Author Topic: 1975 CB750F build - enjoy the ride , ideas, how to's, and opinions welcome  (Read 11125 times)

dieselndixie

my first build, though I ride and have ridden since I was 5.  I ride an xr400, a vtx1800f, a ssr140tx pitbike, and now a CB project.

I am going for a cafe racer meets streetfighter meets motard...

here is the beginning of my build, and would love ANY advice or directions.  Thanks

I will include pics along the way as well as pics of ideas I am going for.

I bought the bike for $850 in Dallas and it has 13,000 miles.  Looks to be in great shape, but I am going for a nice rebuild on this one.  Red frame, carbon fiber body from benjie...the works.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:04:46 pm by dieselndixie »

Offline J.Webster Designs

• Expert
  • www.JWebsterDesigns.com
    • www.JWebsterDesigns.com
will be watching... keep the updates coming
VISIT OUR WEBSITE!

www.JWebsterDesigns.com

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA!

Facebook:
www.facebook.com/JWebsterDesigns

Instagram:
www.instagram.com/j.websterdesigns

Offline rachet

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB750 F2
good for you!  Crossing over from riding to building and riding, Awesome!  Looking forward to your progress.

Rachet~
But I need Tacos!  I need them or I will explode!

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Welcome to our insanity. Nice find! You're going to really like the 75 F engine to build around. Let us know if you're interested in selling some of the parts. I need orange seat trim pieces and a rear trim piece for the tail piece. I'll have quite a few pieces I can help out with eventually too.   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Nice find for $500 notes dude....I get the Cafe/Streetfighter bit but I'll be watching to see how you work in some Motard. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
Before Jerry buys all the parts I would love the orange gas tank (assuming no rust inside). I love that colour! Let me know if you would like to sell...

thanks and good luck!
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

dieselndixie

needing a few things before i can get the frame setup right, so I started on the carbs.....um this is what a bike that sat for 20 years looks like....gross.  u can see a before and after from the simple green ( 1 to 1 with water ) bath I gave them.  I am going to have to take the whole carb setup apart and soak them again as individual pieces.  again, chime in with thoughts or steps I should add/leave out.  thanks all.

s

dieselndixie

well, unfortunatly the tank has much to be desired.  it looks very nice on the outside, but is totally rusty on the inside.  even some small holes in the corners.  I am a very novice garage hand and I dont know if there is a way to make it usable.

yeah, i will let you all know what parts are available as I get to them...I know that i will have lots of spare stuff since I am trying to replace alot of parts with modern bits.   

As far as my ideas for a motard added flare....I am really thinking of using dirtbike bars and some hand guards....we shall see.

dieselndixie

My Inspiration
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:19:22 pm »
My Inspiration, these bikes all have something i like about them...I dont like everything on all these bikes.

I am sure I will be going with a red frame and either a flat black body, or red frame and spring for benjies carbon fiber kit   OMG!

anyway...first pic is my dream setup

http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/CFcombo.html

http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/images/CFbike2.jpg

http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/images/cfbike.jpg

This brings me to the frame.

If I am wanting a single seater with a new oil tank that allows the "side triangles" to be left open, what tabs or brackets can/should I cut off before I take this to the powdercoating.  I am for sure going to atleast cut the tail and install Benjies rear battery box.
http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/battbox.html

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Insanity, plain and simple!  ;D  I'm a damn good example too!

See how much that cheap $500 "investment" is going to cost you! It only hurts every pay day.

Too bad about the tank. Is that caviar in the carb?  :D  You still have a good ways to go on that set. Stock jetting too. Just don't take the hammer to them. Oh yeah, a new set of CR's would be nice but they add about another 150% to your startup cost. This #$%* never ends.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:51:31 pm by Jerry Griffin aka Rxman »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

dieselndixie

do you have a recomendation on what carb rebuild kit to order?  what jets? anything that will help when i place an order.  i know that all 4 carbs need a rebuild kit...but will a kit come with everything i need?

also, still needing to know what pieces can be cut off the frame before i have it blasted and powdercoated.

i assume i can atleast remove the rear brackets, and all the tabs under where the side cover went

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Gotta say I have bought 1 set of carb kits. Keyster. Junk IMO. Threw those sum#$%*es away and reinstalled the original and it's still original except for larger mains. Your carb parts might not be that bad with that low mileage. Soak them, clean them the best you can then have them ultrasound cleaned. I'd bite the bullet and go with Honda kits if absolutely necessary. I can not say what comes in the Honda parts kits. Neither catalogues show the kits. It's basic however. No floats, needles, etc. If you have to order be sure to tell the young guys behind the counter that you have a 1975 K0 Super Sport!Don't forget this detail when ordering parts! Or they will order wrong or tell you your bike does not exist. Why not start a new thread just to ask what comes in Honda carb kits?! The correct needles and needle jet sets for this particular carb have been discontinued. I managed to scrouge up 4 sets but haven't used them YET. When I buy the CR's and get then set up I MAY let go of the sets. Your jetting depends on modifications. You'll notice the 105 on the main. That is stock size and should be spot on for a stock setup. Be careful when removing and installing the emulsion tube and main jet back into the aluminum tube-like piece in the carb body so that you don't break it. Could be brittle. We do have an aluminum micro-welder on board if you need.

