Author Topic: Question for Deltarider  (Read 3751 times)

Offline jgger

• Master
Re: Question for Deltarider
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2023, 11:06:46 am »
The US is actually ranked 50th in terms of freedom, the Netherlands at #9. But do carry on.

Interesting statement, not that it has anything to do with unsellable automobiles,  and this thread is probably headed to "thread jail". But who did the ranking and what were the metrics of this study?

Freedom House, although there are several others that do the same kind of aggregating, such as the Economist's Democracy Report (freedom and level of democracy are often intertwined).

https://freedomhouse.org/countries/freedom-world/scores?sort=asc&order=Total%20Score%20and%20Status

The site has notes about methods and sources. The US has been declining for the past decade or so, and it's hard not to acknowledge some of the changes that have resulted in lower rankings.

Thank you, I will have to look it up later. Thanks for the link.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2023, 11:41:25 am »
The US has been declining for the past decade or so, and it's hard not to acknowledge some of the changes that have resulted in lower rankings.
While I read that report and their metrics, much of it I disgreee with, I do agree with this statement by you. I think the decline is longer-standing than a decade, really it started downhill more quickly shortly after 2001. A very dangerous precedent was set by politicians then, and is only gaining more and more steam daily.

Sad times globally indeed. We need more european auto imports to assuage our disappearing liberties!  ;)
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2023, 12:37:12 pm »
bloody hell this thread went down hill fast , i was just going to add how much i loved my 504 pickup .
Shame that more of them didn't come to the US. Reputation is they were great little cars. Had a 405 that was an absolute dream. Saddened me when it came to move on from it.

Peugeot, right?  French cars never made the grade here in the States for whatever reason, I know very little about them.

Back to chrome bumpers, my "ol Chevy" has them!!

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2023, 02:01:04 pm »
bloody hell this thread went down hill fast , i was just going to add how much i loved my 504 pickup .
Shame that more of them didn't come to the US. Reputation is they were great little cars. Had a 405 that was an absolute dream. Saddened me when it came to move on from it.

Peugeot, right?  French cars never made the grade here in the States for whatever reason, I know very little about them.

I loved my '65 and '68 too. Never much of a fan on the >'71 models... They became (for me) too obese and "nosey". But they never failed in the D8 B8 category  ;D Although my 911 did a bit better in that department.  ;)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2023, 03:14:03 pm »

I loved my '65 and '68 too. Never much of a fan on the >'71 models... They became (for me) too obese and "nosey". But they never failed in the D8 B8 category  ;D Although my 911 did a bit better in that department.  ;)

Mine is a '70, I think you may mean '73, that is when they lost the front chrome bumpers due to U.S safety standards.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2023, 03:18:40 pm »
Yeah, the ‘72 had split front bumper. Lost their appeal then, but you’re right, the ‘73 onward were much less elegant.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2023, 03:48:37 pm »
The US is actually ranked 50th in terms of freedom, the Netherlands at #9. But do carry on.

You are funny.  What are you smoking?

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
Re: Gang-bang on Deltarider
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2023, 03:50:54 pm »
CalJ, you're very proud of yourself. You may be intelligent, perhaps well read, and well traveled but you're still a smug prick who can't get along with others. You appear believe that you're better than others, but the fact that you stoop to calling others names like "dolt" and "asshat", coupled with your bragging, points to the fact that you are a very average keyboard warrior, with very little to share other than contempt.

Seeing you join in on the gang-bang on Deltarider is absolutely expected. Nobody cares how special you are but you. So you have a bit of knowledge in certain areas, but are you really that great? I think you're just another self-proud jerkoff who doesn't make contributions without just a little spite in your tone. You should go look at yourself in the mirror and masterbate instead of prattling on here. That guy is who you should deal with.

Make no mistake, Cal, you're a wimp who deals with people online. Period.

Deltarider is a quirky fellow. So am I. So are a lot of you. But the gang-bang is pussy-style.

Did you skip your medication today? 

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2023, 03:52:32 pm »
Americans always ramble on about freedom but constantly fight to take it away from each other.

You better just shut up now. 

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2023, 04:29:02 pm »

Hella weed, bro.

But I actually posted a link, have a look before you get yer stars and stripes undies in a bunch. Cantankerous Cal actually agreed so this might be one where you're on your own.

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2023, 05:16:40 pm »

Hella weed, bro.

Of course you are. i never doubted that.  Enjoy. 

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2023, 07:28:15 pm »
Cantankerous Cal actually agreed so this might be one where you're on your own.
Correction, chicken, I agreed with your statement. I said I didn’t agree with the report in the link.

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2023, 07:46:47 pm »
Correction, chicken, I agreed with your statement. I said I didn’t agree with the report in the link.

The Freedom House was actually considered a conservative oranization (and had a heyday in the anti-commie period -- although it opposed McCarthyism) and had, IIRC, Dick Cheney on its board for a while.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2023, 08:30:16 pm »
Thanks for the PM, Scottly. I had missed it. Two cars came into my mind instantly and - to be honest - the first example is not a very good one. Have a look at the Citroën in the pic. Believe it or not, that flying saucer was launched in 19.....55! I remember having read somewhere in the 60-70s that Citroën complained about low sales figures in the US and they used to say they should have put more chrome on them to arrive at better results.

No amount of chrome would have increased the sales of the Citroen: that would only be putting lipstick on a pig. ;) They did have some neat features, but they were as attractive as a mud fence. ;D
Your previous statement about how we wouldn't buy cars with only four cylinders because we would be embarrassed could not be further from the truth. We bought MGs, Triumphs, Austins, Renaults, Fiats, etc, and more than any other European brand, Volkswagens.
My family's car growing up in the '60s was a 1959 VW bus. My dad set it up as a camper for all seven of us to sleep in, and it hauled us from California to Colorado and back more than once, as well as a trip to the Seattle Worlds Fair.
Early air-cooled VWs are still quite popular here, even more than SOHC Hondas. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2023, 08:40:45 pm »
[quote [/i]author=carnivorous chicken link=topic=193754.msg2263538#msg2263538 date=1697770007]

The Freedom House was actually considered a conservative oranization (and had a heyday in the anti-commie period -- although it opposed McCarthyism) and had, IIRC, Dick Cheney on its board for a while.
[/quote]
I don’t assess the quality of the data based upon consideration of political affiliation. I base it upon their methodology and the results they arrive at. Their “score” is completely subjective and doesn’t measure real factors beyond assertions of political representation and access (in many categories). It’s not a qualitative report in my view, which is why I said I disagree with aspects of it.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2023, 08:47:29 pm »

The worst van designed ever imo, was the VW van. From a designer's point of view, everything was wrong with it. Not many know this, but the VW van was designed by a Dutchman.
What was so wrong with the VW bus?? And you are saying it was a Dutchman that #$%*ed up the design?
If you were in Arizona last month, your could have attended the annual Jerome Jamboree, a gathering of VW bus fans from near and far. One year there were a couple of guys from your part of the world with an raised-top ambulance conversion, which was extremely rare.   
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2023, 08:49:25 pm »
[quote [/i]author=carnivorous chicken link=topic=193754.msg2263538#msg2263538 date=1697770007]

I don’t assess the quality of the data based upon consideration of political affiliation. I base it upon their methodology and the results they arrive at. Their “score” is completely subjective and doesn’t measure real factors beyond assertions of political representation and access (in many categories). It’s not a qualitative report in my view, which is why I said I disagree with aspects of it.
[/quote]
Knock it off, DAMMIT. >:( >:(

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2023, 08:52:55 pm »

I had a 504 too. Lovely car, first one I ever owned with a sun roof!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2023, 03:35:11 am »
#$%* this #$%* man,just give me a #$%*IN CAMARO!

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2023, 04:22:52 am »
 Forum Rule # 9. No Politics.

Let's stay on topic so this thread doesn't get locked. Keep your personal attacks relegated to PM's. Nobody wants to hear that crap here.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2023, 06:00:20 am »
French cars were very prone to rust very quickly.

Citroen has designed fantastic cars with new functionality very early.
I had a friend that talked proudly about his fathers more luxuary Citroen CX 1977.
But the doors got huge holes before 5 years.

A friend had a Citroen GS 1980 something with leaking suspension oil that made breathing as a hazard inside car. It dropped on hot parts, smoking.

Pegeuot  often strange electrical gremlins as I have heard.
The old Renault truck seen in funny French movies and Pink Panther movie with Peter Sellers another historical car.
Citroen 2CV another.

Our european cars in the 50's, 60's and 70's very simple and boring compared with the US cars spaceship design with a nice V8.

Muscle cars another thing.
Camaros, Mustangs, Firebirds, Corvettes, Oldsmobile 442, Pontiac GTO, Challengers and Chargers etc etc most young guys favourites around here.

Too many EU cars of the 60's looked like the DDR Trabant ;)

The newer Peugeots look really nice.
Their 508 SW PSE Sport Engineered (Hybride)
Would be nice to get free of charge!!

Do not forget Henry Ford and his successfull production model copied by all other car manufacturer,  made in da USA!!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 07:02:14 am by PeWe »
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2023, 07:00:48 am »
#$%* this #$%* man,just give me a #$%*IN CAMARO!

My good friend had a '72 Camaro when he turned 16 years old, it was his Mom's and she gifted it to him, remember spinnin off the road one rainy night, but luckily no damage.
[his family loved cars, two sisters drove MG's, another had a '72 Mustang and his Dad a Ford LTD].

Still love those second generation Camaros, especially with the front split CHROME bumpers!!

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2023, 07:10:53 am »
A guy I knew had a 1973 Camaro 350, bronze early 80's.
A year later, black with much wider wheels, especially rear with widened fenders and a  modified 454 engine. Not only a roaring sport exhaust system.
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2023, 03:13:03 pm »
I have a childhood friend who's dad had immigrated from Germany and from my friends dad's point of view, if it wasn't a Mercedes it wasn't worth keeping. I'm sure that opinion can be debated but my friend's dad did have some cool cars when we were growing up. My favorite was a 300 SL roadster, he also had a 69 600 that was the size of a small limo and lastly a 69 Unimog which he actually still has.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2023, 10:31:00 pm »
Could probably argue some cost:benefit analysis was done. 
Would it be worth it to them to produce a whole vehicle for american market vs providing component parts to American automakers.
Jeep Cherokee XJ's had 5 speed manual transmissions sourced from Peugeot.
75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
76/78 XS750 Oscar the Grouch
07 FJR1300; Lydia
05 YFZ450/470 Stroker (sold)
73 Norton Commando 850 Cafe
99 Roadstar Silverado (rebuild)
Certified Harley Davidson Tech