Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 168627 times)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #3575 on: July 18, 2024, 08:08:26 pm »
Good luck to you and your team at Mosport, one of my favorite tra is to watch racing...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3576 on: July 19, 2024, 07:08:27 am »
Full weekend at Mosport

Watch out for the Bog People!  Do they still come out there?

Great article here about the track, I did not know F1 raced there in the old days...

https://petrolicious.com/articles/the-circuit-of-mosport-and-memories-of-canadian-road-racing
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3577 on: July 19, 2024, 12:33:01 pm »
Steve….. the Canadian Tire Corp. has spent millions on the place. It’s every bit as civilized as Watkins Glen or Road Atlanta. “Big People” (all my ex friends) are too old to come out anymore!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3578 on: July 19, 2024, 12:33:47 pm »
Picked up fuel (there’s another row up front you can’t see) for the weekend!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3579 on: July 19, 2024, 12:35:32 pm »
Squeezed everything in…..

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3580 on: July 19, 2024, 12:37:21 pm »
“Loaded and locked”. Tim’s wife lends me her massive FORD diesel truck. I have to look in the mirror to make sure the trailer is still there! Weather looks good for the next few days too.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 12:39:10 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3581 on: July 19, 2024, 12:38:31 pm »
Quite a nice rig John.  :)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3582 on: July 19, 2024, 12:41:55 pm »
Quite a nice rig John.  :)

“King Ranch” FORD truck is mind boggling. Inside is nicer than my living room. Tim has a matching Chevy that he uses to pull the 5th wheel RV to the track. They get two new ones every 6-8 months (they have a car lot as part of the business). Usually flip them off to the US when the next one arrives and seem to break even or make a few bucks! Not for everyday, but I love using it on race weekends, such a beast!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 12:44:56 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #3583 on: July 20, 2024, 03:43:13 am »
Beautiful truck John. My "Baby" Ford truck gave me the first bit of trouble that I've had with it since I picked it up in May on Wednesday, when it threw the serpentine drive belt (what we used to call a "fan belt" up until a few years ago) only 5 minutes from home. It was 0515 in the morning and pitch black, and without power steering or an alternator, I only just managed to get home before the lights went out. When daylight hit I called the auto club expecting that the "technician" would just pick up another belt and install it for me, but no, he said that the radiator had to come out to replace it, so all he could do was call me a tow truck. Great.

I rang the shop that replaced the clutch in my Subaru to see if they were happy for it to be towed around to their shop, but Naidar told me that the shop was closed down because the bank was throwing all of the tenants out as they had plans to re-develop the site. He said that he was signing a lease for another shop close by and while he was waiting to move his 4 shipping containers of equipment into the new shop was doing "mobile mechanics" work and would come over that afternoon and install a new belt. He didn't show up so I rang him the next morning and he told me he'd be there at lunchtime, but didn't show up again. The next morning he sent me a message saying that he'd give me a call before he came over. Nice guy, but had too many balls in the air, so I told him that I'd pick up a belt and do it myself.

Friday, working from home was pretty quiet, so I drove over to Bursons to pick up a new belt. ($50, or about $35 USD) I drove home, and after watching a couple of Youtube video's I realised that the RACV "Technician" (because he isn't a mechanic's arsehole) was full of sh1t. Only had to remove two 10mm bolts and two self tappers to pull the thermo fans out of the way, giving me tons of room to remove the old belt.

Falcon ute 20 July 2024 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I couldn't decide why the belt had come off, but it looked pretty worn, so no biggie, sh1t happens. I installed the new belt, and fired it up. I then realised that the belt is running out of alignment on the oil pump (smooth) pulley, and is rubbing badly on the tensioner assembly. It was heart wrenching (well, maybe not that emotional, but it p1ssed me off) watching my new 50 dollar belt slowly tearing itself apart. Fcuk.

Falcon ute 20 July 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Turns out the harmonic balancer had let go. Looking at posts on various sites, and the amount of "how to" video's on Youtube, the harmonic balancer on my model Ford is only good for 100,000 miles or so before the bonded rubber "damper" material goes brittle and the assembly starts wobbling, and moving backwards and forwards, causing the drive belt to be misaligned, catching on the tensioner housing, and coming off. Bugger.

I rang the parts place and they'll have a new unit, plus the special puller tool that costs as much as the HB but allows you to remove it without removing the radiator, a new belt, and a new front crank seal (which apparently is a good idea to change while the HB is removed) by Monday afternoon, and the guy I spoke to was nice enough to give me a 20% "trade discount". Honestly I could have bought them cheaper on Ebay, but Bursons sell good quality non-OEM parts and stand behind their warranties, plus I need my little truck back on the road ASAP, so couldn't wait a week or more for parts off Ebay.

Drove the little twin turbo Subaru beasty yesterday and today and still love it, but don't trust it to drive to work in the city even in winter, as it has the occasional bad habit of boiling on me, particularly if it's in a traffic snarl, like it did a few months ago, when admittedly it was a lot warmer than it is at the moment. (one of my retirement jobs is to pull both heads and get them machined, then install new head gaskets, but as there's no oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil, I'm not in any rush, it just drinks coolant like I drink booze) I did give it the beans in second gear yesterday with 10 psi boost and I thought it was going to wheelie, it is a fun little license loser........ ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #3584 on: July 20, 2024, 03:14:32 pm »
 I put the new Holley fuel pump on the 40 chevy today, I needed the holley so I could index the inlet and outlet to miss the frame. It started right up, but still won't idle I may need to replace the old points distributor.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #3585 on: July 20, 2024, 04:15:11 pm »
I did a brake job on a car and put in one brake pad the wrong way.  I feel like an idiot. 

