Author Topic: Dyna beads evaluation  (Read 19229 times)

Offline CoachDoc

• Hot Shot
  • 1974 CB550, 2005 GL1800, 1997 Valkyrie Standard
Dyna beads evaluation
« on: November 26, 2011, 12:00:00 am »
I've run Dyna beads for wheel balancing with exellent results on my GL's for a number of years. This year I installed them in brand new tires and tubes on my 550, my first experience with using them in a tube type tire. I'm now approaching 1000 miles with this setup. Results have been exellent. The front end especially seems more stable and steady at speed. I'm running stock size on the front and a slightly oversized 4.00 on the rear. Tires are Dunlop Vintage K70's.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: Dyna beads evaluation
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 12:20:08 am »
are they stringed together and came from a sex shop?

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 12:38:44 am »
Que? Please, what is Dyna bead? I'm from Barcelona. Is it edible?
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 12:51:53 am »
used ones taste like fish delta!or chicken?

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 01:12:10 am »
Placebo effect..... ::)    Sorry coach but go to their site, download the pdf and read it entirely. They are not recommended for what they call "extreme" cornering {define} or high speed, so there's no way in hell i would even consider them at all, and neither would any Auto manufacturer..... smoke and mirrors....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline BAchvytrk

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 05:51:58 am »
Placebo effect..... ::)    Sorry coach but go to their site, download the pdf and read it entirely. They are not recommended for what they call "extreme" cornering {define} or high speed, so there's no way in hell i would even consider them at all, and neither would any Auto manufacturer..... smoke and mirrors....

+1
71 FLH
74 Ironhead
1965 305
1971 SL350
1974 750k
1975 550F
1977 550K
1980 KZ440
1980 CB900F

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 09:11:18 am »
Que? Please, what is Dyna bead? I'm from Barcelona. Is it edible?

Little ball bearing looking things you put into your tire for balancing.
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline CoachDoc

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 12:26:42 pm »

I believe the statements you're alluding to have to do with racing (I have seen their site). Having used them, I can tell you that they do indeed seem to perform as advertised, and I didn't even try them until I had read similar testimonials from many other users on sites like this one. Maybe if you tried them you'd be able to more constructively critique the product.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 12:31:10 pm »
what's the big deal with just having your tires properly installed and balanced at a shop that has the proper tools and experience...there are several small shops in my area that do a great job for $10-25 a wheel...
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 01:14:21 pm »
There have been many threads here, but not in a while, about the beads. Always very heated, rivalling an oil thread.

As much as they appeal to me, I have to fall into the placebo effect camp.

Does anyone have actual hard, THIRD PARTY, evidence either way, or all anecdotal?. I don't mind having useless bling on my bike, but I like it to be visible.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:18:07 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 01:20:18 pm »
what's the big deal with just having your tires properly installed and balanced at a shop that has the proper tools and experience...there are several small shops in my area that do a great job for $10-25 a wheel...
Really. i used to balance tires for my friends TZs, back in the days. On a truing/balancing stands. A few minutes, a few tape weights and it was off to the races.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 03:41:41 pm »

I believe the statements you're alluding to have to do with racing (I have seen their site). Having used them, I can tell you that they do indeed seem to perform as advertised, and I didn't even try them until I had read similar testimonials from many other users on sites like this one. Maybe if you tried them you'd be able to more constructively critique the product.

As i said, if they were any good every car maker on the planet would be using them and anything thats not recommended for high speed or cornering i would never consider using.

From their PDF
We strongly advise against using Dyna Beads in any vehicle used for racing, for any application involving cornering at high speeds, or in tires placed under high acceleration beyond normal highway use.

"for ANY application involving cornering at high speeds"   That says it all for me. I will NEVER put anything near my wheels that can't guarantee 100% of the original performance. Anyway, this topic has already been flogged to death a number of times and i think all those threads were locked..... ;D ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 04:40:37 pm »
Coachdoc... Thank you for the report.  I've always been curious/dubious about them.  As many here won't admit, you're about the only one here that has any sort of seat-of-the-pants testing.  The physics make sense, I'd still probably use them in conjunction with a typical balance.  They seem to be a good idea for if weights are tossed off, i know I've done that a few times.
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 07:23:31 pm »
I looked at Dyna beads but decided against it as there were reports it clogged up/affected the valve stem so be careful of that. I am now running Ride On Tire sealant in a new front tire (Dunlop K70) that I installed on a CB750K4. Purpose was to test installing and balancing a tire myself if I was say 1000s of miles from home in a foreign country and had to to change a tire with no help. Result - tire is balanced after running the Ride On product (independent test of the tire balance). So far is stable up to 85 mph for 1+ hr (tested this today ;)).

