Author Topic: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.  (Read 45951 times)

Online Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Re: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2024, 05:48:56 am »
Well, we have lucked out today and we are at a balmy 10f and not the 0f predicted with a stiff breeze taking wind chills way down in the dangerous range. Almost all schools are closed today, maybe the school busses won’t start, or the furnaces don’t work, I dunno. But the NWS has issued a wind chill alert… my anemometer is showing 0mph.
 The nasty weather came Friday night in the form of wet snow followed by light rain followed by the deep freeze. Good thing we stayed on top of it Friday, you could hear and see the trees breaking branches from the snow load, and the sky would light up when the branches touched the power lines… quite a show, but too many in the dark (and cold). Here on Tuesday morning still 1000 without electricity, no fun.

I’m 6 1/2 yrs retired now, happy to be able to have a cup of coffee in peace and not face a 20 foot ladder climb every day with hundreds of pounds of test equipment. We are not hitting home runs here (no world tours), but I am getting more Honda seat time, seeing the grandkids more, playing the guitar more (badly).
I worked too much OT over the years, and don’t need to work these days.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
    • https://vintage.dennisball.us
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2024, 07:41:52 am »
...  Yeah, I know...it is a strange post, if you dismiss it as BS if you want, but I can tell you it isn't BS. ...

Hey David, I can attest that it's not BS.  I used to have a dozen things going all at the same time, but after losing my wife of 40 years and being diagnosed with cancer in a 3 month period I got seriously depressed.

I was lucky that I had some really good friends that got me pointed in the direction to get help.  I'll probably never get back to my old self, but I'm so much better than I was seven years ago.

Good to hear that you have found things that work for you.  If you're like me, time on the bike is therapy.  Time working on the bike is the next best thing!  I'm looking forward to some good weather here in Ohio. 
Dennis...  74 CB550  79 CBX  82 Seca Turbo  2011 CBR  2012 NC700X

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2024, 10:20:56 am »
I think you have to find a reason to get up in the morning. 

I'm not retired, but I'm fortunate that I am self-employed and work from home.  I can take time off whenever I want (69 rides).  Two-wheeled therapy is great!
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2024, 10:30:11 am »
Hey Bud, I have a destination for one of your rides. It's right next door to you.............sorta. Check out the name!
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2024, 10:47:40 am »
Hey Bud, I have a destination for one of your rides. It's right next door to you.............sorta. Check out the name!
Oh, yeah.  I founded that town in 1843, and another one just south of Austin the following year called “Buda”.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2024, 11:10:56 am »
Well it’s in the 70’s as I tap this into my phone at 6am, sitting in the rose garden with a coffee and cigarette, admiring the close to 200 year old architecture of the oldest military barracks in Victoria. The good thing about this job is that I start at 6 and go home at 2pm, so miss the peak hour traffic. There’s a storm about to hit though with lots of rain coming, so I’m glad that I drove my car and am not on a bike today. The weather should clear up by the weekend, so I should get ride #5 in on Saturday or Sunday. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2024, 03:55:30 pm »
Ride #2, 63 miles.

Just a quick ride up to Llano for a fill up.  The only real excitement was getting up close to some longhorns.  They were just on the other side of a cattle guard as I approached.  I had that spotted big girl's attention until she got tired of me trying to dig my phone out my pocket and she crossed the road in front of me.  I had to give her a couple of loud "whoop!"s to get her attention again and smile for the camera.

The weather here as been cold, as I mentioned.  Lows in the low-teens every morning since Sunday.  We didn't break 32F until yesterday afternoon, as some warm winds were blowing in from the south.  They were whipping last night.  It got loud.  It was about 36F when I got up this morning and it was warming quickly.  I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get out today though.  Had a little hiccup.  I wiped down the bike around 10:00am, then I went to start it, mostly so I could see how many miles I had on the trip meter.  The bike wouldn't start.  The lights came on and so did the fuel pump, but then the click-click-click...  Weak battery.  I grabbed the charger and tried again after about 20 minutes, when the light turned green.  It attempted to start, but wasn't getting fuel fast enough, and click-click-click.  After another 30 minutes I tried again, and it started fine.  I let it idle for about 10 minutes, then shut it off and put my gear on.  I went and found my spare key and tossed my jumper cables into a saddlebag.  I figured if it would start again, which it did, I was either prepared to not shut off the engine when I got to Llano, or if I did shut it off and it wouldn't start again, I could at least get a jump.  I needed the extra key to open the locking gas flap if I left it running...same key for the ignition and the gas flap.  I ended up leaving it running at the gas station, and then rode back home.

After I ungeared myself at home I started the bike again, just to see if it would.  It was acting fine.  I hope it was just a little voltage drop from the freezing weather and that I don't need a new battery.  It's the OEM battery, which is about 2.5 years old now.  I've seen on some groups that the OEM batteries are cheap AGM batteries and they don't last long.  I hope it's OK, for now.  I can't afford a new battery right now.  I'm going to hook up the trickle charger in a bit.  It's supposed to get cold again tonight, but only to the high 20's for the next few days, then a bunch of rain.

Today was a fluke.  High of 74F, but what a beautiful day and a welcomed change from the cold.  Fine riding weather, if only for 63 miles.

I don't know if I'll be able to get another ride in this month, but if the weather presents an opening, I'll take it.

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention I got pulled over in the truck yesterday afternoon heading to the post office.  There are basically two ways to get to town from my crib.  I took the rout that gets me to the west side of town first, which is where the post office is.  Once I hit the highway the speed limit is 70mph.  I had the truck on cruise at 72.  As a got closer to town I missed seeing the sign that said the speed had dropped to 50mph.  I was coming up close to another truck that was only doing 45 and was getting frustrated...then I saw the lights behind me.  I pulled over and so did the cop SUV behind me.  A human exited, who was short and round with a cold weather beanie on their head.  I couldn't make out whether they were male or female.  When they got to my truck and told me I was "doing 74 in a 50" and began asking me questions it quickly became obvious that they were indeed male.  He looked like he was 16 years old and had not begun to shave yet.  I told him I was on my way to the post office and didn't see the sign, as I usually don't take that route to town.  He disappeared with my license to his vehicle and after about 30 seconds he reappeared and gave me a warning.  Way cool!  I can't afford a ticket, or defensive driving and court costs right now, either.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 04:17:30 pm by budman »
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2024, 04:11:09 pm »
Well done Bud, I’m hoping to get another ride in tomorrow, the weather forecast changes daily and tomorrow wasn’t looking great but it’s turned around 180 degrees since yesterday so hopefully it’ll be good. The first battery in my Triumph lasted 8 years, the second (a cheap Ebay orange battery) didn’t last a year, so I swapped in the black Motobatt that has been in my Sportster since 2016, and it’s still going strong, even though it’s never been near a trickle charger. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2024, 04:21:41 pm »
I just edited my post with another story about getting pulled over.  You'll enjoy it, Terry.

I've had good luck with two Antigravity Lithium batteries, one in my bobber and one in my '74 CB750  Cafe.  If/when I need a battery, I will probably get one of those.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2024, 04:28:16 pm »
I just edited my post with another story about getting pulled over.  You'll enjoy it, Terry.

I've had good luck with two Antigravity Lithium batteries, one in my bobber and one in my '74 CB750  Cafe.  If/when I need a battery, I will probably get one of those.

Well done with that mate, over here that would be very close to having your vehicle confiscated for a month, the cops here are red hot. I’ve never tried a lithium battery, I know there’s one somewhere in my Ducati, it’s been dead flat for over a year, do I need a special charger to attempt to recharge it? ;D

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2024, 04:39:44 pm »

Well done with that mate, over here that would be very close to having your vehicle confiscated for a month, the cops here are red hot. I’ve never tried a lithium battery, I know there’s one somewhere in my Ducati, it’s been dead flat for over a year, do I need a special charger to attempt to recharge it? ;D

I can't remember what they say about a special charger.  I think it's one of those "highly recommended" things, because they want to sell you a charger too.  I don't think I ever had to charge the ones I had.  They say they will hold a full charge for a year.

The Tiger I sold back in August would drain the battery in a month unless it was on a trickle charger.  It had too much tech that needed constant power to it.  It would have enough power after a month to light things up, but not start it.  I kept it on a trickle for the last year I had it.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2024, 04:44:21 pm »
Yeah I’m wondering if leaving the ignition key in the ignition (switched to “off”) somehow caused it to go flat, it’s my first Ducati in 35 years, so I’m wondering if their electronics have improved since then? I’ll do some googling and see if I can recharge it with a regular battery charger or if it’s cheaper to replace the battery. ;D

Online Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2024, 04:28:42 am »
I had the truck on cruise at 72.

I use my cruise to try and stay out of trouble, once it got me in trouble.
The River Rouge PD is on Coolidge every day, waiting for speeders at the RR underpass. The High School is just beyond the RR underpass and they insist on 25mph. Just upstream in Detroit the limit is 35 mph, not enforced, but the road is so bad that you’ll ruin your suspension if you catch a hole. There is a traffic light that  separates the 25 and 35 zones and it’s timed very well so you have to stop every time you enter River Rouge on the way to Great Lakes Steel (now closed)…. And reset the cruise to 25 for River Rouge.
 So I’m rolling down Coolidge in Detroit on cruise at 35mph and I roll through the…. green?!?!? into River Rouge at 35mph. Something’s not right I slam on the brakes not 200 feet into River Rouge but it’s too late, the officer is on me. I was just a couple months short of retirement, I have driven there so many times over 40 years, but there is no mercy for me this day. A $200 retirement tax from River Rouge.
 40 years on the job driving about 20000 miles per year, one ticket, no fenders or bumpers bent. I’m good with that.

The weather has turned for the worse here, snow shoveling daily exercise, no thaw. I’m happy to hear that you all are enjoying some milder weather and getting some seat miles.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2024, 02:07:01 pm »
Yep, I’m paying off a $385 (about $250 USD) fine currently for doing 73 KPH (45 MPH) in a 60 (35MPH) zone at 5.13 am back in July last year. Virtually no traffic that time of day and I’d just turned out of another street with a 70 KPH limit when I went past a mobile speed camera car. It sucks, so I’ve now fitted a cheap GPS speedo that sits on the dash of each car with a big illuminated digital display to remind me to slow down. Ironically it’s the only car I owned with cruise control and yet the only one I’ve been booked for speeding in. Such is life….. ;D

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2024, 05:23:00 pm »
I had the cruise on 72, but the cop said I was doing 74.  I might have been going downhill when he clocked me.  My truck will coast down a hill way faster than what the cruise is set at sometimes depending how steep the hill is.  I'm sure some of these cops will park at the bottom of hills for this reason.  I don't bother adjusting the cruise speed with my thumb.  I try to save gas by keeping my foot off the gas and the brake when I'm on these highways.  I whip around some curves without braking if I don't have to.  I don't mind pulling a few G's as long as the tires aren't squealing.

I remember about 10 years ago we were leaving town on vacation, and I got pulled over.  The cop asked me if I knew what the speed limit was.  There was a speed limit sign literally 30 feet in front of me.  I said, "that sign says 65".  In a pissed off voice he said, "Back there!  What's the speed limit back there?", as he was pointing behind me.  I was laughing inside...I said I didn't know.  He said I was doing 65 in a 50 and gave me a ticket.

I know they have to put up with a lot of BS from people.  I try to act as non-threatening as I possibly can.  Seems to have worked these last two times.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 05:24:37 pm by budman »
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2024, 05:55:49 pm »
My best was going up I 5 on a borrowed K2 just after they made a state wide change to 55 mph max. It was early morning just over the Grapevine, the road was layed out using a cannon, I think. Straight and flat for miles and no traffic, except for the CHP that was comming up the onramp I just passed. I was belly on the tank and going about 105 mph. He chased me for maybe 5 or 6 miles and I didn't even know he was there. I kept seeing a dot WAY back there and it was staying with me, so I started slowing in 5 mph increments. Finally he caught up to me and turned on the reds, by then I was only going about 70. He told me he could take me to jail for the speed I was going but didn't want to screw with the paper work. Wrote me for 65 in a 55 which I was happy to autograph. As it turns out he also had a 750 at home, so we B. S'd for about 45 minutes while he admired my buddy's bike. He kept asking how fasti was really going, but I wouldn't tell. Finally after we shook hands on an agreement that he wouldn't pull out the ticket book, I fessed up to 105 mph. He said that's about what he figured, we had a laugh and he told me to be careful. I paid that one immediately after the notice came in the  mail !
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2024, 01:40:23 am »
Ride 3 ......done! I'm going to try to keep pace with Terry and Budman this year and have been itching to get out. The weather was just a bit cloudy but the temperature was good plus I had another one of my half baked plans for a destination, so what the heck!

Got a late start, around 2:00 and couldn't remember when I last filled the tank (part-timers, I guess) so aimed for the gas station. After puttinga whole gallon in the bike, I was off. I pointed myself toward Ortega Hwy and took the back roads there because the Friday afternoon traffic was just beginning.  Stopped at the Lookout for a quick pic then on about another 5-6 miles to the rest area. Because there was so many cars comming the opposite direction I practiced staying away from the centerline in the turns, you never know when one of those cagers is going to take their half out of the middle. Anyhoo, after a short break I figured I would see if my favorite Pastrami place was open ( about another 25 miles away) and down the mountian I go. Took the back way around Lake Elsinore to the town of Murrieta, crossed over 2 freeways and saw that the Hat was still open, woohoo! Since it was getting close to dinner time, I called the wife to see if she had any plans for the evening. She said she was going to grab a bite with a friend, so I told her where I was and was going to eat there. She called me some kind of expletive because she was jealous of what I was about to consume ( she likes that place too). My original plan was to go there for lunch, but a 2 o'clock start would have made it a 3 o'clock lunch so my little run up the mountian made it a perfect afternoon/evening ride and # 3 is in the books.

Stats; start temp 72° f/ 22° c
            End temp 64° f/ 18° c
             Total distance 87 mi/ 140 km

And............the pics.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 01:46:55 am by jgger »

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2024, 02:56:26 am »
What a tasty ride jgger! ;D ;D
I should have brought those tasty looking leftovers in a doggy bag back home or for another stop ;)
Reminds me about last summer vacation in Greece with meaty Gyros.

I feel a little bit handicapped, not be able to ride until mid April if lucky. Last season ended 1 week into October.

I have to document more of my rides to keep up with you guys and manage 24 rides in this thread.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2024, 03:32:48 am »
My best was going up I 5 on a borrowed K2 just after they made a state wide change to 55 mph max. It was early morning just over the Grapevine, the road was layed out using a cannon, I think. Straight and flat for miles and no traffic, except for the CHP that was comming up the onramp I just passed. I was belly on the tank and going about 105 mph. He chased me for maybe 5 or 6 miles and I didn't even know he was there. I kept seeing a dot WAY back there and it was staying with me, so I started slowing in 5 mph increments. Finally he caught up to me and turned on the reds, by then I was only going about 70. He told me he could take me to jail for the speed I was going but didn't want to screw with the paper work. Wrote me for 65 in a 55 which I was happy to autograph. As it turns out he also had a 750 at home, so we B. S'd for about 45 minutes while he admired my buddy's bike. He kept asking how fasti was really going, but I wouldn't tell. Finally after we shook hands on an agreement that he wouldn't pull out the ticket book, I fessed up to 105 mph. He said that's about what he figured, we had a laugh and he told me to be careful. I paid that one immediately after the notice came in the  mail !

Great story!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2024, 12:54:01 pm »
Thanks Jim, nice ride, and that food looks delicious! I didn’t get a ride in yesterday as I was putting a CB750 bottom end together for a guy, and by the time I finished it was too late. Today Spotty and I will be busy refurbishing my bike trailer so it looks like I won’t get a ride in until next weekend. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2024, 01:14:52 pm »
Nice sandwich jgger! Like Kevin and Per we are snowed in solid. Around here we’ll be lucky to be out by mid April. My buddy Gary and I (he was here for a “shop day” yesterday) did get out for a great lunch at one of our usual ride stops. I’m definitely logging in here this year. You guys are having too much fun!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2024, 01:27:15 pm »
Welcome aboard John, it’ll be great to see your rides with pics from Canada, I don’t think we’ve had any Canadian riders here since Frank passed. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2024, 02:39:15 pm »
Welcome aboard John, it’ll be great to see your rides with pics from Canada, I don’t think we’ve had any Canadian riders here since Frank passed. ;D

Terry….. Great! Part of the problem is that since I quit working, I divested myself of everything that “kept me connected”. I actually move around without a phone or GPS and have started using these really cool paper maps! It really scares the people I meet!

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2024, 02:56:12 pm »
Well it seems I picked the best day for a ride for a few days. Woke up this morning to rain and it hasn't stopped for about 5 hours. Checked the weather and it looks like we are in for more of the same until Monday or Tuesday,  so 3 or 4 days of the sky leaking. SHUCKS!

Per, not to worry, the leftover sandwich was tagged-bagged & came home with me. The Hat has been serving that sandwich for at least 70 years and it is their trademark offering.

I hope my rides and stories will be an inspiration for others to join in, as soon as it thaws out.

Online Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2024, 04:38:27 am »
John I’m looking forward to your ride reports. It’s always a treat to see in your garage.

Jgger, your ride reports are right on target. That pastrami had my mouth watering.

Per, you have lots more snow than here. My weather station says 12f (-11c) this morning. The cold sorts out the good batteries from the shaky ones. A garaged car is preferred, and my ‘07 Impala daily driver, parked outside, is now suffering the indignities of the weather. 

Terry, you are a terrific builder and trader.

Bud, I think you are going to find out what that Indian is made of.

Dennis, I am going to try and get your way in ‘24 for a couple days in Ohio.
Of course, Michigan is not too popular in Ohio amongst Buckeye fans just now.

no mercy for me today

There has been plenty of officer mercy for me over the years, as well as many citations in my early years, mostly on the K0.

The Philip R Clarke was the last ship to lock through the Soo this season. The locks will be down for maintenance until spring. The PRC is about to enter the St Clair river on its way to winter layup in Toledo.
It’s loaded with iron ore for a mill in Conneaut? Ohio.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 06:09:28 am by Kevin D »
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-