Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 138527 times)

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2018, 05:07:21 am »
Yep...6.5 litres of TD crap. >:(
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=kkiuse8h4sc26fei8665l72pk1&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2018, 05:15:36 am »
got a junghans ship vatch..from araund year 1900..it had a big job done in 1960 most bushings vas thanged..so it just need a klean up..and light lube..and klean up of the brass stuff....a nice hobby to fix this small Things..
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:20:03 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=kkiuse8h4sc26fei8665l72pk1&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2018, 05:17:39 am »
bit more
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
    • old japanese parts and bikes
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2018, 06:03:00 am »
I cleaned off another layer of snow from my cars. Does that count?
Laugh at least once a day.
Life  $ucks, then you die.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
God forces us to live with  non-believers to test our resolve.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2018, 09:44:55 am »
got a junghans ship vatch..from araund year 1900..it had a big job done in 1960 most bushings vas thanged..so it just need a klean up..and light lube..and klean up of the brass stuff....a nice hobby to fix this small Things..

That's really cool Strynboen.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2018, 10:49:54 am »
Bought a new one.
'bout 2 weeks ago I was in a wreck, and my 97 Bonneville was totaled.
I had already been searching for a new car, but the accident painfully sped up the process.
Picked up this '15 Optima with 23k mi.  Nice car.  Great gas mileage.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2018, 03:45:44 pm »
further update...i thought mrs spotty was going to rip me another new one when i told her about the dead g/box but she was remarkably calm about it all and suggested we fix it and sell it so i might actually get me a car i want instead of the clown car
i blame Terry

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2018, 11:26:55 pm »
Bought a new one.
I had already been searching for a new car, but the accident painfully sped up the process.

I hate to say it, but they're a great car, I hired one for a couple of weeks when I was working interstate and I couldn't believe how good it was to drive! Apart from running it into a low brick wall and messing up the front bumper a tad, it was great. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2018, 03:48:13 am »
well today my ever reliable 73 holden had a little hiccup,started it up to leave for work and it soughta sounded pretty feeble on the cranking,i stopped on the way to fill up and it was even more feeble on that restart start up,went to leave from work this arvo and it managed a half a turn over then spat the dummy,so the just over five year old battery died?HOW #$%*ING DARE IT!anyway I calmed down and bought another century from you beaut super cheap auto on the way home after jumping it at work,i always charge new batteries before use as they may be sitting a while before use?i always get one with 24 months warranty,then what I do as im a sneaky #$%* is take the car in after 20 months and say that battery is a bit #$%* house,so the pimple head kids breaks out the super duper computer battery tester that is designed to show a #$%*ed battery with an amazing paper print out etc ,so then when he says its #$%*ed mate do you want fries with that I mention its still under warranty I get a new one,even though it only carries the remainder of the warranty im fine with that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 03:53:38 am by dave500 »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2018, 04:01:01 am »
well today my ever reliable 73 holden had a little hiccup,started it up to leave for work and it soughta sounded pretty feeble on the cranking,i stopped on the way to fill up and it was even more feeble on that restart start up,went to leave from work this arvo and it managed a half a turn over then spat the dummy,so the just over five year old battery died?HOW #$%*ING DARE IT!anyway I calmed down and bought another century from you beaut super cheap auto on the way home after jumping it at work,i always charge new batteries before use as they may be sitting a while before use?i always get one with 24 months warranty,then what I do as im a sneaky #$%* is take the car in after 20 months and say that battery is a bit #$%* house,so the pimple head kids breaks out the super duper computer battery tester that is designed to show a #$%*ed battery with an amazing paper print out etc ,so then when he says its #$%*ed mate do you want fries with that I mention its still under warranty I get a new one,even though it only carries the remainder of the warranty im fine with that.

So Dave, why didn't you take you HQ battery back after 20 months mate? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2018, 04:09:26 am »
that's because that was an racq one that my mum got ripped of on!few years ago she rang me to say she has the racq coming out as her battery is flat and needs a new one,i said keep the old battery itll be ok,so they sold her a new battery(was the key reader #$%*ed up,ive since learned racq guys supply and sell their own batteries!)as they always do!i kept it handy as a spare and pressed it into use once my century from supercheap cheap died,i haven't paid for a battery in this car for I think 7/8 years?
with due respect for who ever makes these batteries they last long!but shame on the now contract racq guys who are quick to sell a battery that they buy then sell on!,this has happened to my mum twice now over the years!for what its worth I used to be the 24/7 on call marshall battery guy on the gold coast about 25 years ago.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:32:12 am by dave500 »

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2018, 04:55:26 am »
Ha,
same here. Bought a new battery for my  son's 2005 Corolla, put it on the charger and it has a dead cell.
Napa replaced it, but still, having to go through this is a pain.
This is the 2nd time in 3 years that a new battery has had a dead cell. The original battery in the Corolla lasted 10 years. The second battery lasted 3 years, but was bought in California (3,000 miles from here). Good thing I have a charger that lets me know.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2018, 05:08:09 am »
the general public is slowly being lulled into believing batteries will max out at 3 years or less!and in all honesty that's true for those who take short journeys say 15/20 minutes and back and don't charge their battery say once a year on a decent charger,every house hold aint got a charger and who the hell could be #$%*ed doing it anyway or understand it?a big plus for battery sellers?now that theres all these special computer controlled alternators to save the #$%*ing planet were all gonna need #$%*ing special batteries,and you watch,youll have a dodge one,a special chevy one etc,what a #$%*ing crock?"is my battery bad?no you need a new alternator my meter tells me so?thatll be $567 bucks its a water cooled one!WHAT?dont forget your saving the planet!

