Author Topic: Honda RC/CR style exhaust  (Read 11366 times)

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
Honda RC/CR style exhaust
« on: October 06, 2016, 04:35:04 am »
 If one wanted to replicate the sinuous, curving, Oh-so-sexy RC (or is the correct term CR?) style exhaust on a street bike, how would you go about doing that?
 I have dreams of running a baffled system like this on a CB550. The Benelli Quattro has a very similar exhaust, and there seem to be quite a few racer replicas, especially in Europe. There are even pipes listed in a parts list, but I haven't translated that page yet.

http://benellimotoclub.com/repuestos/piezas-parts/

Does anyone make exhausts, either complete or that would attach to the stock head pipes, that would replicate these?

(And this is from an RC166 toy model, but it really shows the sexy sweeping curves :)  )

'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Honda RC/CR style exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 04:46:12 am »
If you can duplicate those pipes on the red endurance race bike, I might give up a left nut for a set.

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 04:53:00 am »
 Yes.....killer machine!

'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 05:00:00 am »
 And lots of examples on this page .

Man, to have those curves on a street bike.....

« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:28:34 am by Scott S »
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 07:32:05 am »
If you can duplicate those pipes on the red endurance race bike, I might give up a left nut for a set.
I thought you already gave that one up?? ::) ;D ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:52:31 am »
And lots of examples on this page .

Man, to have those curves on a street bike.....

Am I crazy or is that a really sexy looking cb650 engine?  It actually looks like a cb650 frame.  That's a Honda playing dress up!
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 07:58:40 am »
Our very own RickyRacer was working on pipes like that a while ago.

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 08:14:17 am »
 I received a very prompt reply from Enrique at that Bennelli page. I inquired about a set that would fit a 500/550 and received this:

Hi Scott:
YES, I´ve manufactured a set of my curved Pasolini exhaust kit adapted to the Honda CB500-550 Four frame-engine especs. The Honda head is different to the Benelli head, with a different angle of the headers pipes and lenght. The Benelli frame and the design of fixing brackets must to be modifyed.
Generally I´ve sold several exhaust kits to Honda owners in the past (to UK, France and Germany) but they has then adapted to his personal especs of rear set pedals, fairing, ground clearence etc.
At this moment I can offer you a full set of the curved exhaust (identical to my Benelli pic) adapted to Honda frame and engine for 1500 USA dollars + shipping. The internal curved baffles are included in the price and they are removable, to be adapted to road or circuit use.
Delivery time is 2-3 weeks after receiving the 50% of the total price. The payment can be done by PAYPAL or by bank transfert.
Regards
Enrique Martinez
Benelli Club of Spain

And when I asked a little clarification:

Hi Scot:
The curved exhaust Pasolini replica is a complete kit from the head to the end of mufflers. Headers pipes+mufflers+internal silencers+brackets.
I can sell you only the curved mufflers+internal silencer + brackets and you can adapt to your cut head pipes. Then  the final price is 1250 USA dollars +shipping.
I´ll be very please if you can fit my curved Pasolini replica exhaust to your bike.
Regards
Enrique Martinez
Benelli Club of Spain

Expensive, but....man...I may just have to pony up when the time comes!!
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 08:15:46 am »
 I think the fully welded set is a bargain, when it comes right down to it.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 08:36:26 am »
I think the fully welded set is a bargain, when it comes right down to it.
I agree
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline NickO

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 08:44:28 am »
I received a very prompt reply from Enrique at that Bennelli page. I inquired about a set that would fit a 500/550 and received this:

Hi Scott:

At this moment I can offer you a full set of the curved exhaust (identical to my Benelli pic) adapted to Honda frame and engine for 1500 USA dollars + shipping.

I could have afforded a set of those until June 23 this year!!!  ::)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 09:43:50 am »
I thought you already gave that one up?? ::) ;D ;D

I have offered it, no takers! It feels like it's in a vise lately because of lower disc de generation and nerve pain. I'd like to be rid of the little bastard!!

Sorry Scott for the graphic interruption.

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 09:58:12 am »
Scott, I spent a year and a ton of phone time chasing down leads on possible makers in the US including makers of hydroformed bicycle frames, guys who had made these exhausts in the past but no longer did, and anyone else who might be capable... The only one I found was Rob North in Southern California and he was booked up on other projects for years. Finally went with my German friend, Thomas Quast, to a small maker in Switzerland. He produced three sets: one sold to Australia, one kept by Thomas for his ungoing Seeley project, and one set that I have. They were not hydroformed, which IMHO aren't smooth enough, but rather hand-bent. No, they're currently not for sale. My set are still slated for my long-term MV 861S/Magni/CB750 "tribute" project.

