Author Topic: What "Biker Look" are you?  (Read 55149 times)

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
Re: What "Biker Look" are you?
« Reply #250 on: November 14, 2010, 08:44:47 pm »
Sometimes I wear a helmet and other times I don't. If it is chilly outside, I will wear a jacket. Sometimes I wear shorts and other times I wear jeans. Maybe I leave wearing a helmet and then I take it off and go without. Sometimes I wear boots and other times I wear sneakers. There have been times I run to the store and just were flip flops or if I am running to my parents place, I go bare footed.

No real rules for me.

Though, when I wear a helmet, it is a full faced one and never a skull cap. ;D

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
    • Dimale Painting & Restoration
« Reply #251 on: November 14, 2010, 09:33:05 pm »
Midtnjasonf-

Thanks for the honest and bunt remarks. I have not purchased a helmet yet because the bike I am working on will be my first motorcycle and I haven't quite reached the riding phase of the resto yet. Admittedly with my personal "style," open face+sunglasses would fit my look. After reading your post I will absolutely be buying a full face helmet. I like my lower jaw and would prefer it stay attached. Again, thanks.

kohl

Glad to hear it.

Also of note many half helmeted riders can be seen on big touring bikes with lots of wind and weather protection. Our vintage bikes, cafe bikes, and sporty standards do not have all that great wind protection. Rocks, bugs, and even rain can really sting when they hit you while riding a naked bike. I like to eat up the miles so I may ride more than some on this site but I have had bird crap on my face shield, rock chips in my helmet, more bugs splattered on my face shield than I can count, and a few very painful hits to the hands and neck. To me a full face helmet just makes riding more comfortable. I do not have to worry about getting hit with a pebble kicked up by an 18 wheeler tire.

that's very cool that your post had an effect on someone in a positive way. I think the companies that try to make inadequate helmets look 'cool' are as bad as tobacco co.'s, they sell a dangerous product that messes people up.

I use to wear 3/4 helmets all the time when I was younger. I just never thought about it, much. but at that point I engaged in lots of dangerous behavior. anyways my point is that it's not that someone is stupid for wearing one, just not thinking or doesn't care.

but that story about the missing face from the nose down could get a lot of people to think or care enough. how about a full page ad in cycle world with a pic of a guy missing his face. just gore from the nose down. kinda like the cigarette ads with the black lungs or the dying wastrel in a wheelchair.

and it does make riding more comfortable. I use to wear helmet, goggles or glasses and a bandanna/scarf when it's chilly. that's 2 more items to put on each time. my lazy impatient side likes the full face better for that reason, too.

plus it will be excellent protection when the inevitable zombie apocalypse comes.

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
« Reply #252 on: November 14, 2010, 10:16:51 pm »
Here is something that started making me wear my helmet more often. I was in Louisville, Kentucky earlier this year for a car club meet. One of the women that atended the meet has a friend with a son that needs an organ transplant. She said that he was on the Michigan waiting list and also the Ohio waiting list.

I live in Ohio. I wanted to know why Ohio?

The reason is that Ohio does not have a helmet law, so there are more organ donors because of it.

Needless to say, it was an eye opener. I still may go without one from time to time, but I wear one more often than I used to. It also depends on the weather, traffic, where I am going, how long I will be away, etc.

I know it is no excuse, but I am an adult that can make my own decisions about my safety.

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline MidTNJasonF

• Enthusiast
« Reply #253 on: November 14, 2010, 10:21:38 pm »

that's very cool that your post had an effect on someone in a positive way. I think the companies that try to make inadequate helmets look 'cool' are as bad as tobacco co.'s, they sell a dangerous product that messes people up.

plus it will be excellent protection when the inevitable zombie apocalypse comes.

Having just finished watching "The Walking Dead" on AMC that last comment is more than a little amusing.