Will the Ride On tire sealant help protect me from punctures? No probably not - website claims a 50% success rate with tubed tires. This is essentially no better than chance. Will it help balance a tire on a 40 year old wheel - seems to and so far my road tests have not produced any high speed wobbles up to 85 mph.

Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 09:29:24 pm »
Apparently tire manufacturers void all warranty if dyna beads are used....

From Bridgstone..

Tire Balance
Bridgestone does not recommend the use of liquid or dry balancers or sealants. Bridgestone will not warranty any tire which has been injected with these materials.

After doing some more reading, Dunlop and probably more, void warranty if these things are used..MCN also did a review of them and were not impressed and recommended not using them....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline City Boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 01:58:39 pm »
Well gang,I am torn on what to conclude.I find this discussion very interesting as the shop I am working with is using da beads.Over a two year period ,I have not had any feedback good or bad from the customers re this issue.So on the one hand we have some positive testimonials from individuals and publications; notwithstanding any kind of the  less than factual claim can be spouted on the internet.We have the supplier advising against its use in racing and the law be damned street riding.I am not surprised that the tire manu's would pooh poo with today's liability environmment .So far I am leaning towards Joe everyday rider of touring and cruiser types will be fine and sporty folk may want to think twice for so far unexplained reasons.
 Tire balance machines are not cheap and hand balancing is tedious and a bit of an art to do quickly in a shop setting although is fine by DIYselfers.For now I am not convinced that the use of this item under the proper conditions should be dismissed out of hand.  Go Leafs and Rock On
'52 Kiekhaefer Mercury Rocket Hurricane KG4H
'70 750/RC 1000 Original Owner
'83 1100F

Offline CoachDoc

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 05:35:37 pm »
Sorry, I was not around this board for the previous Dyna Bead threads, but I do recall similar threads on the GL boards in the past. I bring up the GL's because that is the context in which I first heard about the beads. Those bikes are behemoths- mine is 881 lbs. - and the effects on handling and tire wear are considerable. The biggest tire related problem is cupping of the front wheels, which is often severe and can/will lead to premature replacement. Most of us have gone to the fork brace and progressive springs, but they help this situation only marginally. After replacing a Dunlop Elite III after only 9000 miles, I heard about the beads and decided to give them a try. The results were immediate and very significant: shuddering in moderate speed turns reduced tremendously,and much less tendency for wobble at any speed. After averaging probably 11,000 miles per front tire, my last set (same Dunlops) went for 18K, with cupping very mild and only discernible for the last 2500 miles or so. This was the first time I replaced a front tire because of tread wear, and not severe cupping. Talk to GL guys and you'll hear the same story over and over again. Here is a link to reviews of the Dyna Beads from Wingstuff.com, part of CycleGiant.com. 52 reviewers, and some of the most consistently high user ratings you'll see anywhere. I've seen the same on the GL boards, with the negatives coming from non-users telling you why the product is no good. Here's the link.

http://motorcycletirestore.com/pgroup_detail/28_/27738_dyna_beads_motorcycle_tire_ceramic_balancing_beads/

I've also been to the Harley boards to see their take, and again the user comments are overwhelmingly positive, citing much the same effects on handling and tire wear expressed by the GL reviewers. A link to the Harley Forum:

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/400547-dyna-beads-wow.html

With all that success using the beads on my GL1500, when I restored my '74 550 this year I had my new tires mounted and balanced by a dealer in the conventional manner just because I erroneously thought that the beads couldn't be used in a tube tire. After about 500 miles, I didn't like the way the front end felt at high speed, and I happenend to see an online post stating that you can indeed run the beads in a tube type tire. I had some beads left over in my garage and I decided to give them a shot in the 550- 1 oz. in the front and 2 oz. in the rear tire. I now have almost 700 miles since that installation and I am once again very pleased. Yesterday I took a 130 mile ride in the mountains east of San Diego, with lots of 2 lane twisties. The bike felt solid and very smoothe all the way. Had it up to 100mph on the freeway coming home, and it did not feel at all like a 37 year old bike. Most telling for me is this tidbit. I've owned this bike for 37 years, and NEVER have I been able to take my hands off the bars at speed. That's through many different  front tires, installed and balanced by a variety of mechanics. Now, as you may have surmised, I can take my hands off the bars, which totally amazed me. Truly impressive, IMHO, and must be related to better balancing of the front wheel, because nothing else has changed.

