Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3148080 times)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #10975 on: June 28, 2012, 05:14:33 am »
The unicorn's butt was loose? Don't tell me how you found that out!

AHHH IPHONE!!!! Not but, meant NUT
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #10976 on: June 28, 2012, 05:23:20 am »
Finally got notification that the chain I ordered for my 750, is finally being shipped after almost a month waiting.

Now I better order those darn bronze bushings, but can't make up my mind which ones::::::

Thoughts.....anyone.....anyone

I think the shouldered bushings are for the later (77/78) models, unless that's just a generic photo.

I do believe you are right.....................So the top ones are on order.........thanks.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline Sniper X

• Resistance is not futile, it is voltage devided by current.
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #10977 on: June 28, 2012, 08:08:24 am »
I want to start working on the 69 CL350 this coming week since I have five days off. Might get it back on the road at elast till I paint it back to stock. Whilst not a SOHC four, it is a SOHC twin!
1973 CB350 Four, 1969 CL350 Scrambler (2) 1985 BMW R80RT.

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #10978 on: June 28, 2012, 09:35:40 am »
The unicorn's butt was loose? Don't tell me how you found that out!

AHHH IPHONE!!!! Not but, meant NUT

Got to love that auto correct makes for good humor
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Accolay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10979 on: June 28, 2012, 10:21:57 am »
Was finally able to test the alternator and rectumfrier. Both check out good. Yuasa battery holds a charge and loses minimal amount over a few days. Going to check what the regulator is tomorrow after work, and replace all the connection terminals- just ordered from vintageconnections.
1977 CB550F

Offline piute

• Piute
  • TRICK OR TREAT...B....es
« Reply #10980 on: June 28, 2012, 07:22:12 pm »

Well replaced the yellow fishbowls with red,What ya think ?

108deg here in lower mid-west U.S.america.,oil right on the 250 mark ,oil cooler on the shopping list will be looking fo info,THX.
Ride to live Live for Jesus
1977 750 F2

Offline longshanks

• Hot Shot
What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #10981 on: June 29, 2012, 02:37:17 pm »
Goodbye ugly gray "rhino-liner" paint!
cb450 K5

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #10982 on: June 29, 2012, 05:25:09 pm »
Finally found my gold CB500 tank that I've been looking for  ;D  I just had to search on Craigslist and ebay a couple years, only to find it with a guy I'd bought some CB parts from two years ago  :o  He didn't remember me at first, but as soon as I saw his bike, and met him, and he remembered selling the seat, it clicked.  I had actually seen the tank on his bike two years ago, before he bought a NOS goldie tank.  Aside from a couple rust spots, and a little fading on the top, it's in great shape.  $47  8) 8)  The inside was nearly spotless, so I threw on a brand new parts'n'more petcock, and swapped it on. 

Can't decide which side cover to go with...I don't have a righty right now   :-\  The gold side cover matches the tank where it's not faded at the seat.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:27:56 pm by Greggo »

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10983 on: June 29, 2012, 06:35:15 pm »
Finally got notification that the chain I ordered for my 750, is finally being shipped after almost a month waiting.

Now I better order those darn bronze bushings, but can't make up my mind which ones::::::

Thoughts.....anyone.....anyone

I think the shouldered bushings are for the later (77/78) models, unless that's just a generic photo.

I do believe you are right.....................So the top ones are on order.........thanks.

I reckon (but I don't know for sure) that the shouldered ones will work fine on the earlier models, because the earlier swingarms require the installation of composite "shoulders" to be installed after the bushes are installed anyway.

I bought a couple of sets of the shouldered bushes recently, I'm gonna give one set to Adam (Radam) for his K6 build, and I'll replace the set on my K1 later this year. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #10984 on: June 29, 2012, 06:35:24 pm »

Can't decide which side cover to go with...I don't have a righty right now   :-\  The gold side cover matches the tank where it's not faded at the seat.

The black side cover looks best to me, goes with the black on the side of the tank. Nice looking bike.
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #10985 on: June 29, 2012, 06:38:20 pm »
Black looks better, the gold one is so nice that it draws the eye away from the tank...Larry

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10986 on: June 29, 2012, 07:01:35 pm »
I likecthe old one better...ha!  Keep both, use what you feel that day?

What's with all the kitty litter Greggo?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #10987 on: June 29, 2012, 08:03:10 pm »
I likecthe old one better...ha!  Keep both, use what you feel that day?

What's with all the kitty litter Greggo?

Spilled a bunch of gas when I was draining the green one.  This bike has red, gold, black, and green tanks!

Offline TheAxehand

« Reply #10988 on: June 29, 2012, 09:02:49 pm »
Bought a 73 cb500 four. Put the carbs on, emptied the 6yo gas out of the tank, fixed some wiring issues and dumped in some fresh gas. Took off the frozen front caliper that the PO had tried to drill out a broken bleeder out of and trashed the caliper! Looking for one..............??
Put the plate from my 75 on and went for a spin. PO said it needed a clutch, nope. Runs and rides great! Need to replace fork seals and freshen up the fork oil and then it's on to cosmetics 8)

Offline letutt

« Reply #10989 on: June 29, 2012, 11:30:54 pm »
I got a phone call from Spring Works in Woods Cross, Utah.  They are done making my custom springs for my 550-four.  I went with something a bit stiffer that also bottoms out a bit later than stock.  I'm stoked!  Picking them up in the morning.  The front end of my 550-four is from a 1967 cb450 for a very classic look.

Pictures please - I am keen to see how the classic CB450 front forks look.

Are they external spring forks?

No they are internal and they look great.  The new springs cost me a pretty penny.  $200 I think they'll worlk out really nice though.  New maintenance free battery Motoatt MB12U from Bikebatts.com $70.  So now all I have to do is let the paint cure, put the fork back together and adjust the little this' and those's and we'll be riding!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:38:30 pm by letutt »

Offline Accolay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10990 on: June 29, 2012, 11:37:30 pm »
Black looks better, the gold one is so nice that it draws the eye away from the tank...Larry
I agree. The gold on the side cover isn't faded like the tank so it stands out too much I think.
1977 CB550F

Offline letutt

« Reply #10991 on: June 29, 2012, 11:39:46 pm »

I like the black side covers too with the gold tank.  Looks real nice.
The black side cover looks best to me, goes with the black on the side of the tank. Nice looking bike.

maduncle

« Reply #10992 on: June 30, 2012, 04:28:43 am »
I got a phone call from Spring Works in Woods Cross, Utah.  They are done making my custom springs for my 550-four.  I went with something a bit stiffer that also bottoms out a bit later than stock.  I'm stoked!  Picking them up in the morning.  The front end of my 550-four is from a 1967 cb450 for a very classic look.

No they are internal and they look great.  The new springs cost me a pretty penny.  $200 I think they'll worlk out really nice though.  New maintenance free battery Motoatt MB12U from Bikebatts.com $70.  So now all I have to do is let the paint cure, put the fork back together and adjust the little this' and those's and we'll be riding!

That looks like a very nice stock CB450K0 to me. Excellent work.

Offline letutt

« Reply #10993 on: June 30, 2012, 09:41:58 am »

Well this is just the first picture from before we "Robert Willard" started tearing it apart.  Today it is getting the final coat of black paint and then with the clear.  Love this bike.

That looks like a very nice stock CB450K0 to me. Excellent work.

Offline manosteel

« Reply #10994 on: June 30, 2012, 11:28:14 am »
Well guys, I finally wrapped my header, I got my clip-ons yesterday, and was able to mount them up today. I had to cut away some of the control housings to fit the throttle and blinker assembly, I need to figure out something for some new shorter cables, also need to find a stock 76 seat pan so i can make up a cafe seat, and still be able to keep my stocker, next is blinkers, and some wiring to finish her up, i was going for a slight cafe rat look, and so far i am pleased with the way it is turning out, found some old drag clip ons, super high quality for 50 bucks, cant complain!  ;D

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10995 on: June 30, 2012, 11:30:51 am »
Well guys, I finally wrapped my header, I got my clip-ons yesterday, and was able to mount them up today. I had to cut away some of the control housings to fit the throttle and blinker assembly, I need to figure out something for some new shorter cables, also need to find a stock 76 seat pan so i can make up a cafe seat, and still be able to keep my stocker, next is blinkers, and some wiring to finish her up, i was going for a slight cafe rat look, and so far i am pleased with the way it is turning out, found some old drag clip ons, super high quality for 50 bucks, cant complain!  ;D

Looks good, are you going to get a muffler?
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline manosteel

« Reply #10996 on: June 30, 2012, 11:34:22 am »

Looks good, are you going to get a muffler?

Dont know yet, I know it will be extremely lound and obnoxious, but there is something about the naked headers.... i made a custom muffler, but I need to weld in a baffle. Thank you though.

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #10997 on: June 30, 2012, 12:23:17 pm »
The 550 ran out of juice the other day  :( (probably from being in rush hour for an hour and a half  mostly under 2 to 3k rpms :o, and having my high beam on half the time :o, and being 100+ degrees didn't help  :o) So I recharged... and then finally went through the rats nest... cleaned and tidied things up! Tested the charging system (should have done that before huh). Looks good!
And then today, reluctantly dropped it off to my sis to ride while I find her a bike.
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10998 on: June 30, 2012, 12:32:05 pm »
Mano - bike looks good. Really needs a muffler for some back pressure.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline IndyFour

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10999 on: June 30, 2012, 12:48:10 pm »
Replaced my clutch cable....again.  I replaced the original with a Motion Pro several months ago just as a precaution.  It failed at the clutch lever last month......replaced it with the original that I had kept.  It failed last weekend in the same place.  The Motion Pro cable did not come with a little plastic "bushing" that goes between the cable end and the clutch lever and my original broke in pieces, so I have been going without.  Apparently this little plastic piece is pretty important as it protects the cable end from undue friction.  The Parts Unilimited branded cable that I got today has the piece, so fingers crossed this one will last for a while  I bought two just in case (one to go in my tail bag if I go very far from home...for piece of mind).

1974 CB550K
2000 VFR800FIY