Author Topic: Headlight Conversion Kit--JCWhitney, anyone tried this one?  (Read 8427 times)

alis

Headlight Conversion Kit--JCWhitney, anyone tried this one?
« on: January 30, 2009, 04:15:57 pm »
Anyone tried this headlignt conversion kit, I found it on JCWhitneys website. Looking for something better than the stock lite on a 78 750k.
Heres the link to it:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/PILOT-SEAL-BEAM-HALOGEN-HEADLAMP-CONVERSION-KITS/GP_2003804_N_111+10201+600002824_10101.jcw

Not sure if its worth it, but it does come with 2 bulbs

Offline pablo78cb550

• Hot Shot
  • mmmph.
Re: Headlight Conversion Kit--JCWhitney, anyone tried this one?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:38:43 pm »
you could go to pep boys or auto zone and pick up a halogen for $16. Sylvania part number H6024
and will be better than stock.
i am curious about that item though....
Bikes in hand:
1977 Yamaha XS650
1978 Yamaha SR500 #119!
1978 Yamaha XS400
1978 Honda CB550K
1965 Ducati Monza 250

Sold off:
1992 Yamaha FZR600
1978 Yamaha SR500- I miss it so much.
1981 Yamaha Seca 550

alis

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:52:52 pm »
Yeah I thought about doing that too, Im just curious what the light intensity of this conversion kit is and how easy it is to make the conversion.  Is it worth it?

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
    • Drewfus Nation, my podcast, bicycle collection, blog etc
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:47:02 pm »
Firstly, put some relays on your headlight, here is a link to my install thread which I will be adding some pix soon. It is easy, cheap and it WORKS.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45894.0

Then if you still need or want more you can mount a halogen and it will burn brighter then if you didn't have the relays.

I would watch out for and halogen lamps with "HID look" or something like that in the description as they are just either blue tinted bulbs or Zenon halogens and the color spectrum of the light really isn't that good especially for motorcycles.

good luck!
"I believe in the bodies, I believe in the blood, I believe in salt around the rim of the glass because it makes us thirsty, and when we drink, then we all fall in love"
-212 Margarita by The Hold Steady
Build thread:http://forums.sohc

Offline Mach-5(50)

• Enthusiast
    • ryan barr photography
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:58:42 pm »
the pilot kits i have seen aren't the best quality. i can't remember if it is a plastic lens, but i think so. i am not a fan of plastic headlight lenses. i think there is a real benefit  to changing to an H4 or 9003 capsule type bulb. i don't know about power draw and what not, but i can tell you they should be significantly brighter. also, if you go to a real parts store, that actually has catalogs with specifications, you can compare candle power of different bulbs. i sold wagner at NAPA, and different models can have different candle powers even if they are the same style bulb. one model isn't necessarily the brightest across the board. hella also makes conversion kits, and i remember them being much higher quality.

later,

ryan
The more adults I meet, the more I want to help kids.

i used to be drunk and dirty,
now i am clean and sober.

http://www.ryanbarrphotography.com

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:19:37 pm »
I can't speak for the newer kit, but the old H4 halogen "Conversion" headlight they sold didn't fit properly in the headlight mounting ring.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline coyotecowboy

• Hot Shot
  • Easily Distracted
    • American Legion Riders Post 69 Medicine Lodge, Ks
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 04:21:32 am »
hella also makes conversion kits, and i remember them being much higher quality.

Would that make them hella high quality?  yo :D

OK that was really bad but I couldn't stop myself ::)
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad

http://www.alrpost69.com/

Sunrise Orange 750 K2

1981 Husqvarna 430 XC, "Inga"

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 04:14:40 pm »
Just as a follow up, I grabbed one of the Sylvania SilverStar H6024 lamps last night for about $20, and man, WHAT a difference. I thought my stocker w/ relays was 2x better then the stocker just rigged through the harness, this is 2x brighter again. Much brighter, better color light, wider and longer beam spread, and it actually seems to run cooler to the touch then the old Stanley sealed beam I was running.

Definitely worth $20 as long as it lasts a year.... we'll see how it holds up
"I believe in the bodies, I believe in the blood, I believe in salt around the rim of the glass because it makes us thirsty, and when we drink, then we all fall in love"

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 05:27:23 pm »
The silverstar is recommended for my VR as well and has good reviews.  I still need to change mine on my VR, just have not gotten around to it.  The $15 Walmart Platinum Burners (driving lights) I added are much brighter than the stock headlight and have just lived with those cause they have been doing the job.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 05:54:00 pm »
Firstly, put some relays on your headlight, here is a link to my install thread which I will be adding some pix soon. It is easy, cheap and it WORKS.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45894.0

Then if you still need or want more you can mount a halogen and it will burn brighter then if you didn't have the relays.

I would watch out for and halogen lamps with "HID look" or something like that in the description as they are just either blue tinted bulbs or Zenon halogens and the color spectrum of the light really isn't that good especially for motorcycles.

good luck!
Gotta +1 on that. You may not want/need more after a relay. If you don't want to wire your own, get a kit from here http://easternbeaver.com/  If you still want more, any conversion will work better with relay(s).
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline fang

• Hot Shot
    • Food Renegade
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 08:03:24 pm »
I just posted a link to this, so I might as well do it again.  This is on a Yamahahaha RD350, but headlights are headlights, and I might just swap it over to my CB750....
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIkGkSd6i2Q[/youtube]
(I recently upgraded an old headlight.
1. polished the old glass lens inside and out.
2. replaced the old flaking refelctor and its 35w screw-in bulb with a 'modern' tribar reflector and room for an H4 bulb
3. replaced the H4 bulb with a bixenon true HID light set up. The bixenon HID offers both high and low beam in one bulb.  The bulb is mounted to an electro magnet and it actually physically moves forward and backward in the light to obtain the hi and low beams.

It puts a tremendous amount of light out there on the road, and it only sucks 35w.  I often drive out in remote dark places, and this has been a very satisfying upgrade for me.

The set up cost about: $40 for the headlight housing + $20 for the tribar lens + $110 for the HID setup + $60 for the small clock that fits the headlight housing.

peace and grease.
-fang
Download Nervous Norvus' "The Fang"  HERE.
Tired of eating CRAP!

Offline super pasty white guy

• I'm not really a
  • Expert
  • 1976 750 F
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 08:12:19 pm »
I've been through two Silverstars-  each lasted about 1 year.  Trying a PIAA vibration resistant motorcyle bulb now.  It appears brighter than the Silverstar, also more expensive.

spwg

Fruit don't talk, fruit just listens... and waits.

Offline cb750fbomb

• is by no means a
  • Hot Shot
  • "No hope? See, that's what gives me guts!"
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 12:18:00 am »
To use a Silverstar do I need to do the relay conversion?
'77 CB750F2
“The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.”

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 02:44:58 am »
To use a Silverstar do I need to do the relay conversion?
I used a Silverstar lamp in my headlight all last year, and all I gotta say is DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!  I took it out last week when I was fitting in a H.I.D. system, looked at the 1-year-old bulb and it (the filament) was about to burn in half. I fitted the relays in my bike to get the most voltage to the bulb, and that works great.  It's a good idea to use relays even if you don't go with a halogen.  The difference is really noticable.

eldar

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 06:07:12 am »
WOW I must have the super sylvania. It is about 8 years old and still works fine. I also have no relays. I drive out in the country at night and there are not road lights. The bulb does very well and I never feel like I need more light.
I know sylvanias are vibration lovers! You have to use rubber dampers to remove some of the vibs.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 07:22:22 am »
For my CB350F the 7" was too large, and the 5 3/4" too small for the chrome headlight mount.  Any non-sealed replacement H4 headlamps out there that will fit my stock headlight housing?

fb1
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline chrislib

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 07:40:54 am »
Just as a follow up, I grabbed one of the Sylvania SilverStar H6024 lamps last night for about $20, and man, WHAT a difference. I thought my stocker w/ relays was 2x better then the stocker just rigged through the harness, this is 2x brighter again. Much brighter, better color light, wider and longer beam spread, and it actually seems to run cooler to the touch then the old Stanley sealed beam I was running.

Definitely worth $20 as long as it lasts a year.... we'll see how it holds up

X2 on the Silverstar, that's what I`m using, plenty bright and so far no charging issues. I do plan on doing a relay upgrade in the next couple of weeks to take the load off the switch. FWIW I have used Silverstars on all my veh`s and have been very pleased with the light output and service life...I figgered whats good for the car might be good for the bike and it`s good choice so far IMO.
Chris...closet Idlefiddler
1973 CB750K...CANDY BACCHUS OLIVE

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 07:52:06 am »
WOW I must have the super sylvania. It is about 8 years old and still works fine. I also have no relays. I drive out in the country at night and there are not road lights. The bulb does very well and I never feel like I need more light.
I know sylvanias are vibration lovers! You have to use rubber dampers to remove some of the vibs.
See Eldar, they work so well for us because we have the BEST model CB750's ever built, the iconic, mighty K8!

As far as vibration goes, I have fit some rubber washers on both sides of my aftermarket cheapie headlight brackets, any other suggestions from the class?

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 09:48:55 am »
Hmmm, I'm gonna have to follow this one. I need to upgrade my light, I noticed that Dennis Kirk has some crazy head lights. I spotted one that has an Iron cross in the headlight and it took a bulb though and not sealed...
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 10:01:00 am »
Goon-
The headlight you are talking about is made by Adjure and I have wanted one for like 3 years, but can'r justify $80-100 for a freakin headlight. Kewl as hell though....

Maybe a cheaper headlight + a $5 can of spray on window frosting + an exacto knife + some good masking tape is in both of our futures?

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 01:03:04 pm »
Goon-
The headlight you are talking about is made by Adjure and I have wanted one for like 3 years, but can'r justify $80-100 for a freakin headlight. Kewl as hell though....

Maybe a cheaper headlight + a $5 can of spray on window frosting + an exacto knife + some good masking tape is in both of our futures?
Sounds like that's gonna be the deal, man that is pricy for a headlight, forgot about that part.... That thing better say "hello Jason" when I turn on the lights for that kinda price....
Just kidding..
Your right that thing is Kewl...
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 02:46:41 am »
I just posted a link to this, so I might as well do it again.  This is on a Yamahahaha RD350, but headlights are headlights, and I might just swap it over to my CB750....
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIkGkSd6i2Q[/youtube]
(I recently upgraded an old headlight.
1. polished the old glass lens inside and out.
2. replaced the old flaking refelctor and its 35w screw-in bulb with a 'modern' tribar reflector and room for an H4 bulb
3. replaced the H4 bulb with a bixenon true HID light set up. The bixenon HID offers both high and low beam in one bulb.  The bulb is mounted to an electro magnet and it actually physically moves forward and backward in the light to obtain the hi and low beams.

It puts a tremendous amount of light out there on the road, and it only sucks 35w.  I often drive out in remote dark places, and this has been a very satisfying upgrade for me.

The set up cost about: $40 for the headlight housing + $20 for the tribar lens + $110 for the HID setup + $60 for the small clock that fits the headlight housing.

peace and grease.
-fang
Fang,
Do you have any info about the HI-LOW H.I.D. bulb that you put in?  I'm trying to find one that has the solenoid activated bulb positioning like you have.  The HID system that I bought has nothing like this (just one position for low-beam), and the company that I tried to buy just the bulb from sells them only in pairs for $100  :o  Where did you get yours from?  Any wiring diagrams to share before I continue trying to locate another bulb?
Thanks, Steve F

Offline hevykevy420

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 07:36:28 am »
I can't speak for the newer kit, but the old H4 halogen "Conversion" headlight they sold didn't fit properly in the headlight mounting ring.

I bought a halogen conversion kit on ebay and I noted the same thing...the light is a little loose in the mounting ring.  I"m going to have to try to shim it tight or something...not good to have the headlight bouncing around.
1978 CB750K - 836 Wiseco kit, 4-1 Kerker Exhaust, Web cam (63b grind), HD valve springs, polished stuff.  Comfortable.

1975 BMW R90/6 - tight

2002 RC51 - Jardine slip ons.  Uncomfortable.

Austin, TX

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 07:56:31 am »
The silverstar is recommended for my VR as well and has good reviews.  I still need to change mine on my VR, just have not gotten around to it.  The $15 Walmart Platinum Burners (driving lights) I added are much brighter than the stock headlight and have just lived with those cause they have been doing the job.

+1 I love my silverstar. VERY bright, clean white light.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale