Author Topic: 1977 CB850 Cafe, Complete, Updated pics!  (Read 28062 times)

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
  • Oh, so this is where you type the text...
Re: 1977 CB811cc Cafe, IT'S ALIVE!!
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2011, 07:05:26 pm »
Dang, Ive been away too long.... :o the whole look of the site has changed..

anyway, new things that have happened, well the engine was tapping so I tore it back down, the exhaust valves were tapping the pistons about .005 deep. so I said screw it >:( sold the cylinders and the pistons, got another cylinder, and the Cycle X 849cc kit with DEEP valve releases cut in them, had all of it machined again ::) Had the head re-worked new guides and all stainless Manley valves. Just got the head and cylinder back from the machine shop Saturday, installed the pistons, cylinders, and head today. I still have to do the cam towers and all, but hope to have it running again by this weekend!!
I didn't get pictures this time around of everything going together, I just wanted to get it back together.. lol ;)

I hope to have a new video, and pics up by the weekend!

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: 1977 (not CB811cc).. CB850cc Cafe, almost alive again...
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2011, 07:24:42 pm »
Brian,

Congrats and JUST IN TIME. Just so happens I know how you can break it in  ;) Godzilla calls! Haven't you learned a lot through this ordeal!!

Jerry
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2011, 07:37:37 pm »
Thanks Jerry,
Well, I don't know if it will be ride-able in time for that, I wish it was but, I have so much little crap left to do just to get it road ready. I haven't even looked at it for about a month or more until today, just been busy with life, and work, which has finally picked up a little bit here lately. I figured the relay had already made it's way through Texas by now?
As for learning a lot in this adventure, ah....... you need DEEP pockets.....! ;D
Trying to figure out how to find postings now that the site has changed..  ;)

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2011, 09:09:22 pm »
Having carb trouble now.... :o they worked fine when it ran last, and when I pulled them off I drained them and flushed them with carb cleaner. They are clean, I have taken them off and on so many times now, to check and recheck.. lol. I think my carb boots are leaking and letting air suck in, it won't idle for $h*t, but I'll get it...
Here is how it is sitting right now, still need to finish side covers, seat, and make up all my electrical connections.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2011, 10:28:21 pm »
Hey Brian,

We'll be headed through Kansas in 2 weeks if you need to do a break in of that nice bike  ;) Head north, you can't miss us. If you don't catch us headed east I'll be riding alone headed back west a couple days later.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline SF

• Hot Shot
  • I burn gas very well
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2011, 06:01:47 am »
LOOKS GOOD MAN! THE WHITE ON BLACK REALLY POP THE LETTERING ON THE TIRES, WHAT SIZE DID YOU GO WITH ?
92 wr250 sold
98 zx6r sold
04 zx10r
73 cb350 twin
75 cb550f
75 cb550f
72 r5c
rgid springer bobber project

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2011, 07:34:05 am »
LOOKS GOOD MAN! THE WHITE ON BLACK REALLY POP THE LETTERING ON THE TIRES, WHAT SIZE DID YOU GO WITH ?
    thanks man, I went with a 140/90/16 rear, and a 100/90/19 on the front.

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2011, 07:37:04 am »
Hey Brian,

We'll be headed through Kansas in 2 weeks if you need to do a break in of that nice bike  ;) Head north, you can't miss us. If you don't catch us headed east I'll be riding alone headed back west a couple days later.
  Jerry, I'll try, but it's not running right at the moment and I can't seem to figure out what the issue is, may have to drill the idle jets out a bit. Still have to tag, and insure it also... Lol so much to do in 2 weeks.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2011, 08:12:35 am »
Looking really good Brian.  You are going to love that engine.

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2011, 07:32:50 pm »
Looking really good Brian.  You are going to love that engine.

Yea, if I can ever get it to run right....lol  I have determined the carb boots are bad and leaking so I just ordered a new set from cb750supply, those guys are great and ship fast! So hopefully once i get the new boots on i will be able to sync the carbs and get it to smooth out.

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
Re: 1977 CB750K bored to 849cc Cafe build
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2011, 10:37:07 pm »
Are you using any filter at all on there?  from the pic it looks like nothing is there.  I know without a proper cone to increase velocity those carbs act funky.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2011, 09:10:52 pm »
Are you using any filter at all on there?  from the pic it looks like nothing is there.  I know without a proper cone to increase velocity those carbs act funky.

I have some crappy EMGO pod filters on there now, at that time of the picture there wasn't anything on the carbs, was going to run stacks, but it's kinda dusty out here in the sticks...

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2011, 12:55:39 am »
filters dirty maybe?  might want to triple check those passages too, you wouldn't be the first member to not catch everything the first few times.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2011, 07:59:06 pm »
Carbs, are clean, I have taken them off plenty times....lol All ports have had a torch tip cleaner wire ran through, carb cleaner, and air blown through. Turns out the reason it wouldn't idle was the valve lash, had it set at .005 and .006 had to take it out to .012 I don't have specs on the cam, no one on the forum seemed to recognize it. Member 754 told me that the RC315 cam, the lash was set to .012 and this cam is close to looking the same.
So it idles now, runs down the road, but I think they may be out of sync, I checked them on the gauges and all pointed to the same number as if they were synced, but it doesn't seem to idle smooth, and it will idle up to like 2k on it's own as if the #2 carb is out of sync. I'm thinking the slide rod is slightly bent, and causing it to hang, cause it doesn't idle down when you pop the throttle and rev it up, you have to push the #2 carb rod down.
I checked the timing advance and made sure it was free and closing, cleaned and oiled it, it's working fine.

running 125 main jets, 40 idle jets, 1 or 1 1/4 turns out on the air screws, it hesitates on take off in first gear, after it reaches 2k rpm, it pulls hard and smooths out good.....! ;D

Had a set back, my gas tank had some pin holes through someones crappy brazing job, that I for some reason didn't re-do ::) and it come back to bite me in the @$$ started bubbling my bondo, and paint. I stripped it back down in the bad spots, sealed them then Kreemed the inside of the tank.

Then, today found that my caliper was just pouring brake fluid out >:( turns out for some reason I left the old seal in it, and had the new on my table, stuck it in and all is well..

I should be picking the seat up Friday from the upholstery shop, this is how it sits now, I still have to paint the left side cover, but it's almost complete.

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
Re: 1977 CB850 Cafe (Almost complete!)
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2011, 02:09:56 am »
Lookin good.  And mine does the stumble and from2k up is good too.  But I know my timing and sync is off.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Coyote13

• Hot Shot
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2011, 07:20:09 am »
Man I haven't checked this thread in a few months, seems you've made some SERIOUS progress.  That thing is absolutely going to rip with a good tune.  On a side note, I'm running 125 mains on my stock 750 with those same crappy emgo pods, you may need to think about going a little bit bigger to compensate for your extra displacement.  Just a thought.

Edit for clarification:  mine does run, oh, just a tad rich.  Runs like a cheetah with a firecracker up its ass though.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:56:31 am by CoyoteUSP »
'78 CB750K.  Throttle ripper.
'71 CB100.  Grocery getter.
'01 XL883.  Panty dropper. Gone but not forgotten.

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2011, 11:28:39 pm »
Thanks man!
I have put around 120 miles on it, but it's not running right, have the carbs off again for the millionth time ::)
I had the needles all the way up, with 125 mains, seems to be too rich, hanging in the 3 to 4k range and stays there, tightened the springs on the timing advancer, helped a lot, but still hangs so took the carbs off again to try some 120mains and move the needles down a couple nothes and see how that works.

Here is a crappy picture, but it's with the seat, I changed my mind on using the cowl just covered the whole thing in black vinyl with white stitching. I still need to paint the left side cover, I modified the ugly kerker bracket also, if you can see in the picture it's on the passenger peg now, had to cut around 3" off the header to do this.
When it is Complete I will get better pictures!

Offline jradofarms

« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2011, 05:36:25 pm »
hey! where did you get those little side blinkers for the seat? those are awesome. I know you made your seat custom, but I am looking for one just like it. Anyone know where i can get a 2 up cafe like that or like this with a removable cowl?

thanks

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2011, 11:22:33 am »
hey! where did you get those little side blinkers for the seat? those are awesome. I know you made your seat custom, but I am looking for one just like it. Anyone know where i can get a 2 up cafe like that or like this with a removable cowl?

thanks

I bought the turn signals off of ebay man. as for a seat, nah, just make one!
Good luck man!

Offline immortal

• Enthusiast
    • 1976 CB750F "Pegasus bike"
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2011, 11:53:33 am »
Looking very nice. What size Bridgestones do you have on the front there?
Sometimes...the hard thing and the right thing are the same thing!

1976 CB750F "Pegasus Bike"

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80492.0

MDL8440

« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2011, 02:07:30 pm »
Hey Brian77cb750 ,

I notice your signature say's you're in Lindale and you've said multiple times you get many of your parts from a Honda Salvage near your place.  What's the name of that salvage yard or if you have an address or number that would be awesome.  I actually used to live in Edom and went to high school in Van and now live in Dallas.  I am looking at buying my first CB750 and figure the salvage yard you use might be a good source to have. 

Thanks man.

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2011, 03:53:35 pm »
<iframe width="425" height="349" src=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well here is a video of the bike on the road ;) ;D I hope it works, can't seem to figure out how to paste it directly in the thread, just a link to youtube.

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
Re: 1977 CB850 Cafe, Complete, Updated pics!
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2011, 02:50:32 pm »
I'm just now getting around to taking decent pictures today, The bike has been pretty much complete since late April. I have just been busy, riding it more so than taking pictures of it.. ;D
I had it in a local car show in my home town, and rode it to Lake O The Pines, which is around 100 miles or so one way on the 1st of Oct, for the NTNOA bike rally, It was a lot of fun, we camped out for the weekend and had a blast. The bike made it there just fine, on the way back I was about 6 or 7 miles from my parents house, they kept my son for my wife and I over the weekend, and my stinking throttle cable snapped....lol So I had to idle it up with the adjustment screw and ride in 1st and 2nd gear to my parents and left it there. It's all good now, made another cable, and rode it today after cleaning it up for about 3hrs for these pictures. Things I will do though is add an oil cooler, maybe and oil temp gauge, and redo, the way i have the case breather, it oils my rear tire for me ;). I feel I need the oil cooler on longer rides, I have rode it quite a bit around my area and in town, but never anything that was 2hr ride like the last trip I made. I have around 700-800 miles on it now.
Anyway here's a few pics, and also a couple from the rally/show.

The Rally show

The Rally after everyone had a few beers..... Redneck Dyno.... ::)

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
Re: 1977 CB850 Cafe, Complete, Updated pics!
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2011, 07:02:39 am »
Looking good Brian.  Thanks for sharing.