Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3150853 times)

Offline K5owner

• Enthusiast
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9225 on: February 12, 2012, 01:40:59 pm »
Hey Eric, good idea. It sounds like your describing a replacement option for an automotive freeze plug. They come in various sizes and most auto part stores have em.
-Ray
-----------------------------------------------------
Remembering the past...   Livn' the dream

1975 Honda CB750 K5, Restored Aug/2011
1971 Honda CB175 K5, next project
1977 Honda CT70, swap meet scooter
2004 Honda NRX1800 (Rune), Cruiser
1977 Honda GL1000, daily driver

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #9226 on: February 12, 2012, 03:11:46 pm »
Hey Eric, good idea. It sounds like your describing a replacement option for an automotive freeze plug. They come in various sizes and most auto part stores have em.
Yep thats the style Ray. Screw them down and the rubber plug seals perfectly.Sometimes too good. The only danger is for instance when a solution is put in like The Works and you create a chemical reaction with the rust you also create a gas with that reaction that will highly elevate the pressure. You need to let that initial reaction 'breathe' for awhile before capping and also gently burp it occasionaly or when carefully removing .

maduncle

« Reply #9227 on: February 12, 2012, 04:45:36 pm »
Well I've got a special guest in my garage for the next few weeks,

Nice project for you there Terry - I bet that will set the owner back a few litres of your quality time.

So what happened with the POSA experiment??? ::)

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #9228 on: February 12, 2012, 08:40:47 pm »
Rebuilt a set of junk carbs i had for my friends 550. He was frustrated with his carbs and gave up. So i took a crack at it and, well, the carbs were crap. Couldnt figure out what was wrong with them so i just spent the day building a new set. Runs much better even on a bench sync.
Problem fixed

Offline Gruffles

What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9229 on: February 12, 2012, 10:17:04 pm »
Cleaned and organized the garage work space and istalled brand new petcock. The 71 petcock was in a sad state of being!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9230 on: February 12, 2012, 11:12:01 pm »
Well I've got a special guest in my garage for the next few weeks,

Nice project for you there Terry - I bet that will set the owner back a few litres of your quality time.

So what happened with the POSA experiment??? ::)

G'Day Cliff, yep, my liquor cabinet will be bursting at the seams once this job is done, but geez it's nice knowing that the last person to work on this bike was a Honda tech on the assembly line in 1970, when I was only 10 years old! Go back a few pages and you'll see some lovely pics and interesting observations about my POS-A experiment............... ;D

I revived a local Guys nice old family owned stock red 71- 750 last summer that had sat for too many years. Everything went well and bike is on the road but I was really NERVOUS working on it. Unlike when I work on something I own I was always worried bad about messing up something on his.
   Terry were your hands shaking a bit as you took a pull off a Lager or a little Scotch and gave those side covers a pull.   ;D   PS-Hope that Suzy gets you back on the road strong,like those bikes a lot,have one on the want list someday.

Ha ha, I know the feeling Eric, I really do "measure twice and cut once" when working on someone else's bike. I now love my GS1000, I arrived home tonight from work, turned the key, pushed the button (with no chocke) and Varoom! This is the best it's ever run, and will make a great daily rider. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

maduncle

« Reply #9231 on: February 13, 2012, 01:05:57 am »

Terry - start thinking quality over quantity...

Saw this in the Duty Free whiskey shop.

Just in case you could not make out the price ticket

:o

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9232 on: February 13, 2012, 03:43:18 am »
Installed center stand and mocked  up the exhaust.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #9233 on: February 13, 2012, 06:00:48 am »
Finished it...

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9234 on: February 13, 2012, 06:05:29 am »
Jealous over here. Is it running as great as it looks ?  Very nice job.

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #9235 on: February 13, 2012, 06:16:47 am »
love the bike and the black and gray

Offline Ryan66

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9236 on: February 13, 2012, 08:16:17 am »
That bike cant be any better. Everything flows together on it. The colors are perfect
1976 CB550k (cafe project)

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
  • did you bleed when you built that?
What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9237 on: February 13, 2012, 12:24:23 pm »
I sanded on my CB650 side covers and put in an offer on a larger shop space. 870 square feet, windows, bathroom, huge shallow sink, heat but no AC, lots of electric, very secure. My offer was 5 months free for making it rentable and $400.00 a month after that. the guy will likely go for it.
'74 cb 750 K4
'79 CB 650 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9238 on: February 13, 2012, 12:26:35 pm »
I sanded on my CB650 side covers and put in an offer on a larger shop space. 870 square feet, windows, bathroom, huge shallow sink, heat but no AC, lots of electric, very secure. My offer was 5 months free for making it rentable and $400.00 a month after that. the guy will likely go for it.

You mean you will make it have a loft type of setting and live there? Kinda cool if that is what you are doing.... How much money does it take to make a kitchen and everything else? Long term living headquarters?
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #9239 on: February 13, 2012, 12:27:18 pm »

Cool! Looks like there will room for the band to practice too!  ;D
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9240 on: February 13, 2012, 02:37:17 pm »

Or a $500,000 loft.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Sawdust723

• It ain't illegal if you don't get caught.
« Reply #9241 on: February 13, 2012, 06:12:51 pm »
Well I removed the gauges, ignition switch, and indicator rhino horn. Then made a custom mount for a single gauge. Installed led indicator lights in bucket. And proceeded to fix all the po's silly twist and tape connections with solder and shrink tube. O yea and wired up the new guauge and light. I was really nervous at first but just took my time and did one wire at a time. And a surprise at the end witch was unexpected, the the turn signals now blink!!
1974-77 cb750ish
1971 cb350 twin

Offline steam-powered man

• Not the eggman, Not the walrus, I am the
  • Hot Shot
  • Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso
« Reply #9242 on: February 13, 2012, 06:17:46 pm »
wow, getting close:

wired up a start button under the tank (rear), polished/installed the jardine turn-outs, installed the fuel lines/filter, installed a battery tender, put on the tank and seat.

started polishing the wheel/spokes/hub, prolly take a few nights. 
searching for a dr350se

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
« Reply #9243 on: February 13, 2012, 08:44:30 pm »

You mean you will make it have a loft type of setting and live there? Kinda cool if that is what you are doing.... How much money does it take to make a kitchen and everything else? Long term living headquarters?

No I wont be living in the shop.  It is a cool space but I have a sweet apartment and lady friends and cats to think of.  :)  I have a resto partner that I've known since theCB750 F1 came out.  We started being sound guys in the bars together and rode together when we were in our 20s. These days we work together 5 or 10 times a year and laugh about how we started doing audio work so we could meet chics and drink free beer.  He builds Italian Harley Mopeds and Sporties.  He has two Honda CX's 500s that he bought off the showroom floor as well.  We'll split the rent and the rehab of the space.  Our 2 year goal is to finish 3 bikes a piece that we can put in a showroom in a street level space where we would like to do one off job shop style restos. 
'74 cb 750 K4
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
« Reply #9244 on: February 13, 2012, 08:49:35 pm »

Cool! Looks like there will room for the band to practice too!  ;D

Ranger, ha! No band practice in the bike shop.  I do this to get away from my work as roady scum.  :)
'74 cb 750 K4
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #9245 on: February 13, 2012, 09:05:40 pm »
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #9246 on: February 14, 2012, 04:48:45 pm »
drained oil from all three spots - refilled with fresh, and installed magnetic drain plug, and spin on oil filter adapter; connected all hand controls; lubed, and connected throttle cables; reattached the seat, and fitted the tank for some motivation   ;)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9247 on: February 14, 2012, 05:19:27 pm »
drained oil from all three spots - refilled with fresh, and installed magnetic drain plug, and spin on oil filter adapter; connected all hand controls; lubed, and connected throttle cables; reattached the seat, and fitted the tank for some motivation   ;)

I have mentioned this before. Did you drain your oil while on the centerstand ?  I have noticed over the years how much old oil is still left in the engine doing it that way. I have found that when you think the oil has drained it is a good idea to tip it way over to both sides and hold it for a bit if you can. First one side the up straight and let drain then do the other side. A lot of oil becomes trapped in areas that do not drain just straight up. Try it next time you will be surprised. I always drain with the sidestand and a block of wood for that reason.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #9248 on: February 14, 2012, 05:36:47 pm »

I have mentioned this before. Did you drain your oil while on the centerstand ?  I have noticed over the years how much old oil is still left in the engine doing it that way. I have found that when you think the oil has drained it is a good idea to tip it way over to both sides and hold it for a bit if you can. First one side the up straight and let drain then do the other side. A lot of oil becomes trapped in areas that do not drain just straight up. Try it next time you will be surprised. I always drain with the sidestand and a block of wood for that reason.

Eric, I had the bike on the side stand when I took the transmission cover off for inspection.  The case was open, and it drained while tipped on its side.  I only added three quarts, per HondaMan's book, and kicked it over thirty times.  I'll re check the level next week when I see the bike again, but I think I got most of the old oil out.  Thanks for the tip!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9249 on: February 15, 2012, 03:52:42 am »

Terry - start thinking quality over quantity...

Saw this in the Duty Free whiskey shop.

Just in case you could not make out the price ticket

:o

God Almighty! Do you drink it Cliff, or inject it straight into your blood stream? I'll go quantity over quality (within reason, I've got some standards.......) when it comes to prices like that, that's just silly! Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)