Author Topic: Someone rode a CB750 round the perimeter of Austraila for a bet in the 70's  (Read 20441 times)

betk10

30 odd years ago, I (think) I watched a TV program about a bloke who rode round the perimeter of Australia in about 10 days for a wager. He crashed along the way, and finished up riding at 100mph for 14hrs per day. The program was presented by David Niven, and was later released on Video (No DVDs then !!)
I didn't dream it did I ? Anyone else remember it, and have any more information about it.
I didn't own a CB750 in the 70's, but certainly wanted one after that....my 1968 Bonneville would have struggled to keep up.
Anyone got the video ??
Keith
U.K.

Offline vanillagorilla

• When did I become a
  • Hot Shot
    • The ole Facebook Profile...
Yeah I would like to see that!!! It'd make Ewan McGregor and his GS look like a walk in the park!
1978 CB750K 1976 Z1 2 Trail 90s

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
G'Day Keith, you're correct mate, his name was Julian Grant and he did it for a bet of a whopping 20,000 bucks (a CB750 cost around $2,000) and he circumnavigated Oz in 19 days.

An incredible effort for the time (around 1975, from memory) as a lot of the roads he travelled were dirt, with extreme weather conditions and all sorts of nasty bitey beasts along the way. At one stage he "flipped" his 750 and destroyed his rear wheel and alternator cover, but was able to buy some parts off a local blokes bike (probably for a lot of money..........) to get his bike going again. Honda used to run a 2 page ad in most bike mags here with a pic of Julian sitting on a shiny new K6, but I'm guessing that it wasn't his bike, it looks way too pristine...........

I haven't seen the documentary, but if you find it, can you send me a copy mate? Cheers, Terry. ;D  
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

betk10

Thanks for the reply, was he an Aussie ?? although I don't think he was. He was filmed chasing buffalos and overtaking lorries on dusty tracks where he "had to hope" nothing was coming the other way...so they said anyway.
I'll certainly research it a bit more now I've got his name.
Who did he have the bet with is the next question..and did he pay up?

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Yeah mate, I'm not sure, but I thought he was Canadian? I just did a google search, but came up with nothing, so best of luck! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
Here you go!
Cliff.

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
here y'go.
Sorry, I'll find something better.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline MickeyX

• Master
He only ships to UK. dangit. I hope someone here buys it and then gets it converted to dvd. That would be so cool to watch it.
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)
2006 HD 883 Sportster, stock. No use changing it, it's still gonna be a Harley.

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
Wow!! This is something I have to see!

if I buy the Super 8 can someone transfer it to DVD?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:23:35 pm by andy750 »
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline vanillagorilla

• When did I become a
  • Hot Shot
Where are our brothers from across the pond when we need 'em??? Someone needs to convert this over to DVD, for posterity's sake(oh ok, its for me).

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
Wow!! This is something I have to see!

if I buy the Super 8 can someone transfer it to DVD?

Wouldn't that be in PAL too?  I think you'd also have a tv standard conversion to do  ???
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
Watch out!...Euro DVD's dont work here!! Crazyass, but US DVD machines ' reject' E.U.DVD's unless they say ' all regions'...just FYI.
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline Queeg

• insane fuel junkie
  • Enthusiast
  • OY! with the poodles allready!
    • Queegs Problems
Watch out!...Euro DVD's dont work here!! Crazyass, but US DVD machines ' reject' E.U.DVD's unless they say ' all regions'...just FYI.
my computer is non regional.... so i dont think its a problem.
 but man i would lave to see that too. i would even show it for amovie night1
guess who?

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
I just bought that Super 8 tape from Ebay.
I've got the gear for converting VHS tapes to DVD in either PAL or NTSC format.
Once the Super 8 tape is onto a VHS tape it should be all go.
The only hiccup that I can see is getting the Super 8 onto VHS unless I can get my hands onto a Super 8 player (beg, borrow or steal) and plug that into the magic box to digitalise it.
I'll give it a go for sure and let you guys know.
Mick
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline vanillagorilla

• When did I become a
  • Hot Shot
Hell yes! Looking forward to watching that!!!

Offline ev0lve

• Master
The only hiccup that I can see is getting the Super 8 onto VHS unless I can get my hands onto a Super 8 player (beg, borrow or steal) and plug that into the magic box to digitise it.
Mick

I thought most cheap conversions were video of the movie being played on a screen - capture it with a high def camera, clean it up as you like in your favorite editor and burn. Doing a frame by frame scan would take some bucks and/or serious equipment.

You should be able to get a working super 8 projector at your local second hand store and a nice clean white wall would do the trick.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Offline heyjones

• Enthusiast
I would love to see that video!
1976 CB750K
My Build Thread

Offline MickeyX

• Master
Me too! When you are ready with it, just let me know how much for a copy.  8) It would be cool to do a screening and have a SOHC4 "date night" with everyone on here. I always ready with the popcorn.  ;D

I'm wondering who's copy this was? Is it the original, a copy of his original or a tape off of the tv when it was aired? Hmmm, can't wait to see what you find with it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:13:53 pm by MickeyX »
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
Put me down for a copy - would love to see it... and willing to pay a few dollars for it.....or donate to the site..

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
The only hiccup that I can see is getting the Super 8 onto VHS unless I can get my hands onto a Super 8 player (beg, borrow or steal) and plug that into the magic box to digitise it.
Mick

I thought most cheap conversions were video of the movie being played on a screen - capture it with a high def camera, clean it up as you like in your favorite editor and burn. Doing a frame by frame scan would take some bucks and/or serious equipment.

You should be able to get a working super 8 projector at your local second hand store and a nice clean white wall would do the trick.

I need to do some homework on this and what you are saying is possibly the only way that it could be done.
What I would like to find out is if there is some way of getting the footage from the Super 8 onto VHS without using a camera.
I've never done it before that way but I'll make some enquiries about that.
If I can somehow get the footage onto VHS then it's full bore ahead digitalising it for DVD.
Another option is maybe to take it to one of these media production crowds and get them to make a quality master copy.
It's got a 14,000 km trip to do first from London to Darwin (Aus) but at least something will happen to share with everyone once it gets here.
Mick  
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
or donate to the site..

That's an excellent idea which would be for the benefit of everyone here.
Mick
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline ev0lve

• Master
Mick

I need to do some homework on this and what you are saying is possibly the only way that it could be done.
What I would like to find out is if there is some way of getting the footage from the Super 8 onto VHS without using a camera.
If I can somehow get the footage onto VHS then it's full bore ahead digitalising it for DVD.
Another option is maybe to take it to one of these media production crowds and get them to make a quality master copy.
It's got a 14,000 km trip to do first from London to Darwin (Aus) but at least something will happen to share with everyone once it gets here.
Mick  

Hard to dig up a price but here's some folks in Victoria
http://avidtech.com.au/documents/frame-by-frame-how-it-works.html

Offline MickeyX

• Master
ya know, if you go to the local high school, they probably have some old geek of a geezer that knows where their old projector still is or how to get their hands on one...  ;) then you could at least watch it 1 time to see if it's in good shape and worth getting it transferred. or ask around your family and friends. There are always some in someone's attic.  ;D

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
Mick

Mick  

Hard to dig up a price but here's some folks in Victoria
http://avidtech.com.au/documents/frame-by-frame-how-it-works.html

Thanks Iggy
The more I think about it, it makes sense to give it to a professional crowd to have it done properly.
Because it is such an old film and not something that can be bought from the local DVD shop, it should be given the best possible chance.
I'll shoot them off an email and make an enquiry.
Mick
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline MickeyX

• Master
also, it may be brittle since it's almost 40 yrs old.