I haven't done any frame cutting to date. I will do so before my coating. I'm going to install one of Gordon (Ilbikes) frame kits that allow you to work on the top end of the engine without engine removal. Thats all the cutting I'll do.

I'm still interested in the pieces I mentioned as they are no longer available. NOS would be perfect but they are made of unobtainium. I'd be naked without them.

Offline DollarBill

• Hot Shot
Nice find...  I'll be watching closely to see where you take this build.

That tank would be a good candidate for a cape-style tank stretch like I did on mine but not much else...maybe a seat cowl.  You'll find like others have said how expensive this gets.  Especially if you really trick it out...not to mention new tools, cleaning products, sand paper, towels, etc., etc...

So far I am into mine for about $600 and I only paid $400 for the bike and you have seen the current state of my bike.  It's not NEAR completion.  I'm thinking it will end up being about $3000 when all is said and done.  Some people might think that is too conservative and others will think it is ridiculous to spend that kind of money modifying one of these old bikes but ya know what?  When I am done it will be all MINE and there will only be one like it.  I have learned so much already from this forum and I still don't know sh!t but the journey is a heck of a lot of fun.

As for cutting tabs off of your frame...you just need to make sure you have figured out where everything is going to go and that you aren't going to have to do any re-welding.  Make sure if you are going to run rearsets you have a place to mount them.  I would say powdercoating and painting should be the LAST thing you do before finally assembly.  Mock it up in it's naked state and make sure everything works the way you want it to and then pretty it up.  IMO...

Good luck!
1975 CB750F Project Yellow Jacket - CBR600rr Swinger GSXR 600 Forks
1955 BMW R25/3, 1966 Honda CA160, 1975 CB400f, 1975 CB550, 1976 CB550

dieselndixie

so after soaking the carb parts ( i am working on 2 carbs and left the other 2 unopened in case i need a reference)

i think i soaked them too long in simple green because they have a residue on them even after washing.

should i go ahead and get some gunk carb cleaning in a can like at the auto parts store...or a small ultrasonic jewelry cleaner?  or both?  here are some pics after cleaning.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
The correct needles and needle jet sets for this particular carb have been discontinued.

I bought 4 sets from the Honda dealer back in the fall.  There were listed as available and I received them after a short wait.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

dieselndixie

So, I made a sand blasting cabinet today out of an old truck box....its hillbilly, so no negative comments needed.

i will be swapping out for real gloves when they arrive - ordered online.

works though....

I plan on doing the wheels, swingarm, center stand, kickstand, tank, triple, etc

Offline papp101

• Enthusiast
Nice freakin job on the sand box! Wish I could build something like that for hitting my frame and engine. Looking good, keep the pics coming!

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
The correct needles and needle jet sets for this particular carb have been discontinued.

I bought 4 sets from the Honda dealer back in the fall.  There were listed as available and I received them after a short wait.

Guess I didn't check that lately  ::)   Looks like about $20.00 per carb. Thanks for the corrected info Greg. Anyone that has over 100,000 miles on their F is credible in my books

Diesel, You scared me there for a moment. I thought you ruined a perfectly good beer cooler.  ;D  Nice improvising! What are you blasting with? Isn't it great to have a local Harbor Freight....  Just picked up my $40 sale price wheel balancing stand to build my wheels and a $14.99 3/8" clicker torque wrench to supplement my old 1/2" Craftsman bar style. I'll be comparing the torque wrenches before trusting the cheapie.   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:40:34 pm by Jerry Griffin aka Rxman »

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer

Guess I didn't check that lately  ::)   Looks like about $20.00 per carb.

That's just what they were.  Seemed high, but I can't make 'em and they have probably about paid for themselves already in fuel savings.  Maybe I should get another set and put them away for next time.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline volkswagendan

• Hot Shot
  • im a bit off the charts. sorry.
that center stand weights a ton. might wanna think it over before puting too much time into it.

don't take me too seriously.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
that center stand weights a ton
I'm with you Dan, its the first thing that goes on all my bikes.... ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

dieselndixie

yeah, I am struggling with that....I LOVE the functionality, but hate the weight.  honestly, I tried it on the center stand first just incase I didnt know what I was doing...I figured if I screwed it up I could scrap it.

this brings up a good point....what other stuff are yall scrapping or cutting off?

p.s. the blaster works very well and is amazing that it doesnt make a huge mess.  wheels are next

Offline Slayer

• Hot Shot
  • What can I say that hasn't been said before
Nice work man, I am gonna have to follow this one

Offline volkswagendan

• Hot Shot
  • im a bit off the charts. sorry.
i think i took off almost 100 lbs.  but i went skinny.  no gauges,  no fender,  light box, or  chain guard.  no signals, no center stand.  ...no muffler.  (check your state laws. i have historic plates in jersey. so all i need are hand signals and a headlight.)
if your going total cafe, remember these guys stripped everything that was not needed in favor of speed.
power > weight.   stop eating all those cheeseburgers too.
don't take me too seriously.