You can see videos of the pipes mounted and running on my old Read-Titan Daytona on classiccyclecity.com. They sound incredible!

Given the difficulty of doing these domestically and the cost of them in Switzerland, the deal in Spain doesn't look too bad. I believe that Menani also makes them in Italy but they are generic in size and shape so fitting them would be a catch-as-catch-can proposition. Good luck!

RR
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 10:04:06 am »
 The pic with the red and white bike looks like it used stock head pipes. I asked about that but they would still have to be fitted, welded, assembled, etc. That's not worth saving $250 over to me....since I can't weld.
 I'm seriously, seriously considering a set of these....even though I don't really have the money for them right now. Especially since they're baffled. The one or two similar (but not exact) sets I've seen have been race pipes with open megaphones.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 10:10:55 am »
Scott, I believe that Swarbrick Racing in England makes curved exhausts for the CB500/550 and that they have been used by at least one member of the forum. You might do a search. Since the British Pound is so depressed right now, it might be a good time to buy from Great Britain. Good luck.

RR
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 10:49:54 am »
 The prices seem much cheaper there (about $540 at today's exchange rates) but I think that's just for a set of silencers, not full pipes. AND....they're more straight, not with that sexy curve, which is the whole point, to me!
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 11:19:16 am »
You might want to call them, Scott, given the price differential. They do make curved meggas for twins and they might be able to do a full exhaust for the CB500/550 if you send them photos of what you're trying to accomplish. I would imagine that they'd find a ready market if they made them available in their line. If not, then I've told you of the difficulty I had in accomplishing the same thing. Good luck...

Maybe there is someone out there in "SOHC4 Land" who has the wherewithall to start building sets???

RR

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 05:37:01 pm »
Scott, I'm curious about weight. If by chance you're in contact again would you please ask what the weight is per pipe?

Offline ogsmakdade

• bike newb
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 03:43:57 pm »
That set of curved pipes are beatiful

Everyone thinks Chuck Norris is bad, but Chuck Norris has not meet Lucky either.  Lucky will round house kick Chuck back to 1969 and pop a wheel with the 1st sandcast while shotgunning a PBR!
My "build" http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126537.0

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 09:50:18 am »
That Red bike has been a favorite of mine for years.  I love the fuel tank, too.  Pure sex!!  The upswept 4-4 megas are beautiful.

I know that Lord Moonpie makes faithful CR750 pipes (with no upswept curve) but I am not sure if he also makes 500/550 pipes. 

1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 09:56:32 am »
Thanks, Fan! I have ONE set of Read-Titan Daytona tank and seats (two styles) available. The fiberglass material and work are under exclusive agreement by one of the highest-reputed makers in the US. If you're interested in discussing the set, just PM me. You're not that far away.

RR

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 10:01:28 am »
That Red bike has been a favorite of mine for years.  I love the fuel tank, too.  Pure sex!!  The upswept 4-4 megas are beautiful.

I know that Lord Moonpie makes faithful CR750 pipes (with no upswept curve) but I am not sure if he also makes 500/550 pipes. 

simon does not make exhausts , he did have a couple of sets made though . might be worth sending him a message to see who made them and how much

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 01:31:22 pm »
 Picked up the pipes from getting them ceramic coated. "Glacier Black" on the outside and a gold/green-ish coating on the inside that's a heat dispersant.

I also got a closer look at the pipes. They are really well made and each muffler, pipe and baffle is individually numbered.

Here's a look at the packing on the curved baffles.

And my guy did the hardware and hangers, too.

'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 02:34:08 pm »
Was your new exhaust made by Swarbrick?  What was the bottom line?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:37:06 pm by Rocketman »

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 02:47:27 pm »
 No, they are handmade by a guy that the President of the Benelli Club of Spain uses. He used a CB500 frame/engine for mock up. The pipes are $1250, and shipping was expensive, at ~$200. But they were at more front door in less than three days after making final payment!
 I used a local guy to ceramic coat them. They were sent to me in heat paint. He offers "electrostatic" coating, but says it VERY expensive in Spain.
 They offer SOHC and DOHC CB750 versions as well.

My actual pipes while under construction:

'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650