Poll

Why do you like louder pipes?

I just like the sound that way, LOUD!
It lets the engine breath better and can actually increase HP if done with proper jetting, air intake mods, etc...please explain.
Aftermarket pipes look better.
I just wanna mod my motorcycle to make it custom.
Loud pipes get attention, and demand respect.... loud pipes save lives.
None of the above, I like a stock exhaust. please explain.
I wish I could afford a stock set! (if they are even available!)

Author Topic: Why do you like louder pipes?  (Read 16524 times)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
Re: Why do you like louder pipes?
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 10:40:53 pm »
I don't like loud pipes. :(
I just like MY loud pipes ;D

All those other wheenies in the canyon should get quiet pipes so I can sit on the deck in peace and drink a beer after I get home.

BG

That's Good ;D ;D

I like to make a bit of noise in front of a Harley house nearby "Friends place".  But I notice he does the same thing in front of mine. :o

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 07:22:20 pm »
I don't like loud pipes. :(
I just like MY loud pipes ;D

All those other wheenies in the canyon should get quiet pipes so I can sit on the deck in peace and drink a beer after I get home.

BG

That's Good ;D ;D

I like to make a bit of noise in front of a Harley house nearby "Friends place".  But I notice he does the same thing in front of mine. :o

one of my neighbors has a sportster with open pipes, we always smile and nod, the neighborhood hates us both i'm sure  ;D

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 10:11:12 pm »
Well Spikey....I have to believe the neighbors that you guys are pissing off envy you.If they can't take a joke...........!! ......or....on the other hand.....maybe you guys are corrupt outlaws that enjoy scareing the hell out of women and young children and you should both be locked up!!!!!..........Naw......I think they envy you guys doin' your thing!!!!!
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 10:39:40 pm »
Aw its just one house, and mine has to be reved high to be noisy.

I don't blast my air horn ;D

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 10:49:49 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.........ya got an air horn ???.....HHmmmm...never thought of that....I'll get back to ya.......
MEMBER # 257

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 07:44:57 pm »
Loud pipes kill eardrums.

And number 7 should be amended to add "or still available".
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

masonryman

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 08:02:01 pm »
I like the performance the aftermarket pipe added to my zx10 the weight reduction and narrower COG really made the bike more responsive, not only accelerating but cornering.  But, the music it makes in the twisties, quickly turns to noise on the interstate.

masonryman

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 08:05:03 pm »
The question I would like answered; does free flowing exhaust make a bigger difference in a 2 valve or 4 valve per cyl application?

Offline jevfro

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB750 K5
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2008, 04:42:16 pm »
Loud pipes kill eardrums.

And number 7 should be amended to add "or still available".

Thanks for all your input everyone... I'll add that to #7 333

dimesack65

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 03:18:29 am »
IMHO, it was a bad design to have to remove the exhaust to work on the back wheel...

and loud pipes DO save lives, especially in my neck of the woods, deer run out in front of my brother all the time on his stock vt700, they cower in fear when I blast out of the woods each morning. I really love the way it makes the rabbits run,  and the dogs out here..

Offline ekim98

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 09:15:45 am »
 I don't like/care for loud pipes! I want to hear what's going on with the bike and conditions around me while I ride. I also question if loud pipes make you more aware of you anyhow. Cagers/people in cars are in there own little world and loud pipes will probably just make them turn up there radio/ipod/dvd player anyhow. But I do agree that after market pipes can help performance and sometimes look better and the usually save weight.
Patriot Guard Rider - KY. Ride with Respect

78 750k  cafe bike sort of
67 305  Superhawk (working project)

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 02:27:18 pm »
1)  My entire BCR 4-2 system weighs less than just one of the stock 4-4 pipes :)

2)  My BCR system is hand fabricated from 304 grade stainless steel and polished, hence no more corrosion problems ;D

3)  When I'm bimbling along normally it's not particularly intrusive, but when I fancy a proper ride, the pipes are more than happy to provide a suitable soundtrack 8)

4)  The 4-2 design gives me just the mid '60s brit cafe look I was after with my bike 8)

5)  My neighbours include two guys who own multiple (i.e; 10+) bikes, one guy who owns a class 10 grasstrack racer, and another who owns a race prepped '68 E Type lightweight.  I have a reputation to maintain ;D ;D
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

Offline ghost

• what do you mean i can't do that? I just did it didn't i
  • Enthusiast
  • it's all about the last inch baby(even when it's metric)
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 09:51:57 pm »
when my pipes were "stock" cars would constantly pull out in front of me, cut me off, one lady actually bumped me off the road cause she didn't see or hear me. since i drilled out the end plates in my exhaust i'm noticed A LOT MORE by other drivers, i feel safer and it don't really get too loud till about 5k or so, befor that it's kinda like a nice throaty low rumble. plus it idles smoother and lower(~900rpm) has better throttal response, and feels like it has more umph all around
1980 cb650c first bike i owned now the wife's ride.           1982 xv920j virago, bike i learned to ride on rescued it from a 13 year coma (sitting in the shed) now she runs beautifully and rides like a dream.

Offline speedy gonzalais

• Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 05:14:04 am »
Theres more than one reason i have strait thru pipes #1 the sound is awsome #2 people can easily hear me coming, if a car pulls out an knocks me off id like to see him try an say to the police (I didnt know he was there) #3 (restriction) most bikes imported into the uk are restricted by way of the silencers #3 she idles better, she will tick at 500rpm pull off with no throttle and creep past traffic on idle #4 faster more responsive, With the stock pipes 70mph was the limit over 1/4 mile now she will pull over a ton on a 1/4 mile, and as for noise if ppl dont like the noise they can go f**k them selfs, I never ride late at night just in the day time and ppl still complain and that really pisses me off cause i dont see complaints about the boy racers with there 1000w stereo systems and cherry bomb exhasts racing around at 1am, but on the other hand most people like it, they smile wen they hear me coming and smile when they see the classic honda making all the noise. And theres a lot of talk of re-jeting. Theres no need if you keep the stock air filter, i cant understand why poeple think changing the exhast will change the fuel/air mixture it dont the carbs and filters controll that. less back pressure = less restriction on the air coming out of the motor thus making it rev faster. If you increase the airflow into the motor then you need to increase the fuel going in as well (re-jetting).
82' C90
87' yamaha T80
79' CB125T/CD200 project
82' CB650z
80s kawasaki ae50/150cc project
92' Suzuki GSXR600
80' CB250N

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 08:32:34 pm »
I see you haven't met Lloyd yet (Twotired).I think you two could have a real good discussion about exhaust. ;D ;D
MEMBER # 257

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2008, 09:19:02 am »
How I used to love loud pipes, the louder the better (Kerker K1 with or without the baffle - Just loved the Yoshi's too).  Now, a nice lower deep throaty sound is good.

When you are on a long trip, quiet pipes are nice and I can hear my music through my headset better.  In fact, I like the whistle I get on my XVZ12DN.  If you ever heard a new wing, mine sound very similar.

I have to get around those stupidly loud Harley's on the road and make a good distance in front.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2009, 07:21:15 pm »
I don't.  I think most bikes look better with the stock exhaust.  As for extra loud exhaust, it may sound "good" to the rider but it is quite an annoyance to those subjected to it.  Just like those clowns with the thumping sound systems, you can bet those be subjected to your "good" sound are muttering under their breath or thinking "what a jerk".  Now get off my grass and turn down that music. ;D ;D  And while you are at it get a haircut too. ;D ;D

Offline Mantree

• Hot Shot
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 05:45:27 am »
I ride with stock pipes but my girlfriend likes them loud because she said my quiet pipes are why I got hit personally I like to put on a better horn for to be heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ichiban 4

• "Ichi"
  • Hot Shot
  • A "Boomer" still going strong.
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2014, 05:44:20 pm »
Well..I noted that this thread is 6 years old now..until Mantree just posted [BTW Mantree: I'm just down the road from you in Longmont.  Give me a P.M. sometime when you'll be in this area..]

Anyway..I still have about the same opinion as I did when I first posted here several years ago. But wanted to say that it seems like the loud pipes in my area (right on a major road/artery) are getting worse. Think that's because more riders are finding that they have a pretty much unobstructed stretch of road for about 3 miles in front of our place..and the number of riders seems to have increased quite a lot over the past few years.

It's very interesting to me though..that almost all..if not all of the bikes with loud..open pipes seem to be Harley riders..without helmets..in the middle-age appearing bracket.  Guess there are more and more of us  older guys that are trying to recapture..or recreate a fantasy of the bad-boy biker image??

I wish they had more enforceable noise laws around here.  They don't allow the truckers to use their "Jake brakes"..so why in the world would the Harley bad-boy pretenders think they can run by @ 60 MPH (in a 35 mph zone)..with open pipes.  Delayed juvenile delinquency..is what crosses my mind LOL!

Ichi
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:47:18 pm by Ichiban 4 »
Al Summers

Present: '77 550K
Past: '73 CB450(twin), '72 CB175, '68 CB350, '58 Ariel Square 4 (1000cc), '58 Matchless Typhoon (650cc single), Whizzer Motorbikes '48 -'55 (Pacemaker & Sportsman)..Vespa, Lambretta scooters..etc.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2014, 06:36:00 pm »
I like the sound of a loud SOHC motor, but not open exhaust (too loud).  I dislike the stock exhaust on the '77-78 550 & 750 K's.....too quiet. 
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2014, 10:34:24 pm »
Loud pipes are annoying. The only reason I like them is because they help you get noticed when cruising on freeways. Safety feature.
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2014, 12:24:14 am »
I have always been fascinated with sound...but my old ass, half deaf, ex rock-n-roll musician, factory workin' ears just can't take that #$%* anymore :P
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2014, 01:25:26 am »
If you have to ask.........you probably wouldn't understand!!!!!
I don't even remember posting this (musta been hopped up on Budweisers or something......... ;D). Living in California....there are loads of bikes and a good amount of those are Harleys. A good amount of those Harleys are loud. There are however, a fair share of just too damn loud ones. I like a bike to be heard but I don't like it to set off car alarms and scare the living sh!t outa people! I run a 4to1 with the cone only and I love it that way.....it's not obnoxious but if I get on it you'll hear it. A while back I had the cone blow out halfway on a 15 mile putt. I knew as soon as it did it and pulled up a stop sign. The guy coming up behind me in his car said I lost something. I told him I knew and went back and got it. When I got to town....just riding down the main drag in between the buildings it was obnoxious loud. I Mickey moused it back on for the ride home and now it is rivited in.....not going anywhere!
Too loud.....no thanks. Factory baffled sounding like an blender....no thanks.
MEMBER # 257

Offline dave the welder

• dave the welder
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 10:02:38 am »
i get to ride on both sides of this fence.on my green bike(chopper)i like the louder pipes,kind of goes with the whole scheme of things.nothing else is stock on bike so why should the exhaust be any different.how ever on my matic bike it has a very quiet exhaust,not stock but quiet.this is the bike my wife and i ride together.i guess to each his own
don't buy it build it

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2014, 03:05:26 am »
I was out on my Goldwing last Sunday, it's stock standard and whisper quiet. Anyway, I did 150 miles and was on my way home on the freeway, and came across some slower moving cars in my lane, and was about to ride around them when I heard 4 very loud Harleys coming up fast, so I let them pass before changing lanes.

The sun was behind me reflecting off my mirrors so I didn't see them, and I would have changed lanes if I hadn't heard them, and that might have caused a collision. The 4 big Harleys were being ridden by 4 equally large Bandido's, and I probably wouldn't have been popular with them if I took them out with my big black 'Wang. 

In this case, loud pipes did save a life, mine! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)