Author Topic: Laminar's CB550 Cafe Build  (Read 50128 times)

Offline DavePhipps

• Expert
  • Reading the entire Hi-Perf forum
    • Hillside Technology
Re: Laminar's CB550 Cafe Build
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 06:28:15 am »
I would say use the tank as a plug and make a full fiberglass tank for the bike. Probably too late for that now though.
Bikes:
90 FZR600 RA
74 CB550k
78 GL1000
72 CB500K

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 07:09:24 am »
Jeez for  a guy with a jigsaw and a dremel tool, pretty friggin impressive.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 09:07:04 am »
Dang ... I right there with ya and was diggin how it was looking (really good) til you got carried away with the 5 gal bucket of bondo on the tank. You cant use that stuff like sculpting clay.

Offline Aaron Richard

• Enthusiast
  • 1975 CB550 cafe
    • shop
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 09:51:49 am »
+1
I think you missed your calling as a pastry chef ;D You are going to have some cracking issues with that much bondo down the road, but, practice makes perfect. keep at it.

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 10:37:13 am »
You cant use that stuff like sculpting clay.

This. 

Also, one major thing is structural integrity.  It looks like - from what I can see - you're using standard Bondo, rather than "Hair" (Bondo with fiberglass in it.)  With you putting it on that thick, a good pothole (or fast temperature change) and it's going to crack right through.  Even with hair, that would be getting pretty thick, but it would be stronger and more flexible.

I am curious about your pipes, though...which parts did you snag from JC?  They don't have much for our dear CBs, so I'd be curious to know which items you modified to get the up-sweep look there.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 11:28:25 am »
I am curious about your pipes, though...which parts did you snag from JC?  They don't have much for our dear CBs, so I'd be curious to know which items you modified to get the up-sweep look there.

I got the bike with a four-into-two exhaust. I picked up a couple 45 degree 2 1/2" pipes, 1 3/4" baffles, fiberglass packing, and couplers. I basically cut down the four-into-twos, slipped on the 45 degree pipes, then added the tips.

The seat does have quite a bit of bondo in some places - maybe up to 1/4". My fiberglass work was really uneven (give me a break, it's my first try!  :'(   :D). There's really not much at all on the tank - just enough to cover the styrofoam and protect it from the fiberglass resin, it just looks like a lot because of the styrofoam texture and because the picture was taken pre-sanding. The latest layer on top of the fiberglass is going to be sanded down quite a bit, its purpose is filling in the uneven parts of the fiberglass and making the fiberglass-to-metal transition smooth.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I hope to have the battery secured and wired in the next couple of days, I'm moving across town on Saturday and I don't want to have to trailer this bike, too.

Offline Aaron Richard

• Enthusiast
  • 1975 CB550 cafe
    • shop
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 01:54:42 pm »
how many layers of fiberglass is in the seat? I also worry it might break while riding, that would be a nutcracker disaster!
When I make seats, I usually do about 5-6 layers of fiberglass cloth and extra in the stress areas. I sand the fiberglass smooth as possible without taking too much off, then a thin layer of filler to smooth. I use foam core and poster board glued together to make the mockup. This makes for a smooth solid buck and is a easy material to get the shape you want. Plastic wrap the buck before you start laying fiberglass on it and it just pops out when the fiberglass hardens.

For everyone's piece of mind and your safety, check your seats strength before you hit the ton ;D

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 02:52:53 pm »
Might have missed it, but what did you use to glue the styrofoam to the tank...interesting approach.
You see all methods here - that's for sure
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 09:28:09 pm »
how many layers of fiberglass is in the seat? I also worry it might break while riding, that would be a nutcracker disaster!

Ouch  :o  I have 3-4 layers plus the aluminum frame giving strength. I hope that will be enough.

Might have missed it, but what did you use to glue the styrofoam to the tank...interesting approach.
You see all methods here - that's for sure

Hot glue. Straight out of the gun it melts the styrofoam, so I wait 10 or 15 seconds before attaching the styrofoam.

I haven't seen anyone do stuff like this before, so I try and MacGyver it. If it works, fantastic, maybe others benefit from my experimenting. If it doesn't, oh well, at least I tried.

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
  • I know the pieces fit...
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 01:29:59 am »
Cool, so what is your idea with the tank? Obviously you decided not to hammer knee dents into the side, but it looks like you're going for that very look. Also, where in Iowa are ya?

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 06:35:39 am »
Cool, so what is your idea with the tank? Obviously you decided not to hammer knee dents into the side, but it looks like you're going for that very look. Also, where in Iowa are ya?

Yep, going for the knee dent look. I tried to size them to where my knees actually hit the tank, so hopefully they're not JUST for looks.

I'm in Des Moines. Johnston right now, moving to Urbandale in four days.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009, 06:56:01 am »
Okay, spent some time sanding the tank:

I got the new battery leads run:

And installed the new front turn signals:

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 08:09:25 pm »
I pulled my bikes out of the garage to prepare for my move tomorrow, so I snapped a few pics.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:13:55 am by Laminar »

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 08:58:38 pm »
You been busy!!! Drew needs the pods,love that red,Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 08:49:13 pm »
edit: Check this thread for my awesome post-fire carnage.

Phew...busy night. I changed the fork oil on the CB750 and got the chain tension set (it would always readjust itself when I went to tighten the axle...total PITA.

I then started in on the CB550, since I haven't touched it since the electrical fire.

I replaced the four connectors that melted, and I replaced all of the power wire that caught fire. I re-wrapped everything nice and tight.

I put the electrical panel back together and hooked up the new electronic flasher.

I made a new "fuse box" to replace the one that melted.

Everything buttoned back up:

And once again it runs! Well, it cranks at least. I don't have the gas tank hooked up and I don't want to put any gas into the tank since I'm still working on it. I have a lot of sanding and a little more bondo work to do on the seat and tank, then it's time for paint. I think I'll try and cut the side panel mounts off of the frame since I don't need them anymore. I'm contemplating whether or not to keep the chain guard. Maybe I'll cut some speed holes in it or something.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:14:47 am by Laminar »

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 03:50:23 pm »
I wondering how much heavier your tank is now than before?

Nice work on the seat BTW. 
1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline turninwheels

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 08:35:08 pm »
well, an interesting build to say the least...keep it up, you'll find out what will work an what won't.  just remember, bondo isn't that flexible, it will crack under pressure, temp changes, and general wear -n-tear...you have an interesting concept...keep it up!
"high powered suicide machine."

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2009, 09:38:58 pm »
Macgyver.......

I'm going to be a bit of a wet blanket here ???  Sorry, a few guys are "inferring" issues with the glass and bondo, but not coming out with real information for you.

Here is my take on this after 30 years experience with glass and bondo.

The 1st photo shows you draping a piece of cloth over a couple of hoops.
Fiberglass cloth with resin has no......NO strength , NONE it is as fragile as a thin piece of glass. Some sort of support would be needed to have any strength.  The bondo you have put on, while it seems to make it feel stronger gives it NO Support. There are many different things you can add to bondo to make it a bit stronger, but in the end it is designed for a VERY shallow film over boo-boos left over from other heavier fillers on the market that have been layed on a few times and sanded.

The 1st Bondo photo you show "below" kicked 10 Min's before you even layed it up. It's hooped. Sorry, but you can not lay up glass resin or any 2 part system after it has all ready gone off!!!!   Bad start, and when I see it happen I scrape the last bit and worry about sanding it down later.

I truly wish I had seen this post before. I would have tried to help a bit more along the way.

Please do not spend any more time making these pieces perfect for your build.
Bolt them on as is and ride it for a while. See what happens. 

If that rear seat piece does not crack, split, or explode after being bolted to the frame for 364 days I will personally mail you a check for $100.00.  I will require a photo of your OD before and after so I can see it was ridden ;D

Not trying to be a dick head here Laminar, ..............come on guys ...........tell him what you realy think ;) 

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 06:46:24 am »
Thanks for the insight.

The 1st Bondo photo you show "below" kicked 10 Min's before you even layed it up. It's hooped. Sorry, but you can not lay up glass resin or any 2 part system after it has all ready gone off!!!!   Bad start, and when I see it happen I scrape the last bit and worry about sanding it down later.

As I mentioned in the post, the bondo acted that way because of the texture of the styrofoam. Because it had been cut up with a hacksaw, the styrofoam was more than happy to bead up when I tried applying any bondo.

Based on your recommendation, I might forgo the nice paint job I had in mind and spray-bomb it black to see if it cracks. Again, thanks for the input.

Offline turninwheels

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 07:52:56 am »
Laminar, buddie, it will crack, or totally detach from the foam underneath...as said before, if your seat pan doesn't fly off , or explode in the first couple miles your going to have chuncks of bondo hitting you in the face from the tank...Not trying to rain on your parade, but I'm thinkin saftey...FYI buddie

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 10:24:06 am »
turninwheels - I agree, but my opinion is to not berate someone about their choices, but rather let them learn through personal experience. Give the guy another 20 yrs and he'll have learned a thing a two of what works and what does not. Gaining the experience through hands on efforts will give more results then us telling him to stop.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 12:03:11 pm »
turninwheels - I agree, but my opinion is to not berate someone about their choices, but rather let them learn through personal experience. Give the guy another 20 yrs and he'll have learned a thing a two of what works and what does not. Gaining the experience through hands on efforts will give more results then us telling him to stop.

It's okay, I don't feel berated by what he said. He didn't insult me personally, he just pointed out that my methods weren't the best, and I can deal with that.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Offline turninwheels

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 12:48:49 pm »
As I said, earlier in the thread, Keep it up!, however, I also, wanted to throw caution into the wind...I all for learnin through trial and error...I think your idea is unique, its yours, and that's original.  there's nothing about your idea thats wrong, the process just raised a few red flags, again keep up the idea's, fabrication is a tedious process sometimes, if your unsure the forum is here to guide you...cheers!

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2009, 10:57:22 pm »
I just saw this thread and I would have to agree with Seaweb.  I have done a lot of work with epoxy/glass cloth.  Next time or sooner if this blows apart on you make a mold for the cowling from foam.  Use the pink stuff from Home Despot it comes in sheets up to 2 inches think.  It carves up better than styro.  You could use bondo to fair out the mold.   After you finish the mold you can go two routes from here. Cover it in thin film plastic(epoxy will not stick to this).   Lay on several layers of cloth(8-12 oz cloth) and you can get it to be a stiff enough self supporting structure.  Or you can go with a lighter layup and make stringers out of foam "sticks" glued to the underside and glassed over with cloth and epoxy.  This will provide the stiffness for the thin layup and use less cloth and epoxy than the heavy layup.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:59:43 pm by srust58 »

thomas.clark

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2009, 04:13:31 pm »
After you finish the mold you can go two routes from here. Cover it in thin film plastic(epoxy will not stick to this).   Lay on several layers of cloth(8-12 oz cloth) and you can get it to be a stiff enough self supporting structure. 

question from an inexperienced fiberglasser:  What's the finish like from this process?  Glassy/shiny/smooth, or more textured, kind of like an orange peel?  I've done a bunch of simple surfboard and boat repairs, but want to cook up something a little more polished - I'm thinking of trying to devise something like this for my Nighthawk:

Laminar - sorry for the threadjack.  I love your experimentation - thanks for sharing your thoughts and images from the process. Cheers!