Author Topic: The Happy-ish Thread. Share your small wins and mixed blessings.  (Read 55875 times)

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
We've had the pissed off thread for a long time and just like the abomination thread, some items just don't fit the category, let's hear about some wins large and small where stuff just went your way or simply worked the way you'd have hoped it would despite overwhelming odds against you.

I'm enjoying an easy time with my springtime allergies for the 3rd year in a row. Win.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
Re: The Happy-ish Thread. Share your small wins and mixed blessings.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 07:42:25 am »
My best friend and riding buddy survived a giant burst ulcer the doctors missed as well as three strokes and sepsis. Hopefully he'll be riding again next season. I call that a win. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 08:18:50 am »
That's a great win for your friend!

I apparently earned just a 2% pay raise this year, but after taxes it's 3-1/2%.....

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 11:59:15 am »
Alan, that's an unusual raise...too bad it won't scratch the surface of inflation...just the underbelly. But 2% is better than 0%>
Freezing temps are largely over in southern AZ and tomorrow morning the temp when I would leave for a ride is forecasted to be 60f... That means I won't need to worry with insulated long johns for the nearly hour MC Rider at 5am...just textile riding pants. The mesh jacket can survive with an insulated shirt and T shirt with the Tshirt being moisture management style...
So, earlier MC rides will be far easier...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 03:50:31 pm »
Today I was looking for a +20 gallon fuel cell for the LEXUS we Endurance race (check out racelucky.ca if interested). Our next double header weekend is 16 days away, so not likely to find one. We are allowed to run two hour driver stints max, but the factory tank only gets us +77 minutes at Mosport.

Called Bicknell Motorsport (a fairly large outfit that supplies mostly oval track racers in Canada), wondering if they have any on hand inventory. Most cells are built to order, so usually 4-8 weeks.
“Gord” listened to my sad tale and agreed to “see what he could do and call me back”.....

Less than 30 minutes later, he was back to me! Found a Fuel Safe cell (complete with container) at a mid-western US Supplier they deal with regularly. He can have it here for Wednesday. Outstanding service and follow up. They’ll be getting more of our cash this season.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 06:25:37 pm »
 It's always good to get some service from a supplier. It makes you less sensitive to the price knowing someone is willing to help out.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 08:00:07 pm »
I just learned that the next door neighbor in this 2nd floor apt building with it's thin walls and her very noisy boyfriend(pounding army boots up and down the stairs & thin walkway outside my door)who does this at all hours:I hope they are Moving OUT !!  whew  :o  ;D ;D  I'm really hoping the new neighbor will be Nice.

I may have spoke too soon..  :( ::) as the same neighbors have spent the night in #12.. Their footsteps have gotten a bit quieter,after I reported the noise to the property manager yesterday.
I really do hope they will be moving out though !  Lotsa water under that bridge.. who needs it.

Edit:I have made a decision to look around,seriously and find the best location I can afford on SS and get out of this situation;too many difficult circumstances and no one seems to care here.I just need to find a place that's right for me,where I can find authentic individuals who are trustworthy to make friends with.
I've moved before and have had high hopes for a good change;I just need to renew my hopes.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 09:13:19 pm by grcamna2 »
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 10:35:12 pm »
This is a good thread idea Alan.
I too have a bit easier this year on the allergy front though still it's there but the oil of Oregano daily under the tongue does help.
A couple weeks ago I got a call from a friend that had some 750 rolling carcasses and parts wanting to clear some inventory that he'd had in a tent garage at his folks house as the winds had taken out the tent this winter. So I agreed to buy 6 frames w/4 motors(one is an 836) and some more parts.
Well now, "where am I going to put these?" as my 10x11 storage was bursting already. Well my other friends where my storage is agreed to let me take over the other 26' in front of the storage room but I'd have to buy materials for the wall and build it, though he had a couple of 9x7 garage door panel sets that he said I could use for the wall, so now I have 11x36 total space for these projects. Been a busy couple weeks along with day time job.....
On top of that, I finally bought a couple of sets of NOS fresh off the shelf Morris Mags w/ disc brake setups and rearsets for Seeley frames to fit up on one of these frames(going to sell one set).
Next project will be to build a work stand to roll the projects on to for my achy back..... Then do some maintenance on my K5 and open the 836 to do an inspection of it and get on to the builds.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 10:48:27 am »
I have a number of missing teeth which requires me to over-use the few that i have.
I just learned yesterday that the one tooth that's bothering me will require a crown$  :o which I don't have the $ for at this point.I got in touch with the director of a local group here in Davis who helps the community,in limited ways.
I presented my problem to them today and I'm now waiting for a decision;hoping for the best.

The Western Dental company who's doing the work for me now also has another option:I can apply for a special 'credit card' for this transaction which if approved,allows me to slowly pay it off over the course of 12 months,with no finance charges.I like options.  :D

I think we all need a lottery we can play that has a grand prize of a mouthful of fresh implants   ;) :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 10:50:25 pm by grcamna2 »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 01:42:50 pm »
It's always good to get some service from a supplier. It makes you less sensitive to the price knowing someone is willing to help out.

Don….. so true! Today I placed the order and added a few more bits we needed. Ron offered us 10% off  and wished me a pleasant weekend. I’ll be damned!

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 10:43:44 pm »
Getting invited to show off the Norton at 1motopdx may be more than a small win.
Been enjoying the show and appreciating the company of the other Bonneville peeps that are also here.
One of my best friends and I even had the opportunity to record a podcast interview with an amazing woman/builder/shop-owner.
Certainly made the weekend memorable.
There are some outstanding works on display here.  From relic'd antiques to visionary futurism and every flavor in between.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 10:53:16 pm »
Getting invited to show off the Norton at 1motopdx may be more than a small win.
Been enjoying the show and appreciating the company of the other Bonneville peeps that are also here.
One of my best friends and I even had the opportunity to record a podcast interview with an amazing woman/builder/shop-owner.
There are some outstanding works on display here.  From relic'd antiques to visionary futurism and every flavor in between.

That Norton next to the van,looks great !  8)

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2022, 11:17:37 pm »

Thanks, i built that

ken65

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 02:03:41 am »
Well done. Looks great.

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 02:39:09 am »

Thanks, i built that

Very cool.
I have an old friend from the 70s that he and his brothers had the Norton dealership and were race bike builders as they were the North American importers of Seeley frames at their shop. They still have a few Nortons in their collection and I got to take his NOS(2.7 miles) 74 Commando out for a spin last week in preparation to take it to the local bike night. It was a hoot to ride though still a few bugs to work out on it.
He has a couple of Interstates too but haven't been on the road in a few years, one he has a picture on the wall of he and his wife at an younger age when they rode all over New England on it. He'll be selling the Commando shortly.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2022, 05:56:34 am »

Very nice! Is the red tank a P11? One of my all time favourites.....

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022, 05:40:28 pm »
 I got rid of the crappy EPA carb on my 1965 Valiant  and figured out the STUPID stuff thd P.O. did to the linkage.
 Only took 6 or 8 hours over two days but, Holy crap, it's a whole different car?

Went from bummed and stressed out to happy. Sometimes,  you need a small victory.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2022, 05:59:01 pm »
I got rid of the crappy EPA carb on my 1965 Valiant  and figured out the STUPID stuff thd P.O. did to the linkage.
 Only took 6 or 8 hours over two days but, Holy crap, it's a whole different car?

Went from bummed and stressed out to happy. Sometimes,  you need a small victory.

That's excellent Scott  :)
Did you install the stock OEM carb. ?

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2022, 07:51:18 pm »
Little girl (5 years old) and her mom are moving back in across the street after a rough time and a addict BF getting arrested.
My daughter (3) just loves her to death and I really always hoping to get to get this kid some nicer school clothes too.
Planning to use the excuse madmad (my daughter) just wanted to match Princess Autumn so much.
Her mom worked on the house for about 4 hours today and PA + several neighborhood kids all played at my house.
A small win for the day and hopefully a larger win for that little girl.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2022, 08:06:52 pm »
Little girl (5 years old) and her mom are moving back in across the street after a rough time and a addict BF getting arrested.
My daughter (3) just loves her to death and I really always hoping to get to get this kid some nicer school clothes too.
Planning to use the excuse madmad (my daughter) just wanted to match Princess Autumn so much.
Her mom worked on the house for about 4 hours today and PA + several neighborhood kids all played at my house.
A small win for the day and hopefully a larger win for that little girl.

Nice job Gurp!
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 08:16:17 pm »
+1 Gurp, good on ya.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2022, 10:49:40 pm »
  I mentioned in the PO'ed thread, I guess I was in a mood.  But my car club made two one thousand dollar scholarships to the local area vocational school in our school district.  I knew one kid's grandfather from school and his great grandfather from the gas station on the corner where they live now. My wife worked with his Dad and Mom. Small world. The other kid wants to go into cnc welder programming but already inherited his grandfathers electrical business. I suspect he may end up there.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2022, 11:18:13 pm »
  I mentioned in the PO'ed thread, I guess I was in a mood.  But my car club made two one thousand dollar scholarships to the local area vocational school in our school district.  I knew one kid's grandfather from school and his great grandfather from the gas station on the corner where they live now. My wife worked with his Dad and Mom. Small world. The other kid wants to go into cnc welder programming but already inherited his grandfathers electrical business. I suspect he may end up there.

That's excellent that your car club does that Don.

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2022, 11:01:06 am »
My ex wife is divorcing the guy she cheated on me with, I'm having a great day!

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2022, 12:38:55 pm »
liverpool have just won the FA cup !