Author Topic: 1972 CB750 - A.K.A PROJECT "JuNK" PROGRESS/PICS/UPDATES--> Last Updated 9/11/14  (Read 51683 times)

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS LAST UPDATED 9/20/06-> Steering Dampener Install
« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2006, 12:31:42 am »
Glad that you're happy mate, but if you're not sure what I meant by "swan neck" clip on's, here's a pic. Still clip ons, but much comfier riding position with plenty of up and down adjustment. These are very expensive European bars, but there are plenty of simpler and cheaper versions of the same theme. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS LAST UPDATED 9/20/06-> Steering Dampener Install
« Reply #226 on: September 25, 2006, 07:30:22 pm »
PT,I should have been agreeing with bwaller in that it would not turn left, I was looking at it back to front.
Looking at it again it looks like a standard Kawasaki damper, the type that is alowed to pivot at the damper body mounting point, thus reducing the amount of travel needed by the plunger.
Please don't take offence, I am sure bwaller was as concerned as I was for you not to hurt yourself or the lovley bike.  ;D ;D

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

AR-Guy

« Reply #227 on: September 25, 2006, 07:37:56 pm »
You might need to get some "swan neck" clip ons  ;D 

Did a search for swan neck and did not find bars  ;D do you have a source?

Like the way the dampener is mounted. Looks like it would be out of the way and still easy to get to.  I need ?want one of those.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #228 on: September 25, 2006, 08:46:38 pm »
Please don't take offence, I am sure bwaller was as concerned as I was for you not to hurt yourself or the lovley bike. ;D
Hey man , no harm no foul.
You guys got me thinking about if I had mounted it wrong, so I went home and checked  ;D
The bike rides SO much better with the dampener , especially when that big wheels hit bumps/cracks in the road...
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #229 on: September 25, 2006, 09:01:02 pm »
 ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
* Project Update 10-22-2006 *
Hey all, figured I would let ya all in on what is going in with the scoot..
1. BLACK WHEELS !
It was a balmy day here in Chicagoland yesterday (60) , so I decided to take some time and enjoy what weather we have
left and paint the wheels on the CB. Ever since my buddy built his all black Triumph, I have dug the black wheel look (see below)
So instead of breaking  everything down , I masked everything off, and painted the wheels on the bike ! I know , I know, I love punishment :o, but it actually turned out pretty killer. I first did a good sanding to make sure all the crap was offa the wheel itself - then I cleaned with some paint prep to get all the grease and junk off - Taped the entire tire - then I taped each spoke nipple , the proceded to tape off all the spokes on each side..After both wheels were masked , I started with light coats of black metal primer, to help the paint stick to the wheel. After that I started with light coats of my favorite, DUPLI-COLOR LOW GLOSS ENGINE ENAMEL  ;D I have had great luck with this stuff in the past, and I know from experience how hard it is for this crap to come off, thus my choice. So far I am about 1/2 way done, as I need it to be alittle warmer out (32 today :-\) before i can put on a few more coats - PICS TO COME SOON....
2. SMOOTH TOP TRIPLE TREE
The smooth top tree project is going well, just haven't had much time to do anything , let alone work on that. I almost done griding the tree smooth, and will do the final "shaping" with a hand file. I need to have my chassis buddy weld in some more alum. in one little spot where i grinded thru, but it isn't a big deal. Once it is done and I am happy with it's shape, I am gonna use some sand paper to get is as smooth as I can before I spray it.
I could powdercoat, but thats too much $$ , so I plan to do the same process I did to my wheels, and use lots of the low - gloss engine enamel paint on it. The stock "dashboard" is gonna go bye-bye, and the idiot lights are gonna be moved to a Lucas/Triumph headlight bucket I have being sandblasted at the moment. The bucket will be Line-x'ed to match the tank, and will sport a chrome trim-ring to offset all the black on the scoot.. I am also ditching the Tach on the bike, as now will be running zero gauges. I have rode all year without a speedo, and ditching the tach will make the bike look that much cleaner..This should clean up the handlebar area nicely, and give it a much more simple/clean look.

Besides that - thats pretty much all I got going for the bike this winter.
I just wanna get the front-end/triple tree project done , re-wire up some turn signals,and other little things...

ProTeal Out...
* Check out my gallery for ever-changing pics of my scoot's progress, chicks, etc... ;)*
[/size]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 01:10:52 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline EBCB

• Earache Motorsports
[b
I could powdercoat, but thats too much $$ ,
I'll powdercoat it for you for free - is that cheap enough? ;D I'm doing a bunch of black stuff next week and can toss yours in with it if you'd like.

Eric

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS LAST UPDATED 10/22/06-> General Update
« Reply #232 on: October 22, 2006, 01:06:01 pm »
I'll powdercoat it for you for free - is that cheap enough? ;D I'm doing a bunch of black stuff next week and can toss yours in with it if you'd like.
Free is good , but it wont be done/ready for awhile.
Thanks for the offer though... ;D

Offline kach_me

• Hot Shot
« Reply #233 on: October 24, 2006, 05:31:06 pm »
PT, where'd you get the dampner?  Also, will it make the bike "less squirrelly on our lovely Illinois roads (esp. around bumpy corners)?  Lastly, about how much did it cost? 

O... also, send some of those girls downstate... we don't usually see them built quite that nicely here.   
1976 CB 750K - Stock / No mods (yet).

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2006, 06:45:20 pm »
PT, where'd you get the dampner?
Lastly, about how much did it cost?
Check out the thread on Dampners below --->
http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=10547.0
Also, will it make the bike "less squirrelly on our lovely Illinois roads (esp. around bumpy corners)?
It made a night and day difference in how the bike rode - handled bumps - etc..
Def. worth the time and money... ;)

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB500 ~ member #3791
    • http://instagram.com/moto_bunny#
« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2006, 09:05:57 pm »
ProT - I had to use a couple of those U clamp thingies when I put my crash bars on my bike. The really good hardware store down the road from me (which has some of the most obscure stuff . .I'm serious) had those clamps in stainless. I've been switching to stainless hardware on my whole engine & bike so I went that way with the clamps, too - they look tuff, 4 sure.

Just an idea. . . Home Despot only has regular steel ones (at least the ones here were like that). If you can't find them, I would be glad to pick one up for you .  . . they were like $6-8 apiece or something.  :)

oh, by the way, I likes yer girlie picts. .  ;)  . .. I'm getting ideas for something new, with my hair. Getting kinda tired of it just being all one length, past my arse. I like some of the retro bangs looks a couple of the gals have. . . and those red highlights. (then again, I'm sure you guys probably aren't paying much attention to their hair .. . .LOL)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 09:11:09 pm by MoTo-BunnY »
---> instagram.com/moto_bunny# <---

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

hoppin' on down the bunny trail . . .

1973 Honda CB500K2
1970 Ding-How aka Nova R-S w/3.5HP Tecumseh MiniBike
1970 Taco Model 22 deluxe w/3.0HP Briggs & Stratton MiniBike
1973 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton Van (350CID V8)
1973 Dodge "Chinook" RV (360CID V8)
1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 (4WD - 3A engine)
1982 Toyota Pickup Truck (2WD - 22R engine)
1962? DriveX Pack-Mule (Tote-Gote clone)
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V
1991 Diamondback Mtn. Bike

rook550

« Reply #236 on: October 25, 2006, 10:13:12 am »
do you have a pic of your upper forks/triple trees where you lowered the front 2.5"? it seems to work for ya...i want to do the same thing via the fork tubes and lowering blocks on the back, but i don't know if it will work safely. thanks

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #237 on: October 25, 2006, 11:37:43 am »
ProT - I had to use a couple of those U clamp thingies when I put my crash bars on my bike. The really good hardware store down the road from me (which has some of the most obscure stuff . .I'm serious) had those clamps in stainless. I've been switching to stainless hardware on my whole engine & bike so I went that way with the clamps, too - they look tuff, 4 sure.

Just an idea. . . Home Despot only has regular steel ones (at least the ones here were like that). If you can't find them, I would be glad to pick one up for you .  . . they were like $6-8 apiece or something.  :)

oh, by the way, I likes yer girlie picts. .  ;)  . .. I'm getting ideas for something new, with my hair. Getting kinda tired of it just being all one length, past my arse. I like some of the retro bangs looks a couple of the gals have. . . and those red highlights. (then again, I'm sure you guys probably aren't paying much attention to their hair .. . .LOL)
i feel the need to respon here,but im not sure what to say. ???
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline firecracker

• At being Shameless, I'm an
  • Expert
« Reply #238 on: October 25, 2006, 12:40:38 pm »

Allow me to help:

MoTo-BunnY - Never underestimate the appeal of long hair, but I'm sure you'd look lovely with those retro bangs.  After having your hair cut, why don't you post some before and after photos, so we can help you assess the improvements?   :-*

Oh, and of course we noticed their hair.  After all, we ARE gentlemen here.

(so, uh... you think she bought it?)   ;D

Life is like a game of cards.  The hand you are dealt represents determinism.  The way you play it is free will.
  -  Jawaharal Nehru

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
« Reply #239 on: October 25, 2006, 02:06:24 pm »

Allow me to help:

MoTo-BunnY - Never underestimate the appeal of long hair, but I'm sure you'd look lovely with those retro bangs.  After having your hair cut, why don't you post some before and after photos, so we can help you assess the improvements?   :-*

Oh, and of course we noticed their hair.  After all, we ARE gentlemen here.

(so, uh... you think she bought it?)   ;D

lol. .. .yes and no     I have actually been approached by guys in public rather mesmerized by my hair or something, so yeah hair fanciers (if not fetish) do exist. .. .  however, I kinda know boys and what they likes to check out. . . .all I have to do is wear a short skirt and its amazing the difference in how guys react  . .. . (I'm not very 'busty' so that's what I can work well - joys o' femme power. ..  . :-* )

here's a very recent picture that turned out kinda neat - one of the few ID picts I have that didn't turn out to look like a mug shot.  . LOL. . . .  its 'cause I was so stoked to pass the cycle test with flying colors  ;D

(name, addy, and birthdate censored to protect the innocent. . LOL  (yesh, I fibbed with me birthdate on here   ;)

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

1973 Honda CB500K2
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #240 on: October 25, 2006, 02:21:03 pm »
;D ;D
  DOB covered....just like a woman ;)

Offline firecracker

• At being Shameless, I'm an
  • Expert
« Reply #241 on: October 25, 2006, 02:38:35 pm »
;D ;D
 DOB covered....just like a woman ;)

;D :D ;D :D

Okay, that's the before picture.  Now let's see the after.

Preferably on your bike...

...and in that mini-skirt you mentioned.

8)
Life is like a game of cards.  The hand you are dealt represents determinism.  The way you play it is free will.
  -  Jawaharal Nehru

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• Expert
« Reply #242 on: October 25, 2006, 02:54:03 pm »
LOL..  .. I will see what I can do on the next halfway nice day.  (I'm a skinny thang and just freeze on cold days if I'm showing much skin)   ;D

1973 Honda CB500K2
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #243 on: October 25, 2006, 02:59:54 pm »
* CALLED IN SICK TO WORK ON MY BIKE PROJECT UPDATE 10-25-2006 *
Here are some pics of the blacked out wheels on my scoot ---->

And another --->

I still need to do some touch-ups in a few places, and sand down the spokes.
For doing this ON the bike, I think it came out pretty killer. ;D
Got alittle crazy and painted the lower legs as well - which made them FLOW with the rest of the bike much better than before...

Even the 16'' looks better in black -->

I painted the rear drum cover thinge as well , but kept the wheel hub bare (for contrast)..
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 03:15:44 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• Expert
« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2006, 03:02:38 pm »
ProT - did u see my post above, about the stainless U clamp thingy?  Just wonderin' - it would look good on yer dampner install.

I wuvs the stainless. . . . have all SS allen head bolts on my engine now, and anywhere else I can fit 'em (the handlebar clamp looks way cool with them in place)   :D

1973 Honda CB500K2
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #246 on: October 25, 2006, 03:09:54 pm »
ProT - did u see my post above, about the stainless U clamp thingy? Just wonderin' - it would look good on yer dampner install.
Ya I did read it, and I am happy with my clamp/setup at the moment.
The one I have going looks over-built and kinda industrial , which is kinda the look I am going after...
Although , I wouldn't mind seeing you in that mini skirt that was talked about (I say that with the up-most respect of course).. ;D

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS LAST UPDATED 10/25/06-> BLACK WHEEL PICS !
« Reply #247 on: October 25, 2006, 03:14:26 pm »
do you have a pic of your upper forks/triple trees where you lowered the front 2.5"?
See below -->

That is the best/only pic of my front-end that I have at tha momment.
If you look closely - you can see how much the fork tubes are comming out the top of the triple-tree.
Also keep in mind that my clip-on's are mounted ABOVE the top triple-tree, where most if not all people put them below.
I would say I have atleast 2 1/2 , maybe 3'' going thru the top of the tree, and have had no issues in the past year of hard riding becasue of it..
lowering blocks on the back
Do yourself a favour and forget the lowering block idea, and get yourself a set of $75 "Short-Shocks" from
They are in their "chopper" catalogue. They work/look much better than those crap ass lowering blocks, and keep the shocks
at the correct angle (which lowering blocks do not)..

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #248 on: October 25, 2006, 03:25:52 pm »
PT-The wheels look perfect. let us know if you have any probs with the paint stayin on. I am planning on dissassembly and powdercoat for that very reason.

Offline Nate

• Enthusiast
    • Alternative Cruisers BB
« Reply #249 on: October 25, 2006, 03:30:07 pm »
Looks great very industrial mad max ish