Now will come the inevitable fusillade from the naysayers, none of whom have ever used the product. Gentlemen, take your best shot, but I'll believe the seat of my pants in real life experience over anything you can muster in theoretical negativity.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:39:52 pm by CoachDoc »

Offline Rigid

• She likes a
  • Expert
  • Speak from personal experience, or don't
    • KingCustomCycles
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 05:44:35 pm »
I will endorse them with theoretical positivity :-)  never used them but have no bias against trying.  We used to use dynamic dampening flywheels on our two stroke ultralight aircraft that worked in the same fashion.  Where is a good place to buy some?  Will they actually correct an out of balance or out of round tire shake? 
36 years of this stuff, here to help.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 05:50:23 pm »
I looked at Dyna beads but decided against it as there were reports it clogged up/affected the valve stem so be careful of that. I am now running Ride On Tire sealant in a new front tire (Dunlop K70) that I installed on a CB750K4. Purpose was to test installing and balancing a tire myself if I was say 1000s of miles from home in a foreign country and had to to change a tire with no help. Result - tire is balanced after running the Ride On product (independent test of the tire balance). So far is stable up to 85 mph for 1+ hr (tested this today ;)).

Will the Ride On tire sealant help protect me from punctures? No probably not - website claims a 50% success rate with tubed tires. This is essentially no better than chance. Will it help balance a tire on a 40 year old wheel - seems to and so far my road tests have not produced any high speed wobbles up to 85 mph.

Andy
I may get that stuff Andy. Looks interesting and having had a flat a couple of years ago. 50/50 is better than nothing. 
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 05:59:24 pm »
I bet that sealer would work best in a natural rubber tube. As I undertand it the cheaper tubes have a certain amount of plastic in them which when punctured tends to tear. The natural rubber tubes leak more slowly and predictably when punctured. Not my research, just what I read.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 06:02:30 pm »
Now will come the inevitable fusillade from the naysayers, none of whom have ever used the product. Gentlemen, take your best shot, but I'll believe the seat of my pants in real life experience over anything you can muster in theoretical negativity.

Don't you think thats a bit harsh.?  I see nothing negative at all, actually, simply because these things are not recommended for high speed riding and hard cornering {very vague, what speed.? define hard cornering.?} i am never going to use them because i do not want to be finding those limits half way round a corner....If they were the magic fix all the car and bike manufacturers would be all over them, thats definitely not the case.....  I'll side with the tyre manufacturers, seeing's though they have the technology to prove either way and would use them if they were that good.....  Remember that we have a very diverse range of riders here, and all have differing styles, what suits yours doesn't necessarily suit anyone else....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline CoachDoc

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 06:06:08 pm »
I will endorse them with theoretical positivity :-)  never used them but have no bias against trying.  We used to use dynamic dampening flywheels on our two stroke ultralight aircraft that worked in the same fashion.  Where is a good place to buy some?  Will they actually correct an out of balance or out of round tire shake?
Rigid, I have seen several places that they will not correct a wheel that is out of round. I bought them from the manufacturer:
www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

Read through the site so you know how to install them, how much to use, etc. An engraving tool held against the valve stem while you feed the beads into the tube will help keep them flowing.

Offline CoachDoc

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 06:10:07 pm »

Don't you think thats a bit harsh.?  I see nothing negative at all, actually, simply because these things are not recommended for high speed riding and hard cornering {very vague, what speed.? define hard cornering.?} i am never going to use them because i do not want to be finding those limits half way round a corner....If they were the magic fix all the car and bike manufacturers would be all over them, thats definitely not the case.....  I'll side with the tyre manufacturers, seeing's though they have the technology to prove either way and would use them if they were that good.....  Remember that we have a very diverse range of riders here, and all have differing styles, what suits yours doesn't necessarily suit anyone else....

Harsh?? No, definitely not, and Retro you are hereby designated as naysayer-in-chief.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 07:49:16 pm »
Wow - this thread has really opened a can of.....beads!

Coach - did you have an issue that the beads corrected or you just installed them with a new tire?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 07:57:40 pm »
Harsh?? No, definitely not, and Retro you are hereby designated as naysayer-in-chief.

When you guys can't get things your own way, you just love labeling people, so there goes the discussion and out comes the dirt..... ::)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:14:33 pm by Retro Rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc