Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3157803 times)

Offline MickB

• Expert
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #18075 on: July 18, 2014, 02:55:19 pm »

Took a lovely hour ride up to a lake. Bike was running really well, although it felt a little "pogo stick" bouncy on the front end when I was on the highway. Got to the lake and enjoyed the scenery with my wife. Came back to the bike to find the electrical sidecover missing. I really hope someone is enjoying one OEM sidecover.... It would have made more sense for them to take both of them.

Mongrel thieves.

I took my wife for hot lap around the circuit and she loved it, she's always been a speed freak.

Regards

Mick

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18076 on: July 18, 2014, 02:59:03 pm »
Mocked up my 605cc build.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #18077 on: July 18, 2014, 03:08:30 pm »
Looking great Tews. I like.
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18078 on: July 18, 2014, 04:39:38 pm »

+1.  but need to polish that stator cover now since the sprocket cover looks so good.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18079 on: July 18, 2014, 04:45:08 pm »
Felt like smokin', so took the RD350 out for a ride!

What a great weird weather day, a cold front came through last night, only got up to 72 degrees today.
Unheard of in Texas in July, I loved it.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18080 on: July 18, 2014, 04:50:21 pm »

+1.  but need to polish that stator cover now since the sprocket cover looks so good.

I would but the sprocket cover is chromed.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #18081 on: July 18, 2014, 05:34:22 pm »
Took a lovely hour ride up to a lake. Bike was running really well, although it felt a little "pogo stick" bouncy on the front end when I was on the highway. Got to the lake and enjoyed the scenery with my wife. Came back to the bike to find the electrical sidecover missing. I really hope someone is enjoying one OEM sidecover.... It would have made more sense for them to take both of them.
Hate to say but that stuff has been going on even "back in the day" The old sidecover thieves. Back then you could still buy a descent color match from the factory but nowadays you cannot. Either the guy needed it or it will show up on E-bay from a crack-head. Some people put a little extra security on them so they cannot just be pulled and ran but it may have to included an extra drilled little hole   ;)

Offline MarshallCS

• The Audio Ninja
  • The things I can control are in control
« Reply #18082 on: July 18, 2014, 05:40:42 pm »
Sorry about that. Could it have blown off?   :(

Quite possibly, but it's nice to think that someone else has a purpose for my cover, rather than thinking of it all lonely on the side of the road.

MickB - I like riding with her as well, but she's still kinda scared to ride. I need to find a low backrest for her. Something that doesn't look too ugly.
First and Only Bike
1978 Honda CB750F Supersport

Offline MarshallCS

• The Audio Ninja
  • The things I can control are in control
« Reply #18083 on: July 18, 2014, 05:42:41 pm »
Hate to say but that stuff has been going on even "back in the day" The old sidecover thieves. Back then you could still buy a descent color match from the factory but nowadays you cannot. Either the guy needed it or it will show up on E-bay from a crack-head. Some people put a little extra security on them so they cannot just be pulled and ran but it may have to included an extra drilled little hole   ;)

Can you tell me more about the extra security. I certainly wouldn't mind it, either so it doesn't get stolen or fly off on the highway.

The good ones are going for a decent penny on ebay (160ish I saw for a pair.) Sadly mine were in great condition.
First and Only Bike
1978 Honda CB750F Supersport

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18084 on: July 18, 2014, 06:26:18 pm »
The electrical side is popular for thieves because its the one that gets broken the most on the old bikes . People accessing the fuses and other gadgets behind it take a toll on those covers where the oil tank cover just lingers there with the security of the cap to keep it from being blown off. There may be another poster who may say the they have secured the electrical side maybe with a small drilled hole and some type of other safety type of wire or other connecting device to save a blow off or make it harder for a casual thief.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18085 on: July 18, 2014, 06:44:13 pm »
 Sure I am boring the masses but went pickin' this morning and had a little lead on some Honda parts. Hit this guy and ended up throwing a 76F loaded roller frame with   3 big totes of engine and other parts in the van for a very low price. Somebody's  resto gone bad.  Like to get the rear and front hydraulics on those when I can plus all the other tid bits like airbox etc etc. He had sold the seat and tank already darn it. No camera on the run but here was the add from a large country area with lots of sales slightly to my southeast.
   Again more torn down engine parts  ::)  Will say this F engine had an R1 cam so shows they are not early numbers people.Free cases or cranks if anybody stops by-- no shippin   ;)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18086 on: July 18, 2014, 06:49:35 pm »
Eric how could you pass on the "big red" or is that already unloaded from your trailer? I saw it said 3 wheeler so hopefully you got the one with reverse!

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18087 on: July 18, 2014, 07:18:26 pm »
Eric how could you pass on the "big red" or is that already unloaded from your trailer? I saw it said 3 wheeler so hopefully you got the one with reverse!
Funny you mention that Nick. I went back after I unloaded the first batch of treasure because that intrigued me. Never had much love for the 3 wheelers because I always wanted to run my foot over on those by not keeping them on the pegs. Well a neighbor that I talked to bought it while I was away for less than $175.00 that the guy was asking. He has a bunch of them and seemed very pleased with that purchase. Said he thought it just needed a fuel line, carb clean etc ?? It was was big and beefy, think I should have grabbed that along with my $70.00 F bike.
  A lot of these people in this area live in "corn" farm country and everybody is runnin' 4 wheel and the old 3 wheelers out there. Seen a bunch for sale.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:20:45 pm by ekpent »

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18088 on: July 18, 2014, 07:24:15 pm »
Funny you mention that Nick. I went back after I unloaded the first batch of treasure because that intrigued me. Never had much love for the 3 wheelers because I always wanted to run my foot over on those by not keeping them on the pegs. Well a neighbor that I talked to bought it while I was away for less than $175.00 that the guy was asking. He has a bunch of them and seemed very pleased with that purchase. Said he thought it just needed a fuel line, carb clean etc ?? It was was big and beefy, think I should have grabbed that along with my $70.00 F bike.
  A lot of these people in this area live in "corn" farm country and everybody is runnin' 4 wheel and the old 3 wheelers out there. Seen a bunch for sale.

Lol hilarious!  With the run over foot comment I take it you been on a few! Those things will grab the foot and such the leg in soon after!  I bought a 110 for my boys 2 summers ago. It didn't last after that as my now 14 yr old had his foot/leg rolled up on it. But the nail in the coffin was my then 8 yr old nephew blasting across the farm in the UP trying to catch up to my boys on the 4 wheeler.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18089 on: July 18, 2014, 07:36:18 pm »

Lol hilarious!  With the run over foot comment I take it you been on a few! Those things will grab the foot and such the leg in soon after!  I bought a 110 for my boys 2 summers ago. It didn't last after that as my now 14 yr old had his foot/leg rolled up on it. But the nail in the coffin was my then 8 yr old nephew blasting across the farm in the UP trying to catch up to my boys on the 4 wheeler.
Glad you know what I mean !! Tried them and could not find love but think I should have bought this one today, they have been outlawed for quite some time and it looked better over in his farm lot then when I saw it in the morning at the other farm. I have never checked E-bay for those if they are even allowed as for value. Maybe I need me some Ed u fi cation--. Do people want these machines ??

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18090 on: July 18, 2014, 07:48:33 pm »
Not sure on the collectible side. I bought mine for 325.... Took a loss and sold it to a family who wanted to bring it to Mexico. I was glad to see it leave! They are death traps!

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #18091 on: July 19, 2014, 04:29:46 am »

I took off the battery tray under the cafe seat, modified it to give me an inch more clearance above the rear tyre and fitted the gel battery.

Then I fitted the new old stock steering stabiliser knob.

Then I did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqkqeY86irc

Love a 'first kick fire up'.
CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #18092 on: July 19, 2014, 04:51:38 am »
...finished the candygold stuff  :P
Honda CB750 K0 & K0 & K1 & K1 & K2 & K2 & K6

Offline b5rider

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18093 on: July 19, 2014, 07:53:19 am »
installed a sidecar. scary, but fun
1984 Honda Elite 150
1998 Yamaha 650
2004 Honda 750 ACE
1975 CB550
1978 CB400A
1978 CB550 now 603cc w/sidecar

The key to life is to make sure the line to put flowers on your grave is longer than the one to piss on it.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #18094 on: July 19, 2014, 10:21:28 am »
...finished the candygold stuff  :P
Candy Gold K0, that's the first I've seen, very interesting...

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #18095 on: July 19, 2014, 05:41:46 pm »

I took off the battery tray under the cafe seat, modified it to give me an inch more clearance above the rear tyre and fitted the gel battery.

Then I fitted the new old stock steering stabiliser knob.

Then I did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqkqeY86irc

Love a 'first kick fire up'.

G'day Cliff, I was over at Ace yesterday chatting to Jeff and I told him that you'd posted how happy you were with his work, he couldn't believe how that bike ran at all when you brought it in with the cam timing out so badly? Anyway, he's pleased that you've given him a good wrap here, there aren't too many "mechanics" around Melbourne who'd touch our old bikes, so we need to get the word out there! Cheers, Terry. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Sparked

• Hot Shot
  • Cheaper then therapy
« Reply #18096 on: July 19, 2014, 09:56:40 pm »

Finished installing the aftermarket seat cover.
1972 CB350F
1982 CM450A
1961 Ford Falcon (time for four wheels)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18097 on: July 19, 2014, 10:24:10 pm »

That looks good mate, did it take long to install/set up? I'd love to install a "chair" on my Goldwing, but I haven't found one I like yet. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline b5rider

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18098 on: July 20, 2014, 07:39:26 am »

That looks good mate, did it take long to install/set up? I'd love to install a "chair" on my Goldwing, but I haven't found one I like yet. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Thanks Terry, it took a good couple of hours to set up. There are many variables such as run out (how far forward the sidecar axle is in relation to the bike's rear axle), toe in, bike lean out (the bike has to have a slight lean away from the sidecar), trail, etc. It is a bit of a work in progress, but we got it pretty close to neutral in order to learn how to ride.
 BTW, If you think you get stopped and asked questions with an old Honda, wait until you attach a sidecar; I was accosted twice yesterday just going to get gas. All of my trips take twice as long because of all the questions people ask. I'll probably have to carry a spare helmet because, invariably, one of the questions is always "can I have a ride".
1984 Honda Elite 150
1998 Yamaha 650
2004 Honda 750 ACE
1975 CB550
1978 CB400A
1978 CB550 now 603cc w/sidecar

The key to life is to make sure the line to put flowers on your grave is longer than the one to piss on it.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18099 on: July 21, 2014, 04:04:31 am »
Yeah mate, my cousin has a 1944 Indian Chief with a chair on it, and it's a chick magnet. He carries a spare helmet in the chair because there's always some lady wanting to go for a ride. Here's a pic of my cuz preparing to break up another marriage...... ;D