Author Topic: Nicklopic's CB650 cafe thing (Top end build with modern suspension)  (Read 18075 times)

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
I figured I would make a little build thread of my progress on my first bike and first build.
About the bike, it is a 1980 CB650c. I purchased it from a friend of mine none running about a year ago now. Needed the starter clutch rebuilt and the carbs cleaned... Or so I thought lol. The starter clutch was mangled and found an NOS one to replace it. Then spent way too long trying to get it running right, cleaning carbs, checking this, checking that, checking timing, compression, ignition modules etc. Etc. Turned out it was a combination of many issues with the GM HEI the bike was converted to. Narrowed it down to the modules not having the right processor to control dwell and killing coils... Probably.
Replaced the complete ignition set up with a CT lightspeed setup and it was running beautifully. But leaked oil like no buddy's business, which promoted my "build"
Here's how it sat before I started.

Current mods:
TL1000 forks
CB450? Tank
Yahmaha cafe style seat
Mac 4-1 exhaust
C5 ignition
Obligatory cafe racer pods
Some LEDs, some clip on, some little #$%*.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:20:19 pm by Nicklopic »
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline Racegun

Re: A "custom" CB650 custom
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 02:52:30 pm »
Cool bike.

What are your plans?

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 03:05:58 pm »
On to my plans:
I have a TL1000s swing arm going on to match the forks and of course a monoshock. The dreaded "custom" seat frame dip and the yahmaha seat are going bye bye. That'll get chopped off and replaced with a tuffside seat and hoop to clean up the lines back there. The motor had to come apart to reseal it, so I'm putting new rings in and the head is currently at JMR for inspection and stage 2 porting and a valve job. Never really liked the canister muffle on my exhaust so I opted for a complete kit from ripple rock racers from our neighbors up north in Canada. The harness on this thing is a mess. It'll all get replaced with an M-unit and a harness from revival cycles and a little lithium battery underneath the seat. And of course some cognito Moto rear sets to finish that racer look.
I'm currently at a complete standstill waiting for parts to ship out so I thought I might as well start this.

So far the motor is broken down and the heads sent off. I have the swing arm test fit so far to get an idea of where the frame side mount will be for the monoshock. (At one point the swing arm swap was started but never really finished and there was a few half assed brackets made so I'll be redoing them)
The frame clean up was started. I chopped the passenger peg mounts off, center stand bracket, and the factory battery box.
Fair warning, There will probably be plenty of saved Snapchat and Instagram posts posted to show progress. Sue me, I'm a millennial so I have to live up to the stereotypes.
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 03:07:26 pm »
Artsy black and white picture of the hindle muffler from the ripple rock exhaust because why not.
Edit: And picture of the TLS swing arm mounted because I forgot.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:29:18 pm by Nicklopic »
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 03:51:48 pm »
The Hindle is probably the nicest quality, mass-produced aftermarket header available. 

While you have the top end apart, you might want to look into a mild port job (as well as lapping the valves).
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 04:08:45 pm »
The Hindle is probably the nicest quality, mass-produced aftermarket header available. 

While you have the top end apart, you might want to look into a mild port job (as well as lapping the valves).
I love the way the header and the whole exhaust looks. I can't wait get it on. And way ahead of you on the head work lol It's already at JMR and I'm just waiting to hear back about his inspection of it
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 07:39:20 pm »
Is that swingarm a few inches longer than stock ?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 09:23:54 pm »
Is that swingarm a few inches longer than stock ?
Yes but not too much longer. I forget the exact measurements but I think it's only 1.5 to 2" longer
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 02:24:02 pm »
Yesterday some frame slugs and a front frame brace showed up from dime city. From what they say it's ripple rocks that they sell. Anyway they state it will fit sohc 650s and it was shiny so I figured I'd toss it on and some extra rigidity couldn't hurt.
Well it doesn't fit lol
The right side motor mount bolts are spaced closer together than the left by about at least 5mm. It's not that the frame is tweaked or anything so it doesn't line up, the spacing is off sadly. I guess when people are swapping 650s into 550s they're using the 550 motor mounts. Hence why this doesn't fit.
The good news is my seat, seat hoop, and DOM tubing should be here this week so by next weekend I should be able to make some real headway.
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 05:54:52 pm »
Following*
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 07:10:05 pm »
WE HAVE PARTS!
The seat from tuffside and the matching seat hoop showed up today and I got to work of course. Seat looks great if you ask me. I'm going to trimmed the front of the pan to follow the tank better and it should be perfect.
The stupid "custom" frame dip is gone thanks to a lil sawsall action. I also started on the seat hoop getting the slight up sweep to match the seat and tapering at the front to fit under the seat and line up with the remainder of the frame. It should fit together nicely but I called it a night. I gotta remember to take actual pictures instead of posting crap directly to my stories instead.
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline Nola504life

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 01:32:04 pm »
Nice wheels! Was the seat like a plug and play or was there a mod that needed to happen, also you have a name or away for me to find it? I have the same bike and been looking for a seat that will bolt up with out any moding to fit it. Thanks

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 04:20:36 pm »
Nice wheels! Was the seat like a plug and play or was there a mod that needed to happen, also you have a name or away for me to find it? I have the same bike and been looking for a seat that will bolt up with out any moding to fit it. Thanks
The seat is not at all direct fit. I cut the back of the frame off and will be welding in a new hoop and braces to make it work. Hence the "weight reduction" picture lol
The seat and is from tuffside. Based in Vegas I believe. The only option you have for a real plug and play seat is texavina
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 05:55:59 pm »
Made some solid progress today.
Got some tabs in from a company called tabzone. They were the only place I could find some tabs that would actually suit my needs. They have #$%*LOADS of options and it's great.

Anyway, I have the monoshock mount all tacked up. The crossbar is a piece of 1" .120 wall DOM. Notched with a harbor freight tubing notcher, #$%*ty tool but got the job done. And it came out solid for my first time using one. I also plan to gusset it and the mounting tabs. Swingarm angle is pretty much perfect. 12-13° unloaded, and 0-1° on the bumpstop.
I opted to offset the shock so the res. fit between the frame rails without issue and I can reuse on of the factory mounts instead of have 2 welded on. Should make life easier and safer. (TL1000's used a separate shock and coil set up instead of a coilovers hence the 4 tabs show)
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 05:57:27 pm »
Wouldn't let me post with all 3 pictures together for some reason.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 06:00:03 pm by Nicklopic »
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 03:05:14 pm »
Hows the bike going man?
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 07:35:24 pm »
Hows the bike going man?
I think things are moving right along pretty well
Discovered my old welding helmet died on me tacking the monoshock mount in so I had to wait for a new hood.
Got that yesterday and today I banged out the seat hoop and the brace from the lower side of the stock frame. Fits together pretty decently. They're not welded in yet but they're cut to size and in there.
Tomorrow I'll hopefully get some more welding done and maybe start on the electronics tray.
Will probably have the head back from JMR in another week or 2 maybe. Still waiting the rear sets to ship
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 03:24:24 am »
Looking great man!
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 05:51:57 pm »
Got some more stuff done.
Rear frame is all welded. I also started on the under tray/electronics tray. The tail under the hump got a simple plate underneath which was a massive pain because I hate welding sheet metal. That took hours for me to actually complete.
I also got the seat mounts made. It'll be healed down with studs and some wingnuts. Simple and easy to undo so I can pull the seat off by hand if need be. I'll be mounting the regulator rectifier to the bottom side of the seat mount open to air to keep it cool. Behind it will get an actual tray to house the M-unit. Underneath the hump in the tail will get the starter solenoid and battery. Doing so means I don't have to make the tray for the m unit too deep so almost none of it can be seen from the side
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 06:47:46 pm »
Going with a anti gravity battery?
Wing nuts are nice. I can't remember what they are called but the king of fastener they use on bicycle seats would be nice in that application as well.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2019, 07:19:29 pm »
Ended up getting a shoria, still LiPo though. the antigravity battery I wanted was out of stock so I got a similarly sized and spec shoria for a bit less $ which was cool.
I would like to look into different hardware because I personally don't like wingnuts. Always end up being a pain to get off unless everything is super clean, but they'll do for now. If you remember the name of those nuts for bike seatlet me know because I'll happily change it up lol
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 03:32:41 am »
If nothing else maybe there is a bicycle shop within a decent range to you. the only thing I've been able to find on what they are called is quick released seat post clamps. Wide range in price although a couple cheap ones should do you just fine.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 03:54:42 am »
Might have better luck modifying a quick release axle rod for a bicycle.  Could probably modify it pretty easy if you shorten the rod and mount the threaded cap under the seatfoam.  Should be pretty easy to shorten...just cut to length and re-tap the threaded end.

Pretty slick idea actually  8)

https://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-Quick-Release-Black-100mm-Front?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjwq-TmBRBdEiwAaO1en3Sef9L4xDWy5ylDaF1cW5PR3wJn-JFCZBLvKybdY-gL-SiRxn-CFRoCT3UQAvD_BwE

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:57:07 am by CBJoe »
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 08:56:04 pm »
Got some more work done on the electronics tray. Took 2 tries to make because I'm an idiot and forgot how to measure and do math lol
I used a harbor freight bending break, first time ever using one and I think I did alright. It's 1.75" deep which should give me room to mount the starter solenoid there to make packaging easier. You can see it a bit from the side which kind of bums me out as I was trying to avoid it but hey that's life lol
I'll clean it up later. Have to trim some a little to make it drop in nicely.
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 09:02:22 pm »
So yesterday I made a little mounting bracket for the starter solenoid, and made some loops for a battery hold down.
Tonight I burned the tray in. Fits pretty good I think. I also burned in the solenoid mount and the battery mounts. Pretty much they're just loops to use a strap across each side to lock it down that way nothing is sticking out the bottom of the tail.
I need to get some different straps as the original stechy Velcro ones I got are too long. No big deal.
I also have a rear brake parts and a new koso speedo/tach on there way to start on new.
My original goal was to have it rideable by the end of the month, hence the work on it every single night thing lol Starting to have my doubts on that. Plus I'm not trying to rush things.
80' CB650
Build Thread