As to the first comment about companies being as bad as tobacco companies I disagree a bit. I am actually not in favor of Helmet Laws, seat belt laws, or any other "nanny" law. I am a fan of intelligent decision making however. I believe that an individual has a right to make choices regarding their own life and actions. As far as I am concerned every person has the right not to wear a helmet if they so choose even if I think it is a very unwise choice. I would never do it and I would question not only the intelligence of someone making that choice but also question how much that person cares about the people that love them. To not wear a helmet in this day and age is a completely selfish choice. If you have a parent, child, or spouse that loves you forget about how you would feel if you had a minor accident. The better question to ask yourself is how would your Mother/Father/Spouse/Child feel is she had to visit you in the hospital after your brain surgery. How would it make you feel if you know your choice to not wear a helmet caused them a great deal of emotional pain.  

Now I draw a small line when it comes to under age kids, they should be required to wear a helmet, wear a seat belt, or be in a car seat. Let's protect them as best we can until they are at least old enough to make some intelligent decisions for themselves. Some cantankerous old fart might like to make a comment about not having seat belts when they were a kid but lets face it honestly. When there were no seat belts or airbags our cars were not tin foil missiles ripping down the interstate at 80mph 12 feet off the bumper of the car in front during the 40 mile commute. Roads are more crowded, average speeds are higher, and the average yearly miles driven have increased greatly since the "good-ol-days". Cars are designed to protect passengers in a crash based upon the use of seat belts and airbags.

Motorcycle gear and helmet technology have developed so much in the last several decades. Why not take advantage of some of those advances in technology. We may love old motorcycles but we do not have to count on 60's era technology to protect our melons while we enjoy or 60's era technology bikes. I am a bit of an outspoken safety nut because I have had the misfortune of being witness to a number of horrific scenes in my short time on this planet and most of those scenes were the result of someone taking shortcuts with safety. I have stood over bodies at accident sites and put the flames out on the nearly unconscious body of a man who did not have the extra few seconds to electrically ground the aircraft ground power unit he was refueling. I still love to cut loose and do stupid stuff that might get me hurt, like take a car or bike around a race track, but I am damn sure going to take advantage of the things that can help protect me if "F" it all up at 100+ mph.

While I am on my soap box look up Accident Scene Management. If you ride with friends you care about the training might just allow you to help them some day. Even if it is not a friend it you may find yourself being able to come to the aid of a fellow rider and stranger someday. It is one afternoon out of your life and a few cheeseburgers worth of money out of your pocket but in my opinion is a great thing to spend a little time and money on. http://www.accidentscene.org/
1972 Honda CB450
1973 Honda CB350
1996 Suzuki GSF600N
1996 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #254 on: November 14, 2010, 10:33:11 pm »
I am a fan of intelligent decision making however

Thats fine for people that have intelligence........There's plenty that don't.....
Common sense is a thing of the past and if you let everyone have their own way my friend chaos will be more common than common sense....

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Blueridgerunner

• Enthusiast
  • CB650 no longer, but do have an 87 GL1200
« Reply #255 on: November 15, 2010, 03:37:00 am »
Said James "In my opinion,  there's nothing in this world, beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl"

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #256 on: November 15, 2010, 05:09:10 am »
black leather jacket denim pants,bike boots full face in the fall and winter half helmet in the summer.  I might wear shorts in summer with a tshirt but i am not going far or fast.  I am going to buy some chaps although I think I will look rediculous at 58 and 250 lbs.

Offline Ved

« Reply #257 on: November 15, 2010, 08:53:39 pm »

And a pair of Jeans...

My wife has a pic of me in my riding gear somewhere on her computer. I'll post it later.
Your a good friend, but if the zombies ever chase us... I'm tripping you...

Offline eastside750

• How does one apply for a motorcycle gang?
« Reply #258 on: November 15, 2010, 09:59:39 pm »
I rock the all matte-black look.

Vanson Cobra II jacket with full armor, Dainese Torque Out Pro Boots, Shoei Qwest full face helmet, Vanson Bonneville road gloves and Levi's 501's.

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #259 on: November 15, 2010, 10:21:26 pm »
These days I'm sportin the "Wet" look... ;D  ;D
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #260 on: November 16, 2010, 01:04:50 am »
chaps?are you riding over to the blue oyster bar?

Offline HawaiiMike

• Enthusiast
    • Hawaii realtor
« Reply #261 on: November 16, 2010, 02:11:19 am »

OMG how many cows gave their life for that?
He makes that ZX-12 look like a CB350.

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #262 on: November 16, 2010, 03:43:26 am »
chaps because its cold in winter and i can ride as long as i can keep my legs out of the wind and warm

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #263 on: November 16, 2010, 04:34:07 am »
I don't have any pic's of me wearing it all...but the jacket...somewhere...

This is what I got:  I bought it when I had money and rode my 04' Z750....would love a new get up...but will ride these on the CB gitchies until I'm rich again! ahah

I have never really gotten used to the gloves...they are bulky... but they offer some excellent knuckle protection!  IN A FIST FIGHT...or Medievil battle! haha

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:42:13 am by HedNut »

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #264 on: November 16, 2010, 07:57:02 am »
ok those gloves are hawt.  shame they probably don't come in ladies' sizes.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline johnrdupree

• Enthusiast
« Reply #265 on: November 16, 2010, 08:12:27 am »
A period look and safety aren't mutually exclusive, but it does seem expensive to get them together.  The helmet is the hard part, IMHO.  Half and three-quarter helmets are everywhere, but a period looking full-face is hard to find.  If you're willing to lay out some dough:

They're from Japan: http://www.tachibana-helmet.com/index.html (click on the Custom Series)

And I swear I've seen something similar from a German company but try as I might, I can't find it again.

~john
1975 Honda CB550K1
1991 Honda ST1100
1989 Suzuki GS500E
1954 NSU Lambretta 125 (long term project)

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
  • two steps forward, two steps back :-/
« Reply #266 on: November 16, 2010, 03:58:38 pm »
i am the evil badarse biker with a soft side

those are some AWESOME handlebars
(on your face)

Offline 72 yellow

• Expert
« Reply #267 on: November 16, 2010, 04:54:24 pm »

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #268 on: November 16, 2010, 05:43:46 pm »
ok those gloves are hawt.  shame they probably don't come in ladies' sizes.

Small all the way up to 4XL and seems to get really good reviews too.  $175 though....
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/37/16960/ITEM/Icon-TiMax-Original-Gloves.aspx

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #269 on: November 16, 2010, 07:04:05 pm »
youch.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Anti-Johnny

• 75 cb750k
  • Hot Shot
  • Poser
« Reply #270 on: November 16, 2010, 07:04:40 pm »
You need some sort of samurai helmet to pull that off. WHICH WOULD BE AWESOME!
www.southaustinmotorcycles.com
 Come by and wrench and have a cold one while enjoying the wide array of rides and riders in Austin!

music

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #271 on: November 16, 2010, 07:11:07 pm »
A period look and safety aren't mutually exclusive, but it does seem expensive to get them together.  The helmet is the hard part, IMHO.  Half and three-quarter helmets are everywhere, but a period looking full-face is hard to find.  If you're willing to lay out some dough:

They're from Japan: http://www.tachibana-helmet.com/index.html (click on the Custom Series)

And I swear I've seen something similar from a German company but try as I might, I can't find it again.

~john

Thanks for the link. I really like this one..

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?u=http%3A//www.tachibana-helmet.com/products_lineup/new_age/stp_standard.html&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=Shift_JIS

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #272 on: November 16, 2010, 09:49:50 pm »
Now if I could just find Luftwaffe dark blue gray on the shelf at the paint store. ;D  
Try a Hobby shop.
You sure it's Luftwaffe Dark blue gray?  I thought Dark Blue gray was a panzer color.  ???

http://www.testors.com/category/136379/WWII_German_Luftwaffe-RLM
http://www.testors.com/category/136417/WWII_German_Panzer_Colors

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #273 on: November 17, 2010, 04:17:31 am »
Oh that M1916 helmet is tooooooooo cool!!   8)

PS....KIT.... I scoured ebay for those gloves and ended up getting a new, unused pair for around $85 shipped (took a few months to get my hands on a good deal...but was worth it!)

Offline the imposter

« Reply #274 on: November 17, 2010, 10:26:50 am »
~Now if I could just find Luftwaffe dark blue gray on the shelf at the paint store.~
try these guys they have very accurate aerosols for that authentic look. ive used them quite a bit with great results.

http://www.1944militaria.com/

there is a section just for spray paint
1975 cb550
1976 cb550 project