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2018, 07:10:38 am »
My kid has a WRX that a few years ago he installed a hi-perf header pipe which combined with it's factory mufflers gave the car a nice throaty but not obnoxious sound however he wanted more power so he ordered a full stainless exhaust system that cost him a pretty good chunk of money. He installed it a few weeks ago and it turned out to be so obnoxiously loud that after his first test drive with it he turned around, put it back on jack stands and put its factory exhaust back on it the same day. He was finally able to sell that shiny new exhaust on ebay which of course meant taking a big loss on his original purchase price.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2018, 08:53:30 am »
Bought a new one.

I hate to say it, but they're a great car, I hired one for a couple of weeks when I was working interstate and I couldn't believe how good it was to drive! Apart from running it into a low brick wall and messing up the front bumper a tad, it was great. ;D
That's what rental car insurance is for  ;) We dont feel so bad returning a rental SUV all beat-to-hell and dirty from a few days in the mountains on fishing trips.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2018, 03:30:05 pm »
Ha ha, yeah, sadly the company I worked for didn't pay the extra insurance (over here the extra insurance can double the daily rental cost) but I was lucky, it was pissing down rain when I arrived at the airport and the woman behind the counter wasn't going to walk out and take a peek. I shat myself a few days later when I saw an email from them in my inbox, but they were just thanking me for using their service, and there was no mention of any damage? Woohoo! Perfect crime! ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2018, 03:40:47 pm »
My kid has a WRX that a few years ago he installed a hi-perf header pipe which combined with it's factory mufflers gave the car a nice throaty but not obnoxious sound however he wanted more power so he ordered a full stainless exhaust system that cost him a pretty good chunk of money. He installed it a few weeks ago and it turned out to be so obnoxiously loud that after his first test drive with it he turned around, put it back on jack stands and put its factory exhaust back on it the same day. He was finally able to sell that shiny new exhaust on ebay which of course meant taking a big loss on his original purchase price.

Ha ha, I've got 3 Subaru's here, my old front wheel drive 1995 Liberty (Legacy in the US) came with a rorty pipe which sounds fantastic, my son's 2002 B4 twin turbo beastie has a nice sounding system too, but the minty 1995 all wheel drive Liberty I bought from a little old lady was too quiet, so I bought some nice headers and asked the mechanic to source a sporty exhaust system too.

He installed the headers but couldn't find me a complete system, (long story) so now I've got headers and a bone stock exhaust, which actually works fine, but is no louder than stock. No biggie though, I gave that car to my ma as her daily driver 3 years ago, she turns 90 this year, so when she stops driving I'll take it back and put a nice mellow sports exhaust on it. (and maybe a turbo too....... ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2018, 07:33:19 am »
Was lucky enough to drive this car all weekend.  Helped my buddy find and buy it and since he is on some beach in Mexico, I offered to take delivery of it being the good friend that I am! 
This car gets more attn than my bikes, I went to Ace Hardware to get screws to attach the license plate, four [separate] guys came up to talk about it...

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2018, 01:50:20 pm »
give me your clothes your boots and your Camaro!

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2018, 07:15:29 pm »
Played with the Weber on Beater today, I need to add an AFR gauge and do it the easy way.
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2018, 06:27:56 pm »
I put all 3 of my motorcycle batteries on trickle chargers....now if the snow would only melt.

My 2001 Corolla needed to be cleaned inside, per  the wife, so I thought about it. Does that count? :-)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2018, 03:19:45 am »
I had a new side window installed in my 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander, my daily driver. A lawn mowing crew broke my window a few weeks ago, and after "Windscreens Obrien" said they couldn't find a window for it I was lucky to score the only genuine Mitsubishi window left in Australia, then waited for them to come out and install it. Anyway, it's all done now, and in a couple of days I can take it through the car wash again, it's filthy! ;D

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2018, 04:18:27 pm »
my car gets washed once a year, whether it needs it or not
i blame Terry

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2018, 05:26:51 pm »
Once again, I did nothing but drive it...screw that boring 4 wheeled junk, the wheels have not fallen off yet.
If it works good, it looks good...

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2018, 06:33:11 pm »
I just received a call from my local Ford dealer to tell me that my leased car (that I hardly ever drive since I moved back from Canberra) is due for a major service, so I said yep, go for it, I need a new windscreen too, the good thing about car leases is that everything is already paid for, so no burning of the credit card required........ ;D