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3586 on: July 20, 2024, 05:31:13 pm »
 I found the top of the workbench, it was right where I left it. Under a bunch of stuff from my non-motorcycle vehicles. 
 I have a wiring job to do on my magnetic pickup distributor and then get the old one parked on #1 at 6* before TDC. I usually get the timing really close.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3587 on: July 20, 2024, 09:06:02 pm »
I did a brake job on a car and put in one brake pad the wrong way.  I feel like an idiot.

Hey, I have done that before  8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3588 on: July 20, 2024, 10:14:24 pm »

Hey, I have done that before  8)
  I remember on a GTO my nephew owned we realized we had the short shoes on one side and the long shoes on the other side.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3589 on: July 21, 2024, 12:45:46 am »
My vstrom has two different design brake pads on the front and  a third for the rear brake pads. So buying brakes for it is a first for me, having three different sets of pads for a bike.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #3590 on: July 21, 2024, 08:16:42 am »
For those wondering what Mosport is like, a couple of videos from my sidecar back in 2013.  What is really a shame is that the money wasn't spent to upgrade the track to F1 standards, and the move to Montreal.  Note that on the 3rd lap my right clip-on started moving.  From that point on I was driving with my left, and had lost the use of my front brake.  They say brakes only slow you down, just used the gears.  Finished 2nd
part 1 - part 2 -
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3591 on: July 21, 2024, 05:37:00 pm »
Great video Timtop! We ran well on Saturday, 5th in class and eighth or ninth over all. I started in the cool of the morning and after about 30 minutes the race was red flagged for about 20-25 minutes to clear oil from a blown motor in Corner Two. Spent over 2.5 hours in the car and set the fastest lap for the Team. The guys gave me a hard time as we got moved up a class as a result of those laps. Had a great BBQ with wives and friends that dropped in late in the day (our farms are 15 minutes from the track). We had a blast.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 08:38:47 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3592 on: July 21, 2024, 05:47:57 pm »
Sunday ended four hours in…….. The LF stub axle parted company from the main hub flange on the exit on Corner One. Alan managed to “grind” to a halt without any major damage. This corner has had a couple of good hits (last time at Mosport in the rain that’s the one I hit too). Looks like it’s been cracked for a while and it finally let go. Will order two new ones, next week for sure.

We raced off to Tim’s shop and managed to press together a used replacement with a new bearing and got back to the track in about 60 minutes. When we put the upright back in place we discovered  BOTH the tabs that secure the caliper had been bent sufficiently to misalign it to the disc, when the wheel/tire tried to escape. Attempted to straighten the top mount and it cracked. No spare upright (Toyota Supra part). Got it together enough to drive around the paddock and get it loaded….. Sometimes you have to know when to call it a day.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 08:39:56 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3593 on: July 21, 2024, 08:30:44 pm »
Thanks for sharing your track time John  8) :)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3594 on: July 22, 2024, 12:16:24 am »
wow lotta fun for sure!

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3595 on: July 22, 2024, 04:29:42 am »
Glad everyone came home safe and you had some fun. Sometimes things don't work out. Hopefully you can get the new parts and they will hold up. Might want to go through that corner with a fine tooth comb and use some dye on parts to check for other parts for cracks.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3596 on: July 22, 2024, 04:58:10 am »
Thanks All! We had a great time despite the early finish. A few of my laps on Saturday morning were the quickest we’ve ever been at Mosport, in the LEXUS, so all good. Upright, ball joint and tie rod end will all get replaced, for sure! We have a nice, long break to the next event, so the car may just sit for a few days…….
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 09:10:19 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3597 on: July 22, 2024, 07:33:08 am »
Thanks All! We had a great time despite the early finish.

I'd say all in all a good weekend at the track  [I miss my weekends at the track]

BTW - The "King Ranch" Ford truck edition is named after the King Ranch in South Texas, one of the largest ranches in the world at 825,000 acres.

Tintop - great video! Thx for sharing
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #3598 on: July 22, 2024, 09:31:34 am »

That's OK: I just took that one out of my motorhome's front brakes. I can't believe I drove it over 10k miles with someone having done that to it before I got it?!

Next, I have to figure out why putting the RIGHT amount of tranny oil in my Explorer makes it throw a P0715 alarm (bad input RPM sensor), but putting almost a quart more in it will STOP that alarm.
???
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #3599 on: July 23, 2024, 03:59:44 pm »
Thanks All! We had a great time despite the early finish.

I'd say all in all a good weekend at the track  [I miss my weekends at the track]

BTW - The "King Ranch" Ford truck edition is named after the King Ranch in South Texas, one of the largest ranches in the world at 825,000 acres.
Thanks All! We had a great time despite the early finish. A few of my laps on Saturday morning were the quickest we’ve ever been at Mosport, in the LEXUS, so all good. Upright, ball joint and tie rod end will all get replaced, for sure! We have a nice, long break to the next event, so the car may just sit for a few days…….
Tintop - great video! Thx for sharing

Thanks Stev-o it was a lot of fun racing the sidecar.  Something I never thought I'd do.  I wonder how many other people can say they raced both cars (70 Lotus Mk2 Cortina) & a sidecar at Mosport.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread