 09:16:02 pm »
This bike has an unknown past... The guy I bought it from didn't have much information on it's history, but there's definitely some oddities with this bike, besides the missing headlight/speedo and the sloppy aluminum paint:

Serial numbers on the frame and engine have a difference of around 450, which I beleive is not normal for a stock Honda of this era.  At least that's what I recall from reading one of Bill Silvers books.

The engine has 2nd over pistons (0.50), with one of them badly scored (oil starved?):

The cam and rockers seem OK though (I don't really have any good pictures of these):

The other thing that's odd (at least to me) is it has an aluminum steering damper knob.  This should be a black bakelite material, correct?
- Chris

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 09:26:36 pm »
OK...some more tear down action shots:

Oil separator is pretty gummed upped:

Clutch pack:

Clutch basket and hub:

Removing the clutch basket and oil pump:

Cases split:
- Chris

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 09:35:25 pm »
Another bad sign we encounter is the transmission.

Shift forks are in rough shape... gears don't look much better:

- Chris

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 09:58:58 pm »
OK, so as I mentioned before we don't have any experience with the CB160 (or the other mid 60 Honda's), but we know a few things from my experience with my CB750's, and have a little track experience.

So, we decide we should spend some money on the suspension first.
  • Ordered AllBalls tapered neck bearings
  • Ordered new wheel bearings for both wheels
  • Ordered fork seals from OhioCycle (needed NOS for the early style forks)
  • Ordered Haggon shocks from Dave Quinn http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/ - Thank you GroupWRacing webpage for the reference
  • Sent the swing-arm off to HondaMan

It turns out with the CB160 (and bikes with similar frame designs like the CB/CL77, and I believe the early CB350's), the swingarm straddles around the outside of these flanges on the frame.  After discussing swingarm rebuild options with Hondaman, I decided I wouldn't take any chances and just sent him both the frame and the swingarm.

My friend Jeff (AKA Crew Chief of No Reserve Racing), insisted we send the frame in style... so he built this frame crate:

Round-trip shipping almost cost as much as the swingarm service.. but it was worth it!

Here's some of Hondaman's handy work:

Hondaman also wrote up some very detailed installation instructions - I think we have a picture of that as well (I'll need to dig it up) - top notch work!

A Big thank-you to Hondaman for providing this service and being so passionate about the preservation of these historic motorcycles!

- Chris

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 10:23:19 pm »
Blasted and primed frame:

First coat of red paint:
- Chris

Offline mkoski

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 09:55:23 am »
This is a wicked project. I really like the idea of making a low CC bike as fast and sleek as possible, keep er up!

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 07:11:47 pm »
OK, so as I mentioned before we don't have any experience with the CB160 (or the other mid 60 Honda's), but we know a few things from my experience with my CB750's, and have a little track experience.

So, we decide we should spend some money on the suspension first.
  • Ordered AllBalls tapered neck bearings
  • Ordered new wheel bearings for both wheels
  • Ordered fork seals from OhioCycle (needed NOS for the early style forks)
  • Ordered Haggon shocks from Dave Quinn http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/ - Thank you GroupWRacing webpage for the reference
  • Sent the swing-arm off to HondaMan

It turns out with the CB160 (and bikes with similar frame designs like the CB/CL77, and I believe the early CB350's), the swingarm straddles around the outside of these flanges on the frame.  After discussing swingarm rebuild options with Hondaman, I decided I wouldn't take any chances and just sent him both the frame and the swingarm.

My friend Jeff (AKA Crew Chief of No Reserve Racing), insisted we send the frame in style... so he built this frame crate:

Round-trip shipping almost cost as much as the swingarm service.. but it was worth it!

Here's some of Hondaman's handy work:

Hondaman also wrote up some very detailed installation instructions - I think we have a picture of that as well (I'll need to dig it up) - top notch work!

A Big thank-you to Hondaman for providing this service and being so passionate about the preservation of these historic motorcycles!

It was completely my pleasure and a joy to work on this bike!
I put almost 80 hours into it, but it was worth it in the end to feel how a 160 arm COULD be, given some love.
I remember then being so "wiggly" in the turns because of their side-to-side slop, and like the CB350/360 twins, it is at least fixable (even if you have to make your own parts!).

Thanks SO MUCH for letting me be a part of this project.
:)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 07:30:05 pm »
Thanks Mark, and thanks for sharing your knowledge.. while it's not a 750, I don't think I would have had the confidence to tackle building a CB160 race bike if it wasn't for reading your book and many of your posts here on the forum.

One of things that I really enjoy about working on these bikes are the people I meet and the stories they share.  Especially about the heyday of Honda motorcycles from the 60's and 70's.

In addition to a couple stories Hondaman shared with me, I recently had a phone conversation with Denny Poneleit.  Who's Denny Poneleit?  Well, when I called him all I knew was he had a lot of experience building CB160 racers, and some AHRMA friends we recently met suggested I reach out to him.  After talking to Denny for a little bit I learned he used to race a CR750... and won Daytona on one in 1971. 

I did a web search on Denny and found a couple of cool pictures:
http://www.hapscycle.com/photo_detail.asp?photo=657384

http://www.hapscycle.com/photo_detail.asp?photo=657385
- Chris

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 08:10:05 pm »
This is a wicked project. I really like the idea of making a low CC bike as fast and sleek as possible, keep er up!

Thanks for the support mkoski - and we'll do our best to make this little bike go fast.

We're running into two challenges:

1 - We're trying to keep the bike legal for the USCRA F-160 class, but to do this we'll put ourselves at a disadvantage in the ARHMA Le Mans start class.

The USCRA F-160 rules restrict the bike to having a mostly stock engine, carb, suspension - allowing 4th over on the pistons and not much else.  Whereas AHRMA applies the 200 GP rules to this race, which allows one to bore the pistons out to 200cc, and do all sorts of other modifications (i.e. hot cam, upgrade the transmission to 5 speed, larger carbs, etc.).  After talking to Denny (mentioned below), he mentioned some guys have two different engines that they swap in depending on the organization they're racing with. 

For us, we're just starting in this class, and we didn't want to go crazy spending money on upgrades, so we decided to stick to keeping it closer to stock for now. 

Here's what we've done (or are planning on doing):
  • 3rd over pistons (0.75)
  • Kibblewhite valves, springs, brass guides, and Ti retainers - but we stuck to stock size, so not really a performance improvement per say, but should allow us to rev pretty high without worrying about a head failure
  • Boring the oil pump out to accept an oil pump piston from a CB200 for more oil flow - or, at least we're attempting to do this
  • New SKF bearings in the transmission
  • Cam chain tensionser with a roller bearing sprocket replacing the small wheel, and aftermarket ball bearing modified larger wheel
  • Removing the starter motor
  • Excel aluminum rims
  • 18 tooth front sprocket and 38 tooth rear sprocket
  • And the suspension refurbishments mentioned below

2. and, our other problem... we're spending money like crazy!

All this stuff adds up, and it's hard to control the urge to "make if perfect" when inspecting each part. 

Sometimes we control ourselves, and sometimes we're a little too loose with the wallet - which leads to some interesting "contradictions" on this build. 

For instance:
  • To save money (and since a couple of CL160 exhausts got away from me on eBay) we decided to keep the stock exhaust and just remove the baffle tube.... yet we splurge on a $250 Scitsu tachometer
  • We spent close to $2000 on Kibblewhite parts, NOS 0.75 pistons, boring, and machine work - yet we're hoping the stock crank and rods hold up with just a good cleaning
- Chris

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 08:29:46 pm »
As I mentioned earlier, my friend and I really don't have any experience with CB160's... and we're no experts in the first place.

Our first guide was the GroupWRacing website: http://www.groupwracing.com/160building.html which was a lot of help,but is really only a starting point.

I tried three times to join the F-160 Yahoo group, but I guess the person administering the site didn't get my requests... or something, but I gave up trying to join.

Recently, I've gotten in touch with Denny Poneleit, who's giving us some good tips on tires, coils, oil-pump upgrade... and actually sells a book on building a CB160 race bike.  Hopefully mine will arrive soon.

Otherwise, we've just been relying on our current knowledge and whatever we can find on the web.

One thing we did notice after looking at pictures of other CB160 race bikes was cool looking ventilation holes in the front brake.  I have no idea how much this really helps prevent brake fade (which is what I assume it's for) - but it does look really cool :)

Again, my good friend - and crew chief - lends his skills to the task:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:31:19 pm by Kickstart »
- Chris

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 09:35:09 pm »
It sure does look cool.  I would have to think that cooling the shoes helps prevent fade.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 03:31:40 am »
Impressive project, Chris!

Good luck!

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 08:38:17 am »
Agreed this is a great project, you'll have a blast.

Thanks for the picture from Daytona too. I knew both Jim Allen & Lysight back in the day. Jim went on to work as Dunlop's motorcycle race tire guru for years.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 11:01:16 am »
I'm loving those brake-cooling holes: they are BIG compared to the ones we used (and, even our 3/4" holes worked well on SuperHawks). In the wet, they made the brake ineffective for a few turns (much like the stainless discs on our SOHC4 bikes), but then they grab(bed) again.

Can I send you a transistor ignition, or is that taboo to the rules? I think I might have a Single unit still on hand. It will solidly improve the spark and let you run a points gap of .010" for much better high-RPM sparks. If so, PM me your address?

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 11:15:38 am »
I'm loving those brake-cooling holes: they are BIG compared to the ones we used (and, even our 3/4" holes worked well on SuperHawks). In the wet, they made the brake ineffective for a few turns (much like the stainless discs on our SOHC4 bikes), but then they grab(bed) again.

Can I send you a transistor ignition, or is that taboo to the rules? I think I might have a Single unit still on hand. It will solidly improve the spark and let you run a points gap of .010" for much better high-RPM sparks. If so, PM me your address?

Thanks Mark,

It's definitely legal in AHRMA, and I believe in USCRA as well... if not it's easy enough to switch a few connectors.

I'll PM you.
- Chris

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 12:14:43 pm »

Thanks Mark,

It's definitely legal in AHRMA, and I believe in USCRA as well... if not it's easy enough to switch a few connectors.

I'll PM you.

One thing I was curious about was the performance of the points at higher RPMs.  It has a single point contact mounted off the cam, but the advance has two lobes. So if I'm at 12k, then that point is opening and closing at 12k as well... which seems like that's asking a lot for a mechanical switch. 

I can't remember if it was in one of your posts, or in your book, but I believe you mentioned somehow doubling up the spring on the points for the CB750 to help performance at high RPMs... would this also apply to the CB160?

Thanks,
Chris
- Chris

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 06:48:14 pm »

Thanks Mark,

I'll PM you.

One thing I was curious about was the performance of the points at higher RPMs.  It has a single point contact mounted off the cam, but the advance has two lobes. So if I'm at 12k, then that point is opening and closing at 12k as well... which seems like that's asking a lot for a mechanical switch. 

I can't remember if it was in one of your posts, or in your book, but I believe you mentioned somehow doubling up the spring on the points for the CB750 to help performance at high RPMs... would this also apply to the CB160?

Thanks,
Chris

It can, but I'm not very sure where you could get the springs? But, here's what DOES help:

On the non-moving points contact, you can vent them for more RPM. There's 2 ways you can do this:
1. take a fine-toothed jeweler's saw and cut a shallow "X" all the way across the contact face. Afterward, use some 200, then 400, then 600, then 800 (or finer) grit emery paper and wet-sand them shiny smooth again.
2. drill a small hole through the contact, dead center. then countersink the edges a bit and polish as above.
(A third thing: get a new condensor...)

In all cars prior to the "end of points" the better points came ventilated this way. In the legendary Ford 427 cu. in. SOHC engines that first appeared in 1963 for the 1964 Galaxie, the engines could (can) run well past 8500 RPM (with 4"+ pistons!) and the points could not close fast enough because air was getting trapped between the contacts. Ford did 2 things then: they ventilated the points contacts with a single hole thru the non-moving side, and added a Transistor Ignition (which I copied in 1972 as my first version), putting it into the Public Domain so any racer could use the schematic and build their own. The result: the distributor closes those points at 8500*(8/2)= 34000 RPM (if it was a CB160 this would be half, or 17000 RPM, equivalent). (By 1966 Ford made this w/o points, but all they did was add a magnetic trigger to the same circuit.)

The famous midget-car engines we helped with in IL during 1972-74 were the 750 sans tranny, with the oil pump driven off the camshaft via hand-made PTO shafts and gears. Those engines ran points with doubled-up springs, ventilated ground arms, 18 volt battery systems, OEM coils, and could reach 14,000 RPM (with lots of work!). Most of them were running 12,000 RPM consistently. We had to specially modify the spark advancers to reach the 14k versions. Since you won't have to run lights, hotwiring the Lighting Coil in the dynamo to "ON" all the time will help raise the bike's voltage, and you may even test without the Voltage Limiter to see just how high it can go? (This Transistor Ignition will run well up to 24vDC, no issues there.)

My Transistor Ignition technically has no "redline", but there are 2 things you will need to do when installing it:
1. Drill and tap a small hole into the points plate for the Ground wire. Use a points screw (2.5mm?) or similar size.
2. Run an extra ground from the the engine somewhere to the mounting bracket for the coils, i.e., an extra "ground strap". (Even a wire as small as 20 AWG is enough.)

These add-ons will ensure absolute tracking and close temperature-effect monitoring of the points, which will improve the spark at all RPM ranges.
;)

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 08:44:13 pm »
Thanks again for the tips Mark!

I know Jeff already sent this to you, but I wanted to share this with the forum.  While not doing this by hand (except for turning the jig), we decided to grind the grooves in our bearings as you mentioned in your book.

https://plus.google.com/photos/117350778488017445822/albums/6130351430638883697/6147038473146904418?pid=6147038473146904418&oid=117350778488017445822

Turns out the rotor tool would flex a little, but after making mutliple test cuts on an old bearing Jeff was able to cut these well within the tolerances you specified in your book.
- Chris

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2015, 09:08:29 pm »
Rats!
I can't see the video! Dang Windows...  >:(

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2015, 09:10:11 pm »
We've been making some good progress... Here's our first attempt and prepping for the engine reassembly:

But like any vintage build we've run into a few set-backs.

First set-back was realizing the small ends on my rods were toast.  I somehow overlooked this until doing a final cleaning and prep for reassembly when I noticed some scoring on one of the rod ends.  I can't seem to find the picture I took of... sorry.

I took the crank/rods to my machinist who was a little nervous about being able to sleeve it without disassembling the crank (the cb160 rods are one piece rods on a press fit crank).  Fortunately for me, my machinist happens to be friends with Albert Bold.  I didn't know Albert before last week... turns out Albert is an ace machinist, and has a passion for vintage racing.  His specialty is MV Agusta's, and he even made a vintage race bike that Giacomo Agostini took out for some parade laps at the 2013 Phillip Island GP. 

I feel quite fortunate to have met Albert, as I get the impression he's pretty selective about what jobs he takes.  One of the first things he said to me was "you know, I promised myself I wasn't going to take any new work for a while".  I think he may have a soft spot for fellow vintage racers, if I can call myself that now, so he did me a big favor and fixed up my rod ends super fast. 

I'm not sure how Albert did it, but he machined the ends with the rods still on the crank:

First set-back resolved :)

Oh, a good article I found on Albert:
http://thebikemuseum.com/master_docs.php?id=262

And his company:
http://www.boldprecision.com/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 09:16:29 pm by Kickstart »
- Chris

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 09:16:12 pm »
Rats!
I can't see the video! Dang Windows...  >:(

Hmmm... I was wondering if others could see it.  I use windows but maybe I can see it because I'm logged into my Google account.  We'll figure out how to get it working.
- Chris

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 09:37:06 pm »
OK... next set-back.

This one was due to my own stupidity.  Here's my nice polished hub, with brand new SKF bearings installed, new spokes and Excel Aluminum rims:

Only problem... I bought the wrong size rims!  :'(

These are 1.85 width, but I need 1.6 width to run the 2.5 tires.  I called Denny Poneleit, who suggested I could run the Avon Roadrider 90/90-18, saying there are some guys that do.  But I'm thinking that's too much tire for my bike to push around the track.  A lot of these guys bore out their bikes for AHRMA and I don't think my stock CB160, with just 3rd over pistons, will have enough hp for the 90/90 tires.

In Denny's book, he has a great tip for ordering the Aluminum rims for the 2004 Honda Dream CB50R straight from Honda.  I placed a rush order with Partzilla, and I should get them on Monday.  I'm bummed about spending all the money on the Excel rims, but I think I could use them down the road if we decide to build the CB350 race bike.

Kudos to Denny for the tip.  Those stock honda rims are a lot cheaper then ordering the shoulder rims from Buchanan (although those shoulder rims do look nice).

Oh... I got a lot of flack from my buddy for "wasting" time polishing the hubs, and boy did I spend a lot of time sanding to get out corrosion (which was a lot deeper than I originally thought)... but hey, there's a little showmanship expected at these vintage festivals and I'm happy to do my part :